PDA

View Full Version : Hot Boat editing?

GasTurbine
02-18-2003, 06:41 AM
Anybody else notice all the errors and typos in the magazine?
In this monthÂ’s magazine, on page 22, the writers response to a letter states "Increased transom lift causes the noise of the boat to run deeper...".
And on page 45, the last paragraph of the third column, “One word about Thunderbird’s upholstery work, installed in-house at their Indiana facil-“ goes nowhere after that.
And then on page 95, in the middle of the first paragraph under “18’ Sleekcraft”, it says “The engine had a bend rod, and was rebuilt…”
Now donÂ’t get me wrong, I love the magazine, but I see this on a regular basis. I would think someone would sit down and read/edit a national magazine publication before release.
Oh wellÂ…IÂ’ll get of my box now. boxed
[ February 18, 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: GasTurbine ]

JetBoatRich
02-18-2003, 06:43 AM
We all make mistakes on our post from time to time. wink
Oh wait they do this for a living eek! I would expect a little more from them idea

HammerDown
02-18-2003, 06:47 AM
All right Hot Boat Mag...I'm looking for new work...I'll do it. :D

MANIC MECHANIC
02-18-2003, 06:49 AM
I'm amazed that after all these years, they still have never figured out how to spell the word VANES (in reference to jetpumps)! They still call them VEINS. :D Tim

MANIC MECHANIC
02-18-2003, 06:51 AM
I'm amazed that after all these years, they still have never figured out how to spell the word VANES (in reference to jetpumps)! They still call them VEINS. :D Tim

Kilrtoy
02-18-2003, 07:16 AM
The only thing they know how to edit is the "PINK"

hot_diggity_dog
02-18-2003, 09:22 AM
The only thing they know how to edit is the "PINK" And that isn't right! :mad:
Skin to win :D :p :D :p :D
HDD :cool:

skeepwerkzaz
02-18-2003, 09:34 AM
I am constantly amazed at the material that makes it past "editors." Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they all seem to be named Ed.......
Skeep

HOOTER SLED-
02-18-2003, 10:29 AM
GasTurbine:
In this monthÂ’s magazine, on page 22, the writers response to a letter states "Increased transom lift causes the noise of the boat to run deeper...".
And on page 45, the last paragraph of the third column, “One word about Thunderbird’s upholstery work, installed in-house at their Indiana facil-“ goes nowhere after that.
And then on page 95, in the middle of the first paragraph under “18’ Sleekcraft”, it says “The engine had a bend rod, and was rebuilt…”
Now donÂ’t get me wrong, I love the magazine, but I see this on a regular basis. I would think someone would sit down and read/edit a national magazine publication before release.
Oh wellÂ…IÂ’ll get of my box now. boxed That's because they are on here trying to edit out all the X rated stuff. HAHA. Where are all the sandbar shots. Show me obscenities mannnnn!! LOL

Seadog
02-18-2003, 11:25 AM
The skills needed for a good editor are sadly ignored anymore. I edit a trade magazine that I am chair of and I can tell you that it takes a focused mindset to do right. With the demands for multitasking nowadays, it is hard to concentrate on every nuance. I was part of a focus group for our local paper and the main gripe we had was the poor editing and distorted facts. A few weks later they are all over the focus group discussion they had. Catch was, they brought in a different focus group that told a different story.

Boatcop
02-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Blame computers and the dumbing down of our public schools.
All computers, including the magazine editing computers, have that wonderful feature called "spell check". Push a button, and it magically checks your work for errors and corrects them.
Unfortunately, the computer doesn't know the difference between "too", "to", or "two". "Vein" or vane". "Through" or "threw", "your" or "you're", "flew" or "flue". etc. etc. etc.
People assume that since the spell checker says it's good to go. They, either through laziness, ignorance, deadlines, or a combinaion of the three, don't bother to proof read the story, or have someone proof it for them.
Another problem is that schools now put higher priority on self esteem than on actual correctness. When I was in school (way back in the middle or so of the last century :D ) everything we did was graded on spelling. Math word problems. English (of course) Social Studies. Everything, was marked off a few points for misspelled words.
When I was going over my kid's (now 22 and 28 years old) homework, every other word was misspelled. When I told them to re-do it, they told me that spelling didn't count. After I grew tired of fighting with to them re-write it, I finally told them to just submit a book report the way it was, typos, misspellings and all.
They were right. No deduction for misspelled words. At a Parent-Teacher conference, I asked about it, and they said that they put the emphasis on content, not on "technical spelling errors".
To this day, I still just shake my head in disbelief.
Years ago, you would NEVER see typos or misspellings in major magazines. Now it occurs on every page, it seems. If a typo was found in Life magazine, they'd stop the run, and pull all the copies from print and re run it. Misspellings were a cardinal sin in the industry. Now it seems like the norm.
With the combination of the above factors, it's no wonder most magazines today are at the pillar of mediocrity.

Moomawnster
02-18-2003, 03:16 PM
I ran the presses for the local weekley newspaper so I got to proof read the proof reader and I tell you it was bad ... but one thing you must remember .... Its easy to second guess someone else but if YOU had the job I suspect it would not be as easy as you think. Hell if people would only proof the posts they put on the forum it would make a HUGE improvement ... :rolleyes:

Mandelon
02-18-2003, 03:18 PM
That their pairagraf was reel well sed, I no wut yoo meen, Botekop :D :D
[ February 18, 2003, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

HotHallet
02-18-2003, 03:25 PM
In their defense I work for a large monthly magazine and it does get tough catching everything before it goes to the printer. However, your complaints are legitimate and there is no excuse for such obvious mistakes. I want to see better content and not so much coverage on new 25-30 foot dick extension boats. I know advertisers pay the bills and they have to stroke them but can we please see some more coverage of classic hot rod boat features including old jets and flatties with outrageous engines. I'm so sick of looking at material my financial state of mind can't relate to. Just my opinion as I am starting to think my subscription is a waste of money.

GasTurbine
02-24-2003, 05:58 AM
GasTurbine:
And not to mention, the information given was wrong as well. He stated that the LSV did *not* have a v-drive...fact is, it does.
just the last $.02. :rolleyes:

FishBoneRipple III
02-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Unfortunately, the computer doesn't know the difference between "too", "to", or "two". "Vein" or vane". "Through" or "threw", "your" or "you're", "flew" or "flue". etc. etc. etc. Not only that...but, computers don't know correct punctuation either. Commas and periods always go inside quotation marks.

JetBoatRich
02-24-2003, 06:46 AM
So cool we get english lessons on-line :D

502procharger
02-24-2003, 08:51 AM
i just never notice because i cant spell for shit :D