PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio Options

THOR
04-01-2003, 07:46 AM
Is there a way to add XM to a factory stereo system? I am curious. Thanks

Reaper1
04-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Yes, it's done through FM receiver. You have to buy the tuner and the antenna. Any stereo gurus correct me if I'm wrong. I have the XM and love it. I hardly ever listen to regular radio anymore, well except for Kevin and Bean in the morning.

Steamin' Rice
04-01-2003, 08:30 AM
I have XM in my truck and it connects through an FM modulator like Reaper said.. There is a separate tuner control for the XM, but the factory is still there and fully functional. I really like it and may look into adding it to the boat

ROZ
04-01-2003, 08:55 AM
The above is correct. In addition, there are a few accessory companies that produce adaptors that allow you to add xm through the cd changer input of some OEM stereos.

THOR
04-01-2003, 10:24 AM
How do I get these adapters/FM modulators? Are they easy to install? Remember, I am an idiot.

boatnam2
04-01-2003, 03:20 PM
hey roz i would like to get xm also.where is a good place in corona area to get it done?

ROZ
04-01-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm sure the adaptor is an easy to connect. It probably a changer connection on one side with an rca input on the other. 2 companies to look at are Blitzsafe and periferal. I'm sure they would have them.
Boatnam, I'm sure there are several companies in your area that carry XM. If you'd like to use one of my stores, PM me. Tyler Mall is the closest to you.

teambnr
04-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Can you get 2 XM "hook-ups" and 1 tuner. I'm thinking 1 for the house and 1 for the boat. I can't see paying $9.99 per month for something I only use 15 weekends a year. Tomorrow I'm looking into it. I saw both "Best Buy" and "Circut City" advertise the "mobil" hook-up and "home" hook-up for 69.99ea. and the tuner for 129.99. Does that mean I can take the home tuner with me and put it in the boat and vice versa when I get home? I already do that with my Direct TV. Any thoughts?

ROZ
04-01-2003, 10:12 PM
teambnr:
Can you get 2 XM "hook-ups" and 1 tuner. I'm thinking 1 for the house and 1 for the boat. I can't see paying $9.99 per month for something I only use 15 weekends a year. Tomorrow I'm looking into it. I saw both "Best Buy" and "Circut City" advertise the "mobil" hook-up and "home" hook-up for 69.99ea. and the tuner for 129.99. Does that mean I can take the home tuner with me and put it in the boat and vice versa when I get home? I already do that with my Direct TV. Any thoughts? I think what they have there is the Delphi Xm unit. It's an XM receiver/tuner in one. It can be mounted in a "vehicle" RF, cassette adaptor, or OEM adaptor, as well as at home, as long as you have the home accessory kit. The unit is like 130. The car kit is like 50. The home kit is around 70.
I think that it's the easiest portable XM unit.
Hope this helps.

boatnam2
04-01-2003, 10:26 PM
hey roz i e mailed you.let me know if you got it.

DirtyBob
04-01-2003, 11:03 PM
Reaper1:
Yes, it's done through FM receiver. You have to buy the tuner and the antenna. Any stereo gurus correct me if I'm wrong. I have the XM and love it. I hardly ever listen to regular radio anymore, well except for Kevin and Bean in the morning. I think it's called a FM modulator, similar to those used by disc changers. I have a XM radio capible receiver, I have yet to purchase the tuner/tenna combo. It must be bitchin in a boat :D :D
[ April 01, 2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: DirtyBob ]

Uplink
04-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Can you get 2 XM "hook-ups" and 1 tuner. I'm thinking 1 for the house and 1 for the boat. I can't see paying $9.99 per month for something I only use 15 weekends a year. Yes, you can, just get a second antenna and a second control unit, mount the satellite receiver with velcro or something, and just unplug it and plug it into you boat.
I use the Alpine modulator with my factory GM radio, it sounds great. It just plugs between your stereo and the antenna coax. The Alpine even has AUX RCA inputs so you can plug in your DVD player's or playstation audio.
XM is better than having a CD changer IMHO, because you have CD quality audio and so many channels with non-stop music that it "feels" like your listening to own mix CD's. The nationwide coverage is unbeleivable, no fading or noise like FM, even works in my closed garage. I never listen to CD's or the regular radio anymore, except for traffic reports occasionally. Its a great gadget. <Mark>

ROZ
04-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Uplink:
Can you get 2 XM "hook-ups" and 1 tuner. I'm thinking 1 for the house and 1 for the boat. I can't see paying $9.99 per month for something I only use 15 weekends a year. The Alpine even has AUX RCA inputs so you can plug in your DVD player's or playstation audio.
XM is better than having a CD changer IMHO, because you have CD quality audio and so many channels with non-stop music that it "feels" like your listening to own mix CD's Yup, That's how I have the audio from my PS2 hooked up :cool:
The only thing about going FM mod, is that the sound going out is only as good as the tuner inside the OEM stereo is....These days they're pretty good.
I love my XM
Mr Boatman, I did get your email. I'll respond to you in the morning....You too CHris!

THOR
04-03-2003, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys.....