PDA

View Full Version : Solar powered Batter Charger

bear down
05-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Any thoughts on this item. I saw one at Pep Boys for $69.99 that is made for Large RV's and Boats. Since there is so much sun at Havasu I figure one these bad boys should help keep my battery some what charged when I run my system. I will probably use it on the 2nd battery which is the one that is used when I am beached and have the radio on. Thanks for any and all information.

JetBoatRich
05-20-2003, 06:59 AM
Good question, I wanted to pick one for the same reason. Which one did you look at?

Hermosa
05-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Harbor Freight has one that is much cheaper, and it works for me. Get the largest one of the two they offer.

bear down
05-20-2003, 07:46 AM
JetBoatRich:
Good question, I wanted to pick one for the same reason. Which one did you look at? Did not take a look and the specification of the charger. There were two available one for small batteries (i.e. motorcycles,atv's,jet ski's) and the other was for larger vehicles (i.e. RV's, Boats, Cars.) I believe the smaller one is a 2 watt and the larger is a 5 watt charger. I just wonder how effective they are while using the battery at the same time.

hoolign
05-20-2003, 07:56 AM
I asked this very same question last year.I figured I'd hook it up while the stereo was playin..sounded good to me,It got shot down for some reason,it's way to far back to go dig up,but I never did buy one.

bear down
05-20-2003, 08:04 AM
hoolign:
I asked this very same question last year.I figured I'd hook it up while the stereo was playin..sounded good to me,It got shot down for some reason,it's way to far back to go dig up,but I never did buy one. Let's keep this thread going until our question is answered. Let's not let it die!.

NorCal Gameshow
05-20-2003, 08:09 AM
if it's a 5 watt system it won't be very effective while you are using it... 5 watts won't do much. i.e. 40 watt light bulb uses 40 watts :D

al cole'holic
05-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Bitchen dealio for flat bed trailers with battery powered winches, other than that its a hoax..

mickeyfinn
05-20-2003, 01:29 PM
It will make your battery last a little longer. They are great if you use 12 volt lights in an RV or something like that. Let batteries charge during the day while you are at the lake and have plenty of juice at nite so you can see to get to your beer.

Sangster
05-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Some of the Dragboats that run magento's use them as a trickle charger for there battery so they don't have to use an altenator to charge there battery..They disconnect them before starting the motors...

Havasu Hangin'
05-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Watts = amps x volts
A 12 volt 5 watt charger will probably replenish at around 1/2 amp...my stereo uses a little more than 1/2 amp current draw.
A trickle charge at best.

Danhercules
05-20-2003, 04:09 PM
Be carefull with solar chargers. The ones you are talking about are great for leaving on you boat while stored. If you do that, you will never have to charge you battery, not even all winter. I have a 5th wheel, and solor is the way to go, but very expensive. You will have to spend a lot more to get somthin even close to do what you want to do. Lots of people get fooled. Your best bet is one of the little honda generators. They have that one that is so quite, and goes through so little gas. Much better. :D Good luck

GlastronGuy
05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Havasu Hangin':
Watts = amps x volts
A 12 volt 5 watt charger will probably replenish at around 1/2 amp...my stereo uses a little more than 1/2 amp current draw.
A trickle charge at best. Ohms law rears it's ugly head. :)
I have wondered about this too. I only have room for one battery so if it dies, I am dead in the water. But my favorite past time is to throw out the anchor, fire up Stevie Ray Vaughn on the CD player and kick back or float around in the water. I would really hate to go to start after such an event and only hear click!
I am thinking about getting one of those portable battery jumpers that are self enclosed. Just charge them up before use and stow it away. Anyone have experience with them?
http://meganscrafts.com/safety_batterycharger2.jpg

HBLavey
05-20-2003, 04:52 PM
My girlfriends VW Jetta came with one of these things and you actually plug it into the cigarrette lighter. If you were stranded in the desert with a dead battery you probably starve to death before the battery had enough juice.

mickeyfinn
05-20-2003, 06:15 PM
I have used one for years. Works great. Just keep it plugged in the garage and throw it in the boat before you leave. If your battery goes dead just hook it up and go. Just remember to keep in plugged in when you are not at the lake. Just like any other battery it will lose its charge.

LUVNLIFE
05-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Mickeyfinn I think that's the way to go.

JetBoatRich
05-20-2003, 06:55 PM
I think that is what i need, they seem to have it all Air Compressor, light and jumps start your motor

Havasu Hangin'
05-20-2003, 06:56 PM
GlastronGuy:
Anyone have experience with them?Costco has one like that for around $79. It also has a 100+ PSI air pump on it- great for rafts, tubes, flat tires, etc.

Mandelon
05-20-2003, 06:59 PM
I have one too and it works well. I have jump started some others at the launch ramp. Although one big boat it wouldn't start. I bet he had multiple batteries and it didn't have enough juice to affect them. Maybe if he switched to just one battery and not "all" it might have worked... :confused:
Otherwise they work well. Mine is now a few years old and seems to be losing its ability to hold a long term charge. It will run a 12v tv for about 2.5 hours too.
Froggy has installed a cutoff switch on someones (Tobtek?) boat, it would shut off stereo when volts got too low to start engine....