PDA

View Full Version : Coast guard requirements on board your boats.

Biglue
03-17-2006, 10:10 AM
We all have them on our boats, we all should at least.
The one question I have always wondered is where do you guys store all your throw cusions, spare life vests? I keep the ones we use in the storage locker under the open bow section. The throw cusions are behind the mid cabin seats (very easy to get to actually). I also keep a first aid kit in the same areas as the throw cusions. Also in my mid cabin is the fire extinguisher, air horns a flares. When I have other people on board, the spare life vests are in the engine compartment. Would any of you know if a LEO or Coast Guard may have an issue on the storage practices?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-17-2006, 10:14 AM
I keep all of the PFD's under the rear seat cushion. Fortunately our rear seat is three cushions as opposed to one long cushion so only the one cushion needs to be accessible. I've got a fire extinguisher mounted at the driversÂ’ helm in addition to the automatic halon system in engine compartment. First aid kit is in the cuddy under the seat cushion on the starboard side. Throw cushion is in the cuddy on the seats for easy access.

NOTALENT
03-17-2006, 10:15 AM
a little late buddy...but thats ok.... :crossx:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-17-2006, 11:06 AM
This is interesting, made me think.....I think we keep all of our floatation stuff deep under the closed bow. Not very accessable in an emergency.... :idea: Might have to re-think.....

Biglue
03-17-2006, 11:22 AM
This is interesting, made me think.....I think we keep all of our floatation stuff deep under the closed bow. Not very accessable in an emergency.... :idea: Might have to re-think.....
That's my point. Would accessability be an issue if I were to get inspected by any authorities. Keeping a neat and tidy boat seems like a little bit of a trade off doesn't it?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-17-2006, 11:42 AM
That's my point. Would accessability be an issue if I were to get inspected by any authorities. Keeping a neat and tidy boat seems like a little bit of a trade off doesn't it?
Boatcop would have the realw orld answer, but yes, I believe you would at the very least get a stern warning if everything is buried and difficult to get to in the event of an emergency.

Ziggy
03-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Think about it Lue :idea: Even though its recommended to wear vests not many do so accessibility should be easy. But with many boaters they are either put away under the engine hatch or tossed up deep under the bow so they don't blow away.......and for asthetics so they don't de-bling the boats.
Kinda a catch 22 the way I see it.........we all make those choices every trip out.

Mrs. casean
03-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Think about it Lue :idea: Even though its recommended to wear vests not many do so accessibility should be easy. But with many boaters they are either put away under the engine hatch or tossed up deep under the bow so they don't blow away.......and for asthetics so they don't de-bling the boats.
Kinda a catch 22 the way I see it.........we all make those choices every trip out.
The "spare" life jackets are under the hatch for us... ours are under a seat... it would be difficult to get them from under the hatch easily in some events I'm sure Good point Ziggy! :idea:

JB in so cal
03-17-2006, 01:22 PM
The "spare" life jackets are under the hatch for us... ours are under a seat... it would be difficult to get them from under the hatch easily in some events I'm sure Good point Ziggy! :idea:
Ziggy races without a helmet. What does he know :cool:?

Mrs. casean
03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
:p Maybe nothing then :rolleyes: :rollside:

Ziggy
03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
I rented my lid skid, next time I'll know better..........although it won't be blinged with dollar bills like that other person we know :p
What I do know is that I was WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of you :yuk: :D :D
Don't mind JB Linds, he kinda has a thing for, ya know, other guys :D :D :D

JB in so cal
03-17-2006, 02:05 PM
I rented my lid skid, next time I'll know better..........although it won't be blinged with dollar bills like that other person we know :p
What I do know is that I was WAAAAAAAAAAY ahead of you :yuk: :D :D
Don't mind JB Linds, he kinda has a thing for, ya know, other guys :D :D :D
You just gotta gay it up, don't 'ya? Rainbow Warrior!!

