PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing from Over Seas???

HammerDown
09-30-2003, 07:07 AM
I'm looking to buy some Carb Parts from a Retailer in the UK. Should I have any reservations about E-Mailing my Credit Card#??? never did that before.
They also accept PayPal...I've never used it...how safe is it?
Thanks for suggestions.

spectratoad
09-30-2003, 07:13 AM
I have never had any problems using my CC overseas when I was there but in this situation I think I would use Pay-Pal. They could be a sort of middle man and your CC number may never get to the other business. I am guessing you may have a little more protection by using the Pay-Pal. I have used it and it seems pretty legit.

drbones
09-30-2003, 07:47 AM
I would have to agree on paypal..
you pay paypal..then paypal pays them....
so the over sea's company should never even see your CC info...

HammerDown
09-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
PS. looks like the parts needed will be coming from Italy.
[ September 30, 2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

THE VIKING
09-30-2003, 09:53 AM
Well, Mr. Hammerdown, I don't know what you need, but if it's available here in DK i would be more then happy to assist you with your purchase in the good old ***boat spirit.
The viking.

HammerDown
09-30-2003, 10:06 AM
THE VIKING:
Well, Mr. Hammerdown, I don't know what you need, but if it's available here in DK i would be more then happy to assist you with your purchase in the good old ***boat spirit.
The viking. What I'm after is two 28mm Ventures and (maybe two 33mm) for a Dellorto (DHLA 40) Side Draft Carb.
I've located 2 in the UK and just received an E-Mail from a fella in Italy that has them new and used...for a very fair price.
And you Sir?

Ziggy
09-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Hammer,
Caveat....Be careful of any method for payment. Friend lost $2500 on a deal to buy a flatscreen TV..he used Western Union to overseas. Funds were not to be released until confirmation of product delivery...didn't happen...no product and no money either....think it was from Italy.

HammerDown
09-30-2003, 06:14 PM
OK so I'm regesterd on Pay-Pal...so I'm guessing I use there E-Mail address as the place to send payment? Is this how it works?
Big sale here, total amount $20.00 (hard parts to find)!

wsuwrhr
09-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Ziggy,
While they are not in your area, Car Craft in Riverside Ca. should have the sidedraft parts you need. Dellorto is out of business, but I would think they can get them if they don't have them. They are very good friends of mine and will treat you right. They are in the states, I would think the deal would be sweeter then accross the pond. No offence to the out-of-countrymen. I will be there next week, if you like, I will call and see what they have, get them for you and send them your way.
Talk to Shane or Ed, Car Craft 909-781-4480
Brian
PM me for any details,
or call at 909-982-4068
[ September 30, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

wsuwrhr
09-30-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty sad about it, I got burned from a guy in Australia on a nitrous bracket I make. I sent him a polished bracket, quick pins, all the add-ons, 250.00 with shipping. I sent it US mail with no tracking, like an idiot, you know where this is going, he said he never got it, and I have no proof. I had to send him another on FOC, this time UPS with tracking number.
Never again,
Brian
By the way, I make some cool billet aircleaner assemblies for your sidedrafts if you are interested. Check out the website.

wsuwrhr
09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
PayPal is the way to go. It is easy to set up an account.
PayPal website (http://www.paypal.com)

Dr. Eagle
09-30-2003, 08:01 PM
I have used paypal to buy stuff on ebay for a couple of years now. It is the way to go for sure.

HammerDown
10-01-2003, 04:43 AM
WSUWRHR, check your PM's....and thanks for the offer to help.

superdave013
10-01-2003, 05:10 AM
On thing for Pay Pal users.
First off, I love Pay Pal and it's a great way to get paid on items but........
Keep it a personal account. If not you will be charged 2.2% + 0.30 on every transaction. The downfall of a personal account is you can not accept a credit card payment. I'm pretty sure you can still pay with one though.
I kow this does not really apply to Hammer's deal but I thought I'ed toss it out there.

HammerDown
10-02-2003, 06:05 AM
Pay-Pay seemed to work out very nicely...The seller comfirmed payment. Now all I have to do is be patient and items should be here from Italy in about 2 weeks time.
Thanks for all the suggestions.