PDA

View Full Version : River/Lake Trip Etiquette (passangers)

bear down
03-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they do individually on boating trips to the river when a lot of friends join you on your boat and ride with you on the way up to Lake Havasu or other destination.
Do you tax your friends for fuel for your drive up and fuel for the boat? Do you only collect from people who offer to help out? I hate asking for money for fuel but I figure since I have people other than my wife and myself that I will burn up more fuel and have more wear on tear on the boat. What is everyone's thought on this? Since I have my new Eliminator 220 Eagle I like to make the right choices that will benefit everyone's best interest.

twistedpair
03-14-2003, 06:35 PM
I usually just ask that people bring their own food and beverages. Fuel I don't really mess with, as I was going boating regardless of them coming or not. Usually my passengers will pop for dinner or drinks anyway, so it all works out.

carreraboat
03-14-2003, 07:18 PM
What i have done in the past and it seems to be the most fair is start a kitty everyone who is going put in a hundred dollars that takes care of all beer and fuel, meals and lodging are up to the individual it works out the best once the kitty is gone eveyone puts in again that way no hurt feelings and you do not have to feel bad when you have ask for some help to put a 100.00 worth of fuel in your boat

Boatcop
03-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Be careful what you ask for.
The Coast Guard defines a passenger vessel for hire as one that the owner/operator derives any benefit from the operation of the vessel.
If you make contributing to a kitty, bringing the refreshments, buying gas, etc. a condition of them going on a boat ride, you are operating a commercial vessel, and must possess the proper captain's license, and the oat must have proper Coast Guard Inspection/ Certification.
For 6 passengers or less, the required license is a standard CG Motorboat Operator's License. (we used to call it a "6-pack" license. You know. Bring a six-pack and I'll take you skiing.)
That's the "letter of the law". In reality, they couldn't give a rat's ass if a friend is chipping in for fuel, food, and cerveza. They just want to make sure someone's not making a living off their boat without the proper credentials.
Besides, they've got more important things to worry about these days.

77charger
03-14-2003, 08:36 PM
wheni use to go to havavsu back in 94-96 with my jet noat i had a couple of friends who would want to go i told them upfront i only have room for 2-3 more at the most total of 3-4 of us and we split the cost room.gas, .We always went in my truck and i would take care of the hotel res but would break down the cost roughly good thing they all understood the expenses and pitched in fairly.Turned out about150.00(for a 3 day weekend) for each of us and if the boat or truck used more fuel than ihad planned i took up the extra coast always worked good and it was usually the same 2 friends who always went the others who wanted to go never had money just wanted to go for the free ride.
For this summer i will definitely need some gsa donations or a place to stay.Otherwords you get the place to stay i'll pay the gas and supply the boat!

Mandelon
03-14-2003, 09:04 PM
I think the passengers should definitely volunteet to pay for beer or kick down for gas. Like was said, I 'd be paying for gas anyway.
If no one is offering, I pull up the minimart/gas station and announce that "who-ever" needs to go buy the beer while I put in the gas. Or ask, so who's buying me dinner??? Never had a complaint, cuz they know they should be kicking down with the green.
Some people will be happy to just take what you have without a thought. They don't get invited back. wink

bordsmnj
03-14-2003, 09:49 PM
i'm fairly new to the river and boating and so are most of the people that go/have gone with me. I don't ask them their first time out with us but the next time it's pretty much kick down time. :D
i'm sure i couldn't show a profit even if i had all my gas paid for all summer. a new 40,000 boat depreciates alot in the first year of use. gas can be three hundred a weekend this year no prob. so say the boat depreciates ten grand and i go boating 20 times. thats 500$ an outing. with out gas and insurance and all the little things that always come up. all of it over head. i could charge two buddies a hundred a weekend each and not show a profit for a long time. 2cents.
[ March 15, 2003, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

Wet Dream
03-14-2003, 09:55 PM
A friend of mine summed it up well on his boat. He has a little sticker on the dash in front of the passenger seat that reads...
"This boat doesn't run on friendship"
[ March 14, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

TrojanDan
03-15-2003, 12:29 AM
Wet Dream:
"This boat doesn't run on friendship" Had that on my trailer license plate frame.
Beardown, make sure you also get them to help you wipe down/clean your boat in addition to chipping in for gas. You'll really find out who's your true friends, the ones who will help wipe down your boat when it's 100 degrees outside (women are NOT exluded from this activity).

