PDA

View Full Version : More taxes!?

MikeF
08-13-2002, 02:02 PM
Hey!, I just recieved a "county of orange unsecured property tax billing statement" in the mail and they want some $$.$$. I have owned this boat for some time and have never recieved this before. Has anyone else that lives and has their boat registered in OC that has paid this tax in the past? This is new to me. And this is supposed to be an "annual" tax! :confused: Thanx, Mike

JustMVG
08-13-2002, 02:48 PM
I live in San Berdoo County and just received a notice of tax due, they just seem to want to tax you for having extra cash to spend. If you got it they want thier share.
LA County is doing the same thing

boatlessd
08-13-2002, 04:52 PM
I too have received this tax. I think it is called a personal property tax and it is in OC if your boat is stored there. It is a percentage of the value of your boat. If your value is lower wink then the tax is lower. Another way to get our money. :mad:

01RENEGADE
08-13-2002, 05:52 PM
I had the same thing. I had to pay. It is a unsecured property tax or luxury tax you have to pay it.I think the whole thing is pretty shitty you work and finally get to a point where you could afford something nice and the county wants more money not fair.Thats why some people register thier boat in AZ no tax thier.The same goes for pwc motorhome camper boat they screw you no matter what.

hoolign
08-13-2002, 05:58 PM
WELCOME TO CANADA
You will now be taxed on everything possible,40 %on income over 60.000
cigarettes will now cost you 10.00 a pack,if you live in B.C. you will pay 7% provincial tax
+7% gst{goods and services tax] even if it's been sold 123 times,you will pay up to 92 cents a litre for fuel,if you move to Alberta we will hide the sales tax so it only looks like youre getting taxed once,....yes welcome to Canada,
****in Goverments....oh well...back to the vodka
:p

MikeF
08-13-2002, 06:42 PM
Sounds then like it was just a matter of time before they found me. Guess it's been good for awhile now they want me to pay up :( . Could be worse.....could be living up in Canada wink . Thanx for the responses. Mike

Charley
08-13-2002, 07:25 PM
register the boat and the trailer in AZ......

Charley
08-13-2002, 07:26 PM
IM SORRY I HAVE NO IDEA WHY MY AVATAR IS SO F=ING BIG!!!!!!- eek!

Havasu_Dreamin
08-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Charley:
register the boat and the trailer in AZ......Charley is right, to a point. It has been explained on other threads about this that a CA registered vehicle towing an AZ registered boat trailer is a sure ticket from the CHP. However, a boat registeed in AZ on a CA registered trailer is no problem.
Also, my understanding is that the Coast Guard regulations mandate that your boat MUST be registered in the state that it is primarily used in. That's one way around the tax.

HM
08-13-2002, 09:59 PM
OC has been doing battle on this personal property tax for a few years now. Even people with AZ registration are finding themselves with tax bills from OC. If you claim to use it 90% or more in AZ, you are supposed to be exempt, but have heard mixed results the past couple of years. You can probably search it at the OC Register as it has been in that paper several times.
My boat was valued at $1000 when I bought it (including trailer) and registration is $7/year! Trailer is $21/year. I don't think I will make any of the tax collectors highlite sheets!

River Gambler
08-14-2002, 08:20 AM
It doesn't matter which state it is registered in, it is where it is stored most of the time. They get your info from the state DMV when you pay your registration. If you do not pay the tax they will put a tax lien on your house. If you provide them with an Az address where you keep your boat and let them know you boat mostly (51%) on out of state or boarding waters they will wave the taxes.

river-rat
08-14-2002, 08:53 AM
I think I remember seeing one of you guys sending receipts to the tax collector for paid storage outside of California. If you use the vessel 51% of the time or more outide of Ca. waters and store it the majority of the time outside the state, I don't think California has a leg to stand on regardless of where your residence is. Like HD says, the trailer has to be reg in Ca. if you are a Ca resident.

MikeF
08-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Does someone know how to find an approximate value (such as Kelly BB) on the value of boats (not on the kbb site....I looked there). I know what the boat is worth to me wink .....just where does the state get the info on for their calculations. Maybe I can lower the tax a little? Thanx again!

Livin Large 27Hallett
08-14-2002, 01:03 PM
My ols boat was registered in Ca and I was paying that tax for the last 6 years. It is nothing new, they are just catching up with you. I now have my new boat registered in AZ and have not been nor I should be it with the tax. My last boat was about $60.00 a year luxury tax they called it.

cal-air
08-14-2002, 01:17 PM
MikeF:
Does someone know how to find an approximate value (such as Kelly BB) on the value of boats (not on the kbb site....I looked there). I know what the boat is worth to me wink .....just where does the state get the info on for their calculations. Maybe I can lower the tax a little? Thanx again!Try Nada Guides (http://www.nadaguides.com) they have boat values. And best of all.......IT'S FREE!!!!!

USCLB41
08-14-2002, 04:48 PM
So if I buy a 40k boat, what am I roughly looking at as far as this lux tax goes?

river-rat
08-14-2002, 05:21 PM
I think it is roughly 1% of value. I'msure it's tiered as the value increases. You could probably expect a $400 California luxary tax bill. Here is a question... since it is a type of personal property tax don't you get to deduct it against income on your tax return?(schedule A)

MikeF
08-15-2002, 05:47 PM
cal-air:
MikeF:
Does someone know how to find an approximate value (such as Kelly BB) on the value of boats (not on the kbb site....I looked there). I know what the boat is worth to me wink .....just where does the state get the info on for their calculations. Maybe I can lower the tax a little? Thanx again!Try Nada Guides (http://www.nadaguides.com) they have boat values. And best of all.......IT'S FREE!!!!!I called the "ASSessor" wink today and was given another website. www.buc.com (http://www.buc.com)
Still did not have my boat, tried to explain to the auditor about a correct tax amount for my boat and almost ended up paying for a few back years (gotta keep my mouth shut sometimes!!). Thanx everyone, Mike