PDA

View Full Version : MJ19/miller19j...

burbanite
06-11-2003, 12:01 PM
I think I remember one of you saying you were somehow linked to winemaking? If so, have you heard of the Vine Cliff Winery in Napa?

Napanutt
06-11-2003, 12:14 PM
I live in Napa...but haven't heard of that one (there's so many,though),you know were it's at? :confused:

burbanite
06-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Napanutt,
it's near Yountsville I believe.
I know it is a stretch but being in the industry you never know.

Mandelon
06-11-2003, 12:24 PM
I've been linked to wine Drinking... Does that count??

HavasuDreamin'
06-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Switching from the good ol' reliable Heineken's? :confused: wink

miller19j
06-11-2003, 12:28 PM
My father has a small vineyard in the Santa Ynez Valley that is my link. I am not real familiar with the wines from Napa though.
But MJ19 worked in the wine industry for years and knows more of the wineries up there. She may be able to help you.
I am not a real big wine drinker I prefer Scotch.

Sleek-Jet
06-11-2003, 12:31 PM
miller19j:
I prefer Scotch. Famous Grouse ???
[ June 11, 2003, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

burbanite
06-11-2003, 12:57 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Switching from the good ol' reliable Heineken's? :confused: wink eek! Not freakin' likely!

miller19j
06-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Sleek-Jet:
miller19j:
I prefer Scotch. Famous Grouse ??? :D Actually I am pretty much a Scotch Snob I usually drink only Single Malts. Preferably from Isley but occasionally I will have a craving for a speyside malt.

Sleek-Jet
06-11-2003, 01:00 PM
miller19j:
Sleek-Jet:
miller19j:
I prefer Scotch. Famous Grouse ??? :D Actually I am pretty much a Scotch Snob I usually drink only Single Malts. Preferably from Isley but occasionally I will have a craving for a speyside malt. Yeah, I'm not much of a single malt fan. Famous Grouse is about the best blended scotch I've had.

burbanite
06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
miller19j:
My father has a small vineyard in the Santa Ynez Valley that is my link. I am not real familiar with the wines from Napa though.
But MJ19 worked in the wine industry for years and knows more of the wineries up there. She may be able to help you.
I am not a real big wine drinker I prefer Scotch. Thanks. The reason I asked is that I met Chuck and Nell Sweeney, (the owners), here last month and they invited me to visit.
From what I understand they produce a very good product and have several vineyards.

uvindex
06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
...have you heard of the Vine Cliff Winery in Napa?Pardon me for jumping in here. :) That winery has a web site, and here's the link: http://www.vinecliff.com/
Happy wine drinking!

MJ19
06-11-2003, 01:09 PM
burbanite:
I think I remember one of you saying you were somehow linked to winemaking? If so, have you heard of the Vine Cliff Winery in Napa? This Vine Cliff?
http://www.vinecliff.com/

HavasuDreamin'
06-11-2003, 01:09 PM
burbanite:
HavasuDreamin':
Switching from the good ol' reliable Heineken's? :confused: wink eek! Not freakin' likely! Just checking. wink :D

burbanite
06-11-2003, 01:15 PM
MJ19:
This Vine Cliff?
http://www.vinecliff.com/ That would be the one, I just wondered whether or not you had heard of them, they seemed like very cool people, I took an instant liking to them.

HavasuDreamin'
06-11-2003, 01:18 PM
burbanite
I took an instant liking to them. Trying to suck up to get free wine huh. :p
J/K

mtndewdrops
06-11-2003, 01:19 PM
MJ&MJ19
Come on down to Temecula for some Tastin...I am 1/2 mile to over a dozen winerys... :)
Just went to the Balloon and Wine Festival last weekend...good times. :D

