PDA

View Full Version : Who was it that put down epoxy garage floors??

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Someone on here applies those nice epoxy floors in garages?? Got a customer who wants a quote.
Can you give me a sq ft price for prep and application....
e-mail to richardb@spectrumrenovations.com
Thanks!

riverracerx
08-22-2003, 12:56 PM
where are you located at? I just had mine done and it is super killer! Retail on it is $899.00 for a 3 car garage, with the flecks. (granite look). My guy uses industrial materials, not Home Depot stuff and it take 3 days to apply.
He does Santa Clarita and San Fernando Valley.
I will get his number at home if you need it.

riverracerx
08-22-2003, 12:57 PM
shoot...didn't read the San Diego at the bottom..sorry! :rolleyes:

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Doh! It is in Del Mar, 3 car garage, approx 600 Sq Ft.

HM
08-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Mandelon:
Doh! It is in Del Mar, 3 car garage, approx 600 Sq Ft. Check with White Cap. They have some very good epoxy products.
The true key to the epoxy floors is preperation. Follow as close to the letter as possible on prep. You may want to have a vapor perm test done, but that is not as critical in San Diego (water vaper can cause serious blistering). Also, if you customer has a south facing garage and keeps the garage door open, you may want to look into UV stabalized aliphatic epoxy systems (more $$$$) as epoxies will yellow and chalk with sunlight over time. If the garage is not south facing, then no worries - but it will still yellow and chalk very slowly.
FYI - the epoxies cure rather slowly and you will not be able to walk on most any sooner than 8 hours. Also, if the instructions tell you to mix and let stand (or cook) for some period of time, this is very important to help get a proper cure. Epoxy does not dry - it chemically reacts into a solid. It needs to be able to generate enough heat in the bucket to be able to continue to react a reasonable speed when spread into a film. Although they refer to a part B as a catalyst, this is not technically correct...part B is actually another resin that is reactive with the part A resin. This basic understanding will help you realize that the ratio's of the two are much more critical than say a polyester resin in which an actual catalyst is used - the catalyst speeds the reation that is already going on. Some epoxies are less critical than others, but flooring epoxy systems need to be as precise as possible.
Was that too much info? 'Cause I have a few more pages if needed!
I am a chemical salesman by day, and I sell the epoxy raw materials to the guys who put it into a system and then sell it to white cap. If you have any questions, give me a call at 714-742-4872.

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks HM. I really just want to sub it out, but if not then our guys will do it.
Do you distribute to Kirwan? We usually buy our epoxies and coating from them. But we do have a White Cap account too.
I may be bugging ya! :D Thanks for the help.

oneultrarat
08-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey Kirwin should be able to hook you up with Life Deck products. It is a very good system and they shoud no some guys in San Diego.
What kind of business do you run?
I am in the waterproofing trade in L.A. and O.C.

oneultrarat
08-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Hey Kirwin should be able to hook you up with Life Deck products. It is a very good system and they shoud no some guys in San Diego.
What kind of business do you run?
I am in the waterproofing trade in L.A. and O.C.

HM
08-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Mandelon:
Thanks HM. I really just want to sub it out, but if not then our guys will do it.
Do you distribute to Kirwan? We usually buy our epoxies and coating from them. But we do have a White Cap account too.
I may be bugging ya! :D Thanks for the help. You are not bugging me! There is a LOT of bad info out there on epoxies, so if you want to run something by me, let me know - no problem.
I don't distribute systems - I sell the BisA/F resin along with the Amines/polyamides/other curatives and reactive dilluents to the epoxy coating mfg. I also have many of the other additives that are used. My stuff is the basic chemical ingredients.
I don't know whose coatings Kirwan carries, but I am sure they have a comparable, if not the same, systems. Even if they have their name on the can, they probably don't make it. Just make sure you talk to someone who knows epoxies.
Subing this stuff out is the best if you are not well trained on epoxies. Hell, I sell the shit and I had an epoxy guy put my floor down in my old house. He was stoked after I gave him a lesson on epoxy chemistry to help him understand the chemicals he was using.
I am not sure if I am going epoxy or other on my current garage.

