PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Boat's on the radio...

summerlove
09-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Was listening to my favorite radio program yesterday morning, the DSC on KGB in San Diego, and they had an ad for Ultra boats. It wasn't a canned ad, but an ad that was read by the show's host - It was a pretty good ad. Wondering if anyone else heard it and if anyone is hearing the same in other markets. Kind of shameless advertising but it was cool - used the local San Diego spin as a sales tool, and mentioned monster garage, fear factor, etc.

riverrunner
09-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Yeah, I heard it too. Sales must be pretty bad if they have to resort to advertising on the radio.

Mandelon
09-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Mention this ad and get $2000 off your next purchase???? :confused:

ULTRA28
09-03-2003, 04:05 PM
How can sales be considered bad just because I'm advertising? I'm trying to pull in customers that might not know about the custom boat market. The morning show on KGB is one of the highest rated in the country. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. I haven't even heard them myself yet. By the way, ask anybody from the boards here that have purchased from me and you'll find that I give even a better discount to the members of this forum than the $2,000 mentioned on the radio.
Anybody see Junk Yard Wars tonight? They used one of my boats for some scenes of the show. I was wondering if they actually showed it.

Jrocket
09-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Advertising on the radio makes perfect sense to me.

jbtrailerjim
09-03-2003, 04:19 PM
ULTRA28:
How can sales be considered bad just because I'm advertising? I'm trying to pull in customers that might not know about the custom boat market. The morning show on KGB is one of the highest rated in the country. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. I haven't even heard them myself yet. By the way, ask anybody from the boards here that have purchased from me and you'll find that I give even a better discount to the members of this forum than the $2,000 mentioned on the radio.
Anybody see Junk Yard Wars tonight? They used one of my boats for some scenes of the show. I was wondering if they actually showed it. Hey John, Whats up? I agree with you. If a boat builder can afford to advertise on a popular morning radio station, to me that's a sign that there doing good. I'm sure it is not cheap to advertise on it.
BTW.... Just to back up what John is saying here. He gave me a better deal on my new boat I am buying from him than any of the other builders I visited.
JB

01RENEGADE
09-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a good business man to me. go for it John :D I dont think business is bad. Isnt thier a list of about 11 people waiting for a certain boat :D

jlnorthrup122
09-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Hell yeah if I had the coin to advertise on the radio I would but my bidness not running yet! Nothing wrong with advertising hell could be you are a pioneer to a whole new angle on powerboat marketing! :cool:

Hallett19
09-03-2003, 04:28 PM
John, you should do TV commercials ! Some of these mickey mouse ass cable commercials suck big time, you could make a pretty nice one if you filmed it on the right equipment.

Just Tool'n
09-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Ultra 28. I applaud you for trying a new approach to sales.
It is allways great to think outside of the box!
Keep up the good work, love your boats, one day I might be in the market for another boat, & yours is one brand I would certainly look at.
And this is coming from someone who is in sales & sells the top quality product in his industry.
So when I buy something it is hard for me to look at nothing but the best!

woodster
09-03-2003, 04:50 PM
riverrunner:
Yeah, I heard it too. Sales must be pretty bad if they have to resort to advertising on the radio. Ya right..I dont think John can get his boats pumped out fast enough. U ever been to Martinez/ Fishers area? Ultra haven. Lots and lots of new ultras i saw out there last weekend. Hey John I think its great your trying something new. Why dont you do a tv commercial..Just local Sandiego and maybe La markets?

FRANK THE TANK
09-03-2003, 06:24 PM
John,
Do you give better deals at the boat show in LA or for board members???? :confused:

summerlove
09-03-2003, 06:53 PM
U28:
I liked the ad, thought it brought custom boating to the mainstream a little - the comment about shameless was NOT intended to be a blast at all, if you took it that way, I completely apologize. You've got a bitchen company, and I love your boats! The ad, since you haven't heard it, is really cool, and with Dave reading it, it's pretty hip!
SL

Johnwithjm
09-03-2003, 07:12 PM
I heard it on the radio today and thought it was pretty good.