MJ19
06-11-2003, 01:19 PM
burbanite:
The reason I asked is that I met Chuck and Nell Sweeney, (the owners), here last month and they invited me to visit.
From what I understand they produce a very good product and have several vineyards. Do they have a 'car room' as well at the winery?
I did have a private tour & tasting of a few different wineries up there years ago and old age has me drawing a blank on the names...but one of the wineries was BEAUTIFUL and VERY VERY VERY old...I noticed that Vine Cliff is 100 years old or so according to their web site.
If they have offered to give you the VIP treatment, take them up on it...I'm sure the wine is great and even bad free wine is better then no wine...right wink :D
SIDE NOTE: when I was in napa last I noticed at one of the markets they had a bottle of wine selling for $200, that same label was for sell at the restuarant we were eating at that night for $400 and then I found a half bottle of the same label in a different market for $99...came home to the good old Santa Ynez Valley and found the same label...full bottle (not half) for $36.
Opus was selling for $100 a bottle and I found it for $50...so if you like wine and have proper storage pick up the deals when you find them :D
Beware of Napa's over priced wines...sometimes you can find the exact same thing for much less elsewhere :D
And if someone is offering to give you VIP treatment of their winery take it...you might make it out of there with a nice bottle or two for free...and if you don't like it idea you can always give it to me for Christmas :D

burbanite
06-11-2003, 01:20 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Trying to suck up to get free wine huh. :p
J/K Hell, it's all good.... :)

miller19j
06-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Sleek-Jet:
miller19j:
Sleek-Jet:
miller19j:
I prefer Scotch. Famous Grouse ??? :D Actually I am pretty much a Scotch Snob I usually drink only Single Malts. Preferably from Isley but occasionally I will have a craving for a speyside malt. Yeah, I'm not much of a single malt fan. Famous Grouse is about the best blended scotch I've had. Famous Grouse is pretty much the best Blended Whiskey. It tastes a lot like some of the Speyside Malts.
Give some of the Speyside malts a try you might like them.

burbanite
06-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Hey,
another drinking thread........

HavasuDreamin'
06-11-2003, 01:22 PM
burbanite:
HavasuDreamin':
Trying to suck up to get free wine huh. :p
J/K Hell, it's all good.... :) I agree......do they make a Reisling? http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/party/juul.gif

MJ19
06-11-2003, 01:24 PM
burbanite:
That would be the one, I just wondered whether or not you had heard of them, they seemed like very cool people, I took an instant liking to them. Most winery folks have 'smoozing' down pat...they are selling their product 24/7 :D
Aside from that aspect...most OWNERS are VERY nice people...excentric to work for, but really cool people outside of being their 'employee' :D

MJ19
06-11-2003, 01:25 PM
mtndewdrops:
MJ&MJ19
Come on down to Temecula for some Tastin...I am 1/2 mile to over a dozen winerys... :)
Has Temecula recovered from that pierce problem? They were hit hard a few years ago from the glassy winged sharp shooter. :(
I'm all up for wine tasting as long as someone else is doing the driving :D

Sleek-Jet
06-11-2003, 01:27 PM
miller19j:
Sleek-Jet:
miller19j:
Sleek-Jet:
miller19j:
I prefer Scotch. Famous Grouse ??? :D Actually I am pretty much a Scotch Snob I usually drink only Single Malts. Preferably from Isley but occasionally I will have a craving for a speyside malt. Yeah, I'm not much of a single malt fan. Famous Grouse is about the best blended scotch I've had. Famous Grouse is pretty much the best Blended Whiskey. It tastes a lot like some of the Speyside Malts.
Give some of the Speyside malts a try you might like them. I'll try that.

burbanite
06-11-2003, 01:29 PM
HavasuDreamin':
I agree......do they make a Reisling? http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/party/juul.gif Don't know about that but I do know they make a lot of money......
The winery was more like a fun thing to them, they are independently wealthy and bought it because of their interest in wine. They spent a lot of money on it, turned it around and have a lot of fun with the place.

MJ19
06-11-2003, 01:38 PM
burbanite:
The winery was more like a fun thing to them, they are independently wealthy and bought it because of their interest in wine. They spent a lot of money on it, turned it around and have a lot of fun with the place. 99% of winery owners are in that same boat...wineries don't make that much money right off the bat & very few make as much $ as it takes to run one properly...you have to love the industry and have the money to start with.

miller19j
06-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Sleek-Jet:
I'll try that. Here are a few Single Malts that you may like,
Balvenie
Cragganmore
Glenfiddich
Macallan
I love Scotch and could Drink and talk about it for hours!