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 01:51 PM
Renovations, remodels. Residential, Retail, Medical offices..also Toxic Mold Remediation.
This job is from a customer of one of my job supervisors that he knew from years ago. They just bought the house and are renovating the whole place.
The garage slab now has glued down astroturf so we will need to beadblast too. :(
I am still putting a quote together so I just need a $$$$ to fill in the blanks. :cool:

ROZ
08-22-2003, 01:57 PM
Contact Woodster :cool:

HM
08-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Mandelon:
I am still putting a quote together so I just need a $$$$ to fill in the blanks. :cool: I have no idea on labor, but you get 320 sqauare feet per gallon for a 5 mil coating for most epoxies. If you go 10 mils, then 160 square feet. The correct flooring epoxies retail at a minimum of $75/gallon.
Most light duty floors use 7-10 mils. So you are looking at 4 gallons ~ $300 minimum epoxy cost. If they want non-slip, then add another 2 1/2 gallons for top coat over aggregate which will give less coverage, so a minimum of $500 epoxy cost.
Throw in the labor for a couple days, and other costs like aggregate, muriatic acid, TSP, floor grinder rental (if you don't own a floor grinder), listening to the customer tell you how he does not like how the corner came out and $900 is sounding in the ball park - if nothing goes wrong. wink

burbanite
08-22-2003, 02:55 PM
ROZ:
Contact Woodster :cool: Yep,
woodster is the guy. Great looking floor and only around 4.00/sq.ft. He'd be doing mine if I could afford the cost of getting him out here. :)
He is in S.D., give him a shout.
Edit: There is a difference between "flecked" and the proper Granite look.
[ August 22, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: burbanite ]

NastyOne
08-22-2003, 03:00 PM
burbanite:
ROZ:
Contact Woodster :cool: Yep,
woodster is the guy. Great looking floor and only around 4.00/sq.ft. He'd be doing mine if I could afford the cost of getting him out here. :)
He is in S.D., give him a shout. $4 a squre foot!!!!! Does that include bead blasting? I hope so because I am a painting contractor and we sometimes do big warehouse floors. But not for that much. :D

NastyOne
08-22-2003, 03:04 PM
HolyMoly:
Mandelon:
I am still putting a quote together so I just need a $$$$ to fill in the blanks. :cool: I have no idea on labor, but you get 320 sqauare feet per gallon for a 5 mil coating for most epoxies. If you go 10 mils, then 160 square feet. The correct flooring epoxies retail at a minimum of $75/gallon.
Most light duty floors use 7-10 mils. So you are looking at 4 gallons ~ $300 minimum epoxy cost. If they want non-slip, then add another 2 1/2 gallons for top coat over aggregate which will give less coverage, so a minimum of $500 epoxy cost.
Throw in the labor for a couple days, and other costs like aggregate, muriatic acid, TSP, floor grinder rental (if you don't own a floor grinder), listening to the customer tell you how he does not like how the corner came out and $900 is sounding in the ball park - if nothing goes wrong. wink Nice proposal. LOL
You can also just broadcast aggregate into the top coat while its wet. Poke holes in the bottom of a coffee can and use that to do the job. Just my 2 cents

Phat_Kat
08-22-2003, 03:10 PM
My buddy got some of this stuff that caused all liquids to just flow right off. It didn't stain and took no more than a half-ass power wash to make it literally worth eating off of. Is this the same stuff? If so I'm seriously interested in some for my garage. If not can someone tell me what I'm looking for. I've tried to cally my buddy who has this stuff installed but I can't find him.
Thanks
[ August 22, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Thanks!! :D

HM
08-22-2003, 03:33 PM
$4 square foot is about right for most industrial flooring - is what Stonehard Contractors charge, but no one (most) would pay $2,400 for a garage floor! (Industrial floors have a significant liability cost to them and often need very specific performance requirements that can drive up the raw material cost significantly).
Crossfield Products has some of the best choices for what ever look and performance you need (IMHO).
There you go Mandelon - bid somewhere between $900 and $2,400 - you should be safe!

burbanite
08-22-2003, 03:34 PM
NastyOne:
we sometimes do big warehouse floors. But not for that much. :D Like this?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/889DSC00347-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/503/889DSC00348-med.JPG

HM
08-22-2003, 03:37 PM
burbanite:
NastyOne:
That is not epoxy - that is MCT sheet or similar - typically made by Armstrong. But, this stuff makes very nice flooring as well, and the prep is not as critical.

