PDA

View Full Version : SPAM!!! 2000 VW Beetle for sale

Froggystyle
01-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Great car for someone. We bought it new and are moving up to a Cadillac CTS for Audrey. Very Clean, well maintained and stock as a rock (except for the upgrade rims)
6 Disk Changer, GL Model, Silver with Black Cloth interior. 45K miles.
Asking $11,790 on Trader... take $10,500 from Hot Boater.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/vw2000.jpg
[ January 22, 2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

HOSS
01-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Must have gotten sick of the check engine light and emissions workshop light!
Don`t feel bad, everyone does. The reason VW has the highest resale value is that they are still under warranty when traded in.
2nd owner gets a 50k powertrain. But watch it, VW made sure there are alot of loop holes.
VW`s will always kick a light on if you use regular gas. VR6 and 1.8T must use Super. pig_flyi

Mandelon
01-21-2003, 07:53 PM
C'mon Wes, how many thousands of watts is the stereo in there now? :D

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 08:15 AM
Mandelon:
C'mon Wes, how many thousands of watts is the stereo in there now? :D Seriously... stock! This is my wife's car and we didn't touch it.
Funny thing is, Hoss is right. I am taking it in this week to get a full service for the next owner because of the little light.
How do he know? wink

HOSS
01-22-2003, 08:31 AM
Check to make sure that your gas cap is fully on! This will make the light come on as well. VW has what is called a secondary air injection system. This is always checking for vacuum leaks. Even in the tank! Also check to see if the vacuum hose is frayed on very front upper part of motor. For a valve. This is another major light starter. Run some premium in it to clean o2 sensor. Change air filter. Unless this is a diesel, clean glo plugs!
I charged people a minimum 1hr. diag. time. That was just to reset computer! Small vacuum leak, you`ll pay me 180.00 minimum. cry Mechanics loved me! :D
Sooner or later the public will catch on! idea

The Bug
01-22-2003, 08:37 AM
oh my gosh!! i love those cars. i want one so bad and i have been looking for one i like. where do you live? maybe i could stop by sometime to check it out.

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 08:47 AM
The Bug:
oh my gosh!! i love those cars. i want one so bad and i have been looking for one i like. where do you live? maybe i could stop by sometime to check it out. San Diego... hop skip and a jump. Although, you are going to be pissed about how many "bugs" I just removed from the front while cleaning it yesterday! Get it... The Bug.... Tough sub...

RPrincez
01-22-2003, 08:48 AM
LOL

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Hoss, is there an easy way to reset the computer after checking for vacuum leaks? Or will the light silence itself after running good gas?
I just changed the filters and oil, and have kept up with all of the maintenance to a tee... that is why this light has me confused. I will try premium tonight.
Can I clean the O2 sensor by removing it and cleaning, or should I just replace it?

The Bug
01-22-2003, 09:34 AM
have you had any problems with it? besides the lighta always coming on?

HOSS
01-22-2003, 09:43 AM
99% of the time it is a fuel issue/vacuum leak. Check hoses thoroughly. They look like a fabric skin. Change whatever YOU find questionable. You can clean the O2 but I wouldn`t waste the time. What motor is it? DO run premium and CLEAN the throttle body. Also clean the mass airflow. Just spray in the throat and wipe. These vehicles are extremely sensitive to weather,temp and fuel! Drive by wire most. Sensors for evrything. I think that in VW`s case, electronics are way ahead of software. Variables aren`t wide enough for the variety of elements the vehicles operate in on a daily basis.
back to the motor, if its a 1.8t, you HAVE to run 91 or higher. it says it on the sticker on fuel lid door. How many times actuator for that broke? If it is a 2.0, you must run 89 or higher. I know it doesn`t say that but trust me.
Vacuum leaks, throttle body, mass air flow, fuel lid actuator, catalytic converter (coverred till 100k by manufacturer), rear brakes last about 13-15k, door handles peeling, center armrest clip broke, cup holder, noise in left front, headlight bulbs burned out, front blinkers leak h2o, rear marker lens broke off, replaced underside engine covers, front bumper loose, electric fan motors, AC compressor, O2 sensor (primary one), keys recoded,ECM,alarm control module, is that it?
Oh yeah, how could I forget. Electric window regulators. These will be replaced under warranty (97 or newer VW all models) for 100k by manufacturer. This is second, third , etc. owner. This was put out by VW to all service advisors.
IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO PAID FOR THEIRS TO BE FIXED WITHIN THOSE YEARS, TELL THEM TO CALL VW TO GET THIER REFUND! AGAIN, ALL MODELS 97 OR NEWER! REGULATOR CLIPS BREAK. GERMAN ENGINEERING. :mad:
Sorry froggy if I ruined your sale, but other than that the vehicles are fine.

