PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of river parents

Trailer Park Casanova
06-03-2003, 06:41 PM
My daughter is 17, 90 lbs, straight Ap grades in hardcore subjects, SAT of 1390, was blessed that she took none of her looks from me and ended up what every boy her age tells me; a total 10 knockout, never caught her in a lie,, as good as it gets with a child. She got it all, and is as sweet as sugar.
She lives for the river. Wakeboarding, the sandbar, beachclub at Emerald Cove at night,,, it's her big break from a years academic grind.
The phone rang,, and it was a angry parent of a kid who didn't like the idea that she refered to boys as "sperms" in a note she wrote in his year book.I almost had to hold the phone with a potholder,, these Catholic School Parents get ugly with sex references,,,
I think nothing of it,, but mom wants to ground her for it, and I'm sticking up for the daughter.
Who's right?
So; "Whats the big deal" I say,, "No",, her mom says,, "shes a potty mouth for that",,, and "I'm leading her astray, and should have my Huevos pounded flat with a wooden mallet for sticking up for her".
Whats a river dad to do?
Am I that bad???
You the river jury make the call,, dust me off and send me back to either defend her,, or head out for a few Margaritas at Chuy's 'till this blows over.
[ June 03, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

exciter
06-03-2003, 06:48 PM
if that is the worst thing she does YOU AND MOM should buy her a present not ground her!!look at alot of other girls her age

Kilrtoy
06-03-2003, 06:56 PM
WOW Sperms, Maybe the little prick deserved it. Tell the Religious freak to relax. Daughter sounds awesome........

JetBoatRich
06-03-2003, 06:58 PM
She is old enough to have an opinion, so don't hold that against her. :D She may just want to learn good judgement and when to use her opinions. eek!
I don't think grounding is needed, of course my daughter is only 13 and what do I know :D

SCUBA STEVE
06-03-2003, 07:00 PM
No punishment. Sounds like you have an exceptional daughter. :D

Windy
06-03-2003, 07:05 PM
She is not cursing in the yearbook right?
MissHBjet

LUVNLIFE
06-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Ouch Huevos pounded flat with a mallet. I went to Catholic school for twelve years and look how I turned out...... Nevermind. But it sounds like you are proud of her and you feel you did the right thing, that's 90% of the battle. Prob 95%. :D

Mandelon
06-03-2003, 07:26 PM
That is the worst thing she has done? Give her a hug and $100 bill.
Its hard to remember that far back but I think 17 year old boys are "sperms".... :D

TCHB
06-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Great Daughter Buy her a boat!!!!!! Your wife is way wrong on this concern.

Frosty_pop
06-03-2003, 07:34 PM
You the river jury make the call,, dust me off and send me back to either defend her,, or head out for a few Margaritas at Chuy's 'till this blows over.
Take your daughter to Chuy's for margaritas... leave the over bearing wife at home. Just my .02

Jrocket
06-03-2003, 07:35 PM
If thats all that was done I'd let it go.Have your wife hang out at the mall and listen to what some teenage girls say these days.Alot of them put iron workers too shame!!! I think your in the right on this one...It wasnt that bad.

06-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Take her shopping and leave mom home most boys
are sperms at that age and beyond i have 2 daughters they need to express there opinion

LHC30Victory
06-03-2003, 07:48 PM
Find out what she meant by it first. You may have hit it on the head when you said he may have deserved it! All things considered (especially all of the Catholic guilt out there), that ain't bad!
Just the .02 from a recovering catholic :D

JetBoatRich
06-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Let us know how it turns out, sound like you are doing good and don't need to worry.

Duck
06-03-2003, 08:08 PM
It's great she recognizes guys for what they are and came up with a great way to constantly refresh herself what they would do if they had half a chance. Great parenting Casanova.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-03-2003, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the positive input,,, I've read all the posts,, considered them,, and:
Based on your advice, I'm sticking up for my daughter Maren,, overuling any punishment, and holding steady 'till it blows over,,
-Thanks you guys,, you're a cool bunch of people that make this forum so good and so fun.

mike37
06-03-2003, 08:16 PM
TCHB:
Great Daughter Buy her a boat!!!!!! Your wife is way wrong on this concern. 2nd that

78Eliminator
06-03-2003, 08:40 PM
I went to catholic school. I straight up wrote "BITCH" with an arrow toward a nun in several year books. I say leave her alone and don't let some other parent tell you how to raise your kid.

Jungle Boy
06-03-2003, 08:48 PM
I have a nearly 17 year old that we were having problems with last year. She is now home schooling and doing great. She has rejoined society so to speak. If that's the worst thing that your daughter can be accused of, then you have it made. Your wife must forgot what she was talking and thinking about when she was that age. I know that if my kid was 1/4 as bad as I was, I'd shit. And I think I turned out fairly good. Back your daughter on this one. Dads and daughters have a special bond.

Mrs Sandbar Junkie
06-03-2003, 08:49 PM
exciter:
if that is the worst thing she does YOU AND MOM should buy her a present not ground her!!look at alot of other girls her age Amen!!! wink

Havasu_Jet_85
06-03-2003, 08:53 PM
Mandelon:
Its hard to remember that far back but I think 17 year old boys are "sperms".... :D Young, Dumb, and full of Cum.

