PDA

View Full Version : Dad, Follow That Boat !!

Trailer Park Casanova
07-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Our 16 year daughter lives for Parker.
Wakeboarding, beach club: "Ya just wear your Bikini all the time everywhere" as she put it to her friends, socializing with boys, the warmth, music, camping with the RV,, she loves Parker.
I wonder how far you parents go with your daughters. I never take my eyes off her and she accepts it, not crazy about it though.
We're members of Emerald Cove at Parker, and the pool area "club" is a place the daughter and her friends love to hang out after a day on the water.
They socialize with boys their age, and I see nothing wrong in it,, but I have to occasionally shoo off an older creep or two.
I let her mix a little White Zin and club soda in a bottle and wonder if other parents let their kids drink a little too.
Just a little.
Her Bikinis superlow waistline is the style now,, and I ask myself if it's too low,,,,then I think of my parents berating me for long hair when I was her age,,,,
I don't believe in hiding you head in the sand, and act like things aren't going to happen.
I know boys want access to the "Vage", and I take the dad precautions,, but I think its up to the girls to help prevent that too.
Cruising on the river, the daughter and her girlfriends spotted a brutally handsome boy (as they put it) wakeboarding behind his families towerless deckboat.
"Dad follow that boat!" ,, and like the drone that I am for my daughter,, I turned around and we caught up to them floating. The girls reached for our towrope and offered the boy a "Tower Pull". He looked at his parents excited and they nodded and he bit. The girls had him.
Clever tactic I must say.
This kid could wakeboard. The best I've ever towed. Jumps as high as the tower and distances from outside the wake to outside the wake. Out came all the girls Video cameras and they taped the entire run.
The boys family followed and we chatted a little at the end of the run. then departed.
Never got his name,, the girls play their tapes of him constantly and say things about him then scream,,,
All they know is he lives the first house in the keys (think about it,, that could be one of many). When we pass the keys entrances,, all their pretty heads are scanning the homes,,,,They've got him built up to Brad Pitt status.
Maybe it's best to just let him be the mystery boy.
Just another river story, but the girls make me laugh all the time with things like this. It doesn't stop.
Do you let your kids drink at all???
I mean,, wine was always on the table when I was a kid, and at my friends houses too. No one ever said anything about the kids having a glass.
The daughters friends houses all are the same,, wine on the table,, and the kids can have a glass if they want. Maybe it's a Catholic family thing,, Damfino.
Bad comparison to let them have one at the river too???
Whaddaya think?
Come on,, the truth about your rules.
[ July 06, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]

Havasu Hangin'
07-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Trailer Park Casanova:
Do you let your kids drink at all?Yep. I even given them their own bottle.
But then again, they are only 1 and 2 1/2 years old. If they don't drink...they cry alot.

Moneypitt
07-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Hey DAD, sounds to me like you've got this parent thing down pretty good. The boats and water sports are certainly better than the couch potato non sports of so many of todays kids. Allowing your "little girl" to be herself, enjoy the summer, meet BOYS, and carryon with her friends about it, will, in my opinion, give her a great headstart with life in general. As far as an occasional "taste or two", you bet! My kids, from early teens on were told, "If you want to drink, drink at home". I knew where they were, who they were with, and what they were doing. They didn't have to "sneak" around, the attraction didn't involve getting away with something, didn't involve the police,( as so many of the kids activities today do,) and most importantly, allowed them to learn about these things in a controlled inviroment. I must admit though, the first time my "little girl" shed her top at the lake, I had to rethink the way she was brought up, Then I realized, she had watched her mother do the same thing for years!!!!My kids are grown now, and looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. ..Moneypitt

Mandelon
07-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Moneypitt, can we go to lake with your family??? :D

HOSS
07-06-2003, 10:04 AM
ROFLMAO! That was an awsome reply! :D :D :p

Moneypitt
07-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Mandelon, Sure, no problem, however you should know that the best measure of birth control for those of us over 50, is nudity!!!!!!

HighRoller
07-06-2003, 10:37 AM
We were strictly prohibited from drinking when we were kids,or at least that was the official policy.As we got closer to legal age there was some unofficial loosening of that rule as long as we were among other parents they knew.I'm looking forward to having kids,but only if they are boys and never get older than 10!!!Wait a sec,they might grow up to be like me....Dammit what a dilemma!!

