PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to ***boat...

HighRoller
08-18-2003, 08:31 PM
As one of the mag's most vocal critics in the past I now have to give them their due.Last year at this time the mag was about the thickness of a pamphlet from the Jehovah's Witnesses.In these pages you would find a ten page drool session about a boat none of us could afford followed by a half page about an event we all attended and the rest was ads.The latest mag almost gave me a hernia when I pulled it out of the mailbox!They have tested 18 real world boats in the last 2 months,everything from a small jet to big cats.In other words,"real"boats.So with a mouth full of crow I say GOOD JOB.It's pretty rare that an orginization responds to vocal criticism by raising the quality of their work.

Irishluck
08-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I picked up the new ***boat and was stooked when I read it. Boats that are at my level in other words real world boats. Kudos to ***boat

BajaMike
08-18-2003, 09:32 PM
I agree....I got the September issue today in my mailbox and have been reading it on and off all night...great issue! Lots of good stuff.
devil
Mike

FRANK THE TANK
08-18-2003, 09:32 PM
This month's evals are pretty good. Very Hot Boat in nature, only one or two bad comments per boat, but still very good. I'm always entertained and that's the name of the game. Keep us coming back for more!!!

woodster
08-18-2003, 09:52 PM
That 22stealth in there is my neighbors boat.Nice that ***boat finally gives evaluations on "affordable"boats

Catmando
08-18-2003, 10:21 PM
They kept crowing about the Hallett 260AC's "revolutionary bottom", then did not post ONE pic of it in the test article. :confused:

HighRoller
08-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Woodster,I'm crackin up at your signature.ExciteBike was the shyt!!I thought about going and buying an old Nintendo so I could play it.Do they make a new version of it for the N64 or new system?

burbanite
08-19-2003, 03:49 AM
Definitely a more "well rounded " read these days and I love the Performance Section.
Always a mention of these boards somewhere in the editorial, add some racing and the odd social event and it all looks pretty good...but what's up with you guys out West getting your mags at the same time as me these days?...and I thought I was special... :D

spectratoad
08-19-2003, 04:22 AM
Yes lately they have done a much finer job with reality :D

572Daytona
08-19-2003, 04:36 AM
Highroller, I saw my kids playing Excite Bike the other day on our gamecube and asked them how they got that. It is one of the mini games that is in Nintendo's Animal Crossing game.

Dribble
08-19-2003, 06:43 AM
And, they pointed out some real problems found in a boat from one of their major advertisers (Laser). How refreshing. They tested a boat from a company that doesn't advertise (Eclipse). If they keep this up they may go from sales brochure for their advertisers to marine journalists.

AquaBoogie
08-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Dribble:
And, they pointed out some real problems found in a boat from one of their major advertisers (Laser). How refreshing. They tested a boat from a company that doesn't advertise (Eclipse). If they keep this up they may go from sales brochure for their advertisers to marine journalists. Dribble, I haven't received my September issue as of yet. What problems did they point out with the Laser boats?

Dribble
08-19-2003, 08:33 AM
There were some problems with the interior fit and finish. The ski locker was wet and had loose rigging scraps floating in it. The courtesy lights didn't work and the wiring was sloppy. I personally think that the 22 is a great looking boat and this wouldn't stop me from buying one because I believe that Laser will take notice of the comments and make the needed corrections. They devoted a whole paragraph to these issues. To me that makes their opinions (good or bad) that much more credible.

h2oski2fast
08-19-2003, 09:43 AM
spectratoad:
Yes lately they have done a much finer job with reality :D I live in reality, I don't want to dream in reality! I like Hot Boat, but would rather look at and read about the boats featured PRA mag. A 40' 160mph Skater maybe out of reach for the moment, but it gives me something to stive for. Also, there are very few, if any, technological advances made during the $3,000 restoration of an old Flattie or Jet boat.
Just my thoughts
[ August 19, 2003, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: h2oski2fast ]

h2oski2fast
08-19-2003, 09:46 AM
I think that everyone is forgetting that most manufactures send the "cream of the crop" boats to these tests, not the average everyday boat they produce.

