PDA

View Full Version : Lost another shuttle?

Hal
02-01-2003, 06:43 AM
I hope not but it does'nt look good. Check the news frown
[ February 01, 2003, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Wet Dream
02-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Looking that way. This is not a good thing.

Wet Dream
02-01-2003, 06:56 AM
Fox news channel seems to have pretty good coverage and footage right now.

JetBoatRich
02-01-2003, 06:59 AM
Watching with you, does not look god for the 7 on board.

Wet Dream
02-01-2003, 07:04 AM
MSNBC actually has clearer footage.
[ February 01, 2003, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Wet Dream ]

126driver
02-01-2003, 07:15 AM
CNN is showing a series of still photos that shows what appears to be several different pieces streaking across the sky. Terrible.

Jungle Boy
02-01-2003, 07:18 AM
Very shitty news; my heart goes out the US and the families of the crews. frown

126driver
02-01-2003, 07:20 AM
Just watched the video, sorry to say the shuttle definitely broke up.

AZKC
02-01-2003, 07:22 AM
Gods speed to the crew :(
KC

BigBoyToys
02-01-2003, 08:01 AM
Damn! This ain't looking good. frown

Stupid Fast
02-01-2003, 08:40 AM
7 great people may have lost thier lives today. Prayers and hope to all families involved.

HOSS
02-01-2003, 08:47 AM
We`ll have to wait and see what happened. My guess would be a fatigue and attitude issue.
All our prayers to crew and loved ones.
Not to take away from severity of current event, but I was in basic training in `86 when the shuttle blew. Ft. Dix New Jersey, C-5-5, The ROCK.

LakesOnly
02-01-2003, 09:23 AM
This is horrifying and really hits home to my family. My entire immediate family has been employed by Lockheed and my brother actually is a materials engineer that worked on the tiles program for the shuttle program (in general).
Columbia is the first shuttle to fly and re-enter earth on it's own. Although it's the oldest, it still had many cycles left in its lifetime, with the proper maintenance.
I have heard some confidential speculation on possible reasons for burn-up/break-apart upon re-entry an it's rather upsetting. We can only hope there will be enough remains of the craft for a thorough investigation.
My heart goes out to the families directly affected by the incident.
LO
[ February 01, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

LakesOnly
02-01-2003, 09:28 AM
]
[ February 01, 2003, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Infomaniac
02-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Very Very sad. :(
It would have to be a loss of the proper re-entry attitude. I think they inspect the tiles from the ground.
They are insulting our intellegence about not touching the debris. Anything that survived that burn is not going to hurt you. Why don't they just say they need every little piece.
Don't smoke pot either. You will be a heroin addict the next day.
[ February 01, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Riverhound
02-01-2003, 09:43 AM
God speed. My prayers go out to those who lost loved ones.

RiverKitty
02-01-2003, 09:54 AM
My heart goes out to the friends & family of the 7 lost. May Gods grace be with them.
Their reporting they have already found body parts. :(
For some reason, I just feel like crying! What a sad day for America.
It's such a tragedy when things like this happen.

bordsmnj
02-01-2003, 09:58 AM
LakesOnly:
This is horrifying and really hits home to my family. My entire immediate family has been employed by Lockheed and my brother actually is a materials engineer that worked on the tiles program for the shuttle program (in general).
Columbia is the first shuttle to fly and re-enter earth on it's own. Although it's the oldest, it still had many cycles left in its lifetime, with the proper maintenance.
I have heard some confidential speculation on possible reasons for burn-up/break-apart upon re-entry an it's rather upsetting. We can only hope there will be enough remains of the craft for a thorough investigation.
My heart goes out to the families directly affected by the incident.
LO my condolences to the families of those involved.small world,though.My grnad father (J.C.Coykendall) had something to do with R&D of those tiles. that was a long time ago.i have to go check this out on the news now.