Mandelon
07-06-2003, 11:28 AM
My Dad would give me sips of his Bourbon and soda if I wanted, but it was tough to take when you are little. My mom always drank straight gin.
My kids don't like beer, but they beg for Margaritas, Pina Coladas when we make them.
My son got a swig out of a Smirnoff Ice a couple of weeks ago....he liked that.
European countries are very liberal for minor drinking, bottle of wine is normal for dinner, the kids get a little bit. A little won't hurt them.

Jungle Boy
07-06-2003, 11:32 AM
TPC - I have a girl that will be 17 in one month and I feel your pain. I have always tried to be up front with her and try not to hide the obvious stuff. I let her have a drink or two at the house and she is smart enough not to drive if she is drinking. The boy thing is very worrysome though. All us guys know what was important at that age and it was not riviting conversation. I try to meet all her friends and let them know that I'm part of her life too. I hope that they respect that. Most of them are good guys and end spending time in the garage with me looking at the boats. What you are doing is great, I think. It's hard to let them have freedom and I'm always accused of being too smothering, but it's normal (I hope). I just recently bought her a car and now call her to come and get me when I drunk! She enjoys seeing all the buds and gets a kick out of getting ME home. Her friends will even offer to drive my truck home, which is very excellent. I had a good laugh the other day when I dropped her and 4 friends off at the river with a bunch of inner tubes. They were doing the same thing that I was doing at that age, except I was drinking beer and they just had water, so things aren't that bad I guess. Keep up the good work. :D

Jbb
07-06-2003, 12:00 PM
And now ....for the rest of the story!
The Wakeboarding wonder ....House in the Key's ....Mystery man....Brad Pitt status...............>....Riverdave!
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-42-52497-post_5_75800_bubbles.jpg
[ July 06, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: JETBOAT BRIAN ]

Jungle Boy
07-06-2003, 12:13 PM
I was wondering when that photo would show up here. It's a classic, for sure. :D

Moneypitt
07-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Oh yeah, right. Thats not him!!!!You can't fool me, That guy is Craven Moorehead, I've seen him before!!!..........Moneypitt

mike37
07-06-2003, 01:46 PM
I need to hook up with all you familly boaters
I have two boys 9&14 we boat a lot with friends
but most of them have no kids or there kids are
older some one needs to set up a family OP6C

Mandelon
07-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Mike, that is a good idea! idea :D

WetWillie
07-06-2003, 04:51 PM
JETBOAT BRIAN:
And now ....for the rest of the story!
The Wakeboarding wonder ....House in the Key's ....Mystery man....Brad Pitt status...............>....Riverdave!
http://www.havasubarney.com/iB_html/uploads/post-42-52497-post_5_75800_bubbles.jpg LMAO That is toooo funny... Thats the best picture yet!!
WW :D

TCHB
07-06-2003, 04:55 PM
One thing for sure is that if you forbid her to be a teenager she will sneak and do it anyway. Just try and be part of her life and enjoy her growing up. In a few short years she will leave to colledge and what she has learned will help her stay out of trouble. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

mike37
07-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Mandelon:
Mike, that is a good idea! idea :D next time your going to havasue let me know
mabe we can hook up for some family fun

SandbarScot
07-06-2003, 08:02 PM
TPC, I also have teenage daughters, take them to the river all the time (just got back) I'm 100% with you, except the alcohol...and I know I'm being hypocritical because I was drinking in Parker when I was a teenager. But I can't condone it!

SandbarScot
07-06-2003, 08:03 PM
TPC, I also have teenage daughters, take them to the river all the time (just got back) I'm 100% with you, except the alcohol...and I know I'm being hypocritical because I was drinking in Parker when I was a teenager. But I can't condone it!

SandbarScot
07-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Damn double post! :mad:

HighRoller
07-06-2003, 09:01 PM
I think the best thing you can do is watch when you can but instill in them a set of values that will guide them to make smart decisions in the face of temptation.My parents did,and I knew without a doubt that everything I did had a consequence of some sort whether it be from them or not.Guilt and shame are very motivating factors with children so when my parents raised me they made it clear what they EXPECTED,not what they hoped for.I think children will avoid a lot of bad things if they know you will be disappointed in them.