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Actually, we are having only one of those issues, the light on. Brakes were fine when we changed them, no perceived wear, filters were good and oil was new looking. Are these normal issues with the Beetles? I know a couple of owners that have had exactly zero problems as well.
Mine is the 2.0, and I will run some premium through it and clean out the mass air and throttle body. Vacuum hoses all look brand new.
This car has given us a couple of years of absolutely worry free service, and we are only selling it because Audrey wants a Caddy.
Thanks for the advice on what to keep an eye on though... I will ensure it all is checked for the next owner.
Hoss, would you recommend bringing it to VW, or is it a waste of time and money for services that are well within my scope of ability?

twistedpair
01-22-2003, 09:56 AM
So if I buy the Bug, do I get a Preferred Customer Discount on one of these..... :D wink
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats.jpg

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Check your PM.

The Bug
01-22-2003, 10:34 AM
well you havent had any problems with the car right?

HOSS
01-22-2003, 11:30 AM
Try mentioned for light. If it doesn`t go out, you have no choice but a dealer. They have the ONLY software to test vehicle. Hope its not mass air nor throttle body.
The Beetles are much better cars than the Jettas.
Run the premium, a little water will turn it on.
We did have someone come from CA and upon their arrival down here, the light came on. I guess even with so much smog ya`lls air quality is better than ours.

Jordy
01-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Just unhook the trouble light. Problem solved. :D :D :D

HOSS
01-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Actually, black electrical tape will solve evrything.
PM
Gotta love those bench racers! They never learn!

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 11:45 AM
The Bug:
well you havent had any problems with the car right? None. Car is cherry. I will post several pics of it in a couple of minutes. I need to get my freinds digi cam over here.
Hoss is painting a pretty dour picture of several vehicles he has had to work on, but this thing has been 100% reliable and it is in new condition.
Book is in the 12's, so this is priced to sell in my opinion. $10,500 is a steal.
Squirts up!

HOSS
01-22-2003, 11:59 AM
In all fainess to VW, all you see working in service is the bad. For every one car there are probably 100 that I never see. I can tell you that the 1.8T Beetle does haul ass.
From my perspective (having been a mechanic and a Service Writer) if a vehicle does not have problems in the beginning, then its not a lemon. And vice versa.
10.5 for a 2000 Beetle is a steal. Car (even though I`m not a VW fan) would bring more!
[ January 22, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

Lightning
01-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Froggystyle:
The Bug:
well you havent had any problems with the car right? I need to get my freinds digi cam over here. You can borrow it on Sunday, just remind me.

The Bug
01-22-2003, 01:58 PM
i cant wait to see some more pictures of the car.

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 02:38 PM
The Bug:
i cant wait to see some more pictures of the car. Ask for, and you shall receive!
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/vwcollage.jpg

The Bug
01-22-2003, 03:06 PM
thank you so much, the car looks really nice.

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 03:23 PM
You are welcome. Anything else you are interested in? I can go snap a pic for you.

waterndog
01-22-2003, 03:23 PM
HOSS:
Check to make sure that your gas cap is fully on! This will make the light come on as well. VW has what is called a secondary air injection system. This is always checking for vacuum leaks. Even in the tank! Also check to see if the vacuum hose is frayed on very front upper part of motor. For a valve. This is another major light starter. Run some premium in it to clean o2 sensor. Change air filter. Unless this is a diesel, clean glo plugs!
I charged people a minimum 1hr. diag. time. That was just to reset computer! Small vacuum leak, you`ll pay me 180.00 minimum. cry Mechanics loved me! :D
Sooner or later the public will catch on! idea Hoss this is too funny, these are all the problems we've been having with our passat.. I managed to fix the problem myself. Now I'm getting rid of it :D :D

RPrincez
01-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Looks like a well taken care of car.

spectras only
01-22-2003, 03:28 PM
Why don't you just disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour to clear the trouble code from the memory .It's sometimes a glitch in the computer.If the light doesn't return ,you saved yourself from dealing with the service guys wink .My 1990 cherokee needed a shot of neutrol in the crank position sensor connector every 12-14 months .The voltage dropped a few tenths and it would crank but no signal to the computer to trigger the coil.Chrysler scammed thousands of people replacing the electronic distributor to "fix" the problem :rolleyes: .Ford's Probe GT's had similar problems. Thank heaven I don't have a boat with a modern engine with a black box :D .