RP
09-03-2003, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hallett19:
[qb] John, you should do TV commercials ! Some of these mickey mouse ass cable commercials suck big time, you could make a pretty nice one if you filmed it on the right equipment. [/qb
[ September 03, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: RP ]

RP
09-03-2003, 07:26 PM
ULTRA28:
Anybody see Junk Yard Wars tonight? They used one of my boats for some scenes of the show. I was wondering if they actually showed it. Great idea John... the media is the best way to gain positive exposure... I have done some work for West Coast Customs in L.A., which do work for Shak and others. They are also talking about the whole media advertisement arena as well.

Kilrtoy
09-03-2003, 07:33 PM
If he is on the radio now, Sales arent down, they must be kickin ass.
Radio is not cheap. Its about time we see some of these builders(1) due this.....

Phat_Kat
09-03-2003, 07:36 PM
ULTRA28:
I am always open to suggestions on how to better promote the lifestyle that we on the boards already know so well (and sell a few boats while I'm at it). How about giving me a jock with the logo on the crotch? I'll wear it at op6 and get everyones wives interested in the boats and much more :D
[ September 03, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

Kilrtoy
09-03-2003, 07:51 PM
From the sounds of it, most women on here arent locking for jocks or the other thing that ryhmes with it.

Phat_Kat
09-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Kilrtoy:
From the sounds of it, most women on here arent locking for jocks or the other thing that ryhmes with it. you know you love me so stop denying it :D

RP
Kilrtoy:
From the sounds of it, most women on here arent locking for jocks or the other thing that ryhmes with it. funny... he is probably following you... I don't think you have ever posted withouth some sexual undertone involved.

RP
[
[ September 03, 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: RP ]

RP
09-03-2003, 07:59 PM
[double post... sorry!

Mandelon
09-03-2003, 08:04 PM
ULTRA28:
I am always open to suggestions on how to better promote the lifestyle that we on the boards already know so well (and sell a few boats while I'm at it).
You should put a big ULTRA vinyl graphic on your bling bling Escalade and let me drive all over town... :D :D :D

summerlove
09-03-2003, 08:05 PM
ULTRA28:
I am glad to have Dave promoting my product, he is a great guy. I plan on getting Dave and his girls out on the water sometime soon, he could use some time away relaxing after the tough month he has had.
No kidding! I've been a huge fan of that "Dumb son of a bitch" for as long as they've been on the radio in SD. My heart and prayers definitely go out to him and his daughters. He seems like the kind of guy that would love taking the girls to the river...

jus a baker
09-03-2003, 08:16 PM
ULTRA28:
How can sales be considered bad just because I'm advertising? I'm trying to pull in customers that might not know about the custom boat market. The morning show on KGB is one of the highest rated in the country. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. I haven't even heard them myself yet. By the way, ask anybody from the boards here that have purchased from me and you'll find that I give even a better discount to the members of this forum than the $2,000 mentioned on the radio. its not a big deal, its called business, wink

ROZ
09-03-2003, 11:49 PM
How about doing an infomertial type tv run on Saturdays on Channel 8 come october. I hear the airtime isn't that much..Making the video will be the costly part.. You know, get rid of the english guy selling oxyclean, and loop a bunch of video with running your line of boats to music showing off the lifestyle and a few testimonials...Make sure to get a few hotties on there too! I'd be glued to the set for the full 3hrs... wink

26 QUEST
09-04-2003, 04:45 AM
You need to spend money to make money.What would you say if the local bar was having a .25 tap beer night and you did not hear about it?

Hermosa
09-04-2003, 05:26 AM
riverrunner:
Yeah, I heard it too. Sales must be pretty bad if they have to resort to advertising on the radio. It's obvious you have never run a business, stick to your 9 to 5.

eliminatedsprinter
09-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Here's an idea idea . Give me a 21 or 22 stealth and a truck with any advertising you want gelcoated/painted on them and I'll go around as a living add for your boats for the next 10 years or so.....
P.S. make sure to give the boat a good strong motor, so it is always seen spanking other boats and never seen broken down. wink