PDA

View Full Version : New California Noise Laws

BigBoyToys
10-12-2003, 08:10 AM
FYI, our soon to be ex-governor quietly signed AB1555 into law on September 24. That is the law that pertains to new noise limits on boats. In a nutshell, ALL boats must have mufflers and cannot exceed the following noise limits.
654.05. (a) A person may not operate a motorized recreational
vessel in or upon the inland waters of this state in a manner that
exceeds the following noise levels:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976, a noise level
of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized
recreational vessel.
(2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and
before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a
distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise
level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized
recreational vessel.
Better break out that ticket book now 'cause there ain't no way my boats are gonna meet those numbers......mufflers or no mufflers!

BigBoyToys
10-12-2003, 08:14 AM
Here's a little more on it....
(b) A motorized recreational vessel that is operated in or upon
the inland waters, or in or upon ocean waters that are within one
mile of the coastline of the state shall be equipped at all times
with a muffler or a muffler system that is all of the following:
(1) In good working condition.
(2) In constant operation.
(3) Installed in a manner that effectively brings the vessel into
compliance with Section 654.05.

Boatcop
10-12-2003, 08:38 AM
What's "new" about the noise laws?
They've been on the books and enforced for over 20 years.
The only difference now is the way they are measured.
Here's the text of the law that's been around for as long as I can remember.
654. The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any motorized recreational vessel shall be effectively muffled at all times to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and as may be necessary to comply with Section 654.05.
This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard
permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in the
designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.
654.05. (a) No person shall operate any motorized recreational vessel in or upon the inland waters of this state in a manner that
exceeds the following noise levels:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1976, a noise level of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(3) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(b) Testing procedures employed to determine noise levels shall be in accordance with the Exterior Sound Level Measurement Procedure
For Pleasure Motorboats of the Society of Automotive Engineers in its recommended practice designated SAE J34. The department may, by
regulation, revise the measurement procedure when deemed necessary to adjust to advances in technology.
(c) This section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels competing under a local public entity or United States Coast Guard
permit in a regatta, in a boat race, while on trial runs, or while on official trials for speed records during the time and in the
designated area authorized by the permit. In addition, this section does not apply to motorized recreational vessels preparing for a
race or regatta if authorized by a permit issued by the local entity having jurisdiction over the area where the preparations occur.
654.06. No person shall sell or offer for sale at retail any internal combustion engine for use on any motorized recreational vessel which, when operated, exceeds the following noise levels:
(a) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1974, and before January 1, 1976, a noise level of 86 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(b) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1976, and before January 1, 1978, a noise level of 84 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.
(c) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1978, a noise level of 82 dbA measured at a distance of 50 feet from the motorized recreational vessel.

BigBoyToys
10-12-2003, 08:42 AM
So, is it worse or better in the way that they are measured? I wasn't sure what the previous laws were. Guess I must be lucky :D

gnarley
10-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Alan, can you give a comparison to the different levels of compliance such as 82 DBA's @ 50 feet would sound like what? How would someone determine what their own exhaust noise level is?

Infomaniac
10-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Looks like all Marine Assault engines need to come with a pre 1976 certificate. wink I'm sure I can come up with at least one component that falls in that time frame. The engine was just damaged and had to be rebuilt :D Too bad the only thing that could be saved were the cam gear bolts.
[ October 12, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

Boatcop
10-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Here's a really good study of noise analysis, if you've got the time to read through it all:
Noise And Its Effects (http://www.nonoise.org/library/suter/suter.htm)
Here's a list of comparable sound levels:*
Police siren: 118
Rock band, disco: 115
Missing muffler: 115
Hole(s) in muffler: 111
Tailpipe damage: 109
Circular saw: 107
Hole/break in pipe from engine to muffler: 105
Internal muffler deterioration: 104
Heavy truck at 90 feet (40 mph): 99
Power mower: 92
Freight train at 50 feet: 88
Printing press: 80
Vacuum cleaner: 74
Busy street traffic: 70
Air-conditioning unit: 60
Interior of a quiet car: 50
Private office: 41
Library: 33
Threshold of hearing: 0
*From Albuquerque, NM Published study)
Interesting facts:
Sound at 155 decibels can burn the skin.
Sound at 180 decibels can kill.
If there's any doubt to the damaging effect of noise, I'm a walking, talking example. I have significant hearing loss in most ranges, and an almost constant ringing in my ears. This, I've attributed to headphones, concerts, and my choice of music. (now and as a kid) Not to mention 28 years of exposure to heavy machinery in and around boats and aircraft, and almost 10 years in ship engine rooms.
You may not realize how much permanent damage you're doing to your hearing, from just one day on the flattie.
And it IS permanent. Once it's gone, it doesn't come back. Cochlear implants and hearing aids don't give your hearing back to you, all they do is ampiify sound to make what nerves you've got left better able to percieve it.

