PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing 20 years ago?

MikeF
10-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Well almost 20 yrs ago wink .
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/tabletop.JPG
Got any cool or funny pics of you and your friends from the past?? :D :D

Mandelon
10-29-2002, 04:59 PM
Hey Mike, nice table top. I remember those Tuff Wheel rims. Here it is all these years later and we're still into anodized aluminum...It just costs more now cuz it goes on a boat!!
And who can forget those cool OP shorts?? Puka shell necklaces and white slip on Vans???? Oh take me back.......I want to part my hair in the middle again!!!

Craig
10-29-2002, 05:26 PM
20 years ago.....working at a little nuke plant in Jersey, racing at Englishtown on Sundays and hangin' out at Seaside Heights on Friday & Saturday nights :D

CMABadseed
10-29-2002, 06:35 PM
20 years ago???? hmmm
teething probably, biting the hell out of everything with the teeth i did have!
haha

HammerDown
10-29-2002, 07:29 PM
Playing the Drums in Rock Bands...and being neck deep in pussy!

Beautiful Noise
10-29-2002, 07:36 PM
Hmmmmmm.........20 Years ago lets see I was Going to Parker, Driving the same 37mph Flatbottom I have to day, Drinking Coors.........DAMN I better get a LIFE. :D
Steve

MikeF
10-29-2002, 07:46 PM
Mandelon:
Hey Mike, nice table top. I remember those Tuff Wheel rims. Here it is all these years later and we're still into anodized aluminum...It just costs more now cuz it goes on a boat!!
And who can forget those cool OP shorts?? Puka shell necklaces and white slip on Vans???? Oh take me back.......I want to part my hair in the middle again!!!Thanx M!, Those tuff wheels were some of the only ones I could'nt break. I'd bend all the alloy wheels. I broke practically everything on the those bikes and a few bones too. The redline forks and flight cranks were indestuctable!
I still wear vans and I think those shorts in the pic were stubbies.
If I had started riding a mx bike a little earlier I would have been in those crusty demon's of dirt videos for sure. I should not have stopped!! :o
Post some pics people! I wanna see and maybe get to poke a little fun!?
:D

MJ19
10-29-2002, 08:10 PM
http://images.snapfish.com/3358%3B82723232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D79%3C%3D566%3 Dxroqdf%3E232334855%3B%3B%3A2ot1lsi
About 20 years ago I was sitting on a red raft watching my lame friend crash on what she called a HUGE wave. :rolleyes:

RiverToysJas
10-29-2002, 08:20 PM
My old BMX bike from the late 70s is still alive and well, at my parent's house! It's still in pretty good shape too, and YES, it has yellow TUFF Wheels!!! Dad keeps telling me I need to come pick it up, hell in a few year my son will be able to take it over. I'm sure he'll love it as much as I did! :rolleyes: yeah, right!
RTJas :D

77charger
10-29-2002, 08:27 PM
twenty years ago i was sking behind my jet boat which i still have til my brother picks it up i have pics from then too.Also riding atcs remeber those 110s.camping with my parents and trout fishing.Anyone remember those z rims for bmx bikes or how bout the moto mags on the mongooses?

RiverToysJas
10-29-2002, 08:58 PM
77charger:
....Anyone remember those z rims for bmx bikes or how bout the moto mags on the mongooses?What about PK Ripper? I really wanted one of those!!!

MikeF
10-29-2002, 09:09 PM
And the SE Quadangle :D .
I had a friend break his leg landing on one of my ramps w/ the z-rims. He landed, rim folded, then shot him off at an angle and crashed big time. It was a funny sight!

B-rad502
10-29-2002, 09:12 PM
20 years ago, I was asleep right now so I could be all ready to go for a full day of 4th grade tomorrow!!

77charger
10-29-2002, 09:23 PM
MikeF:
And the SE Quadangle :D .
I had a friend break his leg landing on one of my ramps w/ the z-rims. He landed, rim folded, then shot him off at an angle and crashed big time. It was a funny sight!i had one of those with the landing gear forks i did crack the frame on the upper bar where they connect it was a problem spot as i knew others who cracked theres too.

superdave013
10-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Hey Mike, Do you still ride? I'm into freeriding and downhilling. If you have a mountain bike we should go hit some of the sick stuff that good ol OC has to offer. Don't know if I could keep up with a young buck like you though!
Anyway 20 years ago my first boat I built was 3 years old and I was in my first year in Collage!
Now 24 years ago I was doing this!
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~superdave013/ltp1978.jpg

MikeF
10-29-2002, 09:34 PM
77, To many endo's? (j/k) wink .
SD, I have a Psycle werks MB. My brother used to work there making them. He designed that Mad dog frame. He's the one that can ride real fast (raced down Telonics a few times). I take it fairly easy around here, although I have bombed the kamikazi a few times (FUN!). San Juan trail is cool too. :cool:

Jordy
10-29-2002, 09:59 PM
Hey SD, was that picture taken about the same time as this one?
http://www.rivertoys.com/images/fun_images/sd_ski1978.jpg
RR sure hasn't aged much in over 20 years. :D

Beautiful Noise
10-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Man "O" Man ........Andy sure does get around..lol :D
Steve

rivercutie
10-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Lets see I was 5 years old so most likely I would be riding my little 70 ATC, or being beat up by my big brother :)

Liberator TJ1984
10-30-2002, 04:59 AM
If I could remember back that far :D alzheimers is starting to set in...oh wait ...working in the oilfield business...still in it today.... :confused: what happened to me ????

