PDA

View Full Version : I'm having computer issues again ... help?

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking that if my mouse pointer disappears from my screen for two and three seconds at a time and then reappears not where I left it ... that's probably not a good thing? :confused:
Any ideas? My AVG virus program is up to date. I'm running Windows XP on an 1800+ AMD Athlon. My Windows stuff is all updated. The worm didn't get me and I am protected against it. I'm behind a Zone Alarm firewall. I'm hoping this is a simple thing and not hardware related. No burning odors so hopefully this indicates in favor of "it's not a short". I've tried adjusting the mouse settings and that did not help at all ... pointer is still pulling the disappear/reappear elsewhere act. I'm not really amused by this. burningm
galvanic action

Boozer
09-05-2003, 02:39 PM
How much RAM?

topless
09-05-2003, 02:40 PM
That happened to me once. It was a bad mouse.

Boozer
09-05-2003, 02:40 PM
I'll bet it's an optical mouse.

AZKC
09-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Have you cleared your temporary internet files lately. And then restart sounds like a memory problem.
KC

topless
09-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Mine was optical.

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Boozer- 256 MB RAM
Ali- Was it expensive to replace? (Over or under $50?) Did you have to get a different driver as well as a new mouse?
This is not fun.
Edit: It's not an optical mouse. I will try the removal of temp internet files. Thanks.
air intake ports
[ September 05, 2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: FMluvswaterbabe ]

riverliver
09-05-2003, 02:52 PM
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/isroot/PestControl/SiteImages/ratsnap3.jpg
This should fix it.....

Boozer
09-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Resinstall the drivers.

topless
09-05-2003, 03:00 PM
FMluvswaterbabe:
Boozer- 256 MB RAM
Ali- Was it expensive to replace? (Over or under $50?) Did you have to get a different driver as well as a new mouse?
This is not fun.
Edit: It's not an optical mouse. I will try the removal of temp internet files. Thanks.
air intake ports My optical mouse was I think $20.

TrailerparkTJ
09-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Probably just your mouse pad. If you use a light colored reflective mouse pad you will have problems. It's best to use a dark colored non-reflective pad. If that doesn't work you may have a bad laser in your mouse. - TJ

TrailerparkTJ
09-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Probably just your mouse pad. If you use a light colored reflective mouse pad you will have problems. It's best to use a dark colored non-reflective pad. If that doesn't work you may have a bad laser in your mouse. - TJ

572Daytona
09-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Possibly a video driver problem, you can test this by turning off some of the video acceleration features and see if the problem disappears. To do this:
Click on Start then Control Panel
Double Click on Display Icon
Choose the Settings Tab
Click the Advanced Button
Choose the Troubleshoot Tab
You should then see a Hardware Acceleration Slider
Slide it one notch left
Hit Apply then Ok
Test it out, if still not fixed you can try moving the slider more to the left to disable more acceleration features. If this does fix the problem, you most likely need new video drivers. Let me know and I can walk you through how to update those.

VillainDave
09-05-2003, 04:20 PM
572Daytona:
Possibly a video driver problem, you can test this by turning off some of the video acceleration features and see if the problem disappears. To do this:
Choose the Settings Tab
Slide it one notch left
Hit Apply then Ok
Test it out, if still not fixed you can try moving the slider more to the left to disable more acceleration features. If this does fix the problem, you most likely need new video drivers. Let me know and I can walk you through how to update those. That's what I was thinking!

Tom Brown
09-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Have you tried cleaning the monitor?

topgun
09-05-2003, 04:53 PM
Good stuff said by all,
Also, if you have an older rollerball mouse, Turn it upsidedown and remove the ball and clean the rollers. If you have cats or dogs their hair and or dirt can get on the internal rollers and mess things up. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago and this was the problem, animal hair on the rollers.
Hope this helps,
John H.
I love cats, lets exchange recipes

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 04:57 PM
572Daytona:
Choose the Settings Tab
Slide it one notch left
Hit Apply then Ok
Test it out, if still not fixed you can try moving the slider more to the left to disable more acceleration features. If this does fix the problem, you most likely need new video drivers. Let me know and I can walk you through how to update those. Slid it all the way to None and the problem persists. At one point I thought it had worked but then it pulled the same stunt while I was in the middle of composing this post. :(
I haven't tried to reinstall the drivers because I'm worried I'll **** it up. I'm trying to do a disk clean-up. I have done manual removal of temp internet files before but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it right now ... I need a hint please. Kind of embarassed to ask; gonna have a hand print on my forehead when I'm told I'm sure of it. :o Thanks for all your suggestions everybody- I do appreciate the time you each took to try to help me.
tilt 'n' trim

Hal
09-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Go to the control panel, click on internet options then click on delete temp internet files.

