PDA

View Full Version : Will gas price affect your boating?

Rexone
03-13-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm curious as to everyone's view on gas prices. If gas prices reach the $3.00+ per gallon range which is predicted for the summer, how will it affect the amount you take your boat out?
>>>edit 3/5/2004 just bumping back to the top to see the views a year later... (post started 3/13/03)

Sleek-Jet
03-13-2003, 07:03 PM
I was going to build a higher compression engine this spring, but I'm going to knock that back a point or two so I can burn regular instead of premium (or even avgas) wink
Even at $3 a gallon, boating is relatively cheap entertainment for the weekend. Probably won't be making to many big trips this year though, will just stay local most of the time.
[ March 13, 2003, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Sleek-Jet ]

Stupid Fast
03-13-2003, 07:06 PM
I am hoping to do more boaing this summer. :D
Mabey, just mabey it will be less crowded.

mbrown2
03-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Rexone, you missed an option...."You Plan to Boat the Same, but Float More while Boating"...that would be my choice...increase float factor, decrease speed runs....just a tad.

Jesse James
03-13-2003, 07:47 PM
$3 per gallon puts me at about $900 per weekend but considering we only get about 16 weekends. Thats not terrible but it will make me think about running back and forth to pick people up.

Havasu Luvr
03-13-2003, 07:54 PM
It will not slow me down at all. I just need to find more friends to chip in on the cost. yuk River Babes ride for Free :D

Foss75
03-13-2003, 08:18 PM
That puts me at about $500 per weekend trip. A little more expensive than I would like, but it won't stop me from going out. I agree with mbrown's method of conservation.

HCS
03-13-2003, 08:19 PM
I always go boating as much as possible. F the gas prices, all cut back somewhere else. Even though it does kill the budget sometimes. :p
Drinking at the bar doesn't sound bad either. wink

Mandelon
03-13-2003, 08:23 PM
Gas is cheaper than bar cocktails...$3.00 gallon compared to $3.00 an ounce!! :D eek!

hd&boatrider
03-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Won't change my ways one friggin' bit. I look forward to boating too much but hope that it will keep some people off the lakes. Actually, just less congestion around the ramps is all I want.
Bring on the warm weather...I am ready! :)

Seadog
03-13-2003, 08:34 PM
By reducing the amount of trips that I tow, getting more gas off lake and a few less trips to Bubba's and Applegate's, I should keep the budget in control. Now if I can sell the old boat (which got much better mileage), I might be able to handle the $2k hit I just took on my trucks.

Infomaniac
03-13-2003, 08:37 PM
I run Methanol in the fast lake boat. 71.00 per 55 gallons.
The family boat does not use that much gasoline. Short trip from the ramp to any good hang out on Oklahoma lakes. Pulling the kids on the toys uses the most which is not hardly any.
The truck is not a concern. 5 nice lakes within 45 minutes of the house.
We are going boating regardless.
[ March 13, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

jet4fun
03-13-2003, 08:41 PM
i gotta take a little of what everyone said... i am just gonna float more, limit the speed runs cry , and propably make a lot more local trips then i'd like to since my truck gets under 8mpg when towing my boat... but i dont plan on actually going to the water any less times than normal...
p.s. we should wish that this isnt what the gas companies think... the problem is that even though these gas prices are a joke we still seem to use almost the same amount of gas... why??? because we still need to for the most part go the places we are going, and we dont want to sacrifice our lifestyles for some asshole in iraq :mad:

moneypit
03-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Gas per gallon aint nothin.... Its water per gallon that Im worried about. Hell I just wont bring any bottled water!

77charger
03-13-2003, 08:57 PM
as for me i was used to paying for av gas in my jet boat now i have a 350 i/o that can run on 87 so as for the boat it wont change my only prob is the tow vehicle now it will cost me double.I still plan on one outing per month.my wife doesnt go every time maybe 2 trips so when i go solo or meet with others i can skip the hotel and sleep in the truck or someones floor.i might only make 3 trips to havasu this year from apr to oct the rest well powell is on the agenda.another thing is that gas will be cheaper out of state for me.

Skullinator
03-13-2003, 09:19 PM
At some point this has to stop,there is no shortage of oil. it's all fear over a war the UN keeps pushing off and it's time the general public start pushing back if not well be like the eurpeans paying 3 pounds per liter which is like 5.00 per gallon

locogringo
03-13-2003, 11:01 PM
I have a feeling I am going to see a Havasu Channel full of boats this summer.

syke-o
03-14-2003, 03:58 PM
locogringo:
I have a feeling I am going to see a Havasu Channel full of boats this summer. i dont think the channel can get any more crowded than it already is :D

Sandbar Junkies
03-14-2003, 05:48 PM
It's only money it will grow back. Just water the tree a little more.

Ziggy
03-14-2003, 05:59 PM
It's gonna be cheaper for me now that I bought a house in Havasu, no towing expenses. Save on gas money to pay mortgage and keep the boat there.
More float time, less WOT runs up/down the lake but doubt the overall effect will dampen the river spirit.. Party on!

twistedpair
03-14-2003, 06:09 PM
I think I'll just buy a KeelGuard and beach it more. Definitely will not be cutting down on my lake addiction.

DaveA
03-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey Mike,
Since I'm on the lake (for now) I'll just go back to hauling the 150 gallon tank wagon down to the oil jobber for bulk gas for the lake toys, and forego the marina. I ran 'mogas' in the airplane for years using that tank, and filled the boats as an afterthought. Will probably use it regularly this summer now!!
DaveA

VillainDave
03-14-2003, 08:45 PM
I'll to less long range tripps and try to stay local.

spectras only
03-14-2003, 08:49 PM
I'm just going to use my friends boat at the lake more often than mine here at the lower mainland :D

MJ19
03-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Could affect how many miles and to what states we are willing to drive to, just to get in the water, but it won't affect our actual boating time at all. :D We'll still hit the local lake just as often as before!