JustMVG
02-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Another sad day for our Space program, my heart and prayers go out to the families of the Crew.
I tokk these pics just a little bit ago. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/dsc_228.JPG

Badboat1
02-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Just seen this on the puter
A U.S. official also told Miklaszewski that a heat spike appeared on military satellite data around the time shuttle was re-entering — it is being examined to see if it correlates to the shuttle and it breaking up. The highly-sensitive infrared satellite, known as the DSP, originally was developed to detect the heat spike of Soviet ICBM launches. As ground controllers gained familiarity and confidence in its capabilities, it has been used to detect everything from oil fires to volcanic eruptions the the explosion of TWA 800 in 1996.
I heard a loud boom this morning when it was coming over.
Our prayers our out to the families
Badboat1

JustMVG
02-01-2003, 10:06 AM
One more of the Contrail from the Space Shuttle , Again all our prayers and condolences to families and all of those involved with the Shuttle program http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/dsc_226.JPG Mike Van Gompel and Family

DansBlown73Nordic
02-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Its a very Sad Day.... :(
I was also thinking the same thing.That stuff was glowing orange and still has fuel stuff on it.... eek!

Seadog
02-01-2003, 11:17 AM
It is being speculated that tiles either fell off of or hit the left wing on takeoff. It was coming in at too high of an altitude. Our country was built by those who needed to find new frontiers. These seven personified that spirit and will now forever reside in our collective hearts. frown

lakesmodified
02-01-2003, 11:34 AM
In memory of the lost souls of the Columbia, as well as their families:
"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of GOD"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

SMFRiverRat
02-01-2003, 11:43 AM
Gods Speed COLUMBIA.
Prayers to all the families.
"TO FLY WEST, IS A FINAL CHECK WE ALL MUST TAKE."

MJ19
02-01-2003, 11:51 AM
I feel for the families of the poeple that have given their lives for our advancement. I also feel for all those involved in the Space Program. This is a stressful and emotional time for everyone, especially those closely related to this event.
I also hope and pray that the combination of the "Challenger" and the "Columbia" do NOT stop the Space Program. I feel that those involved with the program knew of it's risks and were willing to move on.
I think of the new frontiers on a 'basic level'...at one time, it was 'moving west' and many people died during that process, however, many survived and we (particularly those that live in the west) benefit today from their courage. So without a Space Program exploring new frontiers we may never know what benefits lay ahead.
I feel that the American people shouldn't ever think of such adventures as 'day to day events' traveling into space was risky (and still is) but at one time the American people gave great support to those willing to take the risk and now the American people sit back and only focus on the negative events taking the postive ones for granit. The majority of those flights have been successful. I feel we should give great support to those still willing to take the risk.

twistedpair
02-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Seadog:
Our country was built by those who needed to find new frontiers. These seven personified that spirit and will now forever reside in our collective hearts. :( Well said SeaDog.

Miss Behavin
02-01-2003, 02:02 PM
I've been watching the news all morning (and crying, praying) It brings back all the feelings from the Challenger. My ex father in law lost his job back then. He had worked for Rockwell on the o rings that failed back then. I pray for all the families. This is a very sad day.

RiverKitty
02-01-2003, 05:09 PM
I stand in awe and yet not shocked that Iraq is "celebrating" that fact the shuttle went down.
I'm not much into politics, but Iraq resents the fact there was an Israeli (Ilan Ramon) on board the shuttle. Iraq says it was "God's Will"!
I'm really a "peaceful" person, but $hit like this makes me HOT!!! burningm
I also realize that not *all* the people of Iraq feel the same way….but for those who do; I hope they burn in hell!!!
devil
(Please forgive my anger.)

Rexone
02-01-2003, 05:26 PM
RiverKitty:
I stand in awe and yet not shocked that Iraq is "celebrating" that fact the shuttle went down.
I'm not much into politics, but Iraq resents the fact there was an Israeli (Ilan Ramon) on board the shuttle. Iraq says it was "God's Will"!
I also realize that not *all* the people of Iraq feel the same way….but for those who do; I hope they burn in hell!!!
devil
(Please forgive my anger.) ditto on that RK...
This is a very sad day. I remember the challenger like it was yesterday. The space program is the essence of what the USA is. The leading edge. The frontier. It's so sad when setbacks like this happen. My heart aches for all involved, the families, NASA, and all the folks that work so hard to make space travel and exploration a reality. It's risky business, we know that, they know that, but that doesn't make it any easier to take a loss like this.
It makes me think more of all the men and women who serve this country daily who aren't in the spotlight like our lost astronauts but who are definitely in harms way in and around the middle east and all over the world. I think of them daily and am very greatful that they are out there protecting the freedoms we all enjoy here at home. As well as the generations of servicemen and women who have come and gone and died throughout our history to keep this country safe. A loss like we experienced today with the Columbia really makes you stop and think about all the things normally taken for granted day to day. At least it does me. frown

Badboat1
02-01-2003, 05:31 PM
River Kitty,That Suxs that they are doing that.A human life no matter who it is,Is never a good thing.This is a tragic event for the USA and the famlies involved.
Badboat1

Seadog
02-01-2003, 05:36 PM
God's will is that those who advance us to a higher plane will receive a chance in heaven. Those who drag us back into a world of abuse and conflict shall forever reside in hell.