GlastronGuy
09-05-2003, 05:12 PM
In IE:
Click Tools - Internet Options....

sidewound
09-05-2003, 05:19 PM
I put an icon up for internet options. Made it lots easier to get to. NO SEARCHIE! Do it all the time.
Peace Man :cool:
CESAR

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks Hal and Glastron Guy ... yep I did know that sheesh. :rolleyes: :o
Okay so I get to the part where it has the Delete files button but I'm cautious I wanna know what I'm deleting. I click settings and see 3 buttons move folder, View files, and view objects. In objects there were two damaged things so I deleted them. Then I clicked on view files and got a nifty lil red flashlight searching for temp internet file folder ... I don't remember this part from previously ... I have the sinkingest feeling I did something very wrong. :o :( The disk cleanup has not progressed in over an hour but task manager claims it's running ... uh-huh sure it is. I feel like somebody has stolen a bunch of my IQ points today. :( All I wanted was for my mouse pointer to behave as it should. It's still not.
bearing races

572Daytona
09-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Ok, a couple of more things you can try:
In the control panel double click on Mouse
Click on the Pointers Tab
Where is says Scheme, change to Windows Default (if not already set to it)
Under Pointer Options Tab
Unclick Enhance Pointer Precision
Unclick Hide Pointer While Typing

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 06:16 PM
572Daytona:
Ok, a couple of more things you can try:
In the control panel double click on Mouse
Click on the Pointers Tab
Where is says Scheme, change to Windows Default (if not already set to it)
Under Pointer Options Tab
Unclick Enhance Pointer Precision
Unclick Hide Pointer While Typing Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the mouse problem is still happening.
metal filings

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 07:35 PM
I have resorted to system restore, undo restore, system restore again to an even earlier point and the mouse is still malfunctioning. Before I tried system restore the mouse had become completely unresponsive and I was navigating the net and my computer using only the keyboard ... oh what fun! not. :rolleyes: :mad:
Whatever. I can navigate using the keyboard- still less frustrating than trying to use the mouse.
Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone again for trying to help. If I ever figure out what has caused this and what the solution is I'll post about it. :)
grease fittings

novaguy
09-05-2003, 07:47 PM
riverliver:
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/isroot/PestControl/SiteImages/ratsnap3.jpg
This should fix it..... LMAO!!! :D :D :D

mickeyfinn
09-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Most of the things people have posted would not cause what you are seeing. The mouse itself or the com port it is connected to would be the most suspect. Have you added anything to the computer recently? Windows likes to allow things to share IRQ's and doesn't do it very well. You might try going into the bios setup and telling it you have a non plug and play OS. This will allow the bios to control irq's and will eliminate some of the sharing. Also some times the com port is sharing with the modem. Does it happen when you are off-line or just when you are on-line? I would try testing off-line then the bios thing. If that doesn't work buy a new mouse. Get one with a serial adapter, if it does the same thing when you plug in to the PS2 port try using the adapter and connecting serial.

TahitiSteve
09-05-2003, 07:55 PM
You might also try turning off Zone Alarm (temporarily) and see if that helps your problem. I've had it cause some odd issues in the past.

sorry dog
09-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Have you tried cleaning the monitor? The voice of experience.
Probably has handi-wipes next to his monitor.

FMluvswater
09-05-2003, 08:19 PM
mickeyfinn:
Most of the things people have posted would not cause what you are seeing. The mouse itself or the com port it is connected to would be the most suspect. Have you added anything to the computer recently? Windows likes to allow things to share IRQ's and doesn't do it very well. You might try going into the bios setup and telling it you have a non plug and play OS. This will allow the bios to control irq's and will eliminate some of the sharing. Also some times the com port is sharing with the modem. Does it happen when you are off-line or just when you are on-line? I would try testing off-line then the bios thing. If that doesn't work buy a new mouse. Get one with a serial adapter, if it does the same thing when you plug in to the PS2 port try using the adapter and connecting serial. I'll ask my ex to try that and/or the driver re-installation, for me tomorrow. I'd really be upset if I tried to do any of that and made things worse cuz I don't know what I'm doing.
The mouse trouble does happen even off-line. I did have Zone Alarm shut off completely and still the mouse was malfunctioning. I'm liking riverliver's solution more and more all the time lol!
turn over

