PDA

View Full Version : froggystyle tridentboats not to topsecret!

jlnorthrup122
08-13-2003, 01:55 PM
I checked out your site to see your boat and all I saw of it was edited out why are you beeing so topsecret? this is the nautical industry I don't thing anyone will try to copy your boat! and I would like to see what you got I know it has to be good if you have chuck guy working on it! "hey give guy some shit about tooling a portable telephone! :D " But yeah I would like to see your boat out of curiosity I am not interested in stealing designs from you! :cool:
[ August 13, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

STIFFLER
08-13-2003, 02:38 PM
I here that Trident is going to blow away the present custom boat builders. Is this true?

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 02:41 PM
...hahahaha...he said "I don't think anyone will try to copy your boat".... :D What the **** do you think west coast boat building was built on??

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 02:43 PM
jlnorthrup122:
I checked out your site to see your boat and all I saw of it was edited out why are you beeing so topsecret? Most of the aspects of the new design are absolutely never done before things. I am a fledgling boat builder, who is using these things to make a big splash in a small pond. If someone were to get the shapes of what I am doing, the features of what I am doing and the utility of the Revolution to market before me... I would be able to sue them, but they would still be first to market, which could be everything in this industry.
I refuse to get splashed on my ideas. The industry should protect itself better than it does, but with everyone out to get a free lunch, everyone does it, so they would feel like hypocrites. Bottom line is, I have nothing that is a splash in my boat. I went to the originator for my supply, or I did it myself differently.
In addition, we are spending considerably more than any custom boat company I have ever heard of on development. Development of a "new" boat for some includes finding a bottom they like and building a new top. Which is fine, but the inbreeding has hurt development. What we found, after throwing a bunch of money and smart people at the problem was that tunnel boats in the mid size range as they are being built work very little like they are intended to. I know, because we started this project using current industry thinking and personnel, and found they had no more of an idea why things worked than I did, only that they worked. Once we modeled an awful lot of existing bottoms, and did a lot of math we decided to take a right turn at Albuquerque so to speak. That turn resulted in our bottom, which will work to the tune of 12-15% more efficiently at our designed speed range than a normal tunnel boat.
Translation: More speed, less motor, less cash, less complexity = more boat for your money, not just more motor.
Glad you enjoyed the site, and I will tell Chuck you said hi on Friday when I go up there again.

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 02:49 PM
Question Froggy, what about the use of dual pumps as you will be doing. 1 jet pump sucks a hell of alot of gas, what about this design utilizing 2?? I have been meaning to ask this question for some time and it is not intended directly for you but you happen to be incorporating it into your production...

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 03:05 PM
al cole'holic:
Question Froggy, what about the use of dual pumps as you will be doing. 1 jet pump sucks a hell of alot of gas, what about this design utilizing 2?? I have been meaning to ask this question for some time and it is not intended directly for you but you happen to be incorporating it into your production... One reason a jet sucks a lot of gas is that it is being used outside of it's designed range for the most part. A normal 12JG pump is really very efficient at low rpms. Much more so than a prop. The problem is, power use vs. RPM is an exponential curve. You may move double the water at 6000 than you will at 3000 (Let's pretend this is a perfect system for a minute, with no parasitical or mechanical loss) but it takes a hell of a lot more than double the horsepower. You can turn an "A" impeller at 3000 RPM's with a little less than 100 hp according to the Berk charts. Or, you can turn it at 4K, producing 30% more flow (thrust) but it costs you 200 horsepower. So, by doubling your horsepower, you only go up 30% in volume. Keep going up the scale and you get another 30% more flow at 5K, but 400 horsepower is needed. Now you are at 60% more flow than stock, but 400% more horsepower. To hit the 6K mark, you need more power than Berk has on their charts. Why you ask? because the pump was not designed to be turned that fast initially. We have just adapted it for the high performance use because it is very strong, and will take the abuse, though not designed for it.
Bottom line is this... Dual Drives allow you to produce the same volume as 6K RPM's in a single jet at 3K in a dual jet. You can imagine that if each one takes 100 hp, you can then do the same work for 200 hp, instead of 650 plus. Take the same 650 hp, you will turn dual drives at 4200 or so with "A" impellers. The equivalent of 8400 RPM's with a single drive. So, with 650 horsepower, which is what we are shooting for, our pumps, with "C" impellers should be able to pull about 5200 RPMs, if you don't take into consideration the mechanical loss that we will encounter with the gear box and inefficiencies.
Hope this helps explain. Go for a ride in one. 28 foot V-bottoms with 900 hp shouldn't wrap your lips around your earlobes on takeoff, but it does with dual drive.
Take a ride, you will see. It made me a believer.
Thanks for the interest.

