PDA

View Full Version : RIce Road to Havasu and Parker (Be Safe)

TCHB
07-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Last Friday while on the way to Havasu we saw another car upside down on the side of the road. The car was a new Infinity Q35 in bad shape. The person in the car (women) did not make it. It looked like she was passing a car and cut back in and lost control. The car flipped when it hit the sand burm. I know a lot of people travel Rice Road and travel a little on the fast side but after seeing the accidnet I am slowing down.

hot_diggity_dog
07-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Please do be safe. wink
And when another car or truck is passing you let them, and back off the throttle. :rolleyes: :mad:
No need to make the situation any less safe by F$@#%#%#%king with people passing, :mad: let them. :rolleyes:
HDD :cool:

TCHB
07-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Yes I agree!!!!! It seems like Rice Road becomes a race tract to the river. After seeing the women dead it really makes you think. If you get to the river 15 minutes earlier who cares!!!!!

carbonmarine
07-14-2003, 08:16 PM
I driving the lifted Excursion & had the 32 intow w/a triple axle trailor....Big rig..
I got popped on Rice a few weeks back for 81 mph ..... and The Chp'r wrote it as he saw it
It sucks getting a ticket .. Especially a BS ticket, but this one - I gotta take it like a man. I broke the law....
Now as far as Rice Road & Danger is concerned. There is one real deadly spot .... On the way back to Desert Center... Right past th4 29 Palms turn off.. There's that sweeeping Left turn that keep's going & going & going ..... You can actually see the tire skidders and many times I have seen cars mangled at that point ......
Rick32

Jrocket
07-14-2003, 08:19 PM
I hate that road.I try to go through really early in the morning,when theres minimal traffic.4-6 am or so.

SCUBA STEVE
07-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Not sure if anyone posted this, but my friend was some where on rice road, or the 95 before havasu, (he is new to traveling that way and couldnt tell me exactly where) he said a mustang took out a lifted f250 on Thursday night the 3rd for the long weekend. He said the driver of the mustang was driving on the wrong side of the road, and just went head on the the f250. My friend was behind the f250, both vehicles in tow, luckly my friend was far enough behind to stop in time. He also claimed the driver of the mustang was drunk, and the driver of the mustang tried to say the f250 was on the wrong side of the road. To my suprise the driver of the mustang survived.
HDD you make a very good point, if someone is passing you up, LET THEM.

moonridgecat
07-14-2003, 10:21 PM
This past sunday night at about 8:30 on the way home from the river i saw another vehicle off the side of the road. It looked like the car had rolled. When i went by there was a fire engine and 2 chps on site. the people were laying on the ground off the side of the road and were being worked on. Sad sight.

mmered8299
07-15-2003, 04:19 AM
Those Q35 are supposed to be one of the safest cars around. I test drove one a while back. I opited for the Ford Lighting!

TCHB
07-18-2003, 03:30 PM
The car was ripped apart. The front springs were laying 100 ft from the car??? I could not figure that one out. I heard they were safe cars but it looked pretty banged up and the women was DOA.

BUSTI
07-18-2003, 04:24 PM
What a terrible thing. my prayers are with the victims and their families. The problem with the Rice road is 1st its only two lanes and the passing makes it a risky route even at the speed limiy, 2nd the dippsey doos make visiblity hard at times its like driving on rollercoaster tracks...up and down over and under, 3rdly people drive way to fast, and lastly there isn't enough roon to even change a tire with out risking getting stuck on the side of the shoulder because its so soft. since 1964 I have seen 3 fatal crashes on this stretch and heard of least as many! Personally I leave Parker and go up the Poston road to Blythe to the I10 and cruise at 75 all the way with little or no traffic. In all the years Ive been going up AZ 95 through the CRIT farm country I have never seen a fatal crash. yeah its 20 miles longer however most times its 20 minutes faster than Rice because theres no traffic. No way would I go Rice! Just to maybe save a few minutes at best. After a great weekend at the river i dont want some bad driver ruining my life and kill me and my family. Thats my 2 cents!

AzDon
07-18-2003, 07:49 PM
Now as far as Rice Road & Danger is concerned. There is one real deadly spot .... On the way back to Desert Center... Right past th4 29 Palms turn off.. There's that sweeeping Left turn that keep's going & going & going ..... You can actually see the tire skidders and many times I have seen cars mangled at that point ......
Rick32 [/QB]Headed southwest, you've got soft sand shoulders from the time you turn south from the traintracks and after you go past Iron Mtn, the visibility becomes VERY poor until after Haytruck curve (the one you refer to!) That curve is at the bottom of a REALLY steep hill and has two dips in it. I've seen about five hay trucks dump their rear trailers on that curve! After another 12 mile straightaway, there is another double-dip curve and another treacherous dip right in front of the gas station at Desert Center. I too saw that car upside down last Friday and my thought was "no seatbelt!" I'm amazed frequently about how casual people act about their safety on Rice rd. and even more amazed when I see fireman decal on the back of one of these "maniac" rigs!

Trailer Park Casanova
07-18-2003, 10:49 PM
We travel it in the morning, avoiding Friday nights.
All the carnage we've wittnessed on Rice Road over the decades is usually Friday night.
CHP Ofc Munchasen, you can see his memorial just outta the corner of your right eye as you pass the Joshua Trees/29 palms turnoff, told us that you can tow up 65MPH before they'll write ya.
By the way, he was killed at that intersection on Rice Road in line of duty.
I usually tow under 65MPH, and am constantly passed by trucks towing boats.

Kilrtoy
07-18-2003, 11:03 PM
even more amazed when I see fireman decal on the back of one of these "maniac" rigs!
Common They are angels, fireman never do wrong or anyone else for that fact, only cops drive like shit heads