XTRM22
10-30-2002, 06:39 AM
20 years ago, I was workin part time in a diesel garage, and four wheelin my 72 Jeep Pickup every chance I got. Anybody else remember the days when there was a mudbog run every weekend, somewhere? In fact one of the best ones I ran in was in a meadow in Prescott Valley that is currently about where B-rad502's house sits.
Chuck wink

hot_diggity_dog
10-30-2002, 06:56 AM
Wow that was so long ago. I use to surf Newport Beach everyday. Old surf picture of me in 1981
HDD http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/newport_circa_1981.JPG

MikeF
10-30-2002, 07:21 AM
rivercutie:
Lets see I was 5 years old so most likely I would be riding my little 70 ATC, or being beat up by my big brother :) RC, I used to beat my little brothers too. Now, if so inclined, they could wup my ass. :rolleyes:

Tee
10-30-2002, 08:09 AM
20 years ago? I was in my senior year. Wondering what the hell it was going to take to get a 12 pack and laid for the weekend :D

VitaminSea
10-30-2002, 09:40 AM
HMMM! 2o years ago was just back from a year and one-half working in Japan. Had my own drywall and steel stud framing business in Phoenix and skiing and partying at Lake Apache in my 23' Sleekcraft jet. Cliff

diggler
10-30-2002, 09:59 AM
20 years ago.... 1982. I was in seventh grade living on the shores of Lake Erie in Michigan. Wasn't into boats completely yet as I wasn't allowed to drive. I think the "wet-bike" came out that year didn't it?

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 10:00 AM
MikeF:
Got any cool or funny pics of you and your friends from the past?? :D :D That's cool Mike. I guess we're close to the same age being that I used to have OP shorts too. I never mastered the tabletop like that. Used to just go off ramps and get lots of air, but didn't do anything while I was up there. Of course, the fact that the ramp was on asphalt had a lot to do with it. Remember all the cool frames like "Race Inc.", "PK Ripper", "GT" and "Hutch". Those were the frames to have back then. And the cool CW handlebars with AME grips and the Elite seats that weighed all of 10 ounces....
The good old days. I'll scan some pics tomorrow.

diggler
10-30-2002, 10:15 AM
78Elim, remember RedLine, and Mongoose? I had a mongoose with a double-goosneck and had snakebelly tires on it. The whole frame was...ooooo - Chrom-oly. ha ha! Yeah, I remember all that stuff!

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 10:24 AM
diggler:
78Elim, remember RedLine, and Mongoose? I had a mongoose with a double-goosneck and had snakebelly tires on it. The whole frame was...ooooo - Chrom-oly. ha ha! Yeah, I remember all that stuff!Remember when "Oakley" was just a grip maufacturer and the dreaded Oakley Blades were yet to be invented. I used to spend hours in the bike shop, drooling. I still have my Race Inc. bike.....

JazzyJes
10-30-2002, 10:26 AM
I was a year old.Oh, my gosh I'm old. :D

THOR
10-30-2002, 10:30 AM
I was in 5th grade.

JetBoatRich
10-30-2002, 10:40 AM
1st year out of High school, what do you think I was doing. A little freedom, then I realized things cost money and been working every since. :D

Desert Rat
10-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Cruisin Northern California lakes in my 19 ½ foot 455 Olds 1975 Tahiti with a get this…………a VELOCITY stack!!

AZKC
10-30-2002, 11:10 AM
I was 24 had my own Exxon station(bankrupted that in 2 years), been married 5 years, had a 2year old son, 77 Chevy 4x4 on 38.5 mudders, 18ft Kona with 454 that lived at Apache Lake, wife was rollin a 68 vette 427. Damn what the hell happened? :confused:
KC
[ October 30, 2002, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: AZKC ]

ROZ
10-30-2002, 11:13 AM
78Eliminator
Remember all the cool frames like "Race Inc.", "PK Ripper", "GT" and "Hutch". Those were the frames to have back then. And the cool CW handlebars with AME grips and the Elite seats that weighed all of 10 ounces....
The good old days. I'll scan some pics tomorrow.[/QB]Funny you should mention those mfg.'s. Two of the bikes I have in my parent's garage are Hutch experts. One chrome(only came chrome) with blue anodized Race Inc. handlebars, a blue Uni seat, and waffer rims with comp III's as treads. The other, which was converted into a freestyle bike in the early 90's, had CW bars, a black ultra lite Uni seat, and Araya rims (stickers and all)wrapped with compIII's. I had Hutch "Beartrap" pedals on them, but later switched to KMM (?) flattop pedals similar to the ones MikeF has in his picture.....Mom got tired of my bleeding shins from the traps.
I loved racing BMX.....
P.S. Also had Quad angle and Ripper frames :D
ET made the Kuahara famous......
Schwinn Preditor was also a nice bike.

