PDA

View Full Version : Depth/Fish Finder?

superV
02-03-2003, 01:35 PM
I noticed not to many people run fish finders on here. I know most boats come with a depth finder, but i cant help but wonder why peeps on the river do not use them. I know not many of us fish but they work great for just seeing whats down thier and where. Ant comments on this? :confused:

Blown 472
02-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Well since most of them are mounted on the back of the boat, at speed when the alarm went off, I would think it be too late.

superV
02-03-2003, 01:43 PM
Blown 472:
Well since most of them are mounted on the back of the boat, at speed when the alarm went off, I would think it be too late. True but they all can be mounted in the hull! And it good to cruz thur an area to check it out ect.And mine works good up to about 50mhp.The one i run has a 5x5 display and gives a cross sectional view of the bottom.

superV
02-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Inaddition you can program them at diff. search angles in order to shoot say at a 75° ect.So they will scan in front of the boat, 360°

superV
02-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Inaddition you can program them at diff. search angles in order to shoot say at a 75° ect.So they will scan in front of the boat, 360°

superV
02-03-2003, 01:47 PM
???? not sure what happen there!

spectras only
02-03-2003, 02:26 PM
I ran two types in the past. Lowrance 3500 LCD in dash model in my jetboat.The transducer was epoxied in the bilge [it has to be a solid layup to do the in bilge installation]and it registered all the time regardless of speed :) .New boats with balsa or foamcore bottoms don't work well with inside installations .I still have an older CRT display Ray Jefferson model [B & W ] ,outside mounting with paddle wheel for speed and temperature sensor.I can see the true shape of things in the bottom ,like there's a volkswagen beetle that rolled in a lake here at a lunchramp a while ago and left there.I don't think there's a sounder that could warn in advance fast enough to avoid hitting an underwater object while traveling at speeds over 50 MPH .I've encountered rocks in the middle of Georgia Straight and in Indian Arm [Burrard Inlet] shaped like a spike ,luckily went by at high tide with enough clearance underneath the hull :D :D

Stupid Fast
02-03-2003, 02:34 PM
I use a fish finder, Mine is in the back of the boat. In unfamiliar water I cruise arround at slow speeds and see what the bottom looks like. Then I speed it up. Nice thing about mine is it kinda gives a profile so you just check it a few times.

gnarley
02-03-2003, 04:16 PM
I use one, the boat had a thru hull transducer in it from the factory & found a great buy on a Lowrance X-85 & bought an adapter. Its kind of fun knowing whats under you & when in shallow water & you can see some really big fish but I know whats safe now for depth in the shallows & before I didn't.

superV
02-04-2003, 06:02 AM
Glad to see more people use them.And In the same way I do.I agree they will not give you enough warning time to miss something but is is cool just to see whats down thier.