PDA

View Full Version : Need Milling calculation

gnarley
05-05-2003, 09:05 AM
I need the calculation for milling an intake manifold & dropping it down just a bit further. The manifold looks like the left side is correct but the right side is about 3/16 of an inch higher than the ports in the head. At the front the boss area is .050 greater on the left than the right so you can see a noticeable tilt. The heads have been CC'd so I don't think one was milled more than the other & suspect it is a slight core shift in the head itself.
If you have the formula & can post it or email to me it would be most appreciated & save me a little time finding it myself. The machine shop is waiting.
Thanks

hoolign
05-05-2003, 09:56 AM
I do'nt know anything about machining,but why would they do that?should'nt the intake sides always be uniform to a specific size, for manifold installation,I'm curios because I had a set of heads done a few years ago and the intake gasket kept going,i ended up buying new(used)heads,the intake manifold was new.

gnarley
05-05-2003, 10:17 AM
You know I think I have to admit I might have jumped the gun here. I got home late Sunday & wanted to finish the motor & started checking the final alignments & didn't take the time to slow down & think. What I think was an uneven manifold was brainfade! I need to grind a bit off the outer bolt bosses that keep the manifold between the heads to let it drop down & then it should slide around more & then it should level out & won't look crooked & have the uneven gap under the boss. Then it may only be just a standard manifold mill job NOT one side as I initially thought.
Note to self;
Tell Self to SLOW DOWN
hoolign, you know someone may have mis-milled one of those heads. That would then throw off the angle needed for the manifold to sit correctly between the heads. It has happened before! So while building you need to inspect for correct distances & angles to ensure the right assembly.
Note to self;
Self remember the basics!
[ May 05, 2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: gnarley ]

hoolign
05-05-2003, 10:59 AM
A man once told me..the hurrier i go...the behinder i get. :D
I have a set of rectangle port heads here that got burnt in that fire ,I should take them in and have them checked,do you think it would be worth it after that kind of heat?

gnarley
05-05-2003, 11:03 AM
I bet they are fine! If you don't want'em You can give them to me :D

hoolign
05-05-2003, 11:17 AM
I've got a few "friends" that said they'de take them plus the motor off my hands :D I figure with the amount of cash I've got in that thing,I'll see what the builder will charge to get it revvin again :p I'd like to find a piclefork up here for it.the cv-23 thing ain't cuttin it!

SchellSchock
05-05-2003, 12:14 PM
hoolign
All of the hardware ie: metal, iron parts should be fine. I would be worried about the Aluminum parts though as tempering temperatures for alum star at the 900°F Range

hoolign
05-05-2003, 12:19 PM
I should post some pics of what was left :D
I could probably take it to an art gallery and make a fortune..bloody shame!all the chrome was mint too, scoop looks pretty cool now :D