MagicMtnDan
08-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Just got my issue and it's a good read. Some initial comments:
* Like the Howard 25 Bullet review - looks like Gene Willen (and his wife?) driving the red, white and blue ("stock") 25 Bullet. And seeing GT's 25 Bullet in there (and the quad-rotor) is fun.
* Like the walk-through reviews - nice to see boats that folks can actually afford (but it's fun to read about the high-dollar boats once an issue too). That "rollbar" on the one boat is a bit over the top.
* Saw the Essex ad (I think on page 29) and temporarily got excited thinking they must've come out with a larger mid-cabin boat. Come to find out it's their 29 Allandra with an open bow...
Didn't see any letters from RD - now that should be on his to-do list (get published in Hot Boat)!

AquaBoogie
08-19-2003, 02:00 PM
Dribble:
There were some problems with the interior fit and finish. The ski locker was wet and had loose rigging scraps floating in it. The courtesy lights didn't work and the wiring was sloppy. I personally think that the 22 is a great looking boat and this wouldn't stop me from buying one because I believe that Laser will take notice of the comments and make the needed corrections. They devoted a whole paragraph to these issues. To me that makes their opinions (good or bad) that much more credible. Thanks Dribble,
I have the 22' and wanted to see what I have to look forward to. However, I haven't noticed any of the problems listed with my floaty.

h2oski2fast
08-19-2003, 02:04 PM
ULTRA28:
h2oski2fast:
I think that everyone is forgetting that most manufactures send the "cream of the crop" boats to these tests, not the average everyday boat they produce. Not all of us do that. I know that most of the time I just call a customer that has recently taken delivery of their boat to see if I can use it for the evaluations. I know that Dave does the same thing. You might want to read my post again before chiming in. I said " most ", I didn't say all. Seem someone might have a guilty conscience though.

BajaMike
08-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Do they ever put pictures from OP6C in the magazine?

JetBoatRich
08-19-2003, 02:40 PM
BajaMike:
Do they ever put pictures from OP6C in the magazine? Seems like it takes about 6 months after an event to get the pictures in :confused: must be all the editing eek!

bordsmnj
08-19-2003, 03:04 PM
got mine in the mail yesterday and was counting on a good sit down with it tonight. i feel like i just read the damned thing though burningm
just kiddin' :D

jerry billet
08-19-2003, 03:42 PM
I have always enjoyed the mag. If nothing else for drooling and dreaming. Sometimes You get through it in an easy night, and other times I will reread or copy articles. Have been featured once. Would prefer to have one of those models in the boat than in the shop at GS marine.
Even though the event coverage may be late, there is still time to schedule for the next year if it sound interesting. I want to come out for the BBSP but the dates changed and I could no change my schedule.
Good reading.

MagicMtnDan
08-19-2003, 05:05 PM
Has ANYONE ever gotten their t-shirt from subscribing to Hot Boat? I've already figured on not getting mine...

jerry billet
08-20-2003, 10:59 AM
Yeah, always get one. But the wife sends in the paperwork and check so she checks off her size. Won't fit me.
Jerry

h2oski2fast
08-21-2003, 01:10 AM
ooopppsss
[ August 22, 2003, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: h2oski2fast ]

h2oski2fast
08-22-2003, 12:52 AM
oooopppppsssss

burbanite
08-22-2003, 06:59 AM
MagicMtnDan:
Has ANYONE ever gotten their t-shirt from subscribing to Hot Boat? I've already figured on not getting mine... Yep,
four times... :D

shockwavebd
08-22-2003, 09:04 AM
ULTRA28:
h2oski2fast:
I think that everyone is forgetting that most manufactures send the "cream of the crop" boats to these tests, not the average everyday boat they produce. Not all of us do that. I know that most of the time I just call a customer that has recently taken delivery of their boat to see if I can use it for the evaluations. I know that Dave does the same thing. I agree with jon on this one not every one stacks the deck