PDA

View Full Version : mercuiser 496mag vs. marine power 496 mag

iparky
09-07-2003, 01:34 PM
A buddy of mine is getting a new boat, the dealer was going to put in a mercuiser, but now says there is a problem hooking up to the Dominator pump. WTF . Is there a difference in price and is he getting screwed. If he is getting screwed we will advise on the shady A##hole (dealer) who is tring to pull this off.

Irishluck
09-07-2003, 01:54 PM
I have never heard of that, what dealer is telling your buddy this?

bordsmnj
09-07-2003, 07:51 PM
i don't think merc. makes a motor for a jet.i forget exactly why that is but i doubt you'll ever see a merc powering a jet. Marine power makes a decent motor and i believe comes with a one or two year warrenty.oh, and Marine power doesn't cost as much. when i was designing my boat last feb i couldn't make up my mind weather i wanted a merc. i/o or a 502 jet. the 496 i believe replaced the 502(carb) but it is injected. that's all i think i know :D
if it's a custom boat your buddy's building he should pretty much be able to pick any damned motor he wants. i believe Indmar and Marine Power are the popular two that i think alot of custom builder are(non--highperformance, i.e. 20'+bow rider etc) using for jets these days.
please post what yuh find out and let me know if i'm wrong about any of this. -jas
[ September 07, 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]

HighRoller
09-07-2003, 08:28 PM
You can get the 496MAG in a jet no problem,I've seen a bunch of them and have talked to guys on here who have jets with mercruiser engines and like them pretty well.They are probably not as good out of the hole because they are cammed for a stern drive but you can still get one from any major boat builder.As a matter of fact Ultra has a 21 Stealth for sale with a 496 on their site.

rvrjunky
09-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Call Todd at Harman marine in Anaheim. He sells both motors and does a lot of work on jets. He could tell you.

iparky
09-08-2003, 09:49 AM
thanks for the info. it sounds like maybe the marine 496mag will be the better, but i will contact harden and john @ ultra to confirm. Again thank you. :D
Hey What happen to this same post on hot boats west. WTF up with that

bordsmnj
09-09-2003, 05:29 AM
iparky:
thanks for the info. it sounds like maybe the marine 496mag will be the better, but i will contact harden and john @ ultra to confirm. Again thank you. :D
Hey What happen to this same post on hot boats west. WTF up with that it's actually in"just jets" or "hot boats" :cool:
[ September 09, 2003, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: bordsmnj ]