PDA

View Full Version : California beach camping in RV

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I am planning a trip up the coast and would love to hear your favorite spots. I have a 37 foot motorhome and some have max lengths. I like private nicer parks but some of the state parks are pretty nice too. I will have 2 boys 4 and 9 and need to keep them busy. We have Pismo and Monterey covered. I will go way past San Fransico this time. I Have woodalls and every other book but would love to hear some of your favorites.
I know it's not the usual drama thread but what the heck!! Thanks

MAINEVENT
03-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Its not san francisco but have you tried Jalama Beach...

riverracerx
03-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Jalama is nice. Used to spend a lot of time there as a kid. Not sure what it is like these days though?
My best advice is park where you can see the ocean! :p

pixrthis
03-17-2006, 01:54 PM
Ventanna Inn in Big Sur has an unbelievable campground

phuggit
03-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Another vote for Jalama. Great cheeseburgers.

shaffewm
03-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Another vote for Jalama. Great cheeseburgers.
Ditto big time!

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Thats what I'm talkin about! Thanks!

GunninGopher
03-17-2006, 07:09 PM
I've looked at Jalama on the web, but not being able to make reservations scares me off. How do you handle it?
Also, I hear it is a windsurfer spot, is the beach nice or does it get blown out?

infotraker
03-18-2006, 09:12 AM
We go to Gerstle Cove (Salt point rec area) about 15 miles above Jenner. Park the rv in the overflow site looking out at the ocean, cannt beat the view and the hiking along the rocky coast. Great tide pools at low tide. Dont tell to many people as we love the place and dont like crowds !!!

Debbolas
03-18-2006, 11:53 AM
We like San Onofre, (the nuclear power plants aren't THAT bad)
The surf is good, the campground has hookups and is nicely spaced out and there is a nice 1/2 mile walk down to the beach.
:D
We didn't like McGrath(too many wilderness rats....squirrels... or Carpenteria (just a parking lot)

Never Too Old
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
Kirk Creek in Big Sur. On a bluff - right on the ocean.

slcbaker
03-18-2006, 02:13 PM
If you wnat a really cool place stay at Jalama, but watch you kids when they are at the beach. that place has cold water and nasty rips. Last time I was there camping was a long time ago, SIX years. Still rember the kook thet had no wet suit and was stuck in rip on a body board. There were at the time no lifeguards. Watched him struggle and then had to paddle out and grab him. Besides that this place is really cool. Have Fun on your trip.

gqchris
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
I always stay at Carpenteria State Beach just South of Santa Barbara! I have a small 18 ft trailer that I use when i go, and it needs hookups at night. They have full hook ups and a great atmosphere. It is practically right on the sand. During the day you can explore tide pools and walk up and down the coastline. Nice little city to hang out at night to. Only thing is they have a limit on how long your rig can be, may want to check it out here:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/usa/ca/carp/newindex.html
You can make reservations and see what is avail all over Cali:)
Chris

YeLLowBoaT
03-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I always like the tamles bay area... its in the middle of a lot of great places to go. lets not forget the bay itself( as well as the waters just out side of it) have some great fishing. Me and my family take a trip up there every other year. Lots of things to do that are with in 15 mins. We always like to stay at this camp site....
http://www.olemaranch.com/
its very nices has showers, lundry mat, resturant and do too its location there is very little wind(in a very windy area)

Huckleberry
03-19-2006, 01:57 AM
We booked a week in June at this place. Havn't been there yet, but it looks real nice.
Westport Beach RV (http://www.westportbeachrv.com/index.html)

tamalewagon
03-19-2006, 07:32 PM
We like San Onofre, (the nuclear power plants aren't THAT bad)
The surf is good, the campground has hookups and is nicely spaced out and there is a nice 1/2 mile walk down to the beach.
:D
We didn't like McGrath(too many wilderness rats....squirrels... or Carpenteria (just a parking lot)
Have you tried San Elijo yet? If you like San Onofre, you would LOVE San Elijo. It's just south of Oceanside in Cardiff.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
03-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks again for all the great tips.