PDA

View Full Version : Fake Oakley's

eddie
01-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Anyone know where to buy a case of the fake plastic frame oakley look a likes? I got about five pairs when I was in NY and broke and lost them. They are perfect for sitting on, falling overboard and running over. I lost my last pair of $150 glasses at LOTO, so the wife said!

Daytona19
01-11-2003, 05:47 PM
go here they look good. http://www.oakleysfake.com/index.html

JetBoatRich
01-11-2003, 05:51 PM
Nice work on the link :)
Great to throw a few pair in the boat, rv, etc.
I have the originals and need new lenses, great glasses. When i broke the frames a few years ago, Oakley replaced them for $19 and I had them in a week after mailing them in.

sandblasted
01-11-2003, 06:34 PM
I get mine when I go down to mexico, usually Ensenada or Rosirito Beach, every street vendor seems to sell them.....My buddy calls them "spokeleys"...

***boat
01-11-2003, 09:00 PM
This might be a wives tale, but be careful with fake sunglasses like that. If they are tinted but not UV protective they will open up your iris and then allow more UV light in. Thereby causing a bunch of bad stuff to happen. I know that that is true for lasers and such, and it makes sense for the UV thing as well.
[ January 11, 2003, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: ***boat ]

JetBoatRich
01-11-2003, 09:04 PM
:cool: Good advice. :cool:

twistedpair
01-11-2003, 09:08 PM
***boat:
This might be a wives tale, but be careful with fake sunglasses like that. If they are tinted but not UV protective they will open up your iris and then allow more UV light in. Thereby causing a bunch of bad stuff to happen. I know that that is true for lasers and such, and it makes sense for the UV thing as well. Absolutely true, a few friends of mine are in the optical business. Not only do they not provide UV protection, but they are not optically correct and can damage you vision. Sunglasses are like everything else, you get what you pay for.

DickDanger
01-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Gotta weigh in on this one. I know what you are saying about losing expensive shades, and wanting to alleviate that. However, those fake Oakleys, as well as the AM/PM specials for $2.99 just arent worth wearing. If you are at all concerned about your eyesight, spend the extra $$$ on the real deal. The UV rays from the sun are NOT cornea friendly. -DD Out

Hotcrusader76
01-11-2003, 09:52 PM
Diddo on that DD.
BTW ...How's Texas?

Kwicherbichen
01-12-2003, 12:53 AM
If you are one of the folks that likes to go to Lake Martinez (Yuma, AZ) then you'll need to make a stop at the border town of "Algodones" about 8 miles West of Yuma on I-8. They have tons of faux sunglasses, watches, leather goods, and more. You can also get alcohol & cigarettes duty free not to mention awesome deals on prescription drugs.
Mke sure you park on the U.S side of the border and walk over. I have stopped there on almost every trip and never had a problem (with boat).

missboatnam1
01-12-2003, 05:42 AM
bummer, i just bought some ray bans in mexico for 6 bucks, i was going to stock up on them too!!

eddie
01-12-2003, 06:49 AM
Daytona19:
go here they look good. http://www.oakleysfake.com/index.html Perfect, this is the link I was looking for, thanks! Have u ordered from them before?

JetBoatRich
01-12-2003, 08:10 AM
DickDanger:
Gotta weigh in on this one. I know what you are saying about losing expensive shades, and wanting to alleviate that. However, those fake Oakleys, as well as the AM/PM specials for $2.99 just arent worth wearing. If you are at all concerned about your eyesight, spend the extra $$$ on the real deal. The UV rays from the sun are NOT cornea friendly. -DD Out That's why I say send them back to the manufacture, they will repair them cheap.

DickDanger
01-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Ty, wass up????? Texas is.....ummmmmmm...different. Lets just say that I am so used to California, things are just unexpected here. All of these cowboy hats, and EVERY restaraunt serves Catfish. San Angelo makes Hemet look like Newport Beach!!! Linda will be here on Friday, and we are gonna go do some driving and check things out. Also gonna go hit Lowake's Steak House. I am sure that you have heard of that place. L8....-DD Out

NEW 2 RIVER
01-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Who needs glasses just do what most lake lice do.
close your eyes and drive :D

RPrincez
01-12-2003, 11:09 AM
Try the Orange COunty Maketplace. They have lots of different knock-off sunglasses there.

