PDA

View Full Version : PWC incident

OkieDave
07-16-2003, 05:45 AM
After getting married on the 4th of July, the next day my new wife and I were on the water, anchored in our favorite cove having our champagne. A couple of PWC riders were doing laps around the cove, buzzing past us as close as they could. We finally pulled anchor to leave. We were doing nearly 60mph when they female rider decided to go accross in front of our boat. I turned away from her as hard as I could and she turned into me. My wife was thrown out of her seat and she fell on her champagne glass, cutting her hand badly. Six hours in the emergency room and a two hour surgery three days later, the doc says she should regain the use and sensory of her fingers and thumb. Long post but I wanted to rant about the dumbass PWC riders. I could simply have run over her and saved my wife the pain of her injury.

JetBoatRich
07-16-2003, 05:52 AM
okiedave:
I could simply have run over her and saved my wife the pain of her injury. I thought about that when i got cut off a couple weeks ago, then there is all that paperwork with the local law enforcement.

HCS
07-16-2003, 06:03 AM
Should have christen the PWC rider over the head
with the champagne bottle.
Not to name a dozen other things.

hot_diggity_dog
07-16-2003, 06:15 AM
I'm so freaked by these Idiots, yes idiots, I have a extra air horn just for them. wink
As I approach them I start with the horn and keep hitting it until they actually turn and see me before I pass. eek!
It usually only takes about 10-15 blast before they realize someone is honking at them,
then after they look you in the eye's they turn right in front of you. :mad:
I just don't know what else to do with these stupid Fockers. burningm
Idiots and Stupid Fockers Was meant for everyone except the 2-5% of the PWC riders than ride with safety in mind 1st. :rolleyes:
Hot (Love them PWC's cutting you off burningm ) Diggity Dog :cool:

Jungle Boy
07-16-2003, 06:21 AM
That's to bad about your wife. Nice way to wreck a good day. Hope for a full recovery. It does remind me of a PWC story.
I nearly T-boned one about a month ago. There was 5 boats entering back into the lake from a run up a small river that we run. I was leading the pack at about 90 MPH and these 3 grown adults were heading towards us on PWC. As I got closer the lead dumbass turned into me and figured he was going to come up even and race me. I was debating on which side of him to turn out. I missed him by about 15 ft. He then flipped me off. What aprick.

91nordic29
07-16-2003, 06:21 AM
did the "top water carp" "rider" :mad: get caught?

Boozer
07-16-2003, 06:33 AM
When I see them headed towards I let them come my way. I'm bigger then they are and they can move quicker then me. If I hit one and kill the driver as a result of their own carelessness then **** it. It's their own fault for being a moron and I can tell you that I won't lose any sleep over it.
I refuse to let the PWC riders own stupidity put me and my passengers at risk of injury in order to prevent injury to them. They turn in front of me and they get run over. Plain and simple. I'll let the insurance company sort out the mess.
Maybe if we as boaters start making a stand to the PWC riders and start runnign their stupid asses over then PWC owners will open up their eyes and realize that they aren't invincible and boats aren't going to move out of their way.

H.B. Brett
07-16-2003, 07:06 AM
I just leave the place diverter down whenever the pricks are out burningm , then as they jump the wake.... :D Bam, if they're close enough it will easily knock em off the ski. You just gotta keep em behind you, and you'll always be safe. By the time they get back on the ski you're long gone

Hermosa
07-16-2003, 07:10 AM
Glass in boats or near water, not a smart mix.

Boozer
07-16-2003, 07:12 AM
H.B. Brett:
I just leave the place diverter down whenever the pricks are out burningm , then as they jump the wake.... :D Bam, if they're close enough it will easily knock em off the ski. You just gotta keep em behind you, and you'll always be safe. By the time they get back on the ski you're long gone If I had a jet I would be blasting everyone with the diverter. Unfortunatly I only have a prop. As far as being long gone goes, **** that. I'd blast em off their ski and then sit around to see what they do at that point. They come up to my boat to fight, if they look like a good fight I'd prolly fight em if I see 10 guys headed for my boat, well time to use the place diverter again and THEN get the fugg outta there.