Schiada76
10-30-2002, 11:27 AM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. eek!

RiverToysJas
10-30-2002, 11:49 AM
I did find this photo of my Dad taken about 25 years ago while he, Mom and I were out 4-wheeling.
http://www.rivertoys.com/images/fun_images/dadscjWP.jpg

MikeF
10-30-2002, 12:35 PM
AZKC, I still hope you have that Vette :D .
That bike I'm on is a Hutch expert. Broke that one a long time ago. Now I have a Hutch trick star. I've been looking on ebay for an 80s GT frame. That was the best frame I had ever ridden (broke it to, but it was the best). Those pedals are Shimano DX! (the only pedals to have) :D W/ Vans shoes, they were the best! Hutch Beartraps looked evil. I didn't want those finding my shins (DX's still did some damage though). Those are CW bars too. Again, the only ones that didn't bend. I have Bottema forks to and I thought that they would hold up to the abuse.....nope, bent!
Oakley was the shit back then too. I still got some stickers. oops, I think I gave those to the grom.
ROZ, are you a stuffies fan too? I saw that you listen to Ned's A.D. Bin?
RTJ, You sure they weren't working on you out there? Is that what they call 4wheelin :D .

RiverToysJas
10-30-2002, 12:42 PM
MikeF:
RTJ, You sure they weren't working on you out there? Is that what they call 4wheelin :D .LOL!!! No, I actually remember that trip! I was about 7, I'd guess. That "trail" was so over grown with thorn bushes, NASTY shit!!! Fun though!!! :D Pop's old CJ-5 Willys was a great little toy, I wish he still had it.

Jordy
10-30-2002, 01:04 PM
78Eliminator:
Remember all the cool frames like "Race Inc.", "PK Ripper", "GT" and "Hutch". Those were the frames to have back then. I had a Hutch with sealed 3 piece cranks, sealed Hutch hubs, Uni seat, Comp 3 tires and the shin and calf killing bear trap pedals. Had a GT with about the same stuff. Remember the "Torker" frames? I had a buddy with on, with sew up tires, Redline Flight cranks, you name it. Whole bike weighed like 13 pounds. Broke all the time too though. He finally gave up on it becuase the welds weighed more than the frame itself.

ROZ
10-30-2002, 01:25 PM
jordanpaulk
Whole bike weighed like 13 pounds. Broke all the time too though. He finally gave up on it becuase the welds weighed more than the frame itself.There was a young kid (7 or 8yrs) from the neighborhood who raced for Race Inc. His bike weighed somewhere between 9 and 12 lbs! You name it, it was drilled out...Frame set, handle bar, seat and post, cranks, rims, and number plate. eek!
You guys got me in the mood to break out the bike and do a little "freestyle" tonight! BUT, I think I'll carve the pumpkins with my daughter before I go and break any bones. :D
Anyone know what a bubaka is? Anyone have a ramp? hehehe :cool:

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 01:31 PM
ROZ:
jordanpaulk
Whole bike weighed like 13 pounds. Broke all the time too though. He finally gave up on it becuase the welds weighed more than the frame itself.There was a young kid (7 or 8yrs) from the neighborhood who raced for Race Inc. His bike weighed somewhere between 9 and 12 lbs! You name it, it was drilled out...Frame set, handle bar, seat and post, cranks, rims, and number plate. eek!
You guys got me in the mood to break out the bike and do a little "freestyle" tonight! BUT, I think I'll carve the pumpkins with my daughter before I go and break any bones. :D
Anyone know what a bubaka is? Anyone have a ramp? hehehe :cool:

Her454
10-30-2002, 01:55 PM
Was 2 Years out of High School. Living in the desert and skiing the river in my brothers 73 Tahiti Jet in the summer and playing at Buttercup, Glamis and El Golfo in the winter with my Blazer and 250R that broke my ankle later that year on Thanksgiving weekend! :D
Some things never change! After all these years Im still a sand and river rat.

SchellSchock
10-30-2002, 02:40 PM
20 Years Ago???? At my age I can't remember what I was doing Yesterday!!!!!Grin

Seadog
10-30-2002, 02:57 PM
Same wife. Same employer (different job). Two year old mobile home and new truck. The boat was a Coleman (canoe). If you had asked about thirty years ago, I could have told some interesting tales.