Backtanner
01-12-2003, 11:24 AM
DickDanger:
those fake Oakleys, as well as the AM/PM specials for $2.99 just arent worth wearing. If you are at all concerned about your eyesight, spend the extra $$$ on the real deal. The UV rays from the sun are NOT cornea friendly. -DD Out Not true, when I bought mine in TJ last year I asked the guy if they were UV protective. Amazingly he said "sure". $5 bucks, what a great deal. :D

JetBoatRich
01-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Backtanner:
DickDanger:
those fake Oakleys, as well as the AM/PM specials for $2.99 just arent worth wearing. If you are at all concerned about your eyesight, spend the extra $$$ on the real deal. The UV rays from the sun are NOT cornea friendly. -DD Out Not true, when I bought mine in TJ last year I asked the guy if they were UV protective. Amazingly he said "sure". $5 bucks, what a great deal. :D You trust the guy in TJ?
SEE SENOR
wink
[ January 12, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

Windy
01-12-2003, 12:26 PM
JetBoatRich:
Backtanner:
DickDanger:
those fake Oakleys, as well as the AM/PM specials for $2.99 just arent worth wearing. If you are at all concerned about your eyesight, spend the extra $$$ on the real deal. The UV rays from the sun are NOT cornea friendly. -DD Out Not true, when I bought mine in TJ last year I asked the guy if they were UV protective. Amazingly he said "sure". $5 bucks, what a great deal. :D You trust thye guy in TJ? wink Exactly they will tell you anything.

PUMP 'HER'
01-12-2003, 05:09 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]Not true, when I bought mine in TJ last year I asked the guy if they were UV protective. Amazingly he said "sure". $5 bucks, what a great deal. :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
Are you sure the guy even understood what you were asking? :confused:

eddie
01-12-2003, 06:05 PM
[/QUOTE]Not true, when I bought mine in TJ last year I asked the guy if they were UV protective. Amazingly he said "sure". $5 bucks, what a great deal. :D [/QB][/QUOTE]
They have a UV sticker on them and I get a racoon tan when I wear them, I'm sure the protection is not as good as Oakely's, but I can't afford to spend $600 a year on glasses - I've got boat gas to buy!
:cool:

Dick Gozinya
01-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Yo...those fake Oakleys rule. Ain't nada wrong wit em. They work just as fine as my fake Rolex. You outta see me at the river, fake Oakleys, the Japanese Rolex strapped to the rist. I got me some tan in the bottle smeared on, a bannana stuffed in my knock off polo shorts. I got me a Four Winns with Cigarette decals. The ol lady got her some double Ds from the Doc and I bought her a big ol dimonel ring. Ah ha, we be stylin....

JetBoatRich
01-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Dick Gozinya:
Yo...those fake Oakleys rule. Ain't nada wrong wit em. They work just as fine as my fake Rolex. You outta see me at the river, fake Oakleys, the Japanese Rolex strapped to the rist. I got me some tan in the bottle smeared on, a bannana stuffed in my knock off polo shorts. I got me a Four Winns with Cigarette decals. The ol lady got her some double Ds from the Doc and I bought her a big ol dimonel ring. Ah ha, we be stylin.... :p good one?

Backtanner
01-14-2003, 07:11 AM
JetBoatRich:
You trust the guy in TJ?Hell yeah!! See I asked him if I could trust him and he said "OK". :D

RPrincez
01-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Also you can check out some the the outlets. I know Cabazon has an Oakley outlet.