Phat_Kat
06-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Trailer Park Casanova:
My daughter is 17, 90 lbs, straight Ap grades in hardcore subjects, SAT of 1390, was blessed that she took none of her looks from me and ended up what every boy her age tells me; a total 10 knockout, never caught her in a lie,, as good as it gets with a child. She got it all, and is as sweet as sugar.
She lives for the river. Wakeboarding, the sandbar, beachclub at Emerald Cove at night,,, it's her big break from a years academic grind.
The phone rang,, and it was a angry parent of a kid who didn't like the idea that she refered to boys as "sperms" in a note she wrote in his year book.I almost had to hold the phone with a potholder,, these Catholic School Parents get ugly with sex references,,,
I think nothing of it,, but mom wants to ground her for it, and I'm sticking up for the daughter.
Who's right?
So; "Whats the big deal" I say,, "No",, her mom says,, "shes a potty mouth for that",,, and "I'm leading her astray, and should have my Huevos pounded flat with a wooden mallet for sticking up for her".
Whats a river dad to do?
Am I that bad???
You the river jury make the call,, dust me off and send me back to either defend her,, or head out for a few Margaritas at Chuy's 'till this blows over. 90lbs? jeepers my girlfriend weighs more than that! But really the catholic parents just tend to be bitchy. Potty mouth isn't the issue I'd be worried about. I could more understand if the lady was pissed because she was messing up her childs yearbook by writing something the woman found inappropriate. This lady is just over reacting in my opinion. just my 2 bits.

FMluvswater
06-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Sperms? Medical terminology is being potty mouthed? Since when? Sounds like your daughter has her head straight about what's what in teenland. You and your wife have obviously done a great job parenting her. :) That said, kudos to you for sticking up for her. :)

mtndewdrops
06-03-2003, 09:22 PM
I agree with the No Punishment Ruling!!! :D
She is merely acknowledging that these young guns are a threat to her virginity... wink

rrrr
06-03-2003, 09:29 PM
mtndewdrops:
I agree with the No Punishment Ruling!!! :D
She is merely acknowledging that these young guns are a threat to her virginity... wink Yes indeed. Nothing wrong with being a realist with a slightly cynical streak. Better she realizes the potential of men now rather than a lesson learned too late.
You have taught her well, don't punish her for it.

moneypit
06-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Crack a beer....smile.... and say "use sperm in a sentence". When she completes the sentence, get up take a swigg, scatch your belly and say "your right but maybe you should'nt use that in a yearbook sentence.
Take her skiing......jeez

MagicMtnDan
06-03-2003, 09:33 PM
C'mon Mom, certainly you KNOW that kids 17 (including your daughter) use language worse than a word that you can find in the dictionary!
Be glad she doesn't talk like many of us here on the boards (public boards vs. a high school yearbook).
I'm with the others who say you and Dad need to celebrate her achievements (and buy her a boat as a graduation present)!
Be proud - you've got a daughter that many would give their smashed juevos for eek!

Seadog
06-04-2003, 05:29 AM
I hate to get involved with this, but I need to say that to your daughter, you should show full support for your wife. She has to be given a lot of the credit for how your daughter turned out. Was she too harsh? Probably, but she could also be remembering mistakes she made at that age. Tell your daughter that treating anyone with disrespect is not acceptable and no matter how smart or beautiful she is or gets, only her treatment of others will endure.

superV
06-04-2003, 05:34 AM
I Think MOM needs to go to the river and see what her little girl could be doing. The fact that she refers to boys a sperm is a good thing. At 17 she already is getting a clue to the real world. wink

Freak
06-04-2003, 05:38 AM
I say no punishment just talk to her about it. The girl has a good head on her shoulders she will understand. She might rebel if you punish for such a small situation. Not worth it and what pushy overbearing parent reads their kids yearbook!! Come on. It's kids stuff. Hell the boy probably thought it was cool....
[ June 04, 2003, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: Freak ]

burbanite
06-04-2003, 06:44 AM
I have a 17 year old and a 15 year old, couldn't be more different if they were designed that way. Neither of them are at the ends of any scale but the youngest is more "free with her thinking" than the other, both though, I would consider well balanced and good people. The word "normal" comes to mind.
While I doubt there is any wrong doing here I have to believe that the reason she has grown up to be who she is now is because her parents worked together as a team and in that respect I have to agree with Seadog, you and your wife have to show a solid front because the journey is not over.
You may agree to differ but at least there should be some discussion with your daughter over this - whether or not this incident warrants a punishment will be determined by that discussion....good luck and it appears that you two have done fine job so far.

