PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in miracles? Yes!

MagicMtnDan
08-12-2003, 05:24 AM
In memory of Herb Brooks, coach of the team in what was arguably the greatest moment in American sports history -- the US hockey team's win over the Soviet Union in 1980 at the Lake Placid Olympics.
http://207.21.243.204/images/14065.jpg
MINNEAPOLIS, Aug. 11 — Herb Brooks, who coached the U.S. hockey team to the “Miracle on Ice” victory over the Soviet Union at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics, died Monday in a car accident. He was 66.
THE HALL OF FAMER lost control of his minivan, veering onto a grassy area at a highway intersection north of the Twin Cities and rolling over.
Brooks apparently was not wearing a seat belt, and his body was found about 40 yards from the vehicle, state patrol Lt. Chuck Walerius said.
Brooks attended a Hall of Fame celebrity golf event and was on his way to the Minneapolis airport to catch a flight to Chicago, USA Hockey spokesman Chuck Menke said.
“It seems like all the great innovators die young,” said Ken Morrow, a defenseman on the 1980 team and now a scout for the New York Islanders. “Coach may have been the greatest innovator the sport has ever had.”
Brooks was behind the bench when the Americans pulled off one of the biggest upsets ever, beating the mighty Soviets with a squad of mostly college players.
That shocking victory, plus beating Finland for the gold medal, assured the team a place in sports immortality and gave the nation a reason to celebrate at a bleak time in its history.
The hostage-taking in Iran, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and the energy crisis had cast a pall over the United States.
The young U.S. team was given no chance against a veteran Soviet squad that had dominated international hockey for years and had routed the Americans 10-3 in an exhibition game at Madison Square Garden the week before the Olympics.
On Feb. 22, 1980, the U.S. team scored with 10 minutes to play to take a 4-3 lead against the Soviets and then held on. As the final seconds ticked away, announcer Al Michaels exclaimed, “Do you believe in miracles? Yes!”
It remains one of the most famous calls in sports broadcasting history.
http://www.topekascarecrows.com/images/090602/s.brooks.jpg

summerlove
08-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Wear your seatbelts people! They do save lives!!!
Very sad ending to such a happy and patriotic memory. cry cry cry

Essex502
08-12-2003, 09:44 AM
I clearly remember that awesome game when we beat the Russkis. Unbelievable! I can't honestly say I have seen a more memorable sporting event.
Herb Brooks took a bunch of kids and beat the unbeatable Soviet team. Nobody thought it could be done - let alone by a bunch of college kids.
Sad to see a simple thing such as buckling up would make such a difference.

little rowe boat
08-12-2003, 03:56 PM
I will never forget that game,one of the greatest sporting moments in the history of this great country. :D