JetBoatRich
01-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Backtanner:
JetBoatRich:
You trust the guy in TJ?Hell yeah!! See I asked him if I could trust him and he said "OK". :D Good enough for you wink

miller19j
01-14-2003, 08:22 AM
twistedpair:
***boat:
This might be a wives tale, but be careful with fake sunglasses like that. If they are tinted but not UV protective they will open up your iris and then allow more UV light in. Thereby causing a bunch of bad stuff to happen. I know that that is true for lasers and such, and it makes sense for the UV thing as well. Absolutely true, a few friends of mine are in the optical business. Not only do they not provide UV protection, but they are not optically correct and can damage you vision. Sunglasses are like everything else, you get what you pay for. I am going to have to disagree with this one. Spectrally speaking Almost all Plastics filter out at least 90% of light from 100Angstroms to .1 microns (The UV Spectrum) Yes some coated optics filter 95%-99% of UV light so they do add some more protection. But saying that the cheap sunglasses do not filter any UV is false. If you look at most cheap sunglasses you will notice that they will advertise UV protection this is because the material they are made of (Optical Plastic) naturally has filtering properties.

ROZ
01-14-2003, 09:33 AM
miller19j:
twistedpair:
***boat:
This might be a wives tale, but be careful with fake sunglasses like that. If they are tinted but not UV protective they will open up your iris and then allow more UV light in. Thereby causing a bunch of bad stuff to happen. I know that that is true for lasers and such, and it makes sense for the UV thing as well. Absolutely true, a few friends of mine are in the optical business. Not only do they not provide UV protection, but they are not optically correct and can damage you vision. Sunglasses are like everything else, you get what you pay for. I am going to have to disagree with this one. Spectrally speaking Almost all Plastics filter out at least 90% of light from 100Angstroms to .1 microns (The UV Spectrum) And I bet the remaining 10% of the UV spectrum is the most harmful...... wink
[ January 14, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

Lightning
01-14-2003, 09:54 AM
I didn't know people still wear Oakley's

Jordy
01-14-2003, 09:57 AM
miller19j:
If you look at most cheap sunglasses you will notice that they will advertise UV protection this is because the material they are made of (Optical Plastic) naturally has filtering properties. But when dealing with the "Fakleys" you must determine if they are using optical plastic or recycled plastic bottles and saran wrap. :D Maybe if you found a pair with the "Pepsi" logo still in tact, that would help the filtering process even more. wink

Laveyman
01-14-2003, 10:05 AM
When you pay good money for first quality, you only cry once!!! Get a bargain on cheap crap and you'll cry forever(Except when ya drop them in the lake). Spend the extra $$$ and get the real thing with the known quality. My .02

mbrown2
01-14-2003, 10:11 AM
Backtanner:
JetBoatRich:
You trust the guy in TJ?Hell yeah!! See I asked him if I could trust him and he said "OK". :D Chipotle :D :) :D

Laveyman
01-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Chippapoodle?

Spirit of Discovery
01-14-2003, 10:33 AM
I agree with Laveyman, Spend the $ once and cry then. If you break your Oakleys, they fix 'em. They used to fix 'em for free, but now they have a minimal charge. If you're near Orange County, you can go to the factory in Foothill Ranch and they take care of it on the spot. I speak as the voice of experience!! Broke mine several times and they've fixed 'em every time. My daughter bought me the first pair in 95 and still working off the aftermath!! I think they're well worth the price.

