PDA

View Full Version : ISSA decides ..

ROZ
08-07-2003, 11:25 AM
not to run....Just had his press conference.
He was cryin on TV. Feel better now Summerlove :D wink
[ August 07, 2003, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

summerlove
08-07-2003, 12:41 PM
ROZ:
He was cryin on TV. Feel better now Summerlove :D wink Yes I do. We were just talking about Issa at lunch. Maybe he couldn't get over that stolen car conviction??? There are so many republicans running, and such a group of weirdo's that the Dems may pull this out after all, even if they do recall Davis. While I'll vote against the recall, I wouldn't mind a new gov, so long as he's a dem or RR. Thanks for ther news! :)

bigq
08-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Summerlove, are you a old time democrat or a new hard left winger?

MagicMtnDan
08-07-2003, 01:48 PM
summerlove:
While I'll vote against the recall, I wouldn't mind a new gov, so long as he's a dem or RR. Thanks for ther news! :) WTF Let me understand this - you're gonna (a) vote against the recall to keep Davis in office and (b) you "wouldn't mind a new governor?!" WTF
You like Davis enough to keep him? But you wouldn't mind a new governor?!
That's like saying you wouldn't mind if the state taxes you more but you wouldn't mind it if they didn't. What kind of position is that?

eliminatedsprinter
08-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Summerlove
You have me a bit confused. Are you saying that there is no level of incompetence and corruption that you are not willing to tolerate as long as it's from someone in the right party? :confused: .
I have followed G Davis going back to when he was working for J. Brown. He has never been anything but a self serving shil for the highest bidder. He is the living embodyment of the peter principle and is exactly the type of thing our recall law was written to deal with. I feel he (like Jackie Goldberg etc) is an embarresment to our state and his party and I know if I was still an active dem (like I was when I was young) I would be more behind his recall than I am now. After all, many in the republican party leadership don't favor this recall, because they feel the worst thing for the dems would be to have Davis stay in office allowing nuts like Goldberg and Pavley etc to run our state into the ground.
P.S. I am glad Issa is out. But I am greatful to him for what his money has helped accomplish.
[ August 07, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

bigq
08-07-2003, 01:55 PM
I think what she means is she does not like the recall because he was just elected and might be against any recall, but she is not pleased with Davis. If people don't like the recall they should start a drive to get rid of the law. It's funny, the democrats keep saying it is a right wing effort, yet it sounded like they have a lot of Democrats that signed the petition also.

ROZ
08-07-2003, 02:03 PM
summerlove:
ROZ:
He was cryin on TV. Feel better now Summerlove :D wink Yes I do. We were just talking about Issa at lunch. Maybe he couldn't get over that stolen car conviction??? There are so many republicans running, and such a group of weirdo's that the Dems may pull this out after all, even if they do recall Davis. While I'll vote against the recall, I wouldn't mind a new gov, so long as he's a dem or RR. Thanks for ther news! :) I haven't seen the ballot but from what I understand, a "no" for the recall means "yes" for Davis...Since his name isn't on the ballot

eliminatedsprinter
08-07-2003, 02:05 PM
The only thing wrong with our recall law is it's not used enough. Polititions are like children, in as much as they will test their limits and get away with as much as they can. We have to be willing to say that there is a level of incompetence and dishonesty that we will not tolerate and we need to have a legitimate option other than sitting by like sheep and waiting for their terms to end.
[ August 07, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