Backtanner
03-15-2003, 03:11 AM
Depends on the friend level. Good friends get to slide. Acquaintances get taxed. I got burned once by a fellow student(acquaintance) who asked if he could hitch a ride to a mutual friend's river pad for spring break a few years back. Didn't offer any cash to get there, no offer for boat gas, did buy his own beer though (although drank ours when his 6-pack ran out). Didn't find out till later he even stiffed Mrs Tanner for lunch at Topok.

Moomawnster
03-15-2003, 03:23 AM
Any contributions at the Mawnster Lair are voluntary .... NOBODY helps with any of the real work involved , this is actually a good thing because I maintain TOTAL authority ..... competence is not rampant in the Party crowd and this sport is not a "game" to me ..... moo

Stupid Fast
03-15-2003, 03:27 AM
Mandelon:
Some people will be happy to just take what you have without a thought. They don't get invited back. wink This is so true. I realy don't care about the money. It is the thought. When you see their tail lights before the boat is even out of the water, it kinda......no realy pisses me off. I have a buddy that is always strapped for cash. I take him and his family out on the boat quite often. He doesnt "pay" for anything. However, he helps clean and wipe down the boat, helps with the cover, plus acts like the "mechanics helper" when big parts turn into Weee parts. He has buffed the boat and detailed it several times. And on and on.
Even though not one dime has transfered hands, He is always welcom on my boat.
NOW MY WIFES FRIENDS ARE A TOTALY DIFFERENT STORY
most of them get one ride (not day) before I get tired of their shit.

Sun burners
03-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Having a partner that can back up the trailer is a big plus!

77charger
03-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Stupid Fast:
I have a buddy that is always strapped for cash. I take him and his family out on the boat quite often. He doesnt "pay" for anything. However, he helps clean and wipe down the boat, helps with the cover, plus acts like the "mechanics helper" when big parts turn into Weee parts. He has buffed the boat and detailed it several times. And on and on.
Even though not one dime has transfered hands, He is always welcom on my boat.
NOW MY WIFES FRIENDS ARE A TOTALY DIFFERENT STORY
most of them get one ride (not day) before I get tired of their shit. Thats a good trade off too.Someone who can help with skills instead of cash i consider those too when i boat you're lucky on that one.I have a cuople of friends who dont have boats but are willing to tow my boat(even though i have a tow vehicle) for me and help clean it they say its cheaper than owning one LOL but true!
not many are willing to help out with that most people you take and the boat breaks down will stare at you like whats wrong and get pissed because they think their day is ruined.

mmered8299
03-15-2003, 08:31 AM
I tell them to sit down, shut up, and pass me a cold one! :D :D :D

Mandelon
03-15-2003, 08:40 AM
We should print this thread and hand it out upon embarking!!!! :D
I have a t-shirt that says "My boat runs on gas, Not Thanks."
I agree with the friends helping out with the cleanup. My good ones do. We go wakeboarding pretty often and the guys that meet me at myhouse are alright, cuz they help clean up. Its the ones that want to meet you at the ramp.....that don't go too often. wink

hd&boatrider
03-15-2003, 08:58 AM
It is this simple...If you can't afford the gas don't buy a boat. If you can't afford the friends don't have em. On my boat I have very few rules but they seem o wwork.
1) Help clean the boat after we pull it out.
2) Bring your own drinks
3) Bring your own ice--lots of it
4) If I take a bunch of females out on the boat no men are invited on the boat and if you take off you are on your own.
5) Above all respect my friggin' boat
6) Help with anchors tie downs etc if asked
7) Have a good time and party
These seem to work well.

Skullinator
03-15-2003, 08:59 AM
here's my deal if i ask you to go with me it's completly up to that person if he or she wants to kick some cash in. But if you ask me if you can go i think it's only right you throw some cash in. Then just don't invite those who don't kick in,When i didn,t have a boat and someone would take me i would feel guilty not helping out.