HM
01-14-2003, 11:05 AM
miller19j:
I am going to have to disagree with this one. Spectrally speaking Almost all Plastics filter out at least 90% of light from 100Angstroms to .1 microns (The UV Spectrum) Yes some coated optics filter 95%-99% of UV light so they do add some more protection. But saying that the cheap sunglasses do not filter any UV is false. If you look at most cheap sunglasses you will notice that they will advertise UV protection this is because the material they are made of (Optical Plastic) naturally has filtering properties. Silly Miller,
.1 Microns? Oh my, the sky is falling! I am not sure what industry (shades & canopies?) measures light in microns, but typically it is measured in nanometers.
You want 100% filtering. As Roz bet the remaining 10% is the most deadly, and that is pretty true, as the 10% not blocked is typically in the UVB range and has the most energy to cause damage - UVB has 800 - 1000 times the energy of UVA. Some people also believe the blue range is harmful (Remember Blue blockers?). There is serious debate on cheap glasses - better than nothing? Like Craig said, they cause the iris to open up (true of all sun glasses), therefore allowing a LOT more of the remaining UV rays in the eye (that nasty 10%). There are cheap sunglasses witgh 100% UV protection.
Everything you wanted to know about UV and light in general (sort of):
UV light: ~100(nanometers) - 400(nm)
UVA 400 nm - 320 nm
UVB 320 nm - 290 nm
UVC 290 nm - 100 nm
Visisble light: 400 - 450 (nm)= violet
450 - 500 (nm)= blue
500 - 560 (nm)= green
560 - 590 (nm)= yellow
590 - 620 (nm)= orange
620 - 700 (nm)= red
Infared light: 700 - ~3000 (nm)
UVA
Ultraviolet A radiation is the closest to the wavelengths of visible light. The waveband is from 400 nm to 320 nm. This type of UVR is presently suspect in cataractogenesis. It is a factor in erythema and sunburn but at levels much higher than those of UVB (800-1000 time more UVA required to produce the same effect).
UVB
Ultraviolet B radiation is a shorter length, more energetic wave. It produces erythema and sunburn, delayed tanning, dermal connective tissue damage (skin aging and wrinkling) and thickening of the skin. It may also produce more serious effects such as cutaneous carcinoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer the former an a co-carcinogenic manner. The wavelength is from 290 nm t0 320 nm.
UVC
This band of ultraviolet radiation is the shortest of the three- below 290 nm. It is used for sterilization and germicidal application. It will cause desquamation or skin loss on exposure of relatively short duration. This band is completely absorbed by the Earths ozone.

HM
01-14-2003, 11:19 AM
I understand the $$ issue of sunglasses, especially when you can lose them and brake them easily at the river or lake.
The reality is you will probably be killed in a car accident long before you have any real eye damage. :rolleyes:
Besides, it is just your eyes. :rolleyes:

miller19j
01-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Silly Miller,
.1 Microns? Oh my, the sky is falling! I am not sure what industry (shades & canopies?) measures light in microns, but typically it is measured in nanometers.I am not going to get into a debate over this I was just trying to relay some information so all the people that were getting scarred that they would be blinded because they were wearing cheap sunglasses would not worry any longer.
As far as measuring in Microns no I do not work with “Shades & Canopies” I design Imaging Spectrometers. They are instruments that are used to measure Spectral Transmission and although Nanometers are commonly used for visible light when you move out of the visible spectrum Microns is the common measurement.
Infared light: 700 - ~3000 (nm) You better look this one up again
780 nm (.78 Microns) – 1000 nm (1 Micron) Near IR
1000 nm (1 Micron) – 3000 nm (3 Microns) SWIR
3000 nm (3 Microns) – 5000 nm(5 Microns) MWIR
8000 nm (8 Microns) – 14000 nm (14 Microns) LWIR
Any way buy what ever sunglasses you want everyone! :)

78Eliminator
01-14-2003, 11:27 AM
I was at a sunglasses store and after prying the sales guy for a while I found out how they are able to sell the cheapo sunglasses with a "UV Protection" sticker on the side. What they do is spray on a UV Protecive coat (like armor all) on the lens. The first time you rub them down, the UV protection goes away. I like my eyes. If you have enough money to keep a boat healthy, you have enough to buy a nice pair or sunglasses and try to be responsible with them. I have some Persols with hard core UV and polarized. They are awesome. Even my contacts have UV protection.

