PDA

View Full Version : no more mtbe

boatnam2
01-07-2003, 10:02 PM
well i shipped our very first shipment of non mtbe gasoline tonite at work.hopefully our water will be cleaner.

77charger
01-07-2003, 10:05 PM
for what oil company?I have seen that 76 stations dont use it anymore

boatnam2
01-07-2003, 10:19 PM
76 was running non mtbe gas but it was not blended in california.i work for bp-arco.

shreddz
01-07-2003, 10:26 PM
What did you replace the mtbe with, ethanol? And if so, where did the ethanol come from??
-chris

boatnam2
01-07-2003, 10:31 PM
im not sure were they are getting there ethanol.we are blending what they call carbob and ship it with no ethanol.the terminal mixes the ethanol into the gas as it goes into the truck.

RiverToysJas
01-07-2003, 10:43 PM
I've actually on ly purchased 76 in all of my vehicles since they stopped putting it in (sorry Jim). Maybe now I can start using other brands.
RTJas :D

boatnam2
01-07-2003, 10:46 PM
thats ok rtj,we cant make enough gas to keep up with our demand.

RiverToysJas
01-07-2003, 11:02 PM
This is somewhat off of the subject but when I lived in Fullerton, I used only Chevron, because it was on my way to the frwy and on the right side of the street. I spend close to three hundred bucks a month there between my two cars.
Then one day I tried to drop off my used oil there (they had service bays), the manager told me it would cost $6 to drop my 5 gallons of oil. I took my oil to Pep Boys and never bought gas there again.
Just a little customer service story for you all.
RTJas :D
[ January 07, 2003, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

Uplink
01-08-2003, 02:35 AM
Glad MTBE is going away. Had '97 Chevy Tahoe. It had a history of getting clogged fuel injectors. Had many, many injectors replaced over the years, all work paid for by Chevy. They blamed it on Californina's fuel. Well finally the mileage got up there past the factory's emmissions warantee (I think about 50k miles).
Like Old Faithful, that check engine light came on, the engine started running rough, and once again it was time for more injectors to get replaced. This time they wanted ME to pay for it.
I spent all day fighing on the phone with all sorts of Chevy people, and couldn't get anywhere.
I finally gave up by the end of the day, and at the last second my dealer came though, and got Chevy to pay for it.
A couple of months later Chevy sent a letter admitting their fuel injectors could not handle the MTBE and extended all injector warantees to 100k miles.
A whole day on the phone fighting for nothing, and they almost got me for several hundred dollars. Thats my MTBE story.
<Mark>
burningm

Laveyman
01-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Boatnam,
Do any other companies buy their gasoline from the Arco refineries? (Thrifty, Costco...)

HavasuDreamin'
01-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Great news! You think the tree huggers will leave us alone now???? burningm

THOR
01-08-2003, 06:48 AM
RiverToysJas:
I've actually on ly purchased 76 in all of my vehicles since they stopped putting it in (sorry Jim). Maybe now I can start using other brands.
RTJas :D That makes two of us.....

HCS
01-08-2003, 07:47 AM
California gas is suppose to go up to $2.00 a gallon on average do to fuel additives.
It cost me 50 bucks to fill my tank yesterday. cry
And it's going to get worse untill we take Saddam's oil. :rolleyes:

miller19j
01-08-2003, 08:30 AM
boatnam2:
76 was running non mtbe gas but it was not blended in california.i work for bp-arco. Don’t let the BP folks see that you are still using that Arco name! :D What you don’t like the name Beyond Petroleum? wink

boatnam2
01-08-2003, 11:21 AM
laveyman man its so funny you hear people talk about how there car runs better with this gas or with that gas just by a little additive.we sell to alot of places including other refineries ie;shell texaco.alot of the gas is bought on the market and isnt even made in the usa.

Laveyman
01-09-2003, 05:14 AM
That's what I've heard, but never confirmed it. I've always heard that if you get a bad tank of gas, it has more to do with the specific station and their tanks, rather than it being Arco, Thrifty, Chevron...
But then, I've also heard of those "Rolling Cocktails" that come out out the refineries. Is that really true?

Seadog
01-09-2003, 06:25 AM
There are several factors involved, but it is usually a station problem. I always avoid old, poorly maintained stations since they will have the most problems. Some brands will have special mixes of additives, but in most cases they do not affect the average user pro or con. You also can get problems if the tanker fills during a switchover or there is a short production problem, but that is rare for most refineries. BTW $1.279/gal regular. :)