PDA

View Full Version : Queston for Boatcop, or others

Danhercules
07-23-2003, 07:32 AM
I was in Laughlin this past weekend. A buddy and I were heading down river and got stopped by a line of Sea-Doo cops. They pulled us to the side to Big Bend(?) camp ground. They were doing a safty/ sobriity(sp?) check. I got tested and passed cause I drink Odouls on the water. :D I did get a ticket for not through coushin. I did check before left the house but it must have blown out. I deserve the ticket no question there. My buddy got the same ticket, ( he did not know he needed one). The tickets are from Navada -Division of Wildlife. Out violatons are the same on the ticket, but mines is for $82.00 and his is $52.00. WTF? :confused: My buddy was 20 ft away and I mentiond it to the officer, ( by the way, I did not throw any attitude, I just asked why) He said it might be a Arizona cop giving him a ticket, it was not, he was a NV. Any suggestions???

Danhercules
07-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Bumpity bump bump.

Ziggy
07-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Make a copy of his ticket, showing date, time, violation number and send them the check for $52. with that copy and yours. You'd find out soon enough if they'll correct it or not. :D
Thats what I'd do, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Moneypitt
07-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Where do these violations come from? A throw cushin? I know you must have PFD for all aboard, but a throw cushin. Also I hear about flame arresters, (air filters), what boats CAN'T run a standard ol' air cleaner, or none at all. Are these laws for a certain type of, or over a minimum size, inclosed engine compartment etc. I must be living in a cave, I've never had any of the above, or been asked about them by the rangers,/boat cops I've ran into here in Ca.

Moneypitt
07-23-2003, 07:24 PM
How about a link to this info, real laws and requirements......Thanks

Kilrtoy
07-23-2003, 07:27 PM
Yes you need the throw cushion. Its in the boating ABC's in all three states...

VillainDave
07-23-2003, 07:38 PM
I would like to know if it's the state that comes up with the price of the ticket or is it just what ever pops into the cops head!!!!

Danhercules
07-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Looks like what ever he wants to skim off the top!!!! :D Just kidding, There is a mistake somewhere, he double checked his sheet, and he thought he was right. Maybe I should go and fight it in person, that means I would have to go to Laughlin again!!! idea

BP1330
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Sorry about the ticket. But the throwable is a USCG regulation. I will try to get a link tomorrow from work for every one here that will take you to all the requirements for your boats. They do change by size so it can get kinda confusing.

TroubIeOnWater
07-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Those throwables are like $9 and IMO a damn good thing to have. Especially if your in CO and your friends are all morons that don't know how to swim. I gotta say that like 65% of the people I know here dont know how to swim. WTF??? Parents should teach their kids to swim!

Kilrtoy
07-23-2003, 08:31 PM
He may have had an old price list and his buddy had the new one or vice versa, so one of you got off luckier than the other...

RacerX
07-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Fines are all set by somebody other than the police. For example, bail amounts in EACH county are set by a panel of Judges. Fines for parking tickets are set by EACH city or County where they are enforced.
At least in California, a FEW traffic violations have fixed fines (carpool lane & red light violations come to mind) but most fines here are at the whim of the judge you appear in front of.

RiverToysJas
07-24-2003, 09:18 AM
TroubIeOnWater:
Parents should teach their kids to swim! I literally tossed my 3yo (4 in Sept) off the boat just last weekend to make sure he would come up and swim back. He did!
He was a bit surprised, but then thought it was fun. We've been working on his swimming for months now and he took classes starting when he was two. Now he's almost a fish, as long as he floatation on. He loves to go under water though, even opens his eyes.
RTJas :D

91nordic29
07-24-2003, 09:29 AM
RiverToysJas:
TroubIeOnWater:
Parents should teach their kids to swim! I literally tossed my 3yo (4 in Sept) off the boat just last weekend to make sure he would come up and swim back. He did!
He was a bit surprised, but then thought it was fun. We've been working on his swimming for months now and he took classes starting when he was two. Now he's almost a fish, as long as he floatation on. He loves to go under water though, even opens his eyes.
RTJas :D that is how we learned. at the south end of lake havasu! me, sis, and our weanie dog, skipper. skipper almost didnt make it.

victorfb
07-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Hey Dan... throw "skipper" your new throw cushion would ya? :p

BP1330
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Heres the link. web page (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fed_reqs/landing.htm)

mbrown2
07-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Dave, I think he meant on either Mojave or the Laughlin strip...I was on the Parker strip Saturday and Sunday, and there were no Cops on Sea Doos at any part of the river, but there were alot of dumb sea doo'ers on the river :)

BP1330
07-24-2003, 02:39 PM
If any one has any question you can send me a message. If I don't know the answer I should be able to find it the same day.

Danhercules
07-24-2003, 08:20 PM
RiverDave:
Danhercules:
I was in Laughlin this past weekend. A buddy and I were heading down river and got stopped by a line of Sea-Doo cops. They pulled us to the side to Big Bend(?) camp ground. They were doing a safty/ sobriity(sp?) check. I got tested and passed cause I drink Odouls on the water. :D I did get a ticket for not through coushin. I did check before left the house but it must have blown out. I deserve the ticket no question there. My buddy got the same ticket, ( he did not know he needed one). The tickets are from Navada -Division of Wildlife. Out violatons are the same on the ticket, but mines is for $82.00 and his is $52.00. WTF? :confused: My buddy was 20 ft away and I mentiond it to the officer, ( by the way, I did not throw any attitude, I just asked why) He said it might be a Arizona cop giving him a ticket, it was not, he was a NV. Any suggestions??? A "Line" of SeaDoo boatcops?? So this was a sobriety check point in Parker?
RD Yea, Line of Sea-Doo cops. It was south of Laughlin strip, close the the "pipeline".