PDA

View Full Version : Marine Power Gaining Market Share.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-12-2003, 11:52 AM
We noticed at the Boat Show more boat builders are dropping Mercury.
Starting to see more OEM's using Volvo Penta, Indmar, and now Marine Power picking more business.
The builders tell us that Marine Power is the same GM Vortec Motor, but tuned to run with more power for a lot less money that Merc.
Also that Marine Power offers a longer warranty, and easier servicing and is much more generous with warranty coverage than Merc.
Plus better customer support from Marine Power.
One mechanic said it takes just a few minutes to replace the pickup impeller in Marine Power motor vs having to remove the entire pump & dissasemble the pump on the bench on the small block Mercs.
Tige' dropped Merc for Marine Power last month. That has to be a big hit for Mercury.
Anyone know if Marine Power is traded publicly? And their stock symbol?
The builders and dealers seem to love this company. May be worth investing in, looks like theyre moving ahead.
I got one of the last Mercs in our new boat so the only advantage for me is I can keep wearing my Mercury T shirts.

Jbb
10-12-2003, 11:55 AM
The engine in my boat started out as a Marine Power 502 sport pack Premium 100+ hours and still going strong!
http://extremeboatsmag.com/photos/data/507/86dscf0058-med.jpg

Jungle Boy
10-12-2003, 12:09 PM
I had a 350 ci Marine power in my first jetboat about 7 years ago and it detonated due to poor fuel. They replaced it for free. They were just starting to sell a bunch of these engine to Eagle and must have wanted to stay in their good books. Either way, I was happy with them.

Froggystyle
10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
I had my choice of whatever engines I wanted to put into the Revolution, and I chose Marine Power. Not just because of price or power, but their willingness to participate in a test program with me, and consider a stock, warrantied whipple-charged powerplant.
They have been flawless with me to this point.
Two thumbs way up!

Mandelon
10-13-2003, 04:24 PM
Mine is running well. :D Pushes me way up on those sandbars without a problem. :rolleyes: :D

burtandnancy
10-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Trailer Park, I agree Marine Power puts out a good product. What kind of high performance drive system do they offer and keep pricing under Merc?

Trailer Park Casanova
10-13-2003, 09:54 PM
burtandnancy:
Trailer Park, I agree Marine Power puts out a good product. What kind of high performance drive system do they offer and keep pricing under Merc? Merc offers several Vortec 350s.
A 275hp carb model
A 315 HP FI $1200 x tra cost
A 330 HP FI $3500 xtra cost
a 340 HP FI $4000 xtra cost
The Marine Power 335HP is priced less than the 275HP carb edition Merc according to the owner of a 909 boat dealer we talked to. Plus the Merc has only a 1 year warranty, Marine Power is a 3 year. Also, and a BFD is Marine power wants to go to engine hours rather than callender time.
This would be a plus for owners.
Most the new motors have the dash hour meter, and the oil pressure/FI hour reading. The warranty would be based on the Oil Press/FI hours because it's often less elapsed time, and less likely to be boot legged.
Anyway,, a good deal for boat owners.

superdave013
10-14-2003, 04:18 AM
Well I don't think they will get that much of the market share.
They are nice engine packages don't get me wrong. And a great choice for any new boat that does not have an outdrive.
To bad most of the new boats these days are set up for I/O's. Jets and inboard ski boats are not the majorty of the market by a long shot.
The day they come out with an outdrive that out performs and is more cost effective then a mercuiser engine / drive package then someone better look out.

LaveyJet
10-14-2003, 09:27 AM
Marine Power may have a good product but getting one is a real pain in the ass. I ordered a 21’ Lavey Craft with a 502 Marine Power Jet in the end of August. The boat is done, sans motor. Going on the third week of empty promises from Marine Power.

SCUBA STEVE
10-14-2003, 10:15 AM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
The engine in my boat started out as a Marine Power 502 sport pack Premium 100+ hours and still going strong!
http://extremeboatsmag.com/photos/data/507/86dscf0058-med.jpg Hey My 502 doesnt look like that. :D Oh I guess because mine is stock.... :cool: :)

Lightning
10-14-2003, 10:17 AM
I have a Marine Power motor in my boat and I have had nothing but good things to say about it. Their customer service is top notch and they build a awesome motor - a lot nicer than Indmar in my opinion.