HCS
03-14-2003, 10:37 PM
MJ19:
Could affect how many miles and to what states we are willing to drive to, just to get in the water, but it won't affect our actual boating time at all. :D We'll still hit the local lake just as often as before! I'm following ya here. We need free market oil. It's like star wars. Were the force. wink

fatalbert
03-14-2003, 11:46 PM
The goal is to be out once a month; At that rate, the budget won't be hit that bad. More than that and the 454 in the tow vehicle would be worse than the boat. Luckily can store on the parker stip for $20.00 a month (outdoor), so it should be a good summer as long as prices don't keep going up a whole lot more.
srs

Tahiti Owner
03-15-2003, 04:20 PM
WOW Just how far do you all have to travel to get to the water and what could possibly go through up to $900.00 a weekend for fuel? Just how bad is the price of gas out west anyway? I just filled up at $1.539 today here. I'll just stay right here where the fuel prices are reasonable and the water is close!

Irishluck
03-15-2003, 04:59 PM
They predict that it will hit 3.00 dollars a gallon out in the west. As far as it slowing down the lake time, hell no I'll just drink less beer.

Thunderbutt
03-15-2003, 05:55 PM
mbrown2:
Rexone, you missed an option...."You Plan to Boat the Same, but Float More while Boating"...that would be my choice...increase float factor, decrease speed runs....just a tad. mbrown2m People have been doing that for years. Here a LOTO that is what they do, they get to were they want to go and sit all day. I've been here for 6 years and can count on one hand the amount of people sking or boarding, execpt when my kids come to visit. The new gas price will make it worse, we won't get to $3.00 a gal. If I run my boat all day pulling skiers and my kids and grandkids run the wave runner, I'm talking 60 to 80 gal's a day. Hay its only money. I remember when gas jump from 37.9 to 1,25 in the 70's, and we all said I don't care if it goes to 2.00 we are still going. Well here we are

shockwavebd
03-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Havasu Luvr:
It will not slow me down at all. I just need to find more friends to chip in on the cost. yuk River Babes ride for Free :D Hell I'm just gonna go with you , Than I won't have to put any gas in my boat

grimreaper
03-15-2003, 08:18 PM
5 to 9 Hun a weekend on fuel?.......plus lodging and par-tays !!
WTF do you guys do for a living?

MJ19
03-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Tahiti Owner:
WOW Just how far do you all have to travel to get to the water and what could possibly go through up to $900.00 a weekend for fuel? Just how bad is the price of gas out west anyway? I just filled up at $1.539 today here. I'll just stay right here where the fuel prices are reasonable and the water is close! I don't think we spend 5 to 9 hundred eek! that's a lot!...but we do put out some casheesh when we hit the water. It isn't cheap to travel from Central California to AZ, NV, Or CO with a boat in tow and a camper on the back of the truck...uses a bit of gas when you're that heavy and gas is $2.10 a gallon. camp ground fees or lodging, food, drinks, etc...oh yeah and gas in the boat when we get on the water. It all adds up. :rolleyes:
If we go to a local lake for the weekend, we typically spend a few hundred for a weekend. Gas to drive (about 2 hour drive to our local boat friendly lake) camp fees, gas for the boat, food, drinks, etc...
Some tag alongs have no idea how much it can cost to play. We always remember which friends offer to chip in and which ones don't. We don't always take their offers (sometimes we do, depends) but we always remember the folks that don't offer anything. They rarely are invited again. :D

olds455jet
03-16-2003, 09:18 PM
Im going to store the boat at the river this summer, no camping fees I have use of a trailer on the river. Im still going to the river at least once a month this summer.

B-rad502
03-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Hell no!! I have to make up for not as many trips last year!! If I was worried too much about fuel, I wouldn't have a boat w/ a 502 and a truck with a V10!! :D

Rexone
03-05-2004, 05:14 PM
just bumping back to the top to see the views a year later... similar problem, except a little earlier this year, and a little higher prices it seems than they actually reached in 03.
(thread was started 3/13/03)

al cole'holic
03-05-2004, 05:29 PM
If the gas supply runs out, yes.

riverbound
03-05-2004, 05:32 PM
We are still goning on the same number of trips we will just be spending more time floating.

Jbb
03-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Gas prices wont effect my boating at all....A mans gotta have his toys!

ITS ALL GOOD
03-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Will not affect our boating habits , just the cost of the lifestyle we have chosen.

fourspeednup
03-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, I hate to be the one who says yes, but gas prices WILL get in the way of my boating. I'm a full time student and my spending $$$ comes either from side jobs during the school year or from part time gigs in the summer.
I will certainly get out to the river and cruise around(read float)but may not make it all the way down to the channel very often this summer.
But I do plan on bringing the boat back to socal from the river and hitting some local lakes w/in an hour tow.
Oh yeah, if anyone reads this...I always contribute to gas/beer funds when I ride with someone else;)
Be sure to wave as I float by :D

RJ Nordic
03-05-2004, 06:19 PM
We pay to play. Figure it beats the cost of a shrink.
Definately makes me feel good about the decision to store the boat in Havasu instead of towing it back and forth.:D
Oh well the kids just won't inherit as much as they think they will.

little rowe boat
03-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Since I tow back and forth it will affect the amount of times we hit Havasu this year,maybe more local outings this year.:frown: