HBjet
01-27-2003, 04:35 PM
Yes, or No?

miller19j
01-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Maybe :D

boatnam2
01-27-2003, 04:38 PM
well since thats how missb pays the bills,i say yes.j/k.if your talking about a vehicle i say yes how could you afford not to buy one.

HCS
01-27-2003, 04:50 PM
No don't bother.

JIMS
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
Be careful of extended warranties better known as extended service contracts. There many different companies offering them some good some not so good.Make sure the the service contract you are purchasing is thru the manufacture to many after market companies can offer them and when they fold your holding the bag also find out if it is transferable to another person in case you sell your boat. You might also ask if you can terminate and get a refund in case you boat gets totaled or stolen.Most importantly read the covered items,find out what is nessesary in order to make a claim.Many people assume the the service contracts cover everything and many are surprised that it will cover only major componets.don't be rushed into signing anything until you read it !! my 02

ROZ
01-27-2003, 05:14 PM
Extended warranty on what, house, boat, car, or electronics?

MAXIMUS
01-27-2003, 05:20 PM
No... just adds to original costs... & read the fine print!! wink

NorCal Gameshow
01-27-2003, 05:38 PM
some say will replace with like parts i.e. broken trans.gets replaced with used trans...

HCS
01-27-2003, 05:45 PM
Working for a dealership, most of the people that buy extened warranties are suckered into them. In most cases you don't need it. There good for older people that like the extra insurance.

HBjet
01-27-2003, 05:45 PM
ROZ:
Extended warranty on what, house, boat, car, or electronics? Just in general.

HOSS
01-27-2003, 05:49 PM
If its a VW,,,,,buy one. everything else don`t waste the cash. Check your insurance co. It would be best to pay them. Most extended warranties are bogus. As stated, read the fine print. Or take it from someone who has worked for a few dealerships, rip off.

NEW 2 RIVER
01-27-2003, 07:07 PM
I am the general sales manager at a Honda dealer and must say when it comes to a car if you can get a extended warranty backed by the manufacturer for less than 1200 bucks you cant go wrong.one bad trans or one a/c replacement pays for it.beside most makers are further reinforcing the issue by not giving a rental car to you during the 3 year/36000 mile warranty unless you buy the extended warranty. :)

HOSS
01-27-2003, 07:23 PM
new2river, you must also be new to the game or you think you are on the job right now.
You are in sales and there`s nothing more that pisses off a service advisor than a salesman promising service that hi/her ass has no control over. manufacturer`s almost NEVER give out rentals, yet its up to the disgretion of the indepedent dealer. They (manufacturer) gives rather an allowance if you will to the dealer.
Extended warranties have nothing to do with it. As they are almost always from an independent agency. Like MasterGuard/ Fidelity. that`s especially where the advisor is best for the customer if he knows the inspector and likes the customer.
Extended warranties help if you got a lemon. But most of all its a gamble. If you get a vehicle that has a butt load of problems, get rid of it while its still in warranty!
Sales manager giving advice on service. That`s a joke, especially on this website. Maybe you should post this in gearheads! HA!
I bet you lost money on the bowl.

Charley
01-27-2003, 07:35 PM
ouch

NEW 2 RIVER
01-27-2003, 07:52 PM
posted by hoss
new2river, you must also be new to the game or you think you are on the job right now.
You are in sales and there`s nothing more that pisses off a service advisor than a salesman promising service that hi/her ass has no control over. manufacturer`s almost NEVER give out rentals, yet its up to the disgretion of the indepedent dealer. They (manufacturer) gives rather an allowance if you will to the dealer.
Extended warranties have nothing to do with it. As they are almost always from an independent agency. Like MasterGuard/ Fidelity. that`s especially where the advisor is best for the customer if he knows the inspector and likes the customer.
Extended warranties help if you got a lemon. But most of all its a gamble. If you get a vehicle that has a butt load of problems, get rid of it while its still in warranty!
Sales manager giving advice on service. That`s a joke, especially on this website. Maybe you should post this in gearheads! HA!
I bet you lost money on the bowl.
Found a sensitive spot did I?
perhaps you should reread my post,again I said manufacture warranty.and again check with a few dealers before you make assumptions.Chrysler will only pay for a loaner vehicle if you buy there warranty.On the learning thing:I guess you might be right if working in service would be a step up from a GSM position.Promises we cant make?What does that have to do with a warranty.Sounds like you have a problem with people in auto sales.Lighten up man you being pretty harsh to guy you never met. :D

Badboat1
01-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Never bought one in my life but I have been lucky so far.Do you feel Lucky.But I have not won the lotto either
Badboat1

HOSS
01-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Well, first off a loaner is not paid by the manufacturer, rather lent(hence the term loaner)by the dealership to the customer for the duration of time vehicle takes to get fixed. These are allowed only to "certain" customers (usually ones with an impending lawsuit) for the duration of time it takes to fix said within vehicle.
Second, a manufacturer`s warranty! Mostthings coverred by an extended are coverred by manufacturer`s Power Train warranty. This you already paid for with vehicle. Certain things power train will alot a rental. Again comes down to service dept.
Third, service and sales at EVERY dealership always are trying to pass the buck on one another. Usually sales to service. Couldn`t tell you how many times sales personnel promised free oil changes for a year to customers. Then after I waste 30 mins dealing with customer, salesman gives me a WE OWE to take care of it. Meanwhile I made zero and will probably fail my CSI report. Which meens I stand a chance of NO CSI BONUS at the end of the month. Good going salesman! Thanks! Idiot!
Lastly, I`ve personnally never met a Sales Manager that was one the ball with common knowledge. Better yet they would try to bullshit me with laughs and giggles. Hell. why would a salesman become sales manager! Because he/she is the best at bullshit! Now this is not a personnal attack and I apologize if it seems that way. Just don`t try and bulshit someone whose been in the game for years.
A sales person is never on the service end and doesn`t see what goes on, meerly just on to the next sale. Their customer service left after the CSI report rolls in and then its on service! Period!
Don`t tell me that you care about service. If so, for now on just authorize the service manager to give rentals or in your case rent loaners out and sales will cover it. Bet it gets light at your dinner table. Better yet, tomorrow when a pain in the ass customer comes in and is raising hell with the advisors and the service manager, just be a general sales manager and flex your muscles and take care of the problem while helping the customer and service dept out.
General Sales manager is gonna dictate service. Dude, go bullshit someone else.
By the way, do you know what power train is? What it covers? If so then why are you bullshitting people here?
Either new to the game or just plain lame!
Gotta love those bench racers! They never learn!

HOSS
01-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Service is a step up from GSM! At the right dealership with the right personnel. But that`s right, the Honda dealership your at can`t keep `em on the lot. And they all go at sticker plus destination! Feel fortunate bro, thats the ONLY dealership in America doin` it right now.
Or was that Chrysler?
Shit now that I think about it there ain`t a whole hell of alot of GM`s I met that are playin` with the full can of peanuts.

MOPAR2YA
01-27-2003, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HBjet:
Yes, or No? [/QUOTE
I'm in the car biz, so I can only relate to them.
Powertrain warranties differ from manufacturer.
5yr/60k or 10yr/100k? Remember, powertrain warranties cover exactly what it implies, powertrain. Theres always window motors, door lock actuators, Fuel sending units, radios, Power seats, Nav, auto wiper systems, DVD and related components, the list can go on and on. IMO, buy the one from the manufacturer,(Hondacare, toyotacare). It's money well spent. You'd might be surprised at how much some of the simple things cost.
Take into consideration how long you think your going to own.
Good luck on your decision and just my .02 :D
[ January 27, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: MOPAR2YA ]

missboatnam1
01-27-2003, 08:45 PM
i work for a dealership, and i always put a warrenty on my personal vehicles......if you paying 20-30 thousand dollars for a vehicle, whats another 1 to 2 thousand more.....just to look at you car is around 100 bucks a hour....i like to just pull in and know im coverd.....always stay with factory backed warrenties, all others are junk in my opion.....
i do belive in home warrenties too....... :D

