PDA

View Full Version : GOOD CD PLAYER THAT WON'T SKIP

BENZEEN
03-14-2003, 10:20 AM
My new boat has an Alpine stereo/cd. It has more features that I know what to do with. However, it skips in the smallest chop. It is secured well, and sit in a perfect horizontal plain. Essex is looking into changing the deck. But I would like to know what brand has work well for you guys, so I might suggest that brand.
-Vik

rivercrazy
03-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Most head units are way more suseptable to skipping unless you its an MP3 unit. If you stay with just a head unit without a CD changer, you might consider an MP3 unit.
If you plan on a changer, I would recommend swapping your Alpine for a Sony head unit and purchasing a 10 disc Sony MP3/CD changer model number 757MX. It has 12 second antiskip memory. I have never got mine to skip no matter how rough the water is.
Another side benefit to the Sony is a wired marine remote is available for most head units. Adding a few of those would allow you to control the stereo for virtually any location in the boat

bakerman
03-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Ihave had good luck with my JVC model # KD-SH99 have had little skip with this one only skips on hard hits! a couple other people i know run differant JVC's and have had good luck. hope this help. :cool:

Waldo
03-14-2003, 10:55 AM
You can get the MP3/CD 10-disc Sony Changer at Etronics.com for about 150 bucks! Pretty damn cheap, it's what I plan on getting since my head unit is already a Sony.

Coach
03-14-2003, 11:05 AM
You have to get an MP3 player. MP3 is a data format that will not skip no matter how rough it gets. It has to read the whole data file before it plays. I have a pioneer hp7400 which is very good, but the additionn of a CD changer with MP3 capablity is the way to go.

XFactor
03-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Just get XM. It's much easier!!

BENZEEN
03-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Rivercrazy,
Thanks for the info. So, let me understand. The head unit would serve as the power unit with am/fm, and changer control. Now, does the mp3 read cd's and play them through the unit, or is there some special format that the mp3 reads?
Waldo, thanks for the info. I will check the website.
-Vik

ROZ
03-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Since you already have an Alpine headunit that has the ability to add a changer. Add the CHAS634(if the headunit is Ainet) Alpine 6 disc CD/MP3 changer.
[ March 14, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

rivercrazy
03-14-2003, 01:07 PM
BENZEEN:
Rivercrazy,
Thanks for the info. So, let me understand. The head unit would serve as the power unit with am/fm, and changer control. Now, does the mp3 read cd's and play them through the unit, or is there some special format that the mp3 reads?
Waldo, thanks for the info. I will check the website.
-Vik Yup. Power unit and changer control. MP3 is a different compressed format that a regular CD player cannot decode. You need a MP3 capable head unit or changer to play them. Any CD-R or CD-RE can have songs burnt on em in MP3 format. Many audio softward programs allow you to convert WAV CD file format into MP3 format. While the file does get compressed quite a bit and you loose a bit of bandwith, in a boat you really cannot hear the difference most of the time. AND it lets you burn about 100 songs on a 80 minute CD.

HammerDown
03-14-2003, 01:13 PM
What causes a regular home seldom used older hi-dollar 5/cd Carousel to sometimes skip, miss a beat, drop out?

rivercrazy
03-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Probably disc scratches? I have never used one but they sell disc machines that are supposed to remove the scratches. A buddy of mine has one and was able to restore many CD's with scratches and can now play em without any skipping or misreading. Somehow the scratches cause the laser to not read the data

HammerDown
03-14-2003, 01:43 PM
But what if theres no visible scratches on the disc...I'm pretty carefull (anal)with my stuff. Could it be a dust issue or something like that?

rivercrazy
03-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Hmmmm. I have no clue then. Maybe the laser is out of alignment? That can happen over time on some disc players. But...Since its a home unit, that's unlikely

HammerDown
03-14-2003, 01:54 PM
rivercrazy:
Hmmmm. I have no clue then. Maybe the laser is out of alignment? That can happen over time on some disc players. But...Since its a home unit, that's unlikely Thanks for the replys...guess I'll take it to a shop and get bent over...shame it was a hi $$$ unit that wasent used very much.

TahitiSteve
03-14-2003, 02:54 PM
I've had my home players get out of alignment before and also have torn them apart and found carpet fuzz wrapped around the spindle making them skip.
Those of you with cd/mp3 players in low profile boats have you had problems with them breaking due to rough waters?

77charger
03-14-2003, 03:52 PM
i had the same prob with a new sony head unit (630) could also hit the area around the player and make it skip so i added a changer i wanted the sony 757 because of the anti skip deal but my neighbor had a sony t67 for 50 bucks new!! 6 disc he said with the suspension in most new changers i shouldnt have a prob well i tried it last weekend out and had rough water too and no skipping :) i was cruisng slow speed also about 20 mph but rough!

airtrapper
03-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Try the Sony MP70 (it plays mp3 cds and reg cds), XM compatible, aux-input for you hard drive based mp3 player, front/rear/sub outputs,you can also add a changer, and Sony makes waterproof hardwired remote controls that you can mount on the back of your boat.
Paul

ROZ
03-14-2003, 09:02 PM
AirTraper, The only company that makes waterproof stereo accessories is Clarion. All the rest are water resistant. Another headunit that will work is the CDXCA810. It's not MP3, but it does have the rest of the features everyone is after....If you go Sony....
RD, Yes, you can add the changer to your headunit to play MP3's.
Ellusive ROZ out!
[ March 14, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Mandelon
03-14-2003, 09:07 PM
HammerDown:
But what if theres no visible scratches on the disc...I'm pretty carefull (anal)with my stuff. Could it be a dust issue or something like that? I occasionally get that problem at home too. I take the cover off my home cd player and clean the read head. Its the laser eye itself, that seems to get dust on it sometimes.

HammerDown
03-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Mandelon:
HammerDown:
But what if theres no visible scratches on the disc...I'm pretty carefull (anal)with my stuff. Could it be a dust issue or something like that? I occasionally get that problem at home too. I take the cover off my home cd player and clean the read head. Its the laser eye itself, that seems to get dust on it sometimes. Thanks for the tips...guess I'll be looking into it tomorrow.

Wet Dream
03-14-2003, 09:45 PM
You would be surprised at how well a walkman type CD player with a 40 second skip delay works. I know its not the thing you are looking for, but my little player has over 400,000 miles bouncing on the dash of an 18 wheeler and keeps on playing the tunes.

rvrhlic
03-15-2003, 01:58 AM
RiverDave:
ROZ:
Since you already have an Alpine headunit that has the ability to add a changer. Add the CHAS634(if the headunit is Ainet) Alpine 6 disc CD/MP3 changer. Hey Roz, if I bought that Sony 10 Disc Changer / MP3 player and put it in place of my old 10 disc changer would I have to get a new head unit to control it? Or will my Head Unit I have now control it and play MP3's as well?
RD Your head unit will have to be an explod unit for the any of the explod MP3 changers top work.

mmered8299
03-15-2003, 08:34 AM
I have a Kenwood CD changer that was mounted vertical and have no problems of skipppppping.

BENZEEN
03-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the input. It sounds as though most in-dash cd players will skip, and the changers are the way to go.
-vik