91nordic29
07-16-2003, 07:14 AM
Hermosa:
Glass in boats or near water, not a smart mix. That isn't the point. A person ought to be able to sit in a cove have a drink (even in a glass) without being harangued by idiotic pwc riders! burningm

SternDrive
07-16-2003, 07:15 AM
Typical day in the life of PWC'er:
9:00 am: On the water, running as fast as it'll go.
9:05 am: Bored with speed, starts chasing tail like a stupid cat.
9:07 am: Dizzy from spinning, starts looking for boat wakes to jump.
9:08 am: Finds a Bayliner pulling a kid on a tube at 20 mph...starts jumping wake.
9:11 am: Bayliner driver gets pissed, stops the boat and flips off PWC as he goes by.
9:14 am: Drives up to the dam where everyone is floating. Weaves in and out of boats passing as closely as possible, pissing everyone off.
9:20 am: After nearly running over several people floating around behind their boats, travels down river toward the sandbar doing 360's every 3 minutes in front of large boats doing 60 mph.
9:45 am: Reaches the no wake zone and hopes no one notices that he's going 30 mph cause he's right next to the weeds.
9:46 am: After getting yelled at by 3 different boat drivers for speeding in the no wake zone, finally slows down and cruises around.
9:50 am: Bored again he decides to slowly cruise through the boats, again getting as close to each boat as possible, standing up as he goes by, thinking he might see something.
9:55 am: After numerous dirty looks and being threatened with bodily harm several times, he leaves the no wake zone by jumping on and off a wake repeatedly until he reaches the no wake bouys.
9:56 am: Speeds back to La Paz County Park at full throttle as close to the shore as possible, especially near boat docks and houses.
10:10 am: Reaches La Paz County Park and beaches the PWC right next to RoadRunner and hands off PWC to one of his 15 cousins.
10:12 am: Cousin jumps on PWC for the first time in his life and immediately runs PWC into the docks at Roadrunner after trying to do 360's in front of the bar.
10:30 am: Mom takes cousin to hospital, PWC owner opens another 12 pack while sitting next to his trashed Jet(thing) and says after the 11th beer...."Some day I'm gonna get a boat".....
-SternDrive

Jungle Boy
07-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Sterndrive - That's a good summary. Sad, but true.

91nordic29
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
i want to know what happened to the pwc rider.

Hermosa
07-16-2003, 08:22 AM
91nordic29:
Hermosa:
Glass in boats or near water, not a smart mix. That isn't the point. A person ought to be able to sit in a cove have a drink (even in a glass) without being harangued by idiotic pwc riders! burningm Yes, I see the point, but what kind of tard drives at 60 MPH while drinking from a glass object or holds onto glass.... hey, you create your own dangers, correct? Be prepaired, be alert and pay attention, it's part of boating.
[ July 16, 2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Hermosa ]

Boozer
07-16-2003, 08:29 AM
You know I didn't even think about that until just now.
What the hell were you doing with a glass out in the open while going 60 MPH on your boat? I can understand the champagne and all but DUDE!! Either use plastic cups to drink out of while traveling or only drink the stuff while your parked and put the glasses away when you start moving again.
In all honesty I'd say that you are just as much at fault as the PWC operator if not more so. Never under any circumstance you should have glass out in the open while moving on the boat. Bad idea and this just goes to show how bad of an idea it is.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your wifes hand. Your in our prayers for a full recovery. Most pwc riders do not pay attention they are by far the worst drivers on the lakes. Although i've seen some pretty bad boaters also. Just maintain your course next time eventually they will move.( hopefully) Again your both in our prayers for a fast recovery.

91nordic29
07-16-2003, 08:52 AM
[ July 16, 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: 91nordic29 ]

91nordic29
07-16-2003, 08:59 AM
they hadnt intended to have to move. and they probably hadnt intended on going that fast just to move to a different spot. yes, they should have put the glass away first.

MRS FLYIN VEE
07-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Boozer I'm sure at the time it was a good idea for them to have the glasses on the boat for their celabration of them getting married Who would of thought an asshole on a pwc would do a stupid thing like she did I'm sure they both learned a lesson from all of this and it was learned the hard way give him a break.His new wife was hurt and i'm sure he's happy she's o.k because it could have been worse.I know as most boaters do .don't take glass out on the boat period. but know he and her know.

