PDA

View Full Version : MS Front Page

Craig
06-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Anyone out there any good with Microsoft FrontPage? I know a lot of guys use Dreamweaver, but I had this program already and decided to try this web site stuff with it. But, I have a few questions that I can't get answered with the books.
Thanks,
Craig

Frosty_pop
06-11-2003, 06:58 PM
Ask away...

Craig
06-12-2003, 06:04 AM
The site worked great and I uploaded it. Then I checked everything, it all came up. Now there are two pictures that are the dreaded red X and one link from an article to page two doesn't work???? How does this happen. FYI, the site is www.justanothertoy.com (http://www.justanothertoy.com)

Sleek-Jet
06-12-2003, 06:38 AM
Checked the site out Craig. Pretty Cool. :cool:
Tried to get to the message board, no dice. Is it up and running?? :confused:

572Daytona
06-12-2003, 06:51 AM
I checked out one of the Red x's and you have the following
"www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/FRONT.jpg"
it should be:
"www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/front.jpg"
Most webservers such as your justanothertoy site are hosted on Unix and Unix is case sensitive meaning FRONT.jpg is not the same as front.jpg. Windows is not case sensitive so it worked fine when you tested it from your machine.

Party Cat
06-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Double post.....
[ June 12, 2003, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Party Cat ]

Party Cat
06-12-2003, 06:58 AM
Party Cat:
572's got it, the same with the cobra pic...
It's on the server as 'Cobra1.jpg' you are referencing it as 'COBRA1.jpg'
Cool pics....

572Daytona
06-12-2003, 07:21 AM
And for the bad page 2 link, somehow you chose a file reference:
"file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\HP%20Authorized%20Cu stom\My%20Documents\My%20Webs\just%20another%20toy 3\42mph2.htm"
instead of just http reference to the page in your web:
"http://www.justanothertoy.com/42mph2.htm"

Craig
06-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Man, thanks guys!!!! I'll correct the mess tonight when I get home! The message board and the guest book should be up tonight as well. I had to find the address to link them to the front page buttons. Thanks again!
One last question, I'm going to install a hit counter. From what I recall it tells you to cut and paste a bunch of this html code on the page. I'm not heavy on the code end at all yet. So if I understand this correctly, I copy what they give me and just put it at the end of the pages code and it should show the counter at the bottom of the page?
Craig

roostwear
06-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Craig,
You can make FP do alot more by using it as a WYSIWYG, but having a seperate graphics editor. Here's the easy way to paste HTML. In normal mode, click the cell you want to place the button in, then go to HTML and look for the cursor. Right click and paste and you're done. Click back on normal to check it.

Craig
06-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Makes sense, we'll see if I can do it without screwing it up tonight!
One other question on updates.
I go and change a page, then go to "Publish web", it only brings up the changed pages with a check mark. But...next to it is a question mark and a "conflict" in the status box. Can't figure out how to see what the actual conflict is and how to correct it????

Boatcop
06-12-2003, 09:56 AM
In front page, you have to paste the html code in the html screen.
In order to do this for your cvounter hit "VIEW" on the toolbar, and select "HTML". Paste the code ABOVE the lines that say "html" and "body" at the bottom.
After that's done hot "OKAY". You can then highlight the counter and center it in the usual way, if you want.
I used Front Page for all my pages.

Havasu Doug
06-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Nice site Craig! :D Thanks for the link brother! :D
I'll get one up on my site whenever you are ready for it. :D

Craig
06-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Thanks Alan, now I want to leave work early and go home and try and fix all my screw ups!
Doug, no problem, I was going to drop everyone a note that I linked to and tell them and make sure they didn't mind, as soon as I got the site 100% straight!

XTRM22
06-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Looks great Craig! I feel kinda famous, as opposed to infamous but that's another story.
Chuck