PDA

View Full Version : Going to paint my trailer

marty722
03-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I have a couple of questions. First of all What kind of primer and paint should I use on my boat trailer? I won't be going into salt just fresh water. How much primer and paint will be needed on a 19ft boat? I guess the trailer is 22feet? My neighbor and I are going to do it as he has a compressor. Thanks for the info.

Lavey Huffer
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I have a couple of questions. First of all What kind of primer and paint should I use on my boat trailer? I won't be going into salt just fresh water. How much primer and paint will be needed on a 19ft boat? I guess the trailer is 22feet? My neighbor and I are going to do it as he has a compressor. Thanks for the info.
Best bet would be powder coat......but you have to take ur boat off the trailer and find a place that can do it ...not to mention all the other stuff you would have to remove.....
Depending on the condition of the trailer you may be able to use wax and grease remover or BON AMI powder detergent with grey scotch-brite then spray with non sanding primer,then paint.
If there are multiple blemishes you may want to "feather" them out and prime with a good catalyzed primer surfacer...finish sand with 400 grit wet/dry sand paper.
As far as paint there are alot of choices there is base coat /clearcoat...which I would reccomend beacuse it is easier to work with and less sensitive to contamination, such as water (from the air line) or fingerprints, etc..
Single stage paint is very sensitive and take alot longer to to fix your mistakes and is more suitable to a spraybooth environment.
As far as the clearcoat I would use a fast clearcoat activator because you dont have a very broad flat surface to paint.Also assuming it would be done outside or in a garage.

chevypoweredracer
04-22-2006, 10:19 PM
it is hard finding a powdercoater to do that big of a boat trailer, i am not saying that is a bad way to go. My buddy had his sprayed with truck bedliner, it looks good. i am going to do that to mine.

redneckcharlie
04-26-2006, 01:29 PM
after you have prepped the whole trailer, usually finish sanded with 400 grit wet, or 320 dry da. also assuming all areas that have any type of body filler have been previously primed and sanded. use some form of catalyzed primer sealer. i prefer basf products such as diamont or glasurit, but they are kind of pricey. omni by ppg is a good product for a reasonable price. it has a real good uv hold out, as well. thats what i use in my shop on most of the trailers we do. there are quite a few companies that make good products these days. you should be able to seal the trailer easily with a quart(non mixed), usually makes about a quart and three quarters, sprayable material. depending on your talent at spraying, single stage is most likely the best way to go. eurathane is a real good choice. very durable, good color holdout, and will usually cover in two coats, and the third is typically where the gloss comes in. base clear is a good product, but most likely for your situation, will cost you quite abit more. depending on where your spraying you do not want the material to flash to quickly. if its outside, a medium reducer will do fine, if the outside ambient temperature is around seventy five to eighty. you can probably color the whole trialer with two quarts(non mixed), should make almost a gallon of sprayable material. make sure your compressor can keep up with the gun your using. try to use a gun that the tip is atleast a 1.5 or 1.6, you don't want your starting point to be dry by the time you start your successive coats. if your painting outside in the sun, the material is going to flash much quicker than if you were in the shade. if you do paint outside, try to do it in the shade. good luck.
ps. don't be cheap, by a good respirator. modern paints are very nasty to breath in.

RitcheyRch
05-03-2006, 04:17 AM
I have seen several trailers that have been coated with Line-X. They looked good but would be afraid of that stuff fading over time.

chevypoweredracer
05-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I have seen several trailers that have been coated with Line-X. They looked good but would be afraid of that stuff fading over time.
i didnt think it fades, my truck still looks good. it was done in 2002

RitcheyRch
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
I have seen a few that have faded over time. I had my truck done last year and had them use the new product they offer where they paint over the top of the Line-X coating with some type of coating. They claim the Line-X will not fade now.
i didnt think it fades, my truck still looks good. it was done in 2002

T-56
05-21-2006, 03:42 AM
Not to highjack the subject, but what have you guys been paying to have your trailers coated w/ the bedliner? I've only gotten 1 quote @ $1200. Sounds pretty steep to me. I was figuring around $500 or so...

rerfert
05-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Something like this if you are just looking to freshen it up or change the color?
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004f_011.sized.jpg
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_006f_008.sized.jpg
It was painted with Generic industrial paint (Industrial White with some Mis-Matched metallic blue and left over metallic silver from another project)Ended up with a little over a gallon of light sky blue and used every bit of it.....Thinned with Generic paint thinner(from Lowe's)and sprayed with a $50 gun from Wal-Mart.