Waldo
07-07-2003, 07:14 AM
Dude, you let your daughter drink??? Just kidding. Sounds like you have a good relationship with her and her friends. I would suggest NEVER giving alcohol to any of her friends because you would be ultimately liable if anything happened.
Check out my Avatar. That's my 2 y/o finishing the last sip of my Corona. She loves beer and limes!
BTW, I hate thinking about what life is going to be like when my daughter is your daughter's age. How do you handle boyfriends (if she has/had any) and such? I plan on letting them know I have an extensive gun collection!!!! :D :D :D

Boozer
07-07-2003, 07:23 AM
I plan to try a few things to steer away boys or at least make them fear meif I ever have a girl.
First thing to do is clean the gun in front of the boy and invite him to go hunting. Make him aware that if he hurts your daughter in anyway you will both be going hunting and only one of you will be returning.
If this does not work then you can always resort to answering the door in fishnet stalkings and a teddy. If you answer the door holding a gun while wearing the above said items it will only intensify the over all effect.
Sounds like TPC has a good a kid and is doing an awesome job raising her. I'm sure she's a good judge of character and he doesn't have a lot to worry about.

Waldo
07-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Dude, you crack me up! I was planning on answering the door with my overalls on, hillbilly hat, billybob teeth, while holding a shotgun and playing Deliverance (that magical scene) on the tv.

riverbound
07-07-2003, 09:35 AM
When I started dating my wife. the first time I went to meet her parents pops was cleaning his guns, kind of backfired though because he didnt realize that I was also into guns andactually had a much larger collection than he did.

Ziggy
07-07-2003, 02:06 PM
mike37:
Mandelon:
Mike, that is a good idea! idea :D next time your going to havasue let me know
mabe we can hook up for some family fun I'll 3rd that Idea!!! All in favor say "Ay".
TPC--what a great soundin' dad you are---Daughters do touch the heart a lot differently than boys do for some reason and by the sounds of it you done did a good job(ongoing). My daughter is nearly 10 and the bond is amazing, my son is 20 and its a bit different but good too. As far as what you allow her is perfect. If you say something is a bad thing very likely they will sneak off to try it. I'd much rather be in touch with my child and allow certain "forbidden treats" so to speak, they'll trust you more and vice-versa. Being part of their lives instead of avoiding will keep your bond strong and trusting!
Way ta go!!

396_Z
07-07-2003, 02:52 PM
riverbound:
When I started dating my wife. the first time I went to meet her parents pops was cleaning his guns, kind of backfired though because he didnt realize that I was also into guns andactually had a much larger collection than he did. I've had that done to me too. Whats better is I have my CCW and just happened to be packing at the time. My date's old man was sitting there cleaning his 9mm telling me he's looking for a .40, I'm like, "hey check this one out, you might like it" while I pulled it out and cleared it to hand it to him.
When I was in my teen years the best deterrent was if she had older brothers. Especially if they we very large older brothers.

RotorHead
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
TPC,
I can't help but throw my $.02 in here, probably sounds pretty messed up from someone with no kids yet though. Sounds like you've got it very under control. Looking back on my younger years , dad would let me drink around him, mom would have a fit about it. But it kinda difused the situation. You realized drinkin really wasn't that big of a deal but you still had to be responsible about it. Like some one else posted, in Europe alot kids drink (Germany/kinderbeer)and it's not a big deal. Fewer people drive over there so you don't have as many DUI fatalities but they're more responsible about it at a younger age. That is what I saw while stationed in Heidelberg Germany. Ya tell a kid not to do somethin, & what is the first thing he/she goes out and tries? On another note, I'd like to thank you for the "family" story. It's cool to hear there is more to going to the river than just party'in & raisin hell.(can't give that up entirely though) Just gotta find the right lady to start my own.

Trailer Park Casanova
07-07-2003, 06:59 PM
I appreciate the cool replies.
Sometimes ya do the right thing with you kids,, then sometimes time tells ya that ya coulda handled things better.
We never let the daughter and her friends have a drink unless the friends parents are along and they give the OK.
Drinking for our daughter is a shot (1 0z) of white zin,, in 12 Oz of club soda.
A BFD to her.
A family OP6 is a great idea,, where do you even start in planing something like that???
My skullcap is off to RiverDave and crew for pulling off such an successfull event of that magnitude.
A family type event is a great idea...