6 balls
10-30-2002, 03:40 PM
If I remember correctly, I was the proud co-owner of my first boat and driving a really bitchen Chevy van :cool:
http://members.cox.net/dladair/images/1stboat.jpg
http://members.cox.net/dladair/images/chevyvan.jpg
Doug :cool:

Blown Olds
10-30-2002, 03:47 PM
SHIT I WAS DOING TIME AND LEARNIN HOW TO TATTOO. :cool: :cool: :cool:

CrazyHippy
10-30-2002, 07:48 PM
I was running around being a brat (kinda like now)only 3yrs old at the time.
BJH

Fiat48
10-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Not sure if I can get this old picture up, but 20 years ago at Red Bluff, California. You might say I was "testing" lifelines jacket to see if it really did float. Or "Are these rescue guys really as fast at getting to a boat in trouble as they claim?" Does it matter if your body breaks the win light ahead of the boat?
In case you are wondering, it was a brand new strut that broke. The lifeline jacket passed the test. Today we would sue the strut manufacturer but in 1982, it was just a part of racing.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats/DSCF0001.JPG

Havasu Doug
10-30-2002, 08:07 PM
6 balls:
If I remember correctly, I was the proud co-owner of my first boat and driving a really bitchen Chevy van :cool:
Doug :cool: Ok, 6 balls has the best pics so far! :D
Here's my 20 year old pic. I'm the kid behind the driver.
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/millerton1sm.jpg

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 08:08 PM
6 balls:
http://members.cox.net/dladair/images/1stboat.jpg
http://members.cox.net/dladair/images/chevyvan.jpg
Doug :cool: Dude, that's a bad ass picture. I wish I was born in 1962 instead of 1972. I bet you used to have a roach clip that attached to your cowboy hat. You shred. I saved that pic. Not being sarcatic either. I remember seeing dudes like you at the river in kick ass jet boats listening to Jimi when I was a young pup thinking "what's that wierd smell" and "I want some of that shit they're smoking" but I was with my folks and they probably wouldn't let me take a drag anyway.

77charger
10-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Havasu Doug:
6 balls:
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/millerton1sm.jpghavasu doug do you still own that boat?i have a pic of our first day out in my jet boat from when my dad bought it about in 79-80 i just need to scan it.and i still have the same boat today til my brother picks it up.

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 08:25 PM
~!
[ October 31, 2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Havasu Doug
10-30-2002, 08:29 PM
77charger:
Havasu Doug:
6 balls:
http://www.havasudoug.com/images/millerton1sm.jpghavasu doug do you still own that boat?i have a pic of our first day out in my jet boat from when my dad bought it about in 79-80 i just need to scan it.and i still have the same boat today til my brother picks it up.That's cool that your boat's been in the family for it's whole life. :) As far as the one pictured above, it was my uncle's. He died about 10 years ago and I don't know whatever happened to the boat. I want to contact my cousins though for more info and pics. Can someone identify the maker by the hull shape? :confused:

NorCal Gameshow
10-30-2002, 08:47 PM
JazzyJes:
I was a year old.Oh, my gosh I'm old. :D ouch!!! I was trying find the best happy hour food...

77charger
10-30-2002, 09:09 PM
i have to say 6 balls has the best pic too.That is way to classic.i wonder what my current pics are going to look like in 20.Will be cool to look back at my current stuff today.

78Eliminator
10-30-2002, 09:13 PM
~!
[ October 31, 2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

DetroitJim
10-31-2002, 05:36 AM
What was I doing? I can barely remember...
Living in a rented cottage on a lake
Partying at the sandbar every day
Driving up to MSU to do a hot little blonde
Smoking lots of fatties
Runnin' my 64 GTO at Motor City Dragway
4 wheeling in northern Michigan
Going to the drag boat races at Holloway
I miss those days sometimes but right now's pretty damn good too.
DJ

RiverGypsy
11-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Mmmmmmmmm twenty years ago, I was having the time of my life, met the love of my life...partying on the beaches of Florida! Cruising in my Formula Firebird T-tops off of course, playing quarters, dancing, tearing it up from Jax Beach to West Palm ...there are no pictures....that would be incriminating evidence! ha ha!!
[ November 01, 2002, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: RiverGypsy ]

sandblasted
11-01-2002, 08:45 PM
Well, I'm 40 now...20 years ago I was smoking way too much weed (mostly Fallbrook Sinsemella and Thai Stick) and drinking too much beer..Still drink beer but stopped smoking bud when I was 21...
Sure wish I was hanging out at the river 20 years ago but then again I couldn't afford a boat back then...Guess i just have to make up for lost time!!

