PDA

View Full Version : ?? on painted rub rails

1manshow
03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Wanting the pro's and con's of painted rub rails, the ones i have seen look really nice but how do they hold up??

MOBrien
03-16-2006, 10:09 PM
call Jeff (HB..."Washed Ashore") at Smooth As Glass in Riverbank, CA. His shop does it and it looks great. I'm sure when it chips it's a real pisser, but it does look really nice.

Tom Brown
03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
There is no paint or gel that will stand up to mooring and dock rash. I wouldn't do it.

phebus
03-17-2006, 06:04 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I don't know if my rub rail ever really lines up with anything to bump it. It's always higher than docks, and never meets another rub rail when rafted up with other boats. It's just a way of finishing the bond line where the deck and bottom meet.
I really don't think it would be much of a problem if mine was paint.

Never Satisfied
03-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Wanting the pro's and con's of painted rub rails, the ones i have seen look really nice but how do they hold up??
What color you thinking about painting them??

burtandnancy
03-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Matched powder coated on two of my custom boats. One lived, one got a scratch and couldn't be (properly) repaired without complete removal and re-do. Its still better than SS, plastic or rubber on most boats...

XFactor
03-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Is it plastic or aluminum? Big difference on what you can expect on durability. If the plastic isn't preped properly, when and if it chips, it will peel. Aluminum will hold up much better. It has much better adhession properties.

imbndvs
03-17-2006, 09:47 AM
My rails have been painted for 5 years now and I have one small scratch.
However, I don't leave my boat in the slip and when I do park at a dock for a short period or tie up to other boats I use pleanty of bumpers and I have no problems.
I LOVE my rub rails being painted, it gives the boat a much cleaner look.Boats with white or black rub rails look like they are split in half.
Youu do have to be carefull with them being painted but it is well worth it!!

Tom Brown
03-17-2006, 09:48 AM
The thing with plastic is that, if it's the non-gloss variety, you can carefully sand out any marks with some 400 grit paper and it's like new again.

Throttle
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
mine are painted, I have not had any problems. Just dont bump the dock!