burbanite
06-11-2003, 01:43 PM
MJ19:
99% of winery owners are in that same boat...wineries don't make that much money right off the bat & very few make as much $ as it takes to run one properly...you have to love the industry and have the money to start with. That is the way it sounded when I was talking to them, nice to have a hobby isn't it.... wink

MJ19
06-11-2003, 01:59 PM
burbanite:
MJ19:
99% of winery owners are in that same boat...wineries don't make that much money right off the bat & very few make as much $ as it takes to run one properly...you have to love the industry and have the money to start with. That is the way it sounded when I was talking to them, nice to have a hobby isn't it.... wink It's a hobby I wouldn't mind having :D

miller19j
06-11-2003, 02:11 PM
MJ19:
burbanite:
MJ19:
99% of winery owners are in that same boat...wineries don't make that much money right off the bat & very few make as much $ as it takes to run one properly...you have to love the industry and have the money to start with. That is the way it sounded when I was talking to them, nice to have a hobby isn't it.... wink It's a hobby I wouldn't mind having :D Technically we are half owners in a vineyard. So go outside and work on your hobby. The vines need to be trimmed! :D

NashvilleBound
06-11-2003, 02:21 PM
miller19j
I am not a real big wine drinker I prefer Scotch. [/QB]Scotch??? I couldn't even get you to drink a beer last weekend! Oh, I see, its ME :rolleyes:

MJ19
06-11-2003, 02:23 PM
miller19j:
Technically we are half owners in a vineyard. So go outside and work on your hobby. The vines need to be trimmed! :D Yeah...well Mr. Miller...I'm going to the Vintner's Association meeting tonight so maybe you ought to pull some of the weight and work on the vines :D
Not to mention somehow you got out of netting last year...don't try a stunt like that again this year! devil :D

Sleek-Jet
06-11-2003, 02:30 PM
miller19j:
Sleek-Jet:
I'll try that. Here are a few Single Malts that you may like,
Balvenie
Cragganmore
Glenfiddich
Macallan
I love Scotch and could Drink and talk about it for hours! Glad I found another Scotch drinker. A friend of mine got me drinking it last year, now I'm hooked.
I'll stop by the liquor store tonight and pick a bottle up, give some of those a try.

miller19j
06-11-2003, 02:30 PM
NashvilleBound:
miller19j
I am not a real big wine drinker I prefer Scotch. Scotch??? I couldn't even get you to drink a beer last weekend! Oh, I see, its ME :rolleyes: [/QB]You didn’t offer me any Scotch! I didn’t want to drink all your beer you only had a few cases and you looked pretty thirsty! :D

MJ19
06-11-2003, 02:31 PM
miller19j
I am not a real big wine drinker I prefer Scotch. NashvilleBound:
Scotch??? I couldn't even get you to drink a beer last weekend! Oh, I see, its ME :rolleyes Neither one of us are big beer drinkers. If you had a nice Single Malt you would have had him drinking for certain...he gets a little silly when he takes "The Scotland Tour" :D

mtndewdrops
06-11-2003, 02:43 PM
MJ19:
mtndewdrops:
MJ&MJ19
Has Temecula recovered from that pierce problem? They were hit hard a few years ago from the glassy winged sharp shooter. :(
I'm all up for wine tasting as long as someone else is doing the driving :D Some vines have been replaced, I don't know the details but do see some of the results.
The best way to taste is by LIMO...then nobody misses out.

MJ19
06-11-2003, 03:13 PM
mtndewdrops:
The best way to taste is by LIMO...then nobody misses out. Is youre avatar paying? http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/451busi002.gif ...if so, I'm all over that :D
[ June 11, 2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: MJ19 ]

mtndewdrops
06-11-2003, 03:16 PM
MJ19:
mtndewdrops:
The best way to taste is by LIMO...then nobody misses out. Is youre avatar paying? http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/451busi002.gif ...if so, I'm all over that :D Catch me when I am at OP6 and we can negotiate....

Ziggy
06-11-2003, 03:16 PM
MJ19:
mtndewdrops:
The best way to taste is by LIMO...then nobody misses out. Is youre avatar paying? http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/451busi002.gif ...if so, I'm all over that :D Hey, I'll take that ride too buddy :D :D