flat broke
11-02-2002, 09:20 AM
MikeF:
AZKC, I still hope you have that Vette :D .
That bike I'm on is a Hutch expert. Broke that one a long time ago. Now I have a Hutch trick star. I've been looking on ebay for an 80s GT frame. That was the best frame I had ever ridden (broke it to, but it was the best). Those pedals are Shimano DX! (the only pedals to have) :D W/ Vans shoes, they were the best! Hutch Beartraps looked evil. I didn't want those finding my shins (DX's still did some damage though). Those are CW bars too. Again, the only ones that didn't bend. I have Bottema forks to and I thought that they would hold up to the abuse.....nope, bent!
Oakley was the shit back then too. I still got some stickers. oops, I think I gave those to the grom.
ROZ, are you a stuffies fan too? I saw that you listen to Ned's A.D. Bin?
RTJ, You sure they weren't working on you out there? Is that what they call 4wheelin :D .Mike,
This thread kicks ass. Remember going to the Vans store and angling for as many free stickers as you could get your hands on? Ordering your custom Vans? About 20 years ago, I got my first decent frame by hagling and bartering bike parts. A Hutch trickstar. It was nickel plated, and was a heavy pig of a bike with less than stellar geometry. Not long after, I manged to get my hands on a Redline XL custom frame, the thing was sweet. Super nice detail work on the drop outs and machining on the head tube, closed end tubing with tiny weep holes to vent condensation; probably the nicest frame I ever owned. I think that was also the first bike I raced ABA with. We raced at Elsinore, coal canyon, and temecula after Elsinore closed. Somehow I missed the legendary Ascot BMX track in Gardena. After the Redline I bought my first complete "cool" bike. I finally stepped up to a GT. I thought I was the shit and loved GTs geometry. Then a brief stint with a Diamond back Reactor (the cranks looked cool and were solid billet, but they wore too quickly) led way to another short rear triangle frame... The new Mongoose wishbone frames. The thing was heavier than needed, but was awesome for coaster wheelies. I was getting taller, and that bike was a little too sketchy, so my last ride was another GT. I couldn't afford real deal flights, so I added a set of Peregrine 3pcs that worked pretty well, sealed hubs, DK stem, GT pro series bars (had that bend on almost every bike), and 44/16 gearing. I ran that same gear setup on everything I rode once I started racing. The highest ranking I ever pulled was 27th in my district (ABA CA-16 if I can remember right) By then I was late into middle school, and I loved rolling up to the bike rack every morning with my legit #27 on my plate. :)
Probably too much information for most folks, but the thread got me to thinking. Riding my 20 kept me out of a ton of trouble, gave me something to work on, take care of, and be proud of. During all that time I also skated but was always better off on a bike.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Mike, maybe I'll pull out my mtn bike and go for a spin this afternoon. :) BTW, let me check, but I think we may still have 2 GT framesets in our possesion. They were the ones when GT first started putting that slant on the rear wishbone after the seat tube, and stamping their logo in em. I'd love to find one of the slightly earlier ones with the straight cut wishbone and no logo. I would probably kill myself on one now though. A while back, I aired up the tires on a Free Agent (back when they were of cult status and hard to come by) beater in the front of the garage and almost flipped the damn thing trying to bunnyhop a curb. :)
What I'd give to have my largest worry be that aching feeling in your stomach right before a race. "riders up, riders ready, watch the light".
Chris

fat rat
11-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Living and working in central Calif.......more living than working, lots of time, no money and now......got money and no time. Whats a man to do? frown

jimmieleeraybob
11-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Twenty years ago...I was just a mere child! Can't remember what the heck I was doing then. wink

MikeF
11-02-2002, 01:13 PM
flat broke:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Mike, maybe I'll pull out my mtn bike and go for a spin this afternoon. ) BTW, let me check, but I think we may still have 2 GT framesets in our possesion. They were the ones when GT first started putting that slant on the rear wishbone after the seat tube, and stamping their logo in em. I'd love to find one of the slightly earlier ones with the straight cut wishbone and no logo.I should have called you earlier :rolleyes: . I met up w/ SD013 this morning and we did a freeride up in the hills of Irvine park :cool: .
I remember all those parts! I'd be looking for one of the GT's w/ the flat end on the top tube.
I break out the bike every so often to make sure I can still do those 360's, trashcan bunnyhops and curb endo's. Balance ain't quite what it used to be :rolleyes: .
It's all downhill (mountainbike) from here :p !
:D :D

superdave013
11-02-2002, 03:21 PM
MikeF:
I should have called you earlier :rolleyes: . I met up w/ SD013 this morning and we did a freeride up in the hills of Irvine park :cool: .
I remember all those parts! I'd be looking for one of the GT's w/ the flat end on the top tube.
I break out the bike every so often to make sure I can still do those 360's, trashcan bunnyhops and curb endo's. Balance ain't quite what it used to be :rolleyes: .
It's all downhill (mountainbike) from here :p !
:D :D [/b][/QUOTE]
Mike, Was good putting your face with the screan name today.
You say your balance ain't what it used to be hu? Looked like you've still got it to me brother. Mike F made short work going down this rock face today. And yes, it's steeper then it looks. :D
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~superdave013/santiago8.jpg
We should all get 24" cruiser frames and race with the kids on Wensday nights! What fun that would be.
[ November 02, 2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

