PDA

View Full Version : Need advice---Cobalt -VS-Sea Ray

hd&boatrider
09-07-2003, 08:40 PM
A friend is considering a 2002 Cobalt 21 footer (last new 2002 the dealer has) -vs- the Sea ray 2003 20 foot deck boat. I was wondering if any of you have any personal experience on these boats that you can share here for him to read about over the next day or so. He will be taking both out for test rides this weekend and I will be out of town and won't be able to go with him. Primary use will be on Havasu, Mohave and probably occasional trips to Peris or Elsinore for day trips. They are pretty close as far as price and both salesmen are dealing with the other products with respect rather than trying to make the other guy look bad. That is good to hear for a change. The Cobalt has a little bit more flare and color than the Sea Ray boat and that has caught their eye somewhat.
I know the Sea Ray is very well built but do not know much about Cobalt. The Cobalt sounds like it is very well appointed and has the Volvo 270HP duo prop config. The Sea Ray uses the single Mercruiser config. Don't know the HP on it.
Any advice for the virgin boater?

Sherpa
09-08-2003, 07:20 AM
I can attest to the quality of Cobalt boats. My
sister has one. damn thing has a huge wake, but
you get that with a deep V. the hull is very
sound, the quality of the parts is excellent, and
their boat is around 18-? years old now, but still
runs great, doesn't sqeak/rattle/or pop.
cobalts have always been built nice, now alot of
searay stuff is nice, but I think the cobalt is
more of a Cadillac vs chevy-(searay) issue.
just my .02...
--sherpa

superV
09-08-2003, 07:25 AM
Cobalt all the way these two boat should not even be compared! I would find it hard to belive the $$$ are close but the just my opinoion. Cobalt are high class all the way. And the resale is way better. You see 20-30yr old cobalt on the lack all the time still bring 15-20K.

Catatonic
09-08-2003, 08:17 AM
No disrespect to Sea Ray, my dad had one for years but Cobalt is far and away better than Sea Ray. It's like comparing a Cadillac to a Geo.

mirvin
09-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Cobalt all the way. You'll pay more, but you know what they say....
I sorta grew up on a Cobalt and that boat is still great shape. Lots of classic Cobalts on the water too. In fact I think I see more old school Cobalts than new ones. I don't remember ever seeing a 25 year old Sea Ray on the water.
Just my op.

hd&boatrider
09-08-2003, 09:56 AM
mirvin:
Cobalt all the way. You'll pay more, but you know what they say....
I sorta grew up on a Cobalt and that boat is still great shape. Lots of classic Cobalts on the water too. In fact I think I see more old school Cobalts than new ones. I don't remember ever seeing a 25 year old Sea Ray on the water.
Just my op. My buddy has a 20 year old Sea Ray.

STGP
09-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Cobalt!! For a production boat Cobalt gets my vote.

burtandnancy
09-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Wait for Hot Boat or Powerboat to do the performance tests...

VillainDave
09-08-2003, 06:35 PM
I would have to sgree Cobalt is the better. You to get a real high end SeaRay to compare to the quality of the Cobalt

mirvin
09-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Maybe it's the American flag in the logo. Makes you think you've been seeing them forever!! I think I just have fond memories of Cobalts. A family friend had a nice sleeper with nitrous oxide. I think it had a 351 Cleveland. This was like 1975 to 1980 I think.
My buddy has a 20 year old Sea Ray.Ouch! Is it the same guy you're making the iquiry for? I withdraw my opinion!!!

mirvin
09-08-2003, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE] Wait for Hot Boat or Powerboat to do the performance tests... [QUOTE]
Funny stuff! I think I read that 10 times before it hit me!! Is that in the current issue?
Ok, I forgive you for jumpin on VanDeano about his stolen boat.........

hd&boatrider
09-09-2003, 01:03 AM
mirvin:
Maybe it's the American flag in the logo. Makes you think you've been seeing them forever!! I think I just have fond memories of Cobalts. A family friend had a nice sleeper with nitrous oxide. I think it had a 351 Cleveland. This was like 1975 to 1980 I think.
My buddy has a 20 year old Sea Ray.Ouch! Is it the same guy you're making the iquiry for? I withdraw my opinion!!! No, that is another friend.

hd&boatrider
09-09-2003, 01:04 AM
burtandnancy:
Wait for Hot Boat or Powerboat to do the performance tests... OK, I will bite...are you making fun of them because they are not ***boats?

572Daytona
09-09-2003, 02:50 AM
If they are close in price, I would also say Cobalt. SeaRay's are now made by the same parent company as Bayliner. They aren't what they used to be.

eddie
09-10-2003, 07:03 PM
I owned a Cobalt for three years, a 206. Had problems with stress cracks and getting warranty work done after the first year was up. I could go on and on. I think it's like any thing made today, you get what you paid for and you can get a lemon. If it's the 206 I would stay away from it, notice they don't make that model any more.
[ September 10, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: eddie ]