HOSS
01-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Like I said, "it`s a gamble". Power train today covers more than what you might think. Read them, find out, ask. Insurance company is a sure bet. Want a advice from someone in service? Check with insurance co. But if you must get the extended, I`ll still take your money. cause after that motor blows and the inspector says the right oil filter wasn`t on or the oil wasn`t changed regularly, I won`t laugh. I`ll be compasionate with my hand out. Or the warranty purchased doesn`t cover window regulators only motors, but wait the motors good, that`s right sir/ma`am but the regulator`s toast. That`ll be 369.00 for the part and (my potna the mechanic wants 2.5 to change it at 73 hr.) I know your gonna get it cause where else ya goin`. That`ll be a cool 5 bills. Thanks for the 12 pack of bud light!
But if you gotta get it(extended) the only one to get is a manufacturer`s. I would check to compare power train and extended. Probably overlap. The dealership never loses!
[ January 27, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: HOSS ]

NEW 2 RIVER
01-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Hoss you sure read a lot into things that arent there.Dont recall saying those things about sales.By the way I dont know what dealer you work at but when it comes to customer satisfaction I step up all the time and cover rentals.The service advisors I work with dont seem to feel as angry as you.Perhaps if you didnt approach salesmanagers like they are full of bullshit they might not treat you like bullshit.as for aftermarket warranties I dont sale them!factory only as I said.And dont be mad at the sales guys because they gave a free oil change.Show us all the expeience and knowledge you have and upsale the customer :D .Powertrain warranties that come free with the car?your right except there more than powertrain there bumper to bumper except for wear items.I would continue but you and I and anyone else in the car business knows you are reaching when you say service is a step up from GSM.Check the payscale sometime.Or maybe you already have and thats why youre mad. :D

Jrocket
01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
NEW 2 RIVER:
Hoss you sure read a lot into things that arent there.Dont recall saying those things about sales.By the way I dont know what dealer you work at but when it comes to customer satisfaction I step up all the time and cover rentals.The service advisors I work with dont seem to feel as angry as you.Perhaps if you didnt approach salesmanagers like they are full of bullshit they might not treat you like bullshit.as for aftermarket warranties I dont sale them!factory only as I said.And dont be mad at the sales guys because they gave a free oil change.Show us all the expeience and knowledge you have and upsale the customer :D .Powertrain warranties that come free with the car?your right except there more than powertrain there bumper to bumper except for wear items.I would continue but you and I and anyone else in the car business knows you are reaching when you say service is a step up from GSM.Check the payscale sometime.Or maybe you already have and thats why youre mad. :D SWEET.......nice one!!! :D

HOSS
01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
I live the pay scale. And I`m not in sales.
I think we all figurred the bumper to bumper was a given and didn`t need to be discussed. especially since we are discussing extended warranties. And we don`t even want to touch emissions warranties. Wear item warranties are up rather quick and are all pretty much standard ( the same) between manufacturers so we won`t discuss that either. A friend of mine and his father own a Honda dealership along with 2 others. The Honda site is a stand alone.

RP
01-27-2003, 09:30 PM
HBjet-
So what did you decide about that extended warranty on your new blender :D

dcb carrera
01-28-2003, 05:24 AM
I just bought a new Toyoto Sequoia they tried to sell me the extented warrenty my attitude is any car I pay good money for better last at least 100 thousand miles witout any major problem. I feel that now days any new vehicle that does'nt last at least this long isn't worth keeping. Usually you find out the major problems within the standard 36,000 miles.That's my long winded .02 sleeping