HM
01-14-2003, 11:39 AM
LOL Miller,
Yes, the IR (infared radiation) goes much higher than 3000 (nm). But, IR is not UV. I know the UV cure guys throw around those terms fairly loosely (I sell chemicals in these industries) becasue there are UV and IR and EB (electron beam) cured chemistries.
This is sort of like the "marine carb vs. standard carb" argument and similar.
But like I said, it is only your eyes. You can always get a glass eye replacement - although they don't have much fucntion other than filling a hole in your head. I always thought a polished stainless steel eye would be cool - but I think I will stick with my real eyes as long as possible.

miller19j
01-14-2003, 11:43 AM
HolyMoly:
LOL Miller,
Yes, the IR (infared radiation) goes much higher than 3000 (nm). But, IR is not UV. I know the UV cure guys throw around those terms fairly loosely (I sell chemicals in these industries) becasue there are UV and IR and EB (electron beam) cured chemistries.
This is sort of like the "marine carb vs. standard carb" argument and similar.
But like I said, it is only your eyes. You can always get a glass eye replacement - although they don't have much fucntion other than filling a hole in your head. I always thought a polished stainless steel eye would be cool - but I think I will stick with my real eyes as long as possible. We sound like a couple of PHD Professors quarrelling over stupid shit!
By the way I have a standard carb on my boat…… :D wink

HM
01-14-2003, 11:52 AM
MIller - I was just pokin at the unit of measurement as I had not seen that used much for light - even though it is accurate. Feel free to biatchslap my expensive sunglasses off of my face. :D
Next, should we discuss string theory? Or perhaps challenge the concept that the speed of light as the only constant in the universe. argue I am a fan of Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene.

miller19j
01-14-2003, 11:57 AM
HolyMoly:
MIller - I was just pokin at the unit of measurement as I had not seen that used much for light - even though it is accurate. Feel free to biatchslap my expensive sunglasses off of my face. :D I suggest that you buy the cheap Oakleys for when you plan on getting Bitch Slapped…I hear that they come with 100% Bitchslap (100 bs – 1000 bs) protection. :D wink
Any way its all good, I guess I am a little grumpy this morning. :)

hack job
01-14-2003, 02:38 PM
78Eliminator:
I was at a sunglasses store and after prying the sales guy for a while I found out how they are able to sell the cheapo sunglasses with a "UV Protection" sticker on the side. What they do is spray on a UV Protecive coat (like armor all) on the lens. The first time you rub them down, the UV protection goes away. I like my eyes. If you have enough money to keep a boat healthy, you have enough to buy a nice pair or sunglasses and try to be responsible with them. I have some Persols with hard core UV and polarized. They are awesome. Even my contacts have UV protection. yeah like he said ! so when i buy my cheep sunglasses in mexico i spray them down with "303" to uv protect them.
and for those times when i accidently leavem my glasses in the car, i apply "303" directly to my eyes to protect form the harmfull efects of the sun. wink :D

Backtanner
01-14-2003, 06:52 PM
JetBoatRich:
Backtanner:
JetBoatRich:
You trust the guy in TJ?Hell yeah!! See I asked him if I could trust him and he said "OK". :D Good enough for you wink You know now that I think about it I think the bastard said "Uh..Que"

ROZ
01-14-2003, 07:30 PM
HolyMoly:
Next, should we discuss string theory. So you like reading about Stringers, do you? Have I got a book for you.
[ January 14, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

JimmyBaja
01-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Hey Eddie,
If it doesn't rain or snow soon, we'll have to leave the boats on shore. The muddy Mo is needs some water released!!! No need to worry about gas money.....
Jim

eddie
01-14-2003, 08:49 PM
JimmyBaja:
Hey Eddie,
If it doesn't rain or snow soon, we'll have to leave the boats on shore. The muddy Mo is needs some water released!!! No need to worry about gas money.....
Jim Don't you worry Jimmy, we will get snow, ice and rain. I'm moving this weekend.
I guess I can buy good glasses then and I don't have to worry about loosing them in the water if were out.

JetBoatRich
01-14-2003, 10:10 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

eddie
05-03-2003, 04:35 AM
Day19, links done - got another?

THATJEFFGUY
05-03-2003, 11:02 AM
C'mon guys..as much as we spend on our boats, tow vehicles, gas,and especially beer....we can afford to but the real shades...it's only money ! Get some Croakies too..they are life savers for those $200 glasses !!