Ziggy
03-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Touche' :) :p :) You started it:rollside:

HYPNAUTIC
03-17-2006, 02:20 PM
We keep a six pack of orange PFD's under the hatch, 2 more under the bow seats along with ours, fire extinguisher mounted inside the tow kick area, type 4 sandwiched between the drivers seat and sidewall, whislte hanging on the run switch.
Never thought about the ease of access if needed in an emergency. We can get to the cooler with no problem though!

superdave013
03-17-2006, 02:33 PM
when my boat sank in Havasu I swear the only reason it didn't go all the way down was due to the life jackets under the dash. :cool:
All I'm sayin is it's not like the Titanic. It happens pretty fast. If you don't have a jacket on you better be a good swimmer. Or in our case I was holding onto the boat and the other 3 were holding onto the cooler. lol

Biglue
03-17-2006, 02:38 PM
when my boat sank in Havasu I swear the only reason it didn't go all the way down was due to the life jackets under the dash. :cool:
All I'm sayin is it's not like the Titanic. It happens pretty fast. If you don't have a jacket on you better be a good swimmer. Or in our case I was holding onto the boat and the other 3 were holding onto the cooler. lol
Did you guys save the cooler? :D J/K
What kind of boat did you sink? Sorry to hear man.

Boatcop
03-17-2006, 09:38 PM
USCG Equipment Regulations:
Wearable Type I, II, or III PFD, for each person on board. Must be of suitable size for the intended wearer, and be readily accessible*. Children age 12 and under must wear theirs. (All size watercraft)
*Readily accessible means where they can be obtained without too much delay. No real meaure of time to get them, but if you have to move the skis, dog, cooler, towels, etc. to get them, they aren't "readily accessible". The Coast Guard considers PFDs that are still in the plastic wrap to be NOT readily accesible.
All Passengers on Personal Watercraft (Jet Skis) must wear an approved PFD,
Type IV throwable, required on boats 16 feet and over. (one only for the boat) must be immediately available. Meaning that someone in the boat must be able to reach, grab and throw it, if needed. In other words, in the open and within reach. Anyplace else is not in compliance.
Fire Extinguishers must be readily accessible, as described above. Common sense says that they shouldn't be stored somewhere where there's likely to be fire, such as the engine compartment, fuel spaces, or bilge area. How many depends on the length of the boat:
Less than 26' - 1 Size B1, USCG approved Fire Extinguisher
26' - less than '40' - 1 size B2 or 2 size B-1s
40' - less than 65' - 3 B1s or 1 b2 plus 1 B1.
A fixed system takes the place of 1 B1 portable extinguisher, no matter the size of the system. Some states (AZ) require a portable Extinguiser be carried even if the boat less than 26' has a fixed system.
All states have similar requlations as the above.

ECeptor
03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
So, jackets stored in the cuddy on top the bed and/or seats...ticket or no ticket?

BADASS38CHEVY
03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
BoatCop, a friend got a ticket one time for not having a life jacket for a cop that ask to come on his boat when he got pulled over for a violation.He did not have a extra one for him and was cited for it.

H20 Toie
03-18-2006, 01:48 AM
i think ther is something abouj tnot drinking an d drivein yoiu r boaqt but wh 0 listens

chub
03-18-2006, 06:48 AM
We just lined them all up along the sides. The throw and FE are next to me. I've been in a boat wreck. GREAT THREAD SAFETY FIRST EVERYBODY :D :D :D :D :D !!!

shueman
03-18-2006, 07:07 AM
BoatCop, a friend got a ticket one time for not having a life jacket for a cop that ask to come on his boat when he got pulled over for a violation.He did not have a extra one for him and was cited for it.
That's BS....the LE should have come aboard wearing his own PFD....

shueman
03-18-2006, 07:10 AM
At the start of every season, there are free "safety inspection" check points available.....take a run through and get "certified"....better than a fine on the water.... :cool:

Boatcop
03-18-2006, 12:36 PM
River (urban) legend.
That would never happen, since all Marine Patrol Officers wear a PFD while on the boats. More than likely, your "friend" was trying to make himself not at fault when he was given a ticket for lack of PFDs.
So, jackets stored in the cuddy on top the bed and/or seats...ticket or no ticket?
It depnds on how quickly they can be retrieved, and whether things have to be moved to get to them.
A boat can sink in less than 15 seconds. How quickly can you get your PFDs out and to each of your passengers?

2Driver
03-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Reads better with "Beer" inserted where you have "life jacket". :rollside: :)

phebus
03-18-2006, 01:20 PM
The Coast Guard considers PFDs that are still in the plastic wrap to be NOT readily accesible.
I'm going to have to check the one's I have. I have a couple of those nylon bags that contain six vests each. I have never had them open, and wonder if the vests are in plastic.
I do have seperate vests also under a seat that are open and accessible, so theese are just for times I have a lot of people on the boat.