Infomaniac
07-16-2003, 09:34 AM
okiedave:
After getting married on the 4th of July, the next day my new wife and I were on the water, anchored in our favorite cove having our champagne. A couple of PWC riders were doing laps around the cove, buzzing past us as close as they could. We finally pulled anchor to leave. We were doing nearly 60mph when they female rider decided to go accross in front of our boat. I turned away from her as hard as I could and she turned into me. My wife was thrown out of her seat and she fell on her champagne glass, cutting her hand badly. Six hours in the emergency room and a two hour surgery three days later, the doc says she should regain the use and sensory of her fingers and thumb. Long post but I wanted to rant about the dumbass PWC riders. I could simply have run over her and saved my wife the pain of her injury. I wasn't invited to the wedding?
Anyone I know?
What boat were you in?
Turn her off to boating?
Paint a silouette of a PWC on the boat as 1 kill.

lbzboyhb
07-16-2003, 09:35 AM
It is kind of the same debate as motorcycles on the road they think they are small and can act like idiots and that people should look out for them when it should be the other way around.It is not all but the ones that do ruin it for everyone else.

Boozer
07-16-2003, 09:48 AM
He said:
After getting married on the 4th of July, the next day my new wife and I were on the water, anchored in our favorite cove having our champagne.
I say:
Congrats on the Marriage! Best wishes to you both. May you be blessed with many happy years and beautiful children.
He said:
A couple of PWC riders were doing laps around the cove, buzzing past us as close as they could. We finally pulled anchor to leave.
I say:
Sheesh I know those damn PWC'rs can be a nuisance I'm sorry that they jacked up your romantic time with the new wife. They really can mess up a couples good time.
He said:
We were doing nearly 60mph when they female rider decided to go accross in front of our boat. I turned away from her as hard as I could and she turned into me.
I say:
Run the stupid ****s over! They do stupid shit like that and it's their own fault. Maybe if we start running them over they'll learn their lesson and start to wisen up that boats are dangerous.
He said:
My wife was thrown out of her seat and she fell on her champagne glass, cutting her hand badly.
I say:
60 MPH and you had champagne glasses out in the open?? Dude!! That's a no no!
He said:
Six hours in the emergency room and a two hour surgery three days later, the doc says she should regain the use and sensory of her fingers and thumb. Long post but I wanted to rant about the dumbass PWC riders. I could simply have run over her and saved my wife the pain of her injury.
I say:
I'm sorry to hear that your wife had to go through such a painful ordeal and I hope noone else ont his board has to go through this type of ordeal in the future. Please let this be an example to all of you that even when you don't expect it the unexpected can happen. So think before you hit that throttle.
Is this better? I don't feel that it would be just to give the PWC rider full blame for what has happened. Yes if the PWC rider had not have done what she did then this would have never happened. However, when you go onto the water you are well aware of the risks involved and we all know the water is full of asshole pwc owners so we take measures to ensure that they do not mess things up for us. What if they hit a big ass wake going 60 and the champagne glass flew up and hit her in the face breaking in her eyes? Lots of what ifs in this situation. all those what ifs can be avoided.
Nuff Said.

MagicMtnDan
07-16-2003, 09:51 AM
okiedave:
After getting married on the 4th of July, the next day my new wife and I were on the water, anchored in our favorite cove having our champagne. A couple of PWC riders were doing laps around the cove, buzzing past us as close as they could. We finally pulled anchor to leave. We were doing nearly 60mph when they female rider decided to go accross in front of our boat. I turned away from her as hard as I could and she turned into me. My wife was thrown out of her seat and she fell on her champagne glass, cutting her hand badly. Six hours in the emergency room and a two hour surgery three days later, the doc says she should regain the use and sensory of her fingers and thumb. Long post but I wanted to rant about the dumbass PWC riders. I could simply have run over her and saved my wife the pain of her injury. I am really sorry to hear about your wife getting injured. I hope she recovers quickly and completely.
That said, I don't want to jump on the bandwagon about the glass since that point's been made already.
But I do wonder why you were going 60MPH that close to a PWC? I'm not saying it's your fault at all but in my estimation, when you're close enough to have a close call with colliding with another vessel, shouldn't you reduce your speed so you don't have to take emergency manuvers at 60MPH?
I know they can close distances quickly (two vessels traveling at 60MPH on an intersecting line can do that) but perhaps you allowed the butthole to get too close. Just wondering aloud...
I am tired of these PWCs almost killing others. Why can't those fockers just kill themselves and leave everyone else alone?!