summerlove
08-07-2003, 02:50 PM
MagicMtnDan:
summerlove:
While I'll vote against the recall, I wouldn't mind a new gov, so long as he's a dem or RR. Thanks for ther news! :) WTF Let me understand this - you're gonna (a) vote against the recall to keep Davis in office and (b) you "wouldn't mind a new governor?!" WTF
You like Davis enough to keep him? But you wouldn't mind a new governor?!
That's like saying you wouldn't mind if the state taxes you more but you wouldn't mind it if they didn't. What kind of position is that? OK, I'll try and do this one more time...I've explained my views on this subject before. I'm a little bit of a target on this one - can't you see the target? It's the one with the "kick my ass" taped onto my back. Here goes...
First of all, I am a long time dem (many of us are, it's just not popular to admit it right now). While I do not think that Davis has done a great job, he did inherit many of the problems form an earlier administration:
1) Vehicle License Fees
This was recommended and supported by both houses of the legislature under Pete Wilson. Wilson signed the reduction when times were good, with no guarantee it would continue when times turn bad. We are in a bad time today, and Davis has recommended and reimplemented the fees we all USED to pay before they were lowered. If they never got lowered, we'd have enough money to cover the deficit, at $6B/year over the 6 years the reductions have been in place.
2) Utility Deregulation:
While not one of Pete Wilsons suggestions (It was the brainchild of State Sen. Steve Peace (I) from San Diego, Chula Vista, I think. This legislation passed the state Senate 39-1 and the State Assembly 80-0. Governor PETE WILSON signed the implementing legislation. Hindsight being 20-20, it was a bad move. fast Forward to the energy/price crisis of a couple of years ago. Who knew Enron and El Paso Electric would manipulate the markets as they did, all at the expense of the CA ratepayer. Davis made an attempt to "right the boat" so to speak by entering into long term utility contracts that have backfired, and he did so BEFORE anyone knew about Enron and El paso's criminal activities.
Now, for my comments, we just re-elected Davis last November. The rep's had their man, and couldn't get the job done in spite of a weak and vulnerable governor.
I just think, and it's what makes this country great, I can have an opinion (right or wrong), that the expense to holding another election, watch the who's who of has beens and losers, and become the laughing stock of the country, isn't worth it. I can make the same arguments for Bush (misrepresentations, govt contracts to his and Cheyney's buddies, lying to the American public), but I don't think he should be recalled. If he were Clinton, he'd be under such scrutiny right now.
My personal opinion of Davis isn't very good. I did vote for him, and believe me, I wanted him gone. Simon was also weak, and unfortunately, a better candidate couldn't be found among either party. I really don't like him. I just don't think that he's done what he's being villified of doing. My .02.

summerlove
08-07-2003, 03:04 PM
eliminatedsprinter:
The only thing wrong with our recall law is it's not used enough. Polititions are like children, in as much as they will test their limits and get away with as much as they can. We have to be willing to say that there is a level of incometence and dishonesty that we will not tolerate and we need to have a legitimate option other than sitting by like sheep and waiting for their terms to end. Term limits were the worst thin that have happened in politics in a long time. With term limits, you get politicians that are only there for a short time, try and make a quick political move that will improve their chances of moving up the political ladder, without any thought on the long term ramifications. Without term limits, you have a person that is up for election every 2 years in the State Assembly (and Congress also, but feds are not subject to term limits, except the pres) and every 4 years foir most everyone else, from your local City Councils to teh Governor. If they're doing a really good job, WHY term them out? It doesn't make sense. If they suck, vote em out! Some of them do suck as a result of term limits, they'll make a decision based upon their political career and how it best suits their future, rather than the future of the constitutients that they have been elected to serve. Sounds self-serving to me. I dunno, politics is fair game and an easy target. I wouldn't want their job, but for the most part, I think most politicians are trying to do the right thing. They get invloved for the right reason, and that is to serve the public. They don't get paid well and they take a lot of crap. I think recalls should be reserved for when a politician has done something so vile and illegal that it cuts into our moral fabric. making a bad decision isn't necessarily illegal, maybe stupid, but not illegal. My job is in local government, and I have a Masters in Public Administration from USC as well as a degree in Political Science. I'm not an expert, but think that my experience allows me a little more insight than the average citizen - I see the political; process every day and unfortunately, it's not perfect. Sorry for the long reply.

bigq
08-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Not popular to be a Democrat, please you are in the majority in California. I am agreement on the energy crisis; he got duped on that one. The fee increase I would disagree it should not be happening and could have been avoided.
There is no proof, yet, about Bush lying to the public, he read what he thought was good information and Bush is under heavy scrutiny, some are calling for an impeachment. I think all Presidents should be under heavy scrutiny, but please don't say no one is not riding the Bush Administration, it's just not true. There are plenty of dems calling foul.

eliminatedsprinter
08-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Sumerlove
Thanks for the response. :cool:
I also hate term limits. But I love recalls. I hate term limits because they limit the voters choices. I like recalls because they offer another choice. I love freedom and I love choices.
P.S. I have gov job also. However I do not regard myself as a public administrator. I am a public servant. I run a small but very popular gov program and I think people like Davis and our states current leadership give public service a bad name and I'm all for allowing the people to smack them down. :D
[ August 07, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: eliminatedsprinter ]

eliminatedsprinter
08-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Issa did the right thing. Now Simon should do likewise.