Tom Brown
05-22-2006, 09:58 AM
My trailer was looking pretty rough so I took it to a guy who paints truck tanks. Apparently, regulations force some of those guys to repaint their tanks if there's even a hint of rust so they have to do it every year or two.
I didn't want to deal with the sandblast mess and was kind of sick of doing project work after two complete deck off hull boat restoration.
... so I took it to this tank painter. He had no problem getting it into his shop since my trailer was smaller than probably the smallest truck he painted. He blasted it, primed it, and painted it for $300 CDN. He had the trailer for three days.
A gallon of Imron would cost me $200 and another $75 for the activator.
I let him paint it with the same primer and white he uses on his tanks, since that's what he was painting pretty much all of the tanks he was painting. I don't have a picture handy but it looks real good. It's just a generic white trailer now and that's fine with me.

Tom Brown
05-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Oh yes...
If you blast your trailer, rebuild the bearings after it's finished. Media can sneak past the seals and ruin the bearings. ... so it's better to do it after the work is done.

chevypoweredracer
05-24-2006, 05:45 PM
400 dollars to get it done with linex that is what my stepdad just paid. they sprayed everything, backing plates and all. he took out all the lights.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-25-2006, 09:54 AM
I just did a trailer resto on my current boat. My good friend is a painter and he had me knock down the road rash with 150. Once that was done, I hit the whole trailer with 320. On the ares that were hard to see or sand I just hit them with red scotch brite. My trailer came out bitchin! Its going back tomorrow for the flames:D I will post pics when I get it back on monday. I have detailed pics of the step by step process;)

RitcheyRch
06-01-2006, 05:08 AM
Not a bad price and will not have to worry about rust or rock chips.
400 dollars to get it done with linex that is what my stepdad just paid. they sprayed everything, backing plates and all. he took out all the lights.

jimslade
06-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Sandblast (fine sand) prime (epoxy) Paint two part urethane. Good for 20 years. THE PRIMER QUALITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PAINT!

flat broke
06-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Do you have any pics? What size trailer and where did he have it done?
Chris

Dan Lorenze
06-02-2006, 07:14 AM
I too would like to see some pics of a Linex'd trailer...

T-56
08-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Bump for the "rubber trailer" pics...

HM
09-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Where did he get it done?

BILLY.B
09-02-2006, 06:17 PM
My trailer was looking pretty rough so I took it to a guy who paints truck tanks. Apparently, regulations force some of those guys to repaint their tanks if there's even a hint of rust so they have to do it every year or two.
I didn't want to deal with the sandblast mess and was kind of sick of doing project work after two complete deck off hull boat restoration.
... so I took it to this tank painter. He had no problem getting it into his shop since my trailer was smaller than probably the smallest truck he painted. He blasted it, primed it, and painted it for $300 CDN. He had the trailer for three days.
A gallon of Imron would cost me $200 and another $75 for the activator.
I let him paint it with the same primer and white he uses on his tanks, since that's what he was painting pretty much all of the tanks he was painting. I don't have a picture handy but it looks real good. It's just a generic white trailer now and that's fine with me.My thoughts exactly Tom. Trailers are a pain in the ASS. Much easier to take it to "One-a-Day" or "Macco" if your looking for a normal job and not something custom. Cost are around $300 - $400 bucks. No mess to clean up and no detail needed for the neighbors cars that have overspray all over them. Not to mention you'll probably get a much cleaner job.

v-drive
10-03-2006, 06:12 AM
My thoughts exactly Tom. Trailers are a pain in the ASS. Much easier to take it to "One-a-Day" or "Macco" if your looking for a normal job and not something custom. Cost are around $300 - $400 bucks. No mess to clean up and no detail needed for the neighbors cars that have overspray all over them. Not to mention you'll probably get a much cleaner job.
I used old Earl and they did a great job. 3 bills and 24 hours you can't beat that....v-drive

truksnboats
10-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Anyone have a good hook up on getting my trailer painted or spray on bed liner? Called line x they want 3k to do it. The boat is off the trailer and ready to go.

kingcole80
10-09-2006, 04:28 AM
i cant post the pic but i used nason fulthane and a good sealer over the body work, if your willing to put the time in it cost me about 300.00 for materials and the trailer looks almost better than the boat and no clear is needed.

bocco
10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm going to give my trailer the once over this winter. Thinking of going the Line-X route if I can get a good price.
What about the springs and moving parts? Should they be coated also? Or just acoat of black paint? I plan to replace all of the shackle bolts. Should I do that first?