HighRoller
08-13-2003, 04:27 PM
RD,I heard a rumor that the new supersecret propulsion system is a trolling motor with milled heads and a nitrous fogger system which activates a plunger hooked up to the trigger on a super soaker which is mounted on the transom.But you ain't hear that from me.......By the way,Froggy check your email.You asked for suggestions and comments and you got em....

jlnorthrup122
08-13-2003, 05:48 PM
High roller hit the nail rite on the head! High roller have you been looking over the wall? :p
I almost did show the secret propution system on here on that post for you to see RD but no cowerxing came so I decided not to and now I am going to offer it to someone who has the coin to take it to the next level! Hey froggystyle you want to check out this jet drive system? Free to you, all I want is recognition for it!
I tried to PM you on it but your box is full!
good luck on your project! Check my current project out new aluminum cat lines (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003789#000001) :cool:
[ August 13, 2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: jlnorthrup122 ]

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 06:08 PM
jlnorthrup122:
High roller hit the nail rite on the head! High roller have you been looking over the wall? :p
I almost did show the secret propution system on here on that post for you to see RD but no cowerxing came so I decided not to and now I am going to offer it to someone who has the coin to take it to the next level! Hey froggystyle you want to check out this jet drive system? Free to you, all I want is recognition for it!
I tried to PM you on it but your box is full!
good luck on your project! Check my current project out new aluminum cat lines (http://forums.***boat.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=003789#000001) :cool: PM is empty now. Or, send it to wes@tridentboats.com

HighRoller
08-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey,get back to work Froggy!!There'll be no slackin off....

jlnorthrup122
08-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Let me convert my auto cad drawings over to bitmaps! Do you have R14 or newer autocad on your computer I could just e-mail them rite out of autocad! :cool:

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 06:25 PM
jlnorthrup122:
Let me convert my auto cad drawings over to bitmaps! Do you have R14 or newer autocad on your computer I could just e-mail them rite out of autocad! :cool: No, but my hull designer does. E-mail them to me and I will get them open.

moneysucker
08-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey Froggy, We are all going to El Cap on Sunday for a little test and tune if you get any time off. Take your mind off of boats by boating.

jlnorthrup122
08-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Got them converted over to bitmaps I will email them to you now!

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 06:38 PM
moneysucker:
Hey Froggy, We are all going to El Cap on Sunday for a little test and tune if you get any time off. Take your mind off of boats by boating. Depending on how my week goes, I may be water testing OTR with the new motor... and the new owner.
In any case, sounds cool. I might take you up on that. Who all is going?

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 06:39 PM
jlnorthrup122:
Got them converted over to bitmaps I will email them to you now! I just realized that my 3D Max will import AutoCAD, so I can take that format as well.

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Froggystyle:
[QUOTE]Depending on how my week goes, I may be water testing OTR with the new motor... and the new owner.
In any case, sounds cool. I might take you up on that. Who all is going? Did you sell OTR without the 509??

jlnorthrup122
08-13-2003, 07:00 PM
I just realized that my 3D Max will import AutoCAD, so I can take that format as well.
alrite I will E-mail you the autocad file now then. Did you get the bitmaps of itin your E-mail?

