PDA

View Full Version : Must Have's On A Boat...Per Coast Gurard Req.

NOTALENT
03-17-2006, 09:52 AM
So after reading Karls thread, I thought this could be a good refresher....What item's are required to be on a boat at all times......Other then women, beer, beads, beer bongs, pasties etc... :D 3 Please add to the list...its hard to think today...Havasu is the only thing on my mind.... :crossx:
1. Fire Extinguisher
2. Air Horn
3. First Aid Kit
4. Live Vests (one per person on the boat)

phebus
03-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Throw cushion

Dave C
03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
blender, plenty of ice.

BADBLOWN572
03-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Two fire extinguishers if boat is over 25'. Also need a paddle.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Arizona Game and Fish regulations. (http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_recreation/boating_laws.pdf) Granted it is dated 2005 but I'm sure it is still relevant.
USCG equipment regulations. (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equipment.htm)
USCG quick reference guide for required equipment (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_refchart.htm)

Hardly Satisfied
03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
you need a oar

Havasu Luvr
Last year I allowed the U.S. Coast Guard to board my vessel for a curtesy inspection. I was made aware of a few things I did not know about coastal waters and the length of my vessel. If I remember correctly for a 25'+ vessel navagating outside of harbors I needed a few extra items and a few recommended items... such as
bailing bucket, battery post protectors, first aid, communication, signaling device, hailing device, some kind of Coast Guard form containing information of disposing items into the ocean blue, 2 fire ext.
It's always good to know these things.... They will put a inspection sticker on the helm side so other US Coast Guards vessel can see that your vessel and captain has complied. I ask why on the helm side and they informed me that all vessel's of authority will approach on the port side and the sticker will be visable on the helm on the starboard side. Something else I did not know.....this is good :rollside:

roostwear
Less than 39 foot you can have a whistle or horn.

LakeRacer
03-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Throw cushion It's a type iv throwable and it doesn't need to be a cushion. It could be a floating ring...although I don't think I'd want one of those on my boat. As long as it is CG approved.
Speaking of easily accessible. Your definition and the LE's definition might be two different things. Something to think about. Especially for the safety of you and your passengers. In a real emergency, in the heat of the moment, when emotions are running high as well as the adrenalin, how easy will it be to get to the life vests and/or the throwable???

HYPNAUTIC
03-18-2006, 01:03 AM
almost all of us here carry an air horn but rarely test them before/ during the season. as a precaution i also carry a whistle. worth the $2-3 in my opinion. and worth alot more if stoped by LE doing a safety check and finding a dead airhorn.

H20 Toie
03-18-2006, 01:47 AM
l;yo dont needa padddle if its over a sertin lengh dummy bu t idont no what the lengh is so i gueass i am the duum y oh well

shueman
03-18-2006, 07:12 AM
almost all of us here carry an air horn but rarely test them before/ during the season. as a precaution i also carry a whistle. worth the $2-3 in my opinion. and worth alot more if stoped by LE doing a safety check and finding a dead airhorn.
Put a whistle on your lanyard....

THOR
03-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Throwable floatation device
Sound device (air horn, whistle)
Life vests for every person AND THEY ALL MUST FIT
Fire ex.
Oar
You dont need a first aid device that I am aware of

Debbolas
03-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Lake Mead
Memorial Day Weekend
Launch Line
The park rangers where pulling the boats out of the launch line to check for
2-fire extinquishers if the boat is over a certain length
one life vest per person on board
Throw Cushion (Didicudmore was written up for lack of this :()
Titties And Beer has a great idea, he puts all of his valuables into a "ditch bag". So if something happens you can grab the bag and go....Wallet, keys, cell phone, etc....
We have adopted this idea and use a see through bag with a draw string....it's plastic.
We also have on board.....MEGA flashlight, GPS, Maps, First Aid Kit, Divers Knife (Scream had to dive down and cut our anchor rope once), Underwater Flash light, Flare Gun (we were stranded on the side of the road with our camper and I wanted to use this to keep the cars away,Scream stopped me by explaining that THIS flare just goes up in the sky, since this, we also carry road flares in our car.....)Whistle, Blanket, Ponchos, fuses, that's all I can think of now.....
:D

91nordic29
03-18-2006, 11:33 AM
paddles are always good! :cool:

Debbolas
03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
and...............NO DANCING on the DECK!!!
:D:D

2Driver
03-18-2006, 12:29 PM
learned a few things in this thread.
Not required but I always take a good diving mask in case I need retrieve something (keys wallet) from a reasonable depth or God forbid an individual. My first aid kit also includes items for a heavy wound like a gash or significant cut. Used it only once but glad it was there especially in a place like Powell

Boatcop
03-18-2006, 12:49 PM
First aid kit, paddle, bailing bucket, etc are all nice to have, but not required by Federal or State Law.
All the laws require are the SAFETY equipment. PFDs, Fire Extinguishers, Whistle or horn, if on Federal Waterways.
Visual Distress signals are reuired on COASTAL waters or the Great Lakes. Some publications state that they are required on all Federal Waterways. That is not the case. Only when operating off-shore, or in a coastal bay which has an opening to the sea greater than 1 mile in width, or on the Great Lakes.
Boat's over 26' must also have a pollution placard (sticker) stating the pollution laws that is visible from the helm and any other area where a bilge pumping control is located.
Essential, but not legally required equipment includes:
First Aid Kit
Paddle or Oar
Bailing Bucket and Sponge
Drinking water
Blankets
Spare boat plug(s)
Tool Kit
Spare parts (Plugs, dist car, etc)
Extra Oil
Pull cord (outboards)
Spare boat Key
Spare tow vehicle key
Basically before you go out, sit down and think of all the things that could go wrong on the water. Then make sure you have what you need to take car of those problems.

Tom Brown
03-18-2006, 12:55 PM
First Aid Kit
Thanks, Alan. Fortunately I've never needed one but that's an awesome idea. :cool:
Pull cord (outboards)
Hey..... I know when I've been mocked. :D

Debbolas
03-18-2006, 01:06 PM
and.................bring a towel in case your sig other decides to "kick the prop" and you need to wrap his bleeding foot in a towel. Butterfly bandages wouldn't have helped at this point..........................caution graphic photo below
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1566Lake_Mead_6-12_097-med.jpg