Kindsvater Flat
10-12-2003, 11:22 AM
I don't think with the cam and compression that I run. I could fall into those numbers. No matter the muffler or how much water I run through them. As of now with mufflers and water I cannot talk to my passenger at 3k rpm.

BigBoyToys
10-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Power Mower is 92? eek! Time to retire the powerboats and break out the canoe folks! :mad:

Havasu Hangin'
10-12-2003, 11:34 AM
I think the HH Tugboat is safe- it's alot quieter than a printing press...
...although the printing press is probably faster.

Essex502
10-13-2003, 01:01 PM
The full text of the bill in question is below:
AB1555 (http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/acsframeset2text.htm)
The good news is that the newly revised sections of the law won't be in effect until January 2005!

mbrown2
10-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Has anybody ever had their twin 300x outboards tested? I am wondering if they are over the limit...not sure what I can do for mufflers on these

OGShocker
10-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Essex502:
The good news is that the newly revised sections of the law won't be in effect until January 2005! I am NOT busting your nutz here, but WHERE IS THE GOOD NEWS? This is one more attack on our lifestyle. This POS should have been dragged for the governors mansion by his heals on October 8, 2003. What employer (besides government) fires someone then lets them stay in the job long enough to screw with those he figures cost him his job. What Joe Davis is doing borders on vengence! My .02

Boatcop
10-13-2003, 03:32 PM
BoatCop, do you think any boat with a big block and through transom exhaust can pass the new requirements?
The "new" California law is based on a more accurate testing method. I haven't seen any side by side studies of how the new method compares with old one, but if I hear of, or find one, I'll let everyone know.
It's hard to say which engine/exhaust combination will or won't pass. All I know is that unless or until Arizona adopts the new SAE standard, I won't be able to attend any training on it.

Mandelon
10-13-2003, 03:55 PM
But the San Bernardino and Imperial Valley cops can enforce it on the lake and the river, no? On either side from what I have read here.

77charger
10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
RiverDave:
BoatCop, do you think any boat with a big block and through transom exhaust can pass the new requirements?
2ndly do you think any boat with OT's can pass them?
I've been told on both accounts that neither can, but as always it's just the "word on the street."
RD RD i think we are safe with the thru hub exhaust.Just got to watch the radio noise i heard it gos ast the 86db limit :D

Havasu Hangin'
10-13-2003, 04:04 PM
77charger:
...Just got to watch the radio noise...An interesting choice of adjectives for the Riverdave CD collection...

SUPERCREWJOHN
10-13-2003, 04:18 PM
It is unbelievable what that douche bag is has signed now that is he is a Lame Duck Governor. I would like to know how much Enron money greased his pockets to look the other way on that one as well.
Let's not get started on drivers licences for Illegal Aliens and Free school tution for them too.
How he managed to get these things signed is beyond me.
This noise legislation is just one more sign that he is an intergalactic idiot, and $$$ Sierra Club dollars that greased his pockets probably pushed thing along.
I believe in a case of a recall, his legistaltive powers should be revoked so that he can not pass anything maliciously!! We should keel haul that Gay Davis :mad:

Essex502
10-14-2003, 05:37 AM
OGShocker:
Essex502:
The good news is that the newly revised sections of the law won't be in effect until January 2005! I am NOT busting your nutz here, but WHERE IS THE GOOD NEWS? This is one more attack on our lifestyle. This POS should have been dragged for the governors mansion by his heals on October 8, 2003. What employer (besides government) fires someone then lets them stay in the job long enough to screw with those he figures cost him his job. What Joe Davis is doing borders on vengence! My .02 OG....Good is relative to bad...at least we have 14 more months to do something about it like buy mufflers. frown

OGShocker
10-14-2003, 06:19 AM
Essex502:
OG....Good is relative to bad...at least we have 14 more months to do something about it like buy mufflers. (They gave me enough time to hide.... sell my guns. wink I guess I should be happy they are giving us time to move to Utah. :D
I will be leaving the land of my birth. frown

Essex502
10-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Utah has marine noise laws too. Plus on Lake Powell you will be subjected to the Federal statutes on noise which includes a 22 meter noise limit and a static test (SAE J2005, again). There's really no hiding from the fact that we'll all be putting mufflers on our boats soon or later or going to through hub exhaust!

Dave C
10-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Flatulence (after Burrito): 100 DB
I wonder what the difference in noise between thru transoms that are wet & dry. I notice significant difference in noise with the dry pipes being much louder. I would think that wet pipes are within the limits or at least reasonably close.
It also seems to me that the local “enforcement” matters here. Our locals only enforce those that present an egregious violation of the law and let the rest of us go about our business. I.E. open headers, zoomies, loud blower = ticket. Everyone else with some sort of mufflers = OK.
With the older jet boats & bigger motors I would get questioned but once they determined that I had some sort of muffler devices they usually let me go (with a dirty look of course) With the new boat, they don't even bat an eyelash at me.
I don't know if this treatment translates over to your area.