PDA

View Full Version : Not worth the aggro..

burbanite
09-01-2003, 11:39 AM
[ September 01, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: burbanite ]

Kilrtoy
09-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Smokey strikes back, SWEET

Boatcop
09-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Not so fast.
We've got a 26' Lavey that was involved in homicide. We can have it forfeited to us upon a felony conviction.
Next year we may be stylin'. :D

JetBoatRich
09-01-2003, 01:19 PM
Boatcop:
Not so fast.
We've got a 26' Lavey that was involved in homicide. We can have it forfeited to us upon a felony conviction.
Next year we may be stylin'. :D Terrible way to get one, but I guess you do what you have to frown

roostwear
09-01-2003, 01:28 PM
Boatcop:
Not so fast.
Next year we may be stylin'. :D So you can take whatever you want if you get a felony conviction? Wasn't asset foreiture started as a deterrent to drug activity? This world is turning out so wrong......

UBFJ #454
09-01-2003, 01:43 PM
[ September 02, 2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: BEAR_454PE ]

Kilrtoy
09-01-2003, 01:59 PM
If im correct the guy in the lavey was wasted and ran over a guy, killing him and took and fled the scene...

UBFJ #454
09-01-2003, 02:40 PM
[ September 02, 2003, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: BEAR_454PE ]

wsuwrhr
09-01-2003, 04:23 PM
[ September 01, 2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

Boatcop
09-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Instruments of a crime are not returned to the owner(s).
If some one murdered a person with a firearm, you wouldn't expect it to be returned, would you?
How about burglary tools? When the case is over, give them back?
There are provisions in the law for forfeiture of vehicles used in a felony. The law allows us to seize boats and vehicles that are being used in Aggravated (Felony) DUI and OUI cases and forfeit them to the State.
This isn't asset forfeiture, as in a case where the item was purchased with proceeds from drug activity.
What happens to the boat is up to the Prosecutor's Office. Thay can choose to return it, forfeit it and sell it to pay for the costs of prosecution and investigation, or give it to the seizing agency for use or disposition.
Becoming a patrol boat is unlikely, since we have no need for a "show-boat", which is all something like that is.
Our Boston Whalers are quite sufficient for our purposes.
I was being facetious.

sandblasted
09-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Boatcop:
If some one murdered a person with a firearm, you wouldn't expect it to be returned, would you?
There are provisions in the law for forfeiture of vehicles used in a felony. The law allows us to seize boats and vehicles that are being used in Aggravated (Felony) DUI and OUI cases and forfeit them to the State.
This isn't asset forfeiture, as in a case where the item was purchased with proceeds from drug activity.
What happens to the boat is up to the Prosecutor's Office. Thay can choose to return it, forfeit it and sell it to pay for the costs of prosecution and investigation, or give it to the seizing agency for use or disposition.
Becoming a patrol boat is unlikely, since we have no need for a "show-boat", which is all something like that is.
I was being facetious. I thought you 1st comment was pretty funny...not sure why some people would get all upset about it..
I noticed the San Bernardino County Sheriff has an Advantage for a patrol boat out of Park Moabi..wonder if that was a forfeiture?

Mandelon
09-01-2003, 05:18 PM
What happens to the lienholder? If the guy owes $40,000 on the boat doesn't the bank own it? What happens to their equity?
Take a case like Scott Petersons where they took his pickup. He still has to make the payments on it but has no use of it. If he is found innocent (Yeah right :rolleyes: ) he is not compensated for the lack of use is he?
If he fails to make the payments what recourse does the bank have? They can hardly repo it from the evidence yard.....they write it off? And try to collect from the accused?
So if you plan to commit a felony, be sure you rent a car... :confused:
[ September 01, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Mandelon ]

Boatcop
09-01-2003, 05:20 PM
San Berdoo bought 2 or 3 Advantages several years ago. Advantage wanted to get the brand out there, and low balled a bid on a boat contract.
They look sharp, but they're pretty stripped out on the inside, under powered, and have had a few problems with them over the years.

