PDA

View Full Version : Just some stuff

***boat
02-28-2003, 09:48 PM
After some talking, legal threats a whole heard of lawyers hours of me reading the UDRP, and a bunch of legal stuff. ***boat.net is now ***boat.com. Not that it matters much to most of the people here. I am going to keep the forums at http://forums.***boat.net because it is cleaner that way.
Also I will be changing the looks of the forums and upgrading to version 6.5 in week or two. Functionality is mostly the same but there will be some layout changes. The forums are going to be a little less isolated from the rest of the site and some nice new features will be added.

RiverKitty
02-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Congrats on winning the "Infringing Cybersquatter" battle!
When will the new Domain be up and running?
I assume when you upgrade to the new 6.5 version for the forum, there will be some more "down time", eh?

***boat
03-01-2003, 12:04 AM
Should be about 35 min downtime, but it will be around 4:00am so not a whole lot of you will notice. The ***boat.com domain is up in most areas of the country and everyone should have it in another 12 to 24 hours except people in Nebraska of course that might take till next week.
[ March 01, 2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: ***boat ]

RiverKitty
03-01-2003, 12:08 AM
I just checked it and its still not up here in lil' ol Kingman!
But then again, we're dealing with Citizens/Frontier.

Rexone
03-01-2003, 12:24 AM
do they have computers in Nebraska? wink

03-01-2003, 12:27 AM
Rexone:
do they have computers in Nebraska? wink Yeah....the ones with the hand crank on the side :D :D :D

GlastronGuy
03-01-2003, 10:58 AM
***boat:
http://forums.***boat.net because it is cleaner that way.First time I've ever seen this error message:
Error Occurred While Processing Request
A License Exception has been thrown.
You tried to access the developer edition from a disallowed IP (12.246.212.124). The developer edition can only be accessed from 127.0.0.1 and one additional IP address. The additional IP address is: 24.221.246.173
Please Try The Following:
Check the CFML Reference Manual to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.
Browser Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Remote Address 12.246.212.124
Referer http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001844
Date/Time 01-Mar-03 10:56 AM
Stack Trace (click to expand)
coldfusion.license.LicenseManager$LicenseInvalidIP Exception: A License Exception has been thrown.
at coldfusion.license.LicenseManager._isValidIP(Unkno wn Source)
at coldfusion.license.LicenseManager.checkValidIP(Unk nown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.LicenseFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.inv oke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(Unknown Source)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(Unknown Source)
at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker. java:106)
at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvok erChain.java:42)
at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequ estDispatcher.java:241)
at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(Servlet EngineService.java:527)
at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable( JRunProxyService.java:198)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invok eRunnable(ThreadPool.java:348)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRu nnable(ThreadPool.java:451)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeR unnable(ThreadPool.java:294)
at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java :66)

***boat
03-01-2003, 11:12 AM
That error message is fixed. Would have been a lot sooner but I did not wake up till about 10:30 and rather than waking me up everyone just tried to fix the problem them selves. I did not change anything with the site lastnight, so I we will need to keep looking for a while to determine what is going on. Our Win2K genius guy is back finally and looking at the server right now. I am very sorry for the down time again.
[ March 01, 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: ***boat ]

JetBoatRich
03-01-2003, 12:30 PM
The site is amazing the ups and downs wink

AZKC
03-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Called job security :D Build things only you can fix :cool:
KC

Holland
03-01-2003, 12:48 PM
Well, you cant have progress without grief I suppose... ***boat will get it all worked out soon...

Mandelon
03-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Yeah, but in the meantime traffic grows at Doug's, KB's and Barney's........ eek!

WetWillie
03-01-2003, 12:58 PM
***boat,
Without getting to deep can you explain a little? I never understood what the deal was. Is long as I can remmember I would accidently type ***boat.com in and get a ???? Site. How did you fight this battle? Or was it a battle at all?
WW :D

***boat
03-01-2003, 01:33 PM
"The ***boat.com battle"
Here is the background on that. All of this happened well before I came along. When ***boat was just starting up they did not pay much attention to the internet. A guy in Russia did however and registered the domain ***boat.com. He then proceeded to put up an annoying advertising site. This guy also managed to register a bunch of other domain names that magazines had not registered. Hot Boat went to him and asked how much he would pay for it. He said something like $5000. Hot Boat said no and then did nothing for about 2 years.
A while back a law called the digital millennium act passed. Among many other things it provided a way for domains that were registered in bad faith or in violation of a copyright to be re-claimed by the people who should own them. These conflicts can be resolved under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (often referred to as the "UDRP") put out by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Number, or at least I think that is what it is.)
When I came along I asked about this and there was a lot going on. Because LFP legal did not seem to care a whole lot I did all the research and got my father (a lawyer) to do the binding arbitration thing. When asshole Russian guy realized we were going to take it from him he offered to sell it at $200 under what the legal fees cost. It costs around $1250 to $1500 to take a domain back. Of course we paid him, because as much as I would have liked to just yank the domain from him arbitration would have taken forever. If any one needs any help with the UDRP email me and I will point you in the right direction. It is a fairly screwy policy and if you do not do your research you will probably waste $1500.

HCS
03-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Damn Rusky's! put up a firewall. burningm