Ian
03-15-2003, 09:29 AM
I think I might be in a different league than the rest of you guys because I am a college student with a part time job, so every dime counts. When we go to the lake for a day I'll usually fill-up the boat, a friend will tow it and another friend pays the entrance fee, we all buy our own beverages and food. When we go camping everyone throws into a pot before we go, this covers gas for the boat and tow vehicle, camping fees and beer, typically one of my budies will tow the boat with their truck and we usually rotate driving responsabilities. I like to wipe down the boat at the end of the day because I am very particular about how it's done. I don't think this is unfair, I pay insurance, maintain the boat, install bumping stereo, etc... All my friends know if they don't respect my boat one of two things are going to happen, their either getting roughed up or their getting left. The worst are the friends who own their own boat or sea doo and still want to go with me because they can't afford to use their boat burningm

Ed Arnold
03-15-2003, 09:40 AM
If I have to ask them to chip in for gas or what ever, their first trip is on me. There will be no second trip! As you all know we enjoy having frirnds with us, but I already have 4 kids and a wife with their hands out. I like the phrase " This Boat Dosn't Run On Friendship". It cost $100k for the boat, $300 bucks to fill it up, you got insurance, reg., and not to mention the wear and tear it gets when everyone is using it for a toy. I think most people who appriciate your hospitality will gladly "PONY-UP". Just my 2 cents, maybe that's why I only have 2 friends, you think?

hd&boatrider
03-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Ian:
I think I might be in a different league than the rest of you guys because I am a college student with a part time job, so every dime counts. When we go to the lake for a day I'll usually fill-up the boat, a friend will tow it and another friend pays the entrance fee, we all buy our own beverages and food. When we go camping everyone throws into a pot before we go, this covers gas for the boat and tow vehicle, camping fees and beer, typically one of my budies will tow the boat with their truck and we usually rotate driving responsabilities. I like to wipe down the boat at the end of the day because I am very particular about how it's done. I don't think this is unfair, I pay insurance, maintain the boat, install bumping stereo, etc... All my friends know if they don't respect my boat one of two things are going to happen, their either getting roughed up or their getting left. The worst are the friends who own their own boat or sea doo and still want to go with me because they can't afford to use their boat burningm To me that sounds very fair. I am pretty particular about cleaning the boat also. There are plenty of people I just don't ask out anymore if they disrespect the boat. The same goes for someone who comes to your house and disrespects it. No class people can go somewhere else. I prefer not to have them around me.

jetterw454
03-15-2003, 11:24 AM
I too hate asking for boat gas money, but if I am driving them to havasu, then I ask for gas money. My biggest concerns are:
1) bring your own beer
2) bring your own food
3) bring your own chair
4) I strutinize what they are wearing. especially for jewelry, type of sandles, and any sharp objects so they won't scratch the boat. I have had too many scratches that no one admits too.
bear down:
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they do individually on boating trips to the river when a lot of friends join you on your boat and ride with you on the way up to Lake Havasu or other destination.
Do you tax your friends for fuel for your drive up and fuel for the boat? Do you only collect from people who offer to help out? I hate asking for money for fuel but I figure since I have people other than my wife and myself that I will burn up more fuel and have more wear on tear on the boat. What is everyone's thought on this? Since I have my new Eliminator 220 Eagle I like to make the right choices that will benefit everyone's best interest.

Dribble
03-15-2003, 11:47 AM
I ask them to bring the beer maybe food etc. They always offer to kick in for gas but I never accept it.

Skaterfast
03-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Anyone who's coming along in your boat that doesn't own a boat should have the money to pay for everything.That includes hotel,gas,food,etc.In no way should you be spending more money than the guest.Knowing what I know now about the cost of boating if I were going on someone elses boat.I would not let the owner get out his wallet.If there are 3 dinners to buy then no way should you be paying for 2 of those dinners.
My liscense plate frame says,
"my boat runs on gas not thanks".

Kilrtoy
03-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Beardown, make sure you also get them to help you wipe down/clean your boat in addition to chipping in for gas. You'll really find out who's your true friends, the ones who will help wipe down your boat when it's 100 degrees outside (women are NOT exluded from this activity).
Whole Jesus, I agree with you TROJAN DAN. You can ride for free, even pass on the beer, But you better get out and help with cleaning the damn boat...

TrojanDan
03-15-2003, 04:16 PM
It's all good Kirtoy. wink .
If my buddy's chic doesn't help out then I make him work twice as hard.

bordsmnj
03-15-2003, 06:42 PM
i used to smoke in my old boat don't think i'm gonna do it in the new one due to past experience anyone else have issues with this or does the prob not arise. all i know is that in my last new truck (60,000 miles in 2 years)there where three cig. burns and not one was from me. not one in 60000miles but how far do you think the culprits rode before being stupid with their cig? I still smoke plenty and drink alot of coffee to boot but i think the new ride is going to be a nonsmoking zone. :rolleyes: