PDA

View Full Version : Mounting transom remote

djunkie
03-19-2006, 11:31 AM
I just got my transom remote on friday and I just realized I have to cut a 3" hole in the transom to mount it. Are all of them like this? Its the Clarion CMRC1-SB. Is there another brand that will work with my Clarion headunit that doesn't require a 3" hole to be cut? I'm really not liking cutting a hole that big.

djunkie
03-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Nice. How big is the remote, the size of a small entertainment center? :D
I never really thought about having to cut a big hole. I thought they only had a couple small holes to mount them. Heres a pic of it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3307Transon_remote_001_Medium_.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3307Transon_remote_002_Medium_.jpg

phebus
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
If thats the remote you want, and it works with your head unit, drill the hole, and mount it. The size of the hole doesn't matter if it's one inch, or three inches, the remote fills it.
Just tape good first, drill a seperate hole for the pilot hole for the hole saw, run the hole saw in reverse to work through the gel coat, then run the hole saw through. The hole will come out really clean. I would seal it with some resin, and then mount the remote with some silicone. Good to go.

djunkie
03-19-2006, 02:16 PM
If thats the remote you want, and it works with your head unit, drill the hole, and mount it. The size of the hole doesn't matter if it's one inch, or three inches, the remote fills it.
Just tape good first, drill a seperate hole for the pilot hole for the hole saw, run the hole saw in reverse to work through the gel coat, then run the hole saw through. The hole will come out really clean. I would seal it with some resin, and then mount the remote with some silicone. Good to go.
Ya thats what I'm gonna do. But its just extremely hard justifying drilling a 3" hole in my transom. :cry: :cry:

phebus
03-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Ya thats what I'm gonna do. But its just extremely hard justifying drilling a 3" hole in my transom. :cry: :cry:
I agree, but at least that's a great looking remote. I assume it's very water resistant if your mounting it on the transom.

djunkie
03-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I agree, but at least that's a great looking remote. I assume it's very water resistant if your mounting it on the transom.
It better be.....LOL!!!!!!!!! I'm going to ask a lot of questions and get more info on this before I start drilling holes. :rollside:

djunkie
03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
I was gonna mount it between the left side grab handle and the ski tow.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768jims_river_house_012_Medium_.jpg

jbtrailerjim
03-19-2006, 03:32 PM
I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in my transom like that either. To late now though. But I've had two trouble free summers with my Clarion remote. It's definitely water proof.

djunkie
03-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in my transom like that either. To late now though. But I've had two trouble free summers with my Clarion remote. It's definitely water proof.
Cool. Thanks. I need support like this. I'm working up to it. :rollside:

Sotally Tober
03-19-2006, 04:01 PM
If you want a smaller hole I will trade you my older style clarion remote. They take a lot smaller hole They stick out about 3/4". They are hard to press the buttons. But definatly waterproof. The new ones are a lot nicer. Where did you get it? I would like to change mine, I have a transom, and helm as the HU is in the bathroom. I thought it would be nice to have one on the bow for when I'm beached. 3 of them aren't cheap. Good luck. You will love it once you have it.

djunkie
03-19-2006, 04:09 PM
If you want a smaller hole I will trade you my older style clarion remote. They take a lot smaller hole They stick out about 3/4". They are hard to press the buttons. But definatly waterproof. The new ones are a lot nicer. Where did you get it? I would like to change mine, I have a transom, and helm as the HU is in the bathroom. I thought it would be nice to have one on the bow for when I'm beached. 3 of them aren't cheap. Good luck. You will love it once you have it.
According to the destructions you can only wire 2 remotes together. I got this one from Roz. Its definately nice with the digital readout and all.

BadKachina
03-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Excellent advise from Phebus. Make sure you run the hole saw in reverse, I start every hole in fiberglass in reverse. If you don't you take the chance of chipping the gel coat. Make sure your bit in your hole saw is extended as far out a possible so that you don't take the risk of poping out of the hole. Tape is a good idea, and so is resin or marine tex to seal the bare wood. This is easy stuff, don't sweat it, what's the worst that coud happen?

djunkie
03-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Excellent advise from Phebus. Make sure you run the hole saw in reverse, I start every hole in fiberglass in reverse. If you don't you take the chance of chipping the gel coat. Make sure your bit in your hole saw is extended as far out a possible so that you don't take the risk of poping out of the hole. Tape is a good idea, and so is resin or marine tex to seal the bare wood. This is easy stuff, don't sweat it, what's the worst that coud happen?
And measure 3 times and drill once right? :rollside: :rollside:

ROZ
03-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Bummer is that it won't work with the older units...
Clarion makes a great marine deck and remote, that's fo sho...

phebus
03-19-2006, 07:55 PM
I agree with extending the bit of the hole saw, but I also like to run the bit in without the hole saw on the arbor prior to using the hole saw. If you do it together, the drill bit wants to pull the hole saw into the fiberglass causing chipping of the gel. If you have the pilot hole drilled first, you can insert the hole saw to the work surface, and run it in reverse prior to cutting your hole. If you do it right, it's amazing how clean a hole you can cut.

phebus
03-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh, and one more thing. Prior to drilling or cutting any holes, make sure you check behind the area to make sure it is clear of any wires, hoses, etc.

Essexive G's
03-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Why not buy a piece of 3" I.D. aluminium tubing polish it up, and use it as a spacer. I know it going to prutrude and won't be flush, but neither is the ski tow or grab handle.
If the grab handle and ski tow weren't there I'd say forget it. It definitely would look like shiat.
With the other two things already protruding, it might not look that bad.
If you decided to try it. You would need to cut down the threaded mounting posts, get two extended nuts and some allthread for it to reach through the transom.
If it doesn't look good you're only out the price of the 3" tubing and some allthread.

slink
03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
I was gonna mount it between the left side grab handle and the ski tow.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768jims_river_house_012_Medium_.jpg
If you do decide to mount it, I personally would put it toward the outside of either grab handle, where the 3 grey stripes are. That way you dont have to be around the drive (prop) all that much to get to it. Mine is toward the outside and is within easy reach when you're BS'n at the sandbars or just sittin on the swim steps. Just something to think about.