FMluvswater
09-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Hey does anyone know how to minimise/switch between Windows, or close unwanted Windows (such as pop-up ads) using only keyboard commands? Frames are giving me grief too. I found a keyboard command help file in my Outlook Express but I couldn't select the text half of the frame to scroll down and read the file. Also, if I've got any Windows open I can't figure out how to access my Start menu on my desktop?
The mouse is completely unresponsive now. My ex won't be here to pick up Jacob for another 7 hours or so. When he does get here I'll have him read this thread and hopefully he can either tell me what is wrong with my mouse and what needs to be done to fix it or he can actually fix the malfunction.
In the meantime any extra tips on how to navigate using only my keyboard would really be appreciated. :) Thanks.
back fill

Boozer
09-06-2003, 07:31 AM
alt+tab will allow you to tab through your open windows.

FMluvswater
09-06-2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks Boozer. :)
Here's the keyboard shortcuts I know now:
Alt+Tab = switching between Windows
(How do I get back to my desktop, though?)
Shift+Tab = navigate in reverse among clickable spots on a page
Tab = navigate forward among clickable spots on a page
Enter to choose the selected clickable spot
Alt to select menu at top of browser Window then F, E, V, a, T, or H to get the drop down menus
Arrow keys to make selections within a menu
Alt+left pointed arrow= back
F5= refresh
Ctrl+c=copy
Ctrl+v=paste
(How can I highlight text, though?)
How can I access the _ boxed /cascade X in the top right corner of any given Window?
Oh bloody hell ... I'm out of boating related terms after this post. I'll go mine some articles for another handful of terms. This could take a few using only my keyboard. :)
casting

Boozer
09-06-2003, 08:07 AM
To access the start menu hit the window key its between ctrl and alt key. To get back to the desktop I am not to sure. To highlight text do CTRL A but it highlights ALL the text.

bigq
09-06-2003, 12:08 PM
More than likely it is hardware related if you have not added anything, software or hardware wise. XP handles IRQ sharing, plug N' play quite well so that should not be a problem. Maybe if you have a friend you can borrow a mouse to make sure that is what it is. As long as you havn't noticed any "pausing" in the systems when you are using the keyboard I would say you need a new mouse.
Of course if you are drinking when this happens just add more beer at the problem will go away. :D

572Daytona
09-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Alt-F4 will close a window

FMluvswater
09-06-2003, 01:05 PM
bigq:
More than likely it is hardware related if you have not added anything, software or hardware wise. XP handles IRQ sharing, plug N' play quite well so that should not be a problem. Maybe if you have a friend you can borrow a mouse to make sure that is what it is. As long as you havn't noticed any "pausing" in the systems when you are using the keyboard I would say you need a new mouse.
Of course if you are drinking when this happens just add more beer at the problem will go away. :D Well, I spoke to my ex a while ago and told him what's doin' with the mouse dealio. He is gonna bring me a spare mouse that works but not great- still better than a non-responsive one IMO. LOL!
You are likely right that I need a new mouse the keyboard and the internet are all working just fine no undue pausing of programs. It's possible my current mouse is still under warranty and I can get it either serviced or replaced. I've only had it since March of this year.
LOL @ beer being the solution! :D I don't drink beer but right about now I could use a double shot of whiskey straight up ... keyboard navigation is frustrating. :)
Edit: Thanks 572Daytona! :D Pop-ups drive me batty. :)
low angle heel
[ September 06, 2003, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: FMluvswaterbabe ]

phebus
09-06-2003, 01:12 PM
If you are going to replace it, replace it with an optical mouse. The rollerball type are always causing problems. The prices have come way down, and they are really cheap.

Boozer
09-06-2003, 01:26 PM
I don't know about Canadian prices but an optical mouse can be had here for $12 or so.

FMluvswater
09-06-2003, 04:13 PM
I'll look into getting an optical mouse at some point, in the meantime the loaner mouse my ex is letting me use feels like a luxury! :D It doesn't work great but it beats the hell out of tabbing all over the place! :D :D :D
Feels good to be able to click again! LOL! Thanks again everybody for all your helpful suggestions! :D You all are the best! :) Feelin' happy and sappy uh-oh! wink :D
restoring moment

topless
09-06-2003, 05:21 PM
You went through alot of trouble for a $12 mouse. When mine did that, I bought a new one and it did the same thing so I too thought it was either the mouse port or the computer. Turned out I bought a second bad mouse!!!! Oh well, live and learn.