PDA

View Full Version : Really hot boat

FishBoneRipple III
09-17-2002, 10:58 AM
If you haven't seen this boat, it's worth a look. I met the owner at a boat show - and he is one boat-obsessed person. The entire boat has been hand crafted to his "design team's" specs.
For example, I asked about the windshield - a frameless wrap around with compound curves that is attached directly in back of the dash, so it looks like it just plunges into the deck. He said it was a custom mold & required 50 attempts (bubbles in the glass, etc.) to get the one for the boat. Seats are custom molded foam with marine leather.
Motor was built by Keith Eichert specifically for the boat. There are no hoses on the motor, all plumbing is custom stainless. It has a surface piercing prop and throws a big rooster tail at speed. He says at sea level, the boat's been clocked at just over 100mph.
They are for sale - I was afraid to ask the price...
The link is to the boat builder's website as the one for Alpha Z takes waaaaay too long to load even with a T-1 connection. Go to the bottom of the web page & look at the galleries - enjoy!
Van Damm Woodworks (http://vandamwoodcraft.com/frames/alphazindexmm.html)

572Daytona
09-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Very nice looking boat but I would have to question the 100mph claim. From what I can see it is a single engine 825hp 30ft V-hull, it is hard to make a single engine 30ft cat go 100mph yet alone a vhull.

Rickster
09-18-2002, 07:22 AM
I've been wondering for about 15 years when someone would copy the rear drive units of R/C Nitro model raceboats and utilize a surface drive unit design ideas. Surface drives allow the use of a larger prop because not all of the prop is under water and this allows the props to spin at a higher RPM, props however can be critical, they can lift or not lift the hull, they can shoot the water too high in a rooster tail and loose power. R/C Boaters went from sub-surface drives to surface drives and increased speeds considerably. In 1992 the top speeds of a 1 Cubic Inch Nitro Motor in a 38" V-Hull was about 50 MPH with a sub surface drive...surface drives now run 65-72 MPH.

Froggystyle
09-19-2002, 08:31 PM
I hated selling mine... wink
What a beautiful boat! I'll take two.

locogringo
09-19-2002, 10:24 PM
I thinka I gotta Woody!

locogringo
09-19-2002, 10:37 PM
RiverDave:
I certainly don't want to say the wrong thing here, but the very thing the guy is proud of kinda turned me off.
He said it was a custom mold & required 50 attempts (bubbles in the glass, etc.) to get the one for the boat.That tells me he's using rubber molds (or epoxy molds) and pouring in a thermoset casting material. :(
Two things
A. the guys gotta get better at casting
B. Shouldn't use prototype methods on a piece of machinery as nice as that.
Realistically he coulda had some plexi bent up to whatever shape he wanted... sure it woulda have cost a little more, but on a boat like that??
I wouldn't think it would matter.
RDI'm ready to start a boat company RD.... lets go!
LOL

U-Haul
09-20-2002, 06:43 AM
It is hard to walk when you got a woodie!

BlownCole
09-21-2002, 05:00 AM
This picture made me think streetrod , the trailered allways being rubbed on never actually driven on the street type of streetrod. http://www.vandamwoodcraft.com/frames/scan6.jpg If I had a woody like that I would be constantly polishing and rubbing on it.

Clown
09-21-2002, 05:09 AM
BlownCole You hit the nail right on the head with that one!!!!

FishBoneRipple III
09-23-2002, 11:57 AM
He actually uses it quite a bit. According to the owner, mostly in Michigan - he grew up in Petosky, MI - and still likes the Great Lakes. The really funny part was watching them paddle it inside the marina because the engine wouldn't idle at the 5mph speed limit.
As far as polishing it - all they did was wash it off with lake water & dry it with a chamois.

shockwavebd
09-25-2002, 06:03 PM
WOW! eek! eek! :D