PDA

View Full Version : I splashed DANA! well kinda

superdave013
02-12-2003, 09:59 AM
RTJas posted some pics of his pimp gas caps that are on his new Lavey. Here's Jason's set up. I think it's a DANA part. Well they have one on their web site that looks like it anyway.
http://www.rivertoys.com/LaveyMeAlone/images/lma_1ia.jpg
Now I like that and wanted something kinda like it but not an exact spash. And that bezel is to large to fit in my space.
I already had the caps so this is what I came up with. I used 6 bolts instead of 12 and made it as small as I could. I got a little fancy with the inside so it wouldn't hold water in it. I also ported the caps because that's the vent for my tanks. They only had one 3/16" hole for a vent. Now it has 12 of them.
These should look pretty pimp when they get polished and anno.
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/gas_cap_bezels2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/gas_cap_bezels.JPG
[ February 12, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Jordy
02-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Nice work SD. When do we start production as I need a new set for my boat... :D :D

superdave013
02-12-2003, 10:03 AM
jordanpaulk:
Nice work SD. When do we start production as I need a new set for my boat... :D :D These are sized to cover up the holds left by the old flip top caps like my boat used to have.

Tom Brown
02-12-2003, 10:10 AM
Hey Dave,
Have you ever thought of having a billet poured that would let you plow out an entire hull using your mill? :D
Fantastic work, by the way. :) :) :)

LeE ss13
02-12-2003, 10:15 AM
[/QUOTE]These are sized to cover up the holds left by the old flip top caps like my boat used to have. [/QB][/QUOTE]
Do you still have the old flip top ones ??? If you do, I would like to buy them. I have a collection of them.

mbrown2
02-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Great work Dave

superdave013
02-12-2003, 10:21 AM
RiverDave:
SuperDave, can you explain the "porting" a little more? I see some holes in the bottom of the Cap, but I can't see where they go.
Those ports are the vents for the fuel tank? So you know longer have to run a seperate Vent?
RD Here you go Dave. It did only have on hole. And it has an o ring that covers half of it. O ring not shown for your viewing pleasure. :D
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/gas_cap_ported.JPG

superV
02-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Nice work SuperDave. Hey do you still have your old tow rig? The 84 i think it was...

superdave013
02-12-2003, 10:24 AM
LeE ss13:
These are sized to cover up the holds left by the old flip top caps like my boat used to have. [/b][/QUOTE]
Do you still have the old flip top ones ??? If you do, I would like to buy them. I have a collection of them. [/QB][/QUOTE]
No, they were changed before I got it. But the holes were left behind!
Tom, I would need a tad larger mill to do that. But I'ed like to!

superdave013
02-12-2003, 10:26 AM
superV:
Nice work SuperDave. Hey do you still have your old tow rig? The 84 i think it was... nope

Tom Brown
02-12-2003, 10:31 AM
You could improve those vents by machining in little NACA ducts? :D :D :D

Jordy
02-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Dammit RD you ask way to many questions... :D :D :D

superdave013
02-12-2003, 10:34 AM
RiverDave:
How far does the Cap screw into the filler?
Do you have any side view pics of the filler as well?
(I'm wondering how much of those holes are covered up? By looking at it, it looks like it would cover them about 1/2 way.)
Not really sure if that post is called a "Filler" or not..
2nd Question
Is the filler being held to the Bezel now, and the Bezel holds the entire assembly onto the boat?
Or are you securing the Bezel to the filler and the filler holds it?
Or are both through going to be through bolted into the hull?
RD The o ring does cover the holes up about half way. That's why I drilled 12 of them and also I milled the little slots in there so it kinda opens it up even more.
The cap has it's own base. That is all from REX and I already had it. The hole in the boat is to big to bold the REX base to. That's why I needed the larger bezel. I could have threaded the bezel and not used the REX base. Right now the REX bas is bolted to the bezel and the bezel will be bolted to the boat with the six 10-24 bolts.

