PDA

View Full Version : Nice

Blown 472
03-20-2003, 07:45 AM
web page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2867619.stm)
I put this up not as a bash on any country, just the fact our econmy sucks and we can find this money to help another country. Pisses me off. :mad:
[ March 20, 2003, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

LHC30Victory
03-20-2003, 08:17 AM
You sound a bit like an isolationist.
While I am against war in general for the destruction and sorrow they cause, I believe that at times wars are necessary (as in Iraq at the present time).
That being said, I think all of you who read this should take a look at Newsweek of March 24, 2003...In particular the four articles that comprise "Why America Scares the World." This sort of puts our abilities to help (others) in perspective and inplies that we are not doing so to the best of our abilities.
What do Y'All think???

Blown 472
03-20-2003, 08:20 AM
FourWinnsFamily:
You sound a bit like an isolationist.
While I am against war in general for the destruction and sorrow they cause, I believe that at times wars are necessary (as in Iraq at the present time).
That being said, I think all of you who read this should take a look at Newsweek of March 24, 2003...In particular the four articles that comprise "Why America Scares the World." This sort of puts our abilities to help (others) in perspective and inplies that we are not doing so to the best of our abilities.
What do Y'All think??? Perhaps, but color me stupid but I like to have a job and be able to pay my bills and bailing other countries out when we need it is kinda stupid but then what do I know.

TOBTEK
03-20-2003, 08:21 AM
that does suck......but HEY did ya notice the two hotties :D :D

Blown 472
03-20-2003, 08:33 AM
chicks and missles, how cool is that??

miller19j
03-20-2003, 08:56 AM
That is just the tip of the iceberg. We give money out all over the world and get very little in return for it. I think that we should start scaling back on our foreign aid. I would be curious to see exactly how much we give to foreign countries total.

Kilrtoy
03-20-2003, 09:11 AM
that is almost as good as thongs beer and boats.
I agree with you Blown, charity starts at home. But I can understand what they are doing....I know it's gonna start now.......lets hear it

Froggystyle
03-20-2003, 09:36 AM
"The US will deduct from the loan guarantees any Israeli expenditure on settlement activities in Palestinian areas."
You didn't happen to notice this part, where it is boldly stated that any dollar spent on moving into Palestine is a dollar they don't get from us, did you?
That is worth the whole shebang right there. We are paying them, in essence, to not squash Palestine.
At least that is my read on that...

Froggystyle
03-20-2003, 09:49 AM
RiverDave:
Froggystyle:
"The US will deduct from the loan guarantees any Israeli expenditure on settlement activities in Palestinian areas."
You didn't happen to notice this part, where it is boldly stated that any dollar spent on moving into Palestine is a dollar they don't get from us, did you?
That is worth the whole shebang right there. We are paying them, in essence, to not squash Palestine.
At least that is my read on that... Wes, please PM me with your address so that I may mail you 20.00. (It would appear that we are at war).
I wonder how I would keep track of what you spent it on though if there was a condition to that 20.00?? (Just a thought)
RD Well, I could send you are receipt for half of my car wash today...
Realistically, since you can't figure out which money went where, what it is saying, I think, is that no money can be spent developing or moving into Palestine for the duration of this loan.
Just my read on it...

Blown 472
03-20-2003, 10:58 AM
That being said, I am pissed to the fact people are being layed off in this country, skools suck due to lack of money and we are shipping money over seas to which we get NO TANGABLE RETURN on MY TAX DOLLARS.
Also if the economy slips further people will stop spending money on plesure items, which in turn I am sure will effect your bottom line froggy. I am not looking for a pissing match just stating my opinion. :D
[ March 20, 2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Blown 472 ]

miller19j
03-20-2003, 11:01 AM
I am upset that we give money to baby producing crack heads. I think that we could find better, more productive things to do with out tax dollars. But that is a whole other issue.

Froggystyle
03-20-2003, 12:51 PM
I would personally rather subsidise peace in the middle east than welfare. Strong foreign policy will result in global market trade opportunities. That will benefit everyone.
[ March 20, 2003, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Froggystyle ]

Irishluck
03-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Well said Froggystyle.

miller19j
03-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Froggystyle:
I would personally rather subsidise peace in the middle east than welfare. Strong foreign policy will result in global market trade opportunities. That will benefit everyone. So would I. But do you really think peace in the middle east is obtainable? Or even just peace in Israel?
I am afraid that we cannot achieve peace in that area. They have so much resentment for the US any involvement by us would just flame the fires.

Froggystyle
03-20-2003, 01:08 PM
There is always room for peace.
Self governing, self determining people rarely respond violently. I would imagine that if Iraq were made to be a beacon of freedom and wealth in the middle east, after decades of tyranny and unrest, people will follow suit.
I think one of the fundamental problems in Iraq is one person being in power so long, with no means of electing change.
With no control over the outcome, people become lethargic about attempting change.

miller19j
03-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Yes, But after being corrupt for so long it is very difficult to start a stable government. Look at Russia they are still having trouble with their New Democratic government. Most of the people alive in Iraq today have only known one leader and who is to say that they aren’t happy with the government they have right now. It is much easier to change a system when the people want it changed. I don’t think that we really know if they do or don’t want a change.
To top it all off how do you make sure that the new government does not follow the ways of the old. One way would be to have US involvement. But that would enrage the Arab world even more. It is a very complicated problem.
Don’t get me wrong I support the efforts but I think that they may bee doomed from the start.

Seadog
03-20-2003, 01:36 PM
Most of the people who live under a dictator just go with the flow. The rest fight it or resent it in their own ways and there are always some who enjoy it. Even today, a lot of Russians yearn for the good old days. Things weren't that much better, they just heard about it less.
Ask any liberal and they will tell you that the rich have more of a responsibility to pay higher taxes to support good causes. The Republicans promote the wealthy and middle class giving to charity on personal basis. It all boils down to that we expect those that have to help those that don't have and to be a good neighbor. We are the wealthiest nation and as such we feel obligated to be a good neighbor. Our big problem is that we sometimes get caught in a neighborhood fight and we rarely make all the right decisions.