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 07:01 PM
al cole'holic:
Froggystyle:
[QUOTE]Depending on how my week goes, I may be water testing OTR with the new motor... and the new owner.
In any case, sounds cool. I might take you up on that. Who all is going? Did you sell OTR without the 509?? No, but on the last trip out (the one to Mead) I had a harmonic balancer go south and with it the crank.
So, I pulled the motor, had it re-built with a brand new crank, bearings and blueprint and am selling it to the same guy (Clownpuncher) for the same price.
Cost him two weeks, but gets a new motor out of it. I call that good.
In any case, the motor is now done and we just have to install it. Probably Thursday, gone Friday but we will see.

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Froggystyle:
[QUOTE]No, but on the last trip out (the one to Mead) I had a harmonic balancer go south and with it the crank.
So, I pulled the motor, had it re-built with a brand new crank, bearings and blueprint and am selling it to the same guy (Clownpuncher) for the same price.
In any case, the motor is now done and we just have to install it. Probably Thursday, gone Friday but we will see. Ain't that a bitch! You always sell a boat and BAM the harmonic takes a shit, the crank takes a shit, or **** I don't know the thing DETONATES!! :p ...hahahahahaaha, someone is gonna want to kill me when they read this :D Sorry bro, I am gonna be talkin shit for a while...

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
al cole'holic:
Froggystyle:
[QUOTE]No, but on the last trip out (the one to Mead) I had a harmonic balancer go south and with it the crank.
In any case, the motor is now done and we just have to install it. Probably Thursday, gone Friday but we will see. Ain't that a bitch! You always sell a boat and BAM the harmonic takes a shit, the crank takes a shit, or **** I don't know the thing DETONATES!! :p ...hahahahahaaha, someone is gonna want to kill me when they read this :D Sorry bro, I am gonna be talkin shit for a while... Sounds like you have been on the other side of this equation! Well, I am taking care of it 100% and he will be very happy. I am really glad it happened to me and not him. Good guy who I can't wait to hang with at the river.

mbrown2
08-13-2003, 07:15 PM
al cole'holic:
Froggystyle:
[QUOTE]Ain't that a bitch! You always sell a boat and BAM the harmonic takes a shit, the crank takes a shit, or **** I don't know the thing DETONATESLOL...I am sure I will be getting shit for a while...I got my flame suit on... :) :D :)

Sea Esta
08-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Froggy, How will this new design handle water at Lake of the Ozarks? If you have been there you know what I am talking about. It gets pretty rough on the weekends there.

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 07:18 PM
mbrown2:
[QUOTE]LOL...I am sure I will be getting shit for a while...I got my flame suit on... :) :D :) ...you got me bummed now bro, I thought you was gonna hang under the radar and away from any response.

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Sea Esta:
Froggy, How will this new design handle water at Lake of the Ozarks? If you have been there you know what I am talking about. It gets pretty rough on the weekends there. LOTO, and it's inhabitants were a huge reason we built the boat the way we did. In fact, I am trying to get someone to invite me to this big bash you have coming up so I don't have to bring a red seat cushion on the plane to float around on.
Sounds like you guys will have a blast.

jlnorthrup122
08-13-2003, 07:30 PM
originally posted by Froggystyle:
LOTO, and it's inhabitants were a huge reason we built the boat the way we did. In fact, I am trying to get someone to invite me to this big bash you have coming up so I don't have to bring a red seat cushion on the plane to float around on.
I would help you out on this one frogy but I am in the same boat as you are. Hey I woould like to head down there too when is it again this weekend or next? Talking shootout rite?

mbrown2
08-13-2003, 07:35 PM
al cole'holic:
mbrown2:
[QUOTE]...you got me bummed now broDon't get soft now...your humor and wit kill me :D

al cole'holic
08-13-2003, 07:41 PM
mbrown2:
al cole'holic:
mbrown2:
[QUOTE]...you got me bummed now broDon't get soft now...your humor and wit kill me :D ..yeah, that's what you sayin now...as you got your broad face down on the floor with a one hand grip shoving a monster taco in her ass cause of the rage you got with this shit I be spoutin off about.....hahahahha :D
[ August 13, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: al cole'holic ]

FryJet
08-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Froggystyle:
moneysucker:
Hey Froggy, We are all going to El Cap on Sunday for a little test and tune if you get any time off. Take your mind off of boats by boating. Depending on how my week goes, I may be water testing OTR with the new motor... and the new owner.
In any case, sounds cool. I might take you up on that. Who all is going? Hey Froggy, if you want to go out just let me know. I owe you one for the pics you helped me out on. Look on the Jets page under "SD East County Crew". I just heard through the grapevine that there will be some good running rigs out there on Sunday. I have open seats if you want to cruise out, hey, even an hour is better than nothing. Whatever you do, dont get burnt out. R and R does some good every once in a while. Let me know.
F.J.