Froggystyle
02-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Well, I don't think I can match the deeply thoughtful philosophies exhibited by you all, so I will say that my thoughts are with those who died, their families who knew why they lived, and everyone who has ever lived their lives filled with risk so that others can live without it... frown

gstark
02-01-2003, 07:03 PM
The tragedy of Columbia hits home very hard to me.
The company I work for has stong connections within the NASA and spacelauch community. We designed and manufactured the liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen piping systems and vacuum jacketed manifolds for both ET (External Tank) and the Orbiter.
On any day, I can walk onto the shop floor and touch parts that will fly on any upcoming mission. So, things are pretty near to me.
Many of the manufacturing personnel in our SoCal facility fabricated, welded, tested and inspected this flight critical hardware. They put their skills and talents into this hardware.
Now it is gone. This same situation is being played out across this great country, in hundreds of shops and plants and I know that many thousands of caring people are touched more than these words can express.
I can say with heavy heart that this loss is one that will be extremely difficult to "get past" but we will persevere and go on with this program and others. There is a cost to everything, no one wants it to be in human life however. The heroes of this flight knew the risks of what they were doing and accepted these, knowing that what they were doing was extraordinary and that this would pave the way for even greater things.
As our president said, they didn't return to earth, but they returned home. We all pray for the wives, husbands, children and extended families of these heroes.

raff
02-01-2003, 07:31 PM
It was just about 6:30 am here in So Cal, I have to work early on Saturdays, the alarm went off, and we have it on a talk radio station, the first thing we heard was that mission control had lost contact with the shuttle, my wife and I JUMPED out of bed, with the absolute worse feeling in our stomachs, just knowing, turned on the TV, there it was, took us back to the Challanger all over again. Very very sad day indeed.
Our prayers will be with the families tonight, along with the rest of the United States of America.
Mark out

Moomawnster
02-01-2003, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RiverKitty:
devil
(Please forgive my anger.) [/QUOTE
Kitty I think you were a little too kind myself!, as you said not all Iraqi's are celebrating this but those who are have little time to do so before we give them something else to keep them busy.... .
.... I won't be celebrating when we start bombing the crap out of the barbarians who are doing this .... and I think thats the difference between us and "them" ...... It must be horrible to have a "GOD" who would "WILL" this .... I don't want them to burn in hell .... right here on earth will do!

PlayTime
02-01-2003, 10:19 PM
My heart goes out to the friends & family. Just makes you realize how short life can be and how precious it is.

RiverKitty
02-02-2003, 03:16 AM
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/sc1.jpg
In Remembrance Of Space Shuttle Columbia February 1, 2003 (http://www.bobbyhayden.com/shuttle_columbia.htm)

hot_diggity_dog
02-03-2003, 11:25 AM
This is a poem that was written by one of our employees friend and sent to our office this morning.
WHERE ANGELS FLY
Out next to heaven
beyond our skys,
fell seven angels
with Earthly ties.
At eighteen times
the speed of light,
they crossed the sky
falling from site.
Engulfed in smoke
and sonic booms,
the nations heart broke
as we watched their doom.
Hearts full of sorrow
eyes full of tears,
we realize
our biggest fears
Forever as heros
no longer in pain,
we will again take to the heavens
so they have not died in vain.
written by Bill Gerwig Jr 2/1/03
HDD :cool:

78Eliminator
02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Astronauts are true heroes. They are the only hope that we, as a species, might out last our own planet. Like the first sailors who took to the Atlantic in search of new land, they and our space program are invaluable to our own survival. It's in its infancy, and we have tons of work to do before we're able to begin intergalactic space exploration (we have about 3 billion years before the Sun burns earth to nothing). These people who have made the ultimate sacrifice are selfless and deserve all the respect and honor you would give to someone who saved your life.

Rexone
02-03-2003, 07:11 PM
RiverKitty:
http://www.bobbyhayden.com/sc1.jpg
In Remembrance Of Space Shuttle Columbia February 1, 2003 (http://www.bobbyhayden.com/shuttle_columbia.htm) Very nice tribute RK :)