PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell

Lightning
07-21-2003, 08:57 AM
I am planning a trip to Lake Powell for next summer, does anyone have suggestions on houseboat companies? or suggestions on anything else, like where to launch from, etc....

RacerX
07-21-2003, 09:14 AM
Great choice, it's the absolute best lake to go for a true vacation. We have 3 families that go every year and we've NEVER been disappointed.
Just go to Lake Powell.com and you can pull up the houseboat vendor for the lake. The rates are pretty much regulated by the Forest Surface. The company that has the contract has the system down very well and things run very smooth.
Living in San Diego, the closest launch/rental is out of Wawheap.
Feel free to e-mail me (racerx20@hotmail.com) directly if you have any specific quections. :D

roln 20s
07-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Exactly what RacerX said. Its a great vacation spot, one of my all time favorites and a houseboat is definately the way to go. I have only heard good things from those people renting through lakepowell.com. And for the most part, I hear their houseboats are in good shape and relatively new.
RacerX--do you have a timeshare in a houseboat?
I think I am going to try and buy in on a boat in a couple years or so. I saw two summer weeks (June and August) and one off season week on a 1999 75' Stardust in the boattrader for $7500. Thats a great deal. If I was only ready to make a move.
Roln 20s

RacerX
07-21-2003, 10:46 AM
We tried to buy into a houseboat this year, we were all set to go on a 2003 73' boat but due to the economy and low water, the companies sales were really slow and they didn't build our boat. At least we were refunded our $$.
You can buy into a shared ownership - they don't call them timeshares since you can't trade them or rent them - and $7500 would be a screaming deal. A fixed week in the Summer on a 2004 boat is about $25K. It sounds like alot but if you go yearly, you make up your money on the 4th year. The "high end" 59' Admiral rental boat is about $7K for the week. Once again, it sounds high but it can sleep 4 families of 4. We split the costs on EVERYTHING and it ends up being $10k for the week --- or $2500 per family for an entire week. I'd say that's a screaming deal considering me it's going to cost me over $5K for a D-World trip that won't be nearly as much fun, entertaining, peaceful or sceneic!!!

89checkmate
07-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Lightning,
I made my first trip to Lake Powell last year and it was awsome. It is now on our boating schedule every year.
If you can not get enough friends to commit to the houseboat, don't let that stop you, you can stay at the Wahweap Lodge, it has a few restaurants, they accept pets and they are right next to the boat ramp.
http://desertusa.travelhero.com/index.cfm/aid/247/id/61268/city/PAGE/index.htmltml
We are leaving for our trip this year in a few weeks Aug 6th-12th. I can't WAIT!!! :D

Lightning
07-21-2003, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.... Does anybody have info on any other companies that rent houseboats besides the one that is on lakepowell.com?? I did not find too much on the internet.
89checkmate, Have you stayed at the Lodge or just seen it.
RacerX, thanks for the info.

SoCalOffshore
07-21-2003, 01:12 PM
They run specials on the housebotat reantals before June 1 and after August 30th. You end up saving almost 50%.

roln 20s
07-21-2003, 01:13 PM
Have you stayed at the Lodge or just seen it. I have stayed there a couple times. Great place, atleast I liked it. Request a room with a view of the marina or lake- you will be glad you did. Accommodations are good, great access to the ramp, the only bad thing is any scenic lake trips take tons of gas $$$, but thats expected.
A fixed week in the Summer on a 2004 boat is about $25K. Yeah, I meant shared ownership. Thanks for the correction. Exactly, that was the price that I saw at the Phx show this year too- about 22-25K for a prime summer week. No doubt it is a good buy at 25K, but if I see another $7500 deal, I might just have to jump on it.
Have you noticed that people usually keep their ownership for 4-5 years, and then upgrade to a new boat? I've had a couple of family friends that have done that, seems crazy to me.
Roln 20s

Havasu'N'Huskers
07-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Powell is beautiful. Just try not to go during the monsoon season. Unless your comfortable in 4-5 rollers, high winds, and rain!!

89checkmate
07-21-2003, 08:22 PM
Lightning:
Thanks for all the info guys.... Does anybody have info on any other companies that rent houseboats besides the one that is on lakepowell.com?? I did not find too much on the internet.
89checkmate, Have you stayed at the Lodge or just seen it.
RacerX, thanks for the info. We stayed at the lodge last year and are doing the same in a few weeks and we love it. the best thing that we like is that they also have room service. We usually stay over in Vegas on the way and on the way back.

89checkmate
07-21-2003, 08:25 PM
This link has some helpful info:
http://www.riverlakes.com/

DEEZ NUTTS
07-21-2003, 08:35 PM
Havasu'N'Huskers:
Powell is beautiful. Just try not to go during the monsoon season. Unless your comfortable in 4-5 rollers, high winds, and rain!! Monsoon season can be the best time to go. The afternoon storms almost always are short and drop the temp in a hurry. Just make shure everything is tied well and take a nap in the cool afternoon. Or go out and get some air under the boat in the offshore conditions :D

Raskal
07-21-2003, 09:12 PM
heading there in 2 weeks for a week should be a great time can't wait to try out the motor home