Froggystyle
08-13-2003, 10:39 PM
FryJet:
Froggystyle:
moneysucker:
In any case, sounds cool. I might take you up on that. Who all is going? Hey Froggy, if you want to go out just let me know. I owe you one for the pics you helped me out on. Look on the Jets page under "SD East County Crew". I just heard through the grapevine that there will be some good running rigs out there on Sunday. I have open seats if you want to cruise out, hey, even an hour is better than nothing. Whatever you do, dont get burnt out. R and R does some good every once in a while. Let me know.
F.J. Count me tenatively in. Either with OTR getting tested or riding with you.
It will be good to see you again Chris.

clownpuncher
08-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Froggystyle:
al cole'holic:
Froggystyle:
In any case, the motor is now done and we just have to install it. Probably Thursday, gone Friday but we will see. Ain't that a bitch! You always sell a boat and BAM the harmonic takes a shit, the crank takes a shit, or **** I don't know the thing DETONATES!! :p ...hahahahahaaha, someone is gonna want to kill me when they read this :D Sorry bro, I am gonna be talkin shit for a while... Sounds like you have been on the other side of this equation! Well, I am taking care of it 100% and he will be very happy. I am really glad it happened to me and not him. Good guy who I can't wait to hang with at the river. 100% true. Wes is the first person I ever met or had business dealings with from the HB boards. On my way to pick the boat up I get a phone call on my cell. It's Wes and he doesn't sound happy. Long story short, he told me what happened to the crank and gave me the option of pulling out of the deal without any fallout. After a few beers and some talking with the boss (Jayme) we decided that Wes was a stand-up man of his word and called to tell him I'll still take the boat. He agreed to make it 100% right, to the tune of two weeks of his time (time away from Tridizzle Custom Bizzle) and a shit load of his own money. I paid him the next day for the boat and kept looking at the pics of OTR on Hot Boat and Hot Boat Cove. Killer looking ride IMO that will perform/sound as well as it looks. Can't wait to get on the water and have some fun. Thanks Froggy. Now get to work :D
[ August 14, 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

clownpuncher
08-14-2003, 05:25 PM
I meant to say this on my original post but forgot. When Wes came to my place a couple of weeks ago he showed me plans on the new Trident. I don't know boat design any better than I understand women, but, I have to say that I don't blame him in the least for being secretive about his new designs. It's not a design copied from, or even similar to another custom boat. He didn't just tweek a couple of things and add new cup holders. After knowing Wes and dealing with him with OTR I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy one of the new customs. What can I say about the new desings? Can you say, "Revolutionize"?
[ August 14, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: clownpuncher ]

Sea Esta
08-14-2003, 06:10 PM
LOTO Shootout is next weekend. Boat is full but if Froggy and JL need a place to sit your welcome to park.
Spoke to Froggy today at length about the boat. Sure great guy to talk to about boats. Taught me a few things I hadn't considered before. Who knows, maybe we'll see one of his boats at LOTO soon... :cool:

jlnorthrup122
08-14-2003, 06:17 PM
Sea esta we should meet up I would like to meet you and your crew and I think it would be interesting to meet Froggy as he seems to be more noledgable on the technialities of Boat building than myself and that could be a good conversation! Yeah PM me sea and I could call you up tomarrow after I talk with my wife! I think I will check into barowing that beater boat to! :cool:

Sea Esta
08-14-2003, 07:13 PM
JL, I'll post over at partyboating.

Froggystyle
08-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Not going to make it to Missouri this weekend. Thought long and hard about it, but such is life.
I wish I had planned the trip. I really need to see what you custom guys do for fun out there.