PDA

View Full Version : Renegade's dual Jet drive, a real world test

superdave013
04-25-2003, 12:16 PM
OK, I was at Renegade the other day and snapped a few pics of their new dual jet drive boat. I didn't have my digi cam. I used someone elses and wouldn't you know it but only 2 came out. And they are not that good. I'm going back tonight to get some more pics as I hear the engine is now installed.
This is also one of Harold Bruce's of R&D Marine set-ups.
That last one I don't call a real world test as it had a 1,300hp-turbine engine in it. Not many of us run those. (even though we would like to)
This one is a 23' Renegade (the high freeboard version) and is getting a bone stock 496HO bolted to the dual pumper set-ups. Now they have built lots of these boats with the 496HO/Bravo set-ups. As a matter O fact my buddy have a brand new one. So it will be nice to be able to compare apples to apples this time.
Then from what I'm told after they get the baseline a big inch high HP deal is going it.
Will be interesting to see how much it picks up.
Anyway, I'll get you some better pics soon. For now these will have to do.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9DSC00001-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9DSC00003-med.jpg
[ April 25, 2003, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Blown 472
04-25-2003, 12:18 PM
What is the advatage to dual jets?? more flow??

superdave013
04-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Blown 472:
What is the advatage to dual jets?? more flow?? I don't know. Lets wait and see.

Blown 472
04-25-2003, 12:30 PM
It looks cool as hell.

superdave013
04-25-2003, 12:33 PM
[ April 25, 2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

superdave013
04-25-2003, 12:33 PM
RiverDave:
I want to go out and see this thing run first hand. Any word on when it's going to be ready?
RD There is some boat show at smellsomemore that they are shooting for. I'll get the date for ya.

Rexone
04-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Blown 472:
What is the advatage to dual jets?? more flow?? we get to sell you 2 jet pumps.
:D

Tom Brown
04-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Rexone:
Blown 472:
What is the advatage to dual jets?? more flow?? we get to sell you 2 jet pumps.
:D IOW, 'YES'.

RaysonKid
04-25-2003, 06:49 PM
I dont know much.
But those are going to take a hell of alot of torque to turn.
With one motor?

Tom Brown
04-25-2003, 06:53 PM
What kind of transmission are they using to get N2 down to a useable speed?

Coach
04-25-2003, 08:45 PM
I was talking to Ron, the owner of Renegade, about the dual set up. It sounds like his plans are to make a 24-25 ft jet with the dual set up and run a single engine with more HP to drive the jets. He is looking into geting a 24 foot cat deck to run this. Because the guys who make the dual jet set up are very close to his shop he is looking to do more with it. The hole shot on the boat must be sick. It would finaly give the jet owner a chance to go 80+. He said he rode in a dual that was doing 70+.

Coach
04-25-2003, 08:48 PM
SuperDave-
Did you ask why the jets are so close together? Why don't they move the jets out farther from one another? I will have to ask Todd on Monday.

Infomaniac
04-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Coach:
I was talking to Ron, the owner of Renegade, about the dual set up. It sounds like his plans are to make a 24-25 ft jet with the dual set up and run a single engine with more HP to drive the jets. He is looking into geting a 24 foot cat deck to run this. Because the guys who make the dual jet set up are very close to his shop he is looking to do more with it. The hole shot on the boat must be sick. It would finaly give the jet owner a chance to go 80+. He said he rode in a dual that was doing 70+. HP = RPM's
Not usually desireable with a pleasure jet because it means high RPM cruise also.
Needs big Torque. Like maybe a Quad Whipple? or something blown.

Tom Brown
04-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Coach:
SuperDave-
Did you ask why the jets are so close together? Why don't they move the jets out farther from one another? I will have to ask Todd on Monday. Also, this may have been answered in another thread but is it single or dual intake? I assume dual but???

Kwicherbichen
04-25-2003, 09:38 PM
I rode in a Ultra dual jet that Harold had at LE last summer. I think it had a stock 502? I didn't really notice anything major happening on the top end but we never opened it up all the way. The thing I noticed most was how fast it gets out of the hole and on plane. It happens like.......bam!
The boat show that is coming up at Elsinore is on the calendar associated with my message board if you want to look for the date.

Tom Brown
04-25-2003, 09:40 PM
I've heard that they leave really hard.

01RENEGADE
04-26-2003, 02:18 PM
I was at Renegade- Harman marine today droping my boat off for service and saw that boat.Ron is suppose to have the boat finished for the boat show at lake elisnore 0n may 2nd and 3rd for demo rides.

old rigger
04-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Boat for boat (especially when dealing with 23+ foot long boats), motor for motor and equal HP, I think the bravo's gonna shit on this thing across the board.
And it's gonna do it on a lot less gas.
the dual jet might have the hole shot, big deal.
Rons an old friend and Harold use to do the pumps for us at Rogers, in fact he did 2 for me for my own boats, and he's got decades of pump knowledge behind him but I can't understand the attraction for running this set up? Most jets have their tongues hanging out trying to power one impeller, much less two.
What am I missing? What's the big gain here? Years ago we did dual pump set ups using dual intakes on 25 and 28 foot V bottoms. They were a bitch in the tight turns, having one intake suck air and throwing the boat into a spin, so I like the intake Harold has come up with, but really, what's all the fuss about?

572Daytona
04-26-2003, 04:31 PM
OR, how about dollar for dollar? I don't know the price of a dual jet setup but the mercruiser sterndrive packages have been getting more and more expensive every year. Jet drives should have the edge on price both initially and in cost of ownership over the long run especially in high horsepower applications. I'm happy someone is trying new ideas, just because it didn't work really well 30 years ago doesn't mean you shouldn't try to improve on in and make it work.

old rigger
04-26-2003, 05:17 PM
I think you're right on all accounts. especially on someone trying something new. It's exciting to see Harold doing something like this, and I think your right about the cost. Even though you're adding the extra cost of another pump and the drive to couple the two of them, it's probably a lot cheaper than a Bravo, or any outdrive for that matter.
But if you're running a stock motor, even the high horse power package, and your MPH turns out to be only slightly more that a set up with one pump, whats the point? If you gotta build a big killer engine to make it run the big numbers, where's the savings? The I/O, I would think, would be a much nicer, cleaner and certainly a much more efficient set up.
The stuff we did back in the late 70's was nothing like the set up here. We had dual intakes and staggered dual BBCs. They were pretty fast (it's been way to long to remember any speeds, again, nothing like today) but it realy wasn't a set up that I'd want to own. Christ, the fuel alone to run twin BBC's in a jet would kill me. But they did work, so to speak. (I'm laughing right now at the thought of my dad being thrown around in the boat as it was spinning out. With no interior.) We even built a few of them like that to be used as patrol boats in a 3rd world country. Mounted a 50 caliber machine gun on the decks of them.
It will be interesting to see what the tests show. I wish Ron anad Harold all the best.

Jrocket
04-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Blown 472:
What is the advatage to dual jets?? more flow?? Sucks twice as bad!!!! jawdrop