91nordic29
07-16-2003, 10:12 AM
it sounds to me like:
anchored in cove having nice time
pwcs start buzzing them, causing irritation.
pull up anchor to move
pwcs decide they are going to continue to bug them even though they are trying to leave, eventually going faster than normally would have, pwcs keeping right along with resulting in collision because the STUPID PWC RIDER WAS A JERK and probably cut them off on purpose. :rolleyes:

Hermosa
07-16-2003, 10:16 AM
I guess the main thing is everyone is ok, and lessen learned. Just another PWC story, they really make boating an obsticle these days. I guess I should have also said "congratulations" on the recent wedding, good luck to you all. : )

VillainDave
07-16-2003, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your wife. I know exactly how you feel I've had to turn on a dime just because of a PWC rider and it wasn't because I let them get to close it was because they are like mosquitos they are just everywhere and tend to pop out of nowhere.
It's too bad that these idiots don't enough sense to watch what they do around boats. But since most pwc owners have several people inexperinced people riding them we suffer :confused:

BADBLOWN572
07-16-2003, 10:48 AM
I am sorry to hear about your wife. The problem, in my eyes, is that a person can go out and get a 60 mph machine for 0 down, no payments for 6 mos and $80 per month after that. Many of these riders have never been shown how to operate their vehicle in a safe manner. This causes a larger problem for the rest of us. As much as I hate to say it, but I think that it should be a requirement that anyone who is purchasing a watercraft should go through a mandatory safety course to learn how to operate the vehicle. I also believe in the liscensing of operators. Make people be held accountable for their actions. No liscense no operation. :confused: Again Just my opinion.

Tom Brown
07-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Congratulations, Dave. :)
I'm sorry to hear about your new wife's injury. :(
-- Tom :)

OkieDave
07-16-2003, 01:07 PM
ok, we did discuss taking the plastic champagne glasses on the boat, the glass ones with the little ribbons tied to them were "ours" at the ceremony so we said, sure, why not. who would think something so freak would happen. the pwc was actually faster than my 23 foot jet boat. she came from out of the corner of my peripheral vision and was going at the bow of the boat, nearly 90 degrees. the emergency room peeps said they get them all the time from the lake, usually beer bottles.
info ron, sorry i didn't invite many people to the wedding. it was a small group in the front yard. if you knew my front yard, you'd know why she wanted it there.

Seadog
07-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about it Dave and I hope your bride has a speedy recovery. There can be some real jerks at Skiatook (assuming you were there). Near the rope swing, I had some jerks try to bean me with a water ballon or something from daddy's boat one time. My BIL had to keep me from demonstrating who comes out better when an aluminum pontoon rams into fiberglass.

dimarcobros
07-16-2003, 01:29 PM
Congrats to you and your wife and sorry to hear about her hand.
We got hit about 12 years ago by a kid who was 13 years old and first time ever on the river driving a PWC. Put a hole in our boat about 5 feet around and sunk our boat. The dad sitting on the back broke his leg and the kid was crying but I don't remember what happened to him. Best part, they sued us and got paid. Bastards!!! burningm burningm
Up 4River was right behind us with his family. He can tell the story better becasue he saw the whole thing happening. I ws to busy trying to figure out who to jump in after and throw blows.

npb4me
07-16-2003, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck and the injury to your wife. I raced PWC for many years and I know exactly what you mean. Even on the race course we had people that had no idea how to control their watercraft. Now that I am a boat owner I find myself yelling and cussing at them everytime they get close to my boat. My first though is safety of my vessel, passangers and others around me. Not racing, and splashing others.
Don't worry, there are a few of us "lake lice" that give boaters the right of way everyday. I don't wanna lose to a boat.