flat broke
11-02-2002, 04:26 PM
superdave013:
We should all get 24" cruiser frames and race with the kids on Wensday nights! What fun that would be.I used to have a Race Inc aluminum cruiser frame that we bought for my dad to build a bike on. Don't exactly know what happened to it, but it was deffinitely period correct with blue anodizing and chrome chromeoloy forks. :) I'm just a tad heavier than I used to be so I think the kids down at the Orange YMCA would smoke my ass. I can remember when there wouldn't be enough 15yr old riders at Coal Canyon and they'd throw the veteran cruiser class guys into our heat. Always entertaining when you had kids and adults on the gate together. The younger guys usually snaped better starts and got to the 1st berm faster, but lost out to the older dudes in the end.
It'd be cool to get another Giant frame with the same geometry as my hard tail and set it up as a single speed hucker. Probably bump that gearing down to 42/15 though wink I did pull the bike out of the shed today and took a spin around the hood after we got done prepping my block, working on my dad's ride, and grabing some lunch. It looks like I better get some more seat time before I head out with you two and your 8" of travel front and back :D
Do either of you guys ever ride at Whiting Ranch in So. OC? I heard it gets a little crowded but has varying terrain so that I could probably take Em.
Talk to you later,
Chris

MikeF
11-02-2002, 07:14 PM
superdave013
We should all get 24" cruiser frames and race with the kids on Wensday nights! What fun that would be.[/QB]Borrowed bike (Hutch), same day! :D
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/24table.JPG
I think the grom has one that needs a few parts. :cool:
Chris, Whiting isn't too far away and I ride there when I need to get out local. We'll call you for the next ride (San Juan trail (on Ortega), or ?. It'll happen :D !
[ November 02, 2002, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: MikeF ]

superdave013
11-02-2002, 07:51 PM
I know Whiting very well also. I think that might be a bit much for Em. The first trail is not too bad but it dumps into a fire road (Mustard RD) that's a ball buster hill. After you get to the top of that it's pretty much all downhill. If you want to ride with Em. I would go to Chino Hills. If you want some one to show you guys around I'll be glad to do it any time.
But you should come out with just the boys sometime to hit some of the more challenging stuff the OC has to offer. Trust me, you don't want to take your GF on that stuff unless she's a pretty good rider. My wife broke her are on a MTB and it really sucked. Now she knows I can do dishes and run the vacuum!
Mike, I'll suffer through a San Juan ride anytime. I wanna get some more use of my Forest pass this year.

flat broke
11-02-2002, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the input on Whiting guys. If it gets remotely challenging without an easier path alternative, I can't take Em. She's a trooper, but to give you an idea, Ty and I spent the better part of an hour laughing our asses off last year watching her try to pop wheelies. :D Its amazing the body mechanics you take for granted when you are used to riding a bike.
Riding with you guys could be disastrous in multiple senses. 1. I swapped back to a hardtail after my trusty RTS got jacked out of the burban, so there is some stuff that takes more balls than I'm willing to front without full suspension. 2. I've seen Dave's "beater" and if I catch the itch, I could see myself drooling over a setup like that. 3. The most disturbing of all, the ensuing activity might alter my near perfect physique. :D
Seriously though, it sounds like fun, but I better get some seat time before heading out with you guys on your next spin. You piqued my interest with the statement about cruisers though. I wonder if the we would be allowed on the track during practice nights with our current rigs?
I'll have to try and coax Em out to PV or Aliso Woods tomorrow.
Chris

superdave013
11-03-2002, 06:02 AM
Alliso is pretty wicked too. I'm telling ya, Chino is the place for her. That's where I take all the newbies.
Enough of this full supension stuff. I ride with lots of guys on single speed hardtails. That San Juan tril that Mike's talking about has a long kick ass downhill section but it's so smooth that my beast is way overkill and I would take my smaller bike.

Tinkerer
11-03-2002, 08:29 PM
I was boating
http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/data/507/376132456415wMOYvf_ph-med.jpg
[ November 03, 2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Tinkerboater ]

H4215
11-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Great thread Mike, I wasn't as hardcore as you guys with the BMX but I remember Oakley, Haro, Redline, Kuwahara, Mongoose and Stroker (I was real surprised no one mentioned this one earlier). I was 14, and just getting into hangin' out at the arcade playing some Defender. We would pimp for California Coolers and Lowenbrau. Here are some more names brands that came to mind; OP, Lightning Bolt, Stubbies, Vans (at least 3 pair: one pair of checkered slip-ons, a pair of high tops, and a pair of plain white lace ups with the blue bottom for your dress OP cords), T&C, and Mr. Zoggs. About 20 years ago Nike was just about to break, Sperry Topsiders and the Prep Movement was looming large on the horizon. Remember I grew up in a small town compared to SD, OC, and LA so we probably were a little behind; but not by much. This thread has brought back a rush of memories, thanks.

kanedog
11-09-2002, 01:58 AM
Skipping school,smoking 5-7 joints a day,running away from home,stealing parents cars when i was at home,bmx,bmx, bmx-gt,mongoose and race inc.
We rode so much that I still have the callouses on my hands today.360,rock walks,bunny hops(onto cars,that was dumb now that I think about it). I was 14 yrs old.