superdave013
09-01-2003, 06:26 PM
If I was a cop I'ed want the Whalers too. I've rented them down in FLA and just beat the holy shit out of those things. Talk about a seaworthy boat. I bet a 16' Whaler would take rougher seas then a 26' Lavey.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
You know, all you guys bashing Boatcop all the time gets real old! I've met him, and his wife, and Alan is a standup guy! He certainly does not need me to defend him but all you do is sit at home on the internet and bash someone who puts his LIFE on the line for you when you hacks are in Parker! Alan, keep up the good work! Some of us actually appreciate what it is you do!

burbanite
09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Damn,
what did I start? :(
This wasn't meant as a "cop bash", merely a little humor...get off Alan's back.
The boat in the picture is certainly the right thing to have in the conditions you find at that lake, take a look at the other boats in Craig's LOTO thread.

summerlove
09-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Havasu_Dreamin:
You know, all you guys bashing Boatcop all the time gets real old! I've met him, and his wife, and Alan is a standup guy! He certainly does not need me to defend him but all you do is sit at home on the internet and bash someone who puts his LIFE on the line for you when you hacks are in Parker! Alan, keep up the good work! Some of us actually appreciate what it is you do! Couldn't agree more! While I generally appreciate wsuwrhr's comments, I feel he crossed the line on this one. sorry, but I think BC was only making a little fun at the rig they just got in - unfortunately, at the expense of another's life. I feel very bad for both families on this one, they both lose. Very sad set of circumstances.

schiada96
09-01-2003, 07:17 PM
If the guy is convicted of a homicide should not the profits from everything he owns go to the victims family?
I'm not picking on boatcop I'm just asking a question.

Jrocket
09-01-2003, 07:32 PM
schiada96:
If the guy is convicted of a homicide should not the profits from everything he owns go to the victims family?
I'm not picking on boatcop I'm just asking a question. In a proper world,well yes maybe.But in this world where laws protect everyone and everything,I doubt it.This is where a very good lawyer comes into play.

Boatcop
09-01-2003, 07:39 PM
That's up to a civil court to decide. There may be restitution ordered by the court, but that's a pittance to what could be sought and obtained civilly.
And yes. The boat could be sold for some of the restitution. An earlier question asked about lienholders. If there was a substantial amount left on the loan, it would just be turned back over to the bank. If there wasn't that much, less than 25% of current value, the bank would put a claim against the sale proceeds, and they'd be paid off upon auction.
I don't mean to sound like I'm insensitive to the victims involved. You just can't get to caught up in stuff like that, when you're in my line of work. If I did, I'd have a hole in stomach the size of the Grand Canyon.
Sorry if I put anyone off. frown

H20Advantage
09-01-2003, 07:41 PM
Good point about the asset funds being returned to the victim's family.
Also remember how many tax dollars are tied up in the investigation and prosecution of the person involved. Those are our tax dollars. By some of the forfeiture going back to law enforcement to continue to fight the good fight (even though some will disagree) why not turn what some of the bad guys have into tools for law enforcement.
I have personally seen some of the tools used by the bad guys is much better than what law enforcement has available to them. This is because Law Enforcements equiptment is only as good as the lowest bidder much of the time.

schiada96
09-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the answer!

LAPD Gary
09-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Same old cry babies around here when it comes to authority. They could have attempted to have a mature, objective questioning of the process but, sadly, the same small minded people jump to knee jerk reactions. Bottom line, if you don't understand the system, ask a question before firing off a few lines of aggravated dribble at one the most helpful and informative members of this board (Boat Cop). If you don't like the system in place, then do something via your local legislature, what good does slinging mud at Boat Cop do? Of course, most of these mental midgets don't have the intestinal fortitude or determination to even get into a voting booth every four years, let alone go attempt to change something. No, it's easier to sit back in front of the computer and take pot shots like a coward. Go ahead wus, I mean wsu and bearcub, drink a few more beers, wave the flag and go drive your boat drunk at full speed. Hey, it's the U.S., and you CAN decide your future: either dead or arrested.
Yeah, a judge in Glendale gave back ALL the guns and ammo to the North Hollywood bank robbers a YEAR before they hit North Hollywood. Real good idea there.
Am I a bit biased? Oh, I'd say YES.
Same small minded crybabies, different day.