Mandelon
01-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Froggy, maybe you could get Audrey to lay across the hood... :D :D :D

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Hoss, any truth to the rumour (from VW) that cycling the ignition key 10 times will clear a code?
I think I am going to go disconnect the battery and see.

waterndog
01-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Froggystyle:
Hoss, any truth to the rumour (from VW) that cycling the ignition key 10 times will clear a code?
I think I am going to go disconnect the battery and see. I had a vac hose come off, the one at the EGR valve area. The hose was really frayed and just broke off at the fitting. After I replaced the vac hose I just disconected the battery for about 10min and haven't had a problem since.

Mandelon
01-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Froggy, maybe you could get Audrey to lay across the hood... :D :D :D

HOSS
01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
NO NO NO!
Do you have the coded keys with a chip? If so when you disconnect you may have to re-code the keys. Again a minimum of 1 hr diag. time and ALL keys must be present. If you disconnect battery, radio WILL have to be re-coded as well.
Turning key on and off 10 times will do nothing but cause excessive wear to the ignition switch. What is the first 3 of vin froggy. Let`s see were it was made. Brazil, Mexico.
What year Passat? Now the Passat which is VW`s finest vehicle were all made in Germany.

waterndog
01-22-2003, 04:27 PM
My passat is a 2000 I don't think I have the coded keys :confused: but when I disconected I didn't have any problems

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 04:52 PM
First six of vin are 3VWBC2

Boatcop
01-22-2003, 04:55 PM
That's not a Beetle.
THIS is a Beetle.
http://www.boatcop.com./69134.jpg
:D

Froggystyle
01-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Boatcop:
That's not a Beetle.
THIS is a Beetle.
:D No, that's a BUG! J/K Boatcop...

HOSS
01-22-2003, 05:19 PM
If first digit in vin is a 3======MEXICO
If first digit in vin is a 9======BRAZIL
Golfs are made in Brazil (most)
Passats are made in Germany
Jettas are all the left over shit from around the globe from Audi and VW plants and vendors,,,but they sell like crazy! Go figure.
Froggy, all I can say is that I`d rather have one from Brazil than Mexico.
[ January 22, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

spectras only
01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
[B]Originally posted by HOSS:
Froggy, all I can say is that I`d rather have one from Brazil than Mexico.[?B] .James ,I'm not so sure wink . Remember the Puma ? POS :p

Lightning
01-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Froggystyle:
Boatcop:
That's not a Beetle.
THIS is a Beetle.
:D No, that's a BUG! J/K Boatcop... No it's not, it's a piece of shit.....just effin' with ya

superdave013
01-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Is this a beetle or is this a babe??
I donno but I bet the combo package would cost ya a big chunk O coin! :D :D
Can I get it in "pink" please??????
http://perso.club-internet.fr/fvillaes/gb/gals/ember/2332BP012.JPG
[ January 22, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Windy
01-22-2003, 07:48 PM
Good luck finding her a new home Wes, and tell Audrey I miss her wink

Froggystyle
01-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Dave... this one is silver anyway. Babe is separate, and wears only body paint.

spectratoad
01-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Oh I see. You are just afraid to get paint on the paint. :D

totenhosen
01-23-2003, 02:50 PM
try posting at http://www.vwvortex.com
price maybe a tad high for people in the know.

Froggystyle
01-23-2003, 04:34 PM
It came out in the trader today... 10 calls, two appointments.
I should have asked more.

HOSS
01-23-2003, 04:38 PM
damn, I just pm`ed you too! I told you that you WILL get your money. 8 out of 10 calls will be female. 1 will be a guy looking for one for daughter, girlfriend, wife, mistress, and the last one will be a fag.
When its all said and done, a 2000 Beetle perfect will bring 12g easily! Un ****ing believable.

Froggystyle
01-23-2003, 05:03 PM
I swear you are clairvoyant. 8 chicks, one dad and a mo.
Guess who are coming to look at it?
The mo and a chick who just turned 24. Perfect. I don't know how old the mo is.

78Eliminator
01-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Froggystyle:
I swear you are clairvoyant. 8 chicks, one dad and a mo.
Guess who are coming to look at it?
The mo and a chick who just turned 24. Perfect. I don't know how old the mo is. Alright, what's a "mo"? Like hom"mo"?

Froggystyle
01-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Quick, aren't you. Yeah, as in Ho "mo"