PDA

View Full Version : ***boat Flaw(please read and reply)

Phat_Kat
06-09-2003, 07:35 PM
I have found something wrong with ***boat and many other boating magazines and that is their cruelty towards manufactures. I'm not saying that they're going overboard I'm saying they're way under. The most these companies ever get is a little wave of the finger over their boat if it is off. What I personally would like to see is a good tough critic going after these builders like it's nobodies business. You guys may say this is stupid but look at the tech industry. Especially look at games and even more look at PC games! Look how far we've come in a short time! You know how we got there? Because game reviewers would humiliate the crap out of developers if they messed up. If consistantly messed up the fun they'd let you know it. I think we should be doing the same to builders like DCB and Eliminator no matter how nice the boats are. These boats have noticable flaws and they should be noted and made well known. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd like to know where each boat succeeds and fails in reality. I'm sick of reading "it turns like it's on rails!" and when I drive it the thing doesn't fit that description. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Infomaniac
06-09-2003, 07:45 PM
You are way behind on this topic dude. Do a search for similar discussions.

Phat_Kat
06-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Infomaniac:
You are way behind on this topic dude. Do a search for similar discussions. ok well whatever,
hey info where are those fonts?

mbrown2
06-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Hot Boat is not anymore guilty than Car and Driver, Road and Track, Cycle World, etc...just the constant struggle between reporting the truth, and advertising revenue retention...

Infomaniac
06-09-2003, 07:48 PM
The advertising dollar is like beer goggles.
You will have to read between the lines.
Looking for the fonts now. Many stacks of CD Archives.

eliminatedsprinter
06-10-2003, 09:08 AM
I read it for entertainment. I love the speed tests, pictures, babes eek! , reader rides, etc. However, I have learned the hard way that any mag that takes ad doller's reviews can't be trusted. If you are interested in buying a certin type of boat, look for them on the water, ramps, driveways etc, and ask their owners about them. You will get far more straight info if you send out a thread on this forum about a builder than you will from a mag.

eliminatedsprinter
06-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Phat cat
I dosen't look like you are getting many replies here. Perhaps it's because many wives read this forum and the men are afraid to admit they only read HB for the pictures. :D

roln 20s
06-10-2003, 02:46 PM
I agree with you too Phat-Kat, but its all about the advertising Revenue.
I know there are a couple cats that have been tested, and know that they were porpoising, but you never saw that in writing. I want to pay for accurate tests. Criticism of a porpoising cat would make the manufacturer change a little part of the bottom to get rid of the problem (assuming no one elses cats were porpoising.) But overall, I like their magazine, they do point out gel flaws, mold work waves, ride quality, build quality, installation, etc...but then smooth it over a little bit right after. My theory, the DCB's always get rave reviews for their detail and installation, so when I read a test that doesn't mention quality of installation or details, I assume they aren't that great. But, its a business, can you blame them?
Roln 20s

Phat_Kat
06-10-2003, 03:29 PM
roln 20s:
But, its a business, can you blame them?
Actually I can

Ziggy
06-10-2003, 03:40 PM
The all mighty dollar reigns supreme---There are plenty of folks that will interpret what they read to their own liking......or have reservations. Depends on what they are exactly trying to get out of any test or article. How many times have you turned the blind eye to what you've read(because you know better)??

LHC30Victory
06-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Who thinks that Consumer Reports will create a custom boat review department? Would that give us what we want while allowing ***boat and Powerboat mags the freedom to entertain us?

Trailer Park Casanova
06-10-2003, 03:54 PM
I understand your point. I have bought two new boats that didn't plane properly.
No writeup mentioned it.
Sooo,,, I buy no boat until I ride on, and hang out with, someone who already owns one.
OK,, ya ain't the first on the river to have it,, but you've saved yourself lots of grief.
In Calif., the Lemon Law now includes boats, so it can be of some help.
But I see your point,, "Youzzz pays yur monies,, and youzzz takes yur chances."- Popeye

little rowe boat
06-10-2003, 04:05 PM
We know that HB isn't going to slam it's advertisers.The boat builders are not going to tell us about the flaws in their boats.Until consumer reports starts reporting on boats,the only choice we have are test drives and word of mouth. argue

NastyOne
06-10-2003, 04:06 PM
little rowe boat:
We know that HB isn't going to slam it's advertisers.The boat builders are not going to tell us about the flaws in their boats.Until consumer reports starts reporting on boats,the only choice we have are test drives and word of mouth. argue Gotta agree with you.