Jrocket
09-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Looks like Lowriver is back.

schiada96
09-01-2003, 07:59 PM
LAPD gary what does the North Hollywood deal have to do with this?
Alan I'll be at the family reunion at Rio Del colorado Oct 1-5th just cruse across the river and have a water on me.
[ September 01, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: schiada96 ]

JetBoatRich
09-01-2003, 08:02 PM
The thread just got turned around the wrong direction, started off as a joke and instead it was twisted :o
I am sure most of us appreciate what most law enforcement officers do and put on the line everyday.

Kilrtoy
09-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I think he was linking the giving back part. If they didnt get the guns back then those specific guns could not have been used in the NH Shootout

Jrocket
09-01-2003, 08:05 PM
JetBoatRich:
The thread just got turned around the wrong direction, started off as a joke and instead it was twisted :o
Most threads nowadays do this. :rolleyes:

LAPD Gary
09-01-2003, 08:08 PM
It's all tongue in cheek anyways around this site right? You have some middle class cry babies jumping up to attention like colonel Klink when they hear "confiscation" and sputter some ignorant one liners instead of politely asking a question.
The joke is this line of thought by these goof balls would support giving the guns back to Monteseraneu and his partner, even though they were convicted, because the guns were their property to begin with. Can anyone see the irony in that? Oh, and in LA, we just started confiscating the cars of "Johns" on prostitution stings and those of street racers. The appeals courts and defense lawyers will utterly decide in the long run if these policies will stay in place, as it should be in a democracy. But for now, I'll chime in when I see some dimwit talking through there arse.
Yeah, LR is back, when I feel like it, got a problem with that? hehehe

Kilrtoy
09-01-2003, 08:09 PM
Oh the pics are gone, That is too bad.....

Seadog
09-01-2003, 08:26 PM
One comment. The 'state' should be considered as one of the victims. We the taxpayers have to contribute our hard earned money to catch, convict and incarcerate these idiots. If taking the property and selling it will reduce the taxpayers load at the expense of a felon and his lawyers, so much the better.

sandblasted
09-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Boatcop:
San Berdoo bought 2 or 3 Advantages several years ago. Advantage wanted to get the brand out there, and low balled a bid on a boat contract.
They look sharp, but they're pretty stripped out on the inside, under powered, and have had a few problems with them over the years. Compared to the 2 other San Berdoo boats I saw at Park Moabi with metal seats I'd take the Advantage. Even underpowered... :D

totenhosen
09-01-2003, 09:15 PM
LAPD Gary:
It's all tongue in cheek anyways around this site right? You have some middle class cry babies jumping up to attention like colonel Klink when they hear "confiscation" and sputter some ignorant one liners instead of politely asking a question.
The joke is this line of thought by these goof balls would support giving the guns back to Monteseraneu and his partner, even though they were convicted, because the guns were their property to begin with. Can anyone see the irony in that? Oh, and in LA, we just started confiscating the cars of "Johns" on prostitution stings and those of street racers. The appeals courts and defense lawyers will utterly decide in the long run if these policies will stay in place, as it should be in a democracy. But for now, I'll chime in when I see some dimwit talking through there arse.
Yeah, LR is back, when I feel like it, got a problem with that? hehehe But who immediately decides whether or not someone is racing their car. Could you explaing the law in regards to street racing. I would. be worried that some over zealous officers is interpret the law differently than its intention. In other words if a guy laying some rubber can an officer interpret that is exhibition of speed or racing and confiscate the car. Is the law in regards to what is street racing clearly defined?