MikeF
11-09-2002, 07:58 AM
:cool: Yeah....I remember those callouses! I still do the rockwalks (I was trying to remember what they were called last time I was out doing it wink ).
I had bought a 69 Camaro w/ a 3 spd stick before I was even legal to drive. Took it out when the parents were in Hawaii. When I pulled back into the driveway I proceeded to scratch up the side of the 57 Chevy that my dad had at the time (OOPS!).
Remember going down to Laguna rocks w/ friends to drink Bartells and James coolers too (along w/ the bottles of champagne).
Also, the 3 hour Foozeball tournaments at the arcades along w/ the other party favors :D .
Some good times! Need to make some more! :D :cool:

bordsmnj
11-09-2002, 10:20 PM
any of you race BMX at the orange ymca track back in 82?? i was 12 back then and still have scars on my shins from my shimono dx pedals. they where the best ones though. how about liberty park in westminster? i'll get some pics of that and maybe figure out how to post them after work tomorrow. got old (OLD!) skate and surf pics too somewhere.

Havasu Doug
11-09-2002, 10:29 PM
bordsmnj:
any of you race BMX at the orange ymca track back in 82?? i was 12 back then and still have scars on my shins from my shimono dx pedals. they where the best ones though. how about liberty park in westminster? i'll get some pics of that and maybe figure out how to post them after work tomorrow. got old (OLD!) skate and surf pics too somewhere.Some friends of mine from work have raced BMX at the Orange YMCA track as recently as last year and the're not kids. One is around 32 and the other around 42. It's something the 32 year old can do with his kids and the 42 year old while he's not racing real motocross. It's pretty funny to watch too. :D

LVjetboy
11-10-2002, 01:10 AM
I was 27. My ride...sweet huh? :)
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/MyRide.gif
My other ride...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/MyOtherRide.gif
On leave...
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/Stoner.gif
:)
jer

Moomawnster
11-10-2002, 03:07 AM
700 mile days on my BMW R90s ...Heading for Sturgis :D eek!

24ROD
11-10-2002, 05:04 AM
20 years ago I was towing 24RODjr around the lake skiing. Well I guess nothing has changed in 20 years wink

Banshee
11-10-2002, 06:44 AM
Well kinda funny question for me since it's my 37th birthday today. 20 years ago I was riding dirt bikes (Yamaha YZ250), constantly fixing up my 69 Mustang, smoking pot, drinking beer and spanking my monkey over all the hot girls I couldn't get my hands on.

fat rat
11-10-2002, 08:23 AM
Moomawnster:
700 mile days on my BMW R90s ...Heading for Sturgis :D eek! /4 or 5 ?

HOSS
11-10-2002, 08:41 AM
6 balls, 20 years ago puts us in the 80`s. Sure your not in the seventies. Earth shoes, damn I`m gettin` old.
1982, freshman in high school. Ozzy, Judas Priest. Nursing bad road rash from XL125 that I wiped into a car. Had plenty of time to get my shit together and concentrate on a career. Shit, I`m still saying that and that`s 20 years later.
Dixie beer, quarts, mickey`s big mouths, Acapulco Gold, Blue Hawaian, and about 24 other names for weed! Another detention to forge mom`s name on. Tryin` to figure out a way to get laid every waking moment but gettin` no where fast.
Gonna bomb Iran, shit the more things change the more they don`t!

Moomawnster
11-10-2002, 12:44 PM
fat rat:
Moomawnster:
700 mile days on my BMW R90s ...Heading for Sturgis :D eek! /4 or 5 ?Hey Rat ! the R90S was a cafe race model BMW made in 74-76 they were the quickest factory twins made those years .....

Wicky
11-10-2002, 12:53 PM
MikeF:
Got any cool or funny pics of you and your friends from the past?? :D :D Remember the Wheaties commercial with the kid on the Webco jumping over the doubles singing "Before I race on my two wheelies-I get the eaties for my wheaties!"
That was me. 21 years ago riding at the BMX track over by Ascott Raceway. I too, had tuffwheels and they were the only rims I never broke beyond recognition! Bike is still at my parents house in Claremont.
I bought a new YZ 80 with the money!
[ November 10, 2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

boatnam2
11-10-2002, 01:08 PM
wicky did you ride motocross at ascott,i raced alot in the mid to late 70's ascott wed night,irwindale thursday night,indian dunes friday night,saddleback saturday, and carlsbad sunday. started screwing up alot and my dad started pinching back my funds to run.last time i raced ascott was 1986 .i also raced terminal island,escape country,orange county in the mid 70's.i remember seeing jeff ward for the first time at escape country he was hauling ass,thats when they still raced 100cc.i think he had a 125 in a 100 frame.