Blown 472
02-12-2003, 10:38 AM
River"The keeper of tech stuff" Dave should start one, you have some stroke here dontcha? :D

twistedpair
02-12-2003, 10:42 AM
RiverDave:
Very cool. :)
I swear there should be a forum for some of the cool at home fabrication stuff that people are doing. Otherwise it always just gets lost in the mix with everything else.
RD Great idea! How about "Homegrown How-To", although that may confuse the NorCal/Humboldt County contingent! wink :D

AZKC
02-12-2003, 01:38 PM
RiverDave:
I swear there should be a forum for some of the cool at home fabrication stuff that people are doing. Otherwise it always just gets lost in the mix with everything else.
RD Hell sounds like time for another Web Site, not nearly enough to keep us busy anyway boxed
KC

Johnwithjm
02-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Nice work Dave. So when is that boat of yours going to hit the water?

hack job
02-12-2003, 02:02 PM
dave i will be needing a set of those they look killer. wink

superdave013
02-12-2003, 02:08 PM
hack job:
dave i will be needing a set of those they look killer. wink Let me know and I'll hook you up!
Here are the ones from DANA.
http://www.danamarineproducts.com/PartImages/PIC00622.JPG

superdave013
02-12-2003, 02:09 PM
Johnwithjm:
Nice work Dave. So when is that boat of yours going to hit the water? The day after it gets done! :cool:
[ February 12, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Sangster
02-12-2003, 02:16 PM
twistedpair:
RiverDave:
RD Great idea! How about "Homegrown How-To", although that may confuse the NorCal/Humboldt County contingent! wink :D That's what I'm talkin' about.....
smile_sp sleeping smile_sp
http://www.hightimes.com/htsite/images/pix_thumb.jpg

schiada96
02-12-2003, 02:18 PM
He can't do anthing till the asshole gives him the strut, see ya at the boat show sd

superdave013
02-12-2003, 02:20 PM
schiada96:
He can't do anthing till the asshole gives him the strut, see ya at the boat show sd LOL, no, I still have lots to do. But that will sure help that's for sure.
[ February 12, 2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

SPECTRABRENT
02-13-2003, 02:34 PM
Dave,
I want a set of those bezels too.
How much?
Brent

superdave013
02-13-2003, 03:24 PM
SPECTRABRENT:
Dave,
I want a set of those bezels too.
How much?
Brent check your PM

Kwicherbichen
02-14-2003, 12:40 AM
Superdave,
Those look real trick, nice work.
On another note, I was wondering what the name of the polisher you use in Buena Park is and can you provide a phone # or address? Email it to me when you have a chance.

superdave013
02-14-2003, 07:06 AM
Kwicherbichen:
Superdave,
Those look real trick, nice work.
On another note, I was wondering what the name of the polisher you use in Buena Park is and can you provide a phone # or address? Email it to me when you have a chance. The name of the place is "Dean's".
I'll have to dig up the #.

TOBTEK
02-14-2003, 08:23 AM
those look great S/D.....so where will your booth be at the LA boatshow :D Wish you had made those a few years back when I had the little Lavey. The old flip tops were way dated! I called everybody trying to get something like this. Im sure will be selling a ton of those to pep's updating their rig's.
One question though.......With the twelve vent hole only half coverd by the o-ring, is it possible for any water to get into the fuel tank? that would be a bummer......

superdave013
02-14-2003, 08:37 AM
TOBTEK:
those look great S/D.....so where will your booth be at the LA boatshow :D Wish you had made those a few years back when I had the little Lavey. The old flip tops were way dated! I called everybody trying to get something like this. Im sure will be selling a ton of those to pep's updating their rig's.
One question though.......With the twelve vent hole only half coverd by the o-ring, is it possible for any water to get into the fuel tank? that would be a bummer...... I bet your old flip tops were vented also. Most are. Yes water could be a problem. That's why I spent the extra time to open up the bottom of the bezel so it won't collect in there. I don't think it will be any more of a problem them any other vented cap.

superdave013
02-14-2003, 09:22 AM
RiverDave:
Dave's going to be gearing up for production pretty quick. :D
RD That was not my plan but who knows??
I might make a batch and see how they go.