HM
08-22-2003, 03:40 PM
BTW Mandelon - I hope you are aware that Mandelon means "pussy whipped" in spanish!! I think the actual translation is : a man in a skirt or something like that, but the meaning is that the woman runs the relationship.

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I know :rolleyes: Pussy whipped is the easiest translation.
I was at a party at one of my laborer's house in TJ, and I had to leave early cuz wife had plans...so they all gave me grief about it. Now I am Mandelon.. wink
Food was good too, I was sad to leave. Roasted pig, cooked in a huge copper pan...the best carnitas I ever had!!

Phat_Kat
08-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Mandelon:
I was at a party at one of my laborer's house in TJ, and I had to leave early cuz wife had plans...so they all gave me grief about it. Now I am Mandelon.. wink
Food was good too, I was sad to leave. Roasted pig, cooked in a huge copper pan...the best carnitas I ever had!! While we're on the topic of pussy whipped I remember in 9th grade I had a health teacher and we'd call him PW for Pussy Whipped. The reason? Well, he was talking about how he's a little less "manly" and "macho" around his wife and he said "you're a little more inclined to say 'yes dear?'" Well a girl in the front row ask him "you're actually like that around your wife?" he responds yes and she says "man you're pussy whipped!" Well now he's got it following him forever.

HM
08-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Mandelon:
Food was good too, I was sad to leave. Roasted pig, cooked in a huge copper pan...the best carnitas I ever had!! Well, my old boss had the nickname of Super Mandelon! LOL

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Well, if it were really true, I wouldn't have used for my screen name...I think it is funny.
I take care of my little wifey, and she takes care of me! :D :D

mickeyfinn
08-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Without a doubt Stonehard makes the best industrial epoxy floors. We use them in all of our facilities. Tnemec has a similar product but all of them require extreme care in application. Stonehard to the best of my knowledge does not sell to just anyone. Only to their trained installers. That is the best way to go. The same company supplying the product and the installation. No arguments when the finished product is f*cked up. You may be tempted to go with a skid resistant floor, try to resist that temptation. One of the advantages to these floors is that they are extremely chemical resistant and if you spend that kind of money to get a resistant floor don't screw it up by making it difficult to clean. Mopping or cleaning up oil spills is a real bitch on the skid resistant floors.

woodster
08-22-2003, 05:17 PM
HolyMoly:
burbanite:
NastyOne:
That is not epoxy - that is MCT sheet or similar - typically made by Armstrong. But, this stuff makes very nice flooring as well, and the prep is not as critical. Actually it is epoxy... And we use Crossfield products.IMHO they are the very best out there.They also do not sell to just anybody.U have to trained by them. Mandelon I got your pm and i will be calling you..Im actually out of here for the weekend but ill call you monday. You should figure roughly 4 bucks a foot..That includes all prep work(beadblast). It is a pretty expensive material but the stuff is bullet proof. It takes 4-5 days to complete. Ill call ya on monday :cool:
[ August 22, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: woodster ]

Mandelon
08-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Cool. :) This is a pretty expensive house so I hope he will go for all this work.

HM
08-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Yes - Stonehard and Crossfield only sell to their officially trained contractors. Tnemec is a great product as well. Some small local guys make some cool stuff as well...UPI and Pacific Polymers - and anyone (almost) can buy from them.
Damn, that flecked epoxy floor fooled me! Well, If I had been standing on it, that would have been different. wink That is Crossfield's isn't it? My brother loves that fleck epoxy for Clean
Room floors.
Oh yah - the big downside of non-skid....it sucks on the clean up. yuk