MikeF
11-10-2002, 01:20 PM
W, I think I remember that commercial. :cool: The Webco's were the 1st bmx frames that were to set the pace for the rest of the manufacturers.
Hope you have a video tape of that :D .
Jeff Ward used to live around the corner from our house. He had this killer red Porsche turbo!
:cool:

mbrown2
11-10-2002, 04:00 PM
20 Years ago (14), I was just getting out of BMX..I had been racing since I was about 7 and I started losing interest as I got into sports my first year into high school.
Used to race Azusa BMX all the time...but also went to Orange County (I think on Lincoln) and a couple of nationals in Chandler and Phoenix...the coolest track of the day was Corona; used to race the Big Momma..Mother's day race...that was an insane downhill.
Raced a CMC when I was young and then started kicking ass once I started Racing a JMC...Jim Melton from JMC built me a one-off with Profab Alloy forks, Teflon Headsets (no bearings) and all Campy gear that was later stolen; they stripped everything, but we found it and restored it..wish I still had it. JMC's still pull in big money on Ebay and I would like to restore another with all old school parts..After the JMC I raced a GT for the last couple of years with all Bullseye and Dura-ace stuff...Wow..this thread brings back memories.

JetBoatRich
11-10-2002, 06:08 PM
Fiat48:
Not sure if I can get this old picture up, but 20 years ago at Red Bluff, California. You might say I was "testing" lifelines jacket to see if it really did float. Or "Are these rescue guys really as fast at getting to a boat in trouble as they claim?" Does it matter if your body breaks the win light ahead of the boat?
In case you are wondering, it was a brand new strut that broke. The lifeline jacket passed the test. Today we would sue the strut manufacturer but in 1982, it was just a part of racing.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Raceboat_Arenas/Drag_Boats/DSCF0001.JPGIs that a body below?

picklefork1
11-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Living in Lomita on Oak street goin to Eshleman Elementary School as a 4th. grader and trying to get the neighbor kids to teach me how to surf.
Growing up by the beach was great but I wouldn't trade it for the 909 BABY YEAH!!!!!! D :D :D :D

JetBoatRich
11-10-2002, 06:39 PM
picklefork1:
Living in Lomita on Oak street goin to Eshleman Elementary School as a 4th. grader and trying to get the neighbor kids to teach me how to surf.
Growing up by the beach was great but I wouldn't trade it for the 909 BABY YEAH!!!!!! D :D :D :D I lived on Oak St in Lomita, a few years ago. My first year I found out what the Lomita fair was about. I worked in that city for 14 years.

boatnam2
11-10-2002, 07:24 PM
picklefork small world i lived in lomita back then for awhile,it was a long time ago but i think it was 255th and oak there was a little liquor store on was ever street arlington turns into just before pch lived right behind it.

lambertjr
11-10-2002, 07:35 PM
Let's see?? 1982. I was a junior in high school figuring out how to pass a english lit. class, ask my high school dream girl out, keep the local school bullies from trying to kick my ass everyday, lusting over 4 really HOT teachers, and comonig up with new ways to sleep in class without being caught. :D

JetBoatRich
11-10-2002, 07:48 PM
boatnam2:
picklefork small world i lived in lomita back then for awhile,it was a long time ago but i think it was 255th and oak there was a little liquor store on was ever street arlington turns into just before pch lived right behind it.Yes small world, I lived 1/2 block from PCH on Oak in a Duplex.

JetBoatRich
11-10-2002, 07:50 PM
boatnam2:
picklefork small world i lived in lomita back then for awhile,it was a long time ago but i think it was 255th and oak there was a little liquor store on was ever street arlington turns into just before pch lived right behind it.Forgot to mention the BEER garden for the Lomita Fair was the other side of our block wall. To get home we just jumped the wall.

Wicky
11-11-2002, 02:21 PM
Hope you have a video tape of that :D .
:cool: [/QB][/QUOTE]
No video! :confused:
No Boatnam, I only rode the BMX track there but, I still remember the Bruce Penhall crew being there!!
[ November 11, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

boatnam2
11-11-2002, 07:51 PM
no wicky i wish i did,hows idaho?we sent missb's daughter to my moms house in kuna for a few months of fresh mountian air she is freezing her ass off.hey jbr what was the name of the store at the corner of pch i remember going there all the time.we had a giant avacado tree that hung over the top of our house and the liquor store i remember jumping on the roof of the store and bombing cars at night.

MikeF
11-12-2002, 12:26 PM
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Forum_Graphic_Depot/24table.JPG
That kid on the far left of the group is Cameron Steele (Bluetorch/X games) :cool: . He was not going big then. When he was driving the 1600 offroad buggies and before he broke both of his arms in Mexico eek! on the mx bike was when he was going BIG.

Wicky
11-12-2002, 01:13 PM
boatnam2
[QB]no wicky i wish i did,hows idaho?we sent missb's daughter to my moms house in kuna for a few months of fresh mountian air she is freezing her ass off.QB]Idaho is good. Kinda reminds me of SoCal. Just a little bit different weather without the surf.
People are good here. I don't miss the graffiti or all the lame gangbaning drive-bys. I do miss all my family and friends though. Tuna fishing.
90 degrees in January. Glamis/Dumont. Mexico. I better stop before I talk myself into moving back.
I was actually in Kuna saturday night. Have you been there?