Sandbar Junkies
06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
I think you should give the daughter a Metal and give the wife some SPERM :D

spectratoad
06-04-2003, 09:22 AM
At least she just wrote "sperms". She could have wrote F***ing Dickhead or whatever. I think that it is a creative way to use a word that is not bad. Give her a margarita and take her to the lake/river so she can continue to drive the "Sperms" crazy. :D wink

Froggystyle
06-04-2003, 09:27 AM
In all fairness to your wife and daughter, it appears that Maren turned out so good because of an appropriate balance of parenting in her life. She is able to look at both sides of an equation, because of separate influences from both parents.
As in this forum, anything in context. Before deciding good or bad, I would put the word in context. Find out what was meant, and exactly what was said. Ask your daughter if, after her explaination, she thinks it was appropriate yearbook material. If yes, you make a decision how you and your wife will react, if at all. If no, you suggest to her that an appology of sorts is in order.
Let her stand behind her own decisions. She is going to have to every day. If she thinks it is right, and fine in retrospect, you will need to acknowledge that and treat it as her decision. If she thinks she made a poor choice of words... she already knows what to do, and has learned a lesson about appropriate language in a public context.
All that said. I think you have a hell of a daughter, who has her head on straight. Relish that, and hope she has a good reason or corrects herself on this matter. I'm not a parent, but I am pretty sure this is not a time to micro-manage her upbringing. Especially since she is about to find her way into the real world, and this is probably not the last parenting decision you want her to remember on her way out the door...

NastyOne
06-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Sandbar Junkies:
I think you should give the daughter a Metal and give the wife some SPERM :D I like that idea.
TPC, let me put my 2 cents in here. I am a young guy of 21, and I am very confident in saying that these Catholic girls with the "over-reacting" parents are the easiest ones to break. They are so strung out by their parents telling them about every little thing they do wrong that they will do almost anything to defy them. I think you should let it slide and tell the wife to back off.
Your daughter has already learned her lesson just by someone calling and complaining. Trust me. If she is the type of person that you say she is, then she already feels guilty for having her parents make an issue of it. NO PUNISHMET NECESSARY.
But if you must... send her over to me and I will punish her for you. LOL

ROZ
06-04-2003, 09:43 AM
I want to know why the kid's mom had the nerve to read her child's property and had the audacity to call you in a taddle tale type of manner. I'm sure the boy probably found it to be a whitty comment...
I think your wife is pissed because some angry parent called the house and feels compelled to do something about it.
I'd say that your daughter is lucky to have understanding parent(s) who have obviously led by good example.
Although we don't know the context in which the word was used, it doesn't sound profane; She could have written something much worse...
She could have referred to sexes as "X" and "Y" eek! :D
I don't know how you deal with such a bad child... :D
Be worried about the cost of the colleges that send her acceptance letters smile_sp

Boozer
06-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Maybe the kid is just openly gay and your daughter resorted back to the old saying "You are what you eat."
None the less. I'd say that is pretty minor and you do not punish her for it. If you ground your kid for calling someone a sperm what you do if you caught them smoking pot or something MAJOR???

Skullinator
06-04-2003, 10:02 AM
that's what it took to make you so i guess in this case the truth hurt. tell mom to hush and and spend a weekend at the river without mom, but with the daughter.

NastyOne
06-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Boozer:
Maybe the kid is just openly gay and your daughter resorted back to the old saying "You are what you eat."
None the less. I'd say that is pretty minor and you do not punish her for it. If you ground your kid for calling someone a sperm what you do if you caught them smoking pot or something MAJOR??? You always cum up with the clasic lines. LOL
get it? cum...... sperm :D
OK it was gay. :confused:

Aqua Boogie1
06-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Just my opinion.......give her a kiss and tell her don't worry about it. At 17, I know for fact I did a whole lot worse than that. wink

BUSTI
06-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Trailer Park,
Good citizenship is more important than grades, sports or a kids popularity. Your teenager sounds like she has mastered being a good citizen! Usually thats because she was probably raised with good standards. Standards that you gave her...as a father its your job to set the standards and your wifes to nurture your daughter. Sure the responsiblilties are interchangeble..but as a rule you should be the standard bearer for the family..its sounds to me you have done a great job with her. Tell your wife she has not broken your standards and that she should take a chill pill and your wife should then talk to your daughter about maybe the best place to write such things. However your girl did not do anything wrong ...at worst maybe in moms opinion used poor judgement. Sounds like both you and your wife have done a good job! Keep up the good work. We all should value great parents and great kids! :D Your girl is at the cross roads in life where she will be descriminating and capable of making her own decisions. Tell your wife the talk to her about things not neccessarily punish her for what she says or thinks. Your wife could drive her away if she she is not careful.

Ziggy
06-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Sounds like your wife is reacting more to the womans call than what your daughter actually did. The Holyer than thou folks have and always will try to push their standards upon everyone around them. I do go to church so I'm not apposed to religion but I am against it being pushed on me.
To me(and I have two kids 10 and 20) your daughter should be talked to and find out the context of her "bad word", unless she had really bad intentions I'd say the talk is enough punishment. And doing this together with your wife is best.

MagicMtnDan
06-04-2003, 02:21 PM
http://www.reddirect.co.uk/images/quiz_imgs/mainImage.jpg
J/K

Trailer Park Casanova
06-05-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the interesting replies.
You're all correct.
The dark cloud over the house is starting to blow away.
Her mom made such a BFD outta it,,,
Thanks for your support,,
All is good now