Sherpa
09-01-2003, 02:30 PM
reading that story has me thinking. I have 3 girls. ages 6, and my oldest is 8. combined, we
have a blond, a redhead, and a brunette. all love
the water. they all just kneeboarded the first time up at shasta... glad to have the boat for the
family-vacations and such. but it's gonna be hard
for me when they're 14+........Hope I handle it as
well as you do.
--Sherpa

Trailer Park Casanova
09-01-2003, 02:49 PM
Sherpa:
reading that story has me thinking. I have 3 girls. ages 6, and my oldest is 8. but it's gonna be hard
for me when they're 14+........Hope I handle it as
well as you do.
--Sherpa I wish I still had a few that age.
It's going to be an empty feeling soon when she leaves.
What blindsided me was how much they want to be noticed by boys around age 12.
I wasn't expecting that.
Now, college brochures and offers in the mail.
Seems like I was building sandcastles with her last week,,, now I'm just in her way,,
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/939P8230029-med.JPG
Dialed in and headin' to the club at Parker.
It's great you got your girls kneeboarding.
Makes the boat investment seem more reasonable doesnt it?
As soon as one child is done , another one is ready to go,, then the next, then they're rested and ready for another round.
Sounds like they may be ready for the wakeboard,,

Dyce51
09-01-2003, 05:58 PM
well my kids are not old enough to drink yet but I can remember sitting down with my mom and dad and drinking an occasional beer with them from around 12 or 13 on..When I turned 18-21 it was no big deal to come home and have a few of my friends over to shoot some pool, B S with each other, and tip back a few beers. As long as no one got stupid or drunk my mom did not have a problem with it. So I dont think I would have a problem with my daughter haveing an occasional drink...Like my dad had told me before he had passed "I would rather you do it in front of me than to have you do it behind my back"

burbanite
09-01-2003, 07:13 PM
My babies are now young ladies. :cool:
They got back last night from a months vacation in Australia and New Zealand, revisited old schools and old friends, I watched the videos tonight and time has a strange way of allowing girls to become women...
There have been trials and tribulations. Early teen angst, searching for their individuality and their independence, not without some wrong choices I might add.
Take for example last New Years Eve. The eldest (16 at the time, 17 now) and some friends decide to go downtown for the night. All parents are dutifully informed of the fact that they are staying at each others houses...
Worked for about the first two hours then came the cell phone calls, eventually tracked them down at a rave in the city! My first thought was to drive down there and drag her not so truthful ass back to her mothers place but for some reason I chose another route.
I learned from her over the phone, (she got the guilts big time), that they had indeed had a drink, they had indeed had a cigarette, (something she detests vehemently) and holy shit, someone had handed them a joint and they went for it.
Already long story short, I found out where they intended to stay that night and set it up that that was exactly what was going to happen and that I would be checking on the hour, every hour.
None of them got a minute of sleep through the phone calls and the fear of what was going to happen when they eventually returned the next day. Suffice to say, lesson well learned and for good measure I kept my younger daughter (15 at the time) fully apprised of the proceedings so that she could see that I'll blindside you when you least expect it...
It was a long shot but my point was that you got yourself in this predicament, now you have time to think about it and the possible consequences, the next thing you need to do is make a decision about the remainder of the night...the choice is yours...

Trailer Park Casanova
09-01-2003, 09:47 PM
When our girl was 15, she was going to the movies, Disneyland, parties, functions ect with the son of a super famous Hollywood celib she met thru private school.
Wealthy beyond me buying my kid a new bike believe me.
His family was/is going through hell with stalkers, death threats from weirdos, bizarre people appearing in the house,,,kidnap attempts,,
Everywhere these kids went, off duty or retired cops accompanied them. Consealed carry is less of an issue when you have cops as security.
When we invited him to go along someplace with us, we always had cops along.
He's moved away, and the security with him. I think our daughter felt trapped and smothered in this situation and was going to cut it off because of this anyway.
So now I'm the asshole in her life once again. She isn't alone much,, and I usually have another campground parent watching her when we're in town.
Still, she calls me on that,,
We've let her drop us off at Fox's and pick us up a few times and she loves that.
Pretty soon it'll be time to break her dinner plate and she'll be gone,,
[ September 02, 2003, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Trailer Park Casanova ]