superdave013
09-01-2003, 09:24 PM
Kilrtoy:
Oh the pics are gone, That is too bad..... And what were you saying about that thread in the v drive forum. :rolleyes:
I think this one has topped that already in it's first page. There's a difference between the jet / v drive competitiveness (with a few assholes) and this argue

Rexone
09-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Havasu_Dreamin:
You know, all you guys bashing Boatcop all the time gets real old! I've met him, and his wife, and Alan is a standup guy! He certainly does not need me to defend him but all you do is sit at home on the internet and bash someone who puts his LIFE on the line for you when you hacks are in Parker! Alan, keep up the good work! Some of us actually appreciate what it is you do! Ditto that. Mouth in gear without engaging brain normally has these results though. Another seemingly harmless joking thread twisted around into bashing, in this case Boatcop. :(
Frankly I don't know why Boatcop even continues to come on here as a messenger letting everyone know what's up at parker, having to put up with the authority figure bashing he continually receives. I guess its because Alan has some genuine integrity and cares about educating people on what's up, what caused accidents, and what kills people etc.

Kilrtoy
09-02-2003, 01:13 AM
And what were you saying about that thread in the v drive forum.
I think this one has topped that already in it's first page. There's a difference between the jet / v drive competitiveness (with a few assholes) and this
I dont remember, refresh ny memory
Oh yeah here it is
Such anger over here, Im going back to the thread where chicks try to outpose each other...
I was making a joke!!!!!!!!!

Jbb
09-02-2003, 03:00 AM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/sucks.gif

Essex502
09-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Alan (Boatcop) - Keep up the good work. I, for one, enjoy your posts and information. Keep it coming. Some of us appreciate your service to us.

jlnorthrup122
09-02-2003, 05:40 PM
originally posted by boatcop:
I was being facetious. um wasnt this an accedent in the first place? I wouldnt call this boat an instrament of agresion at all beings how it was unintentional wouldn't you? I agree this dude accedently killing a person and then fleeing the scene was wrong but the incedent was accedental was it not! this government thinks it has the write to anything it wants and I am sick if it! sorry boatcop but you got the wrong attitude on this subject bro! I guess I better watch my ass and not stick my neck out or the government will take something (more than rapeing 32% of my wages in taxes) from me! :mad: :mad:

GlastronGuy
09-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Rexone:
Havasu_Dreamin:
You know, all you guys bashing Boatcop all the time gets real old! I've met him, and his wife, and Alan is a standup guy! He certainly does not need me to defend him but all you do is sit at home on the internet and bash someone who puts his LIFE on the line for you when you hacks are in Parker! Alan, keep up the good work! Some of us actually appreciate what it is you do! Ditto that. Mouth in gear without engaging brain normally has these results though. Another seemingly harmless joking thread twisted around into bashing, in this case Boatcop. :(
Frankly I don't know why Boatcop even continues to come on here as a messenger letting everyone know what's up at parker, having to put up with the authority figure bashing he continually receives. I guess its because Alan has some genuine integrity and cares about educating people on what's up, what caused accidents, and what kills people etc. Bingo!
Thanks, Alan. There are those of us who appreciate what you do.

unleashed
09-02-2003, 07:57 PM
I've been on the boards awhile now and love to checkout all the subjects. Frankly though I think I find Boatcops postings the most interesting as well as informative. Keep up the good work. I know I have learned a thing or two regarding some of the laws on the lake and for that I thank you.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

Havasu_Dreamin
09-03-2003, 11:04 AM
jlnorthrup122:
um wasnt this an accedent in the first place? I wouldnt call this boat an instrament of agresion at all beings how it was unintentional wouldn't you? I agree this dude accedently killing a person and then fleeing the scene was wrong but the incedent was accedental was it not! I'm not in law enforcement nor am I an attorney but I would surmise that as soon as the driver of the boat fled the scene the whole incident became a crime. Let alone the driver may have been drunk, although we truly don't know, but if so it further adds to criminal culpability of the driver.