PDA

View Full Version : Poor Man's Pool (serious)

luvmyboat
08-06-2003, 07:15 AM
Having just bought a house (yea!) and having kids = broke. I saw this above ground pool at Walmart, 4' deep, 16' diameter. Thought the kids might like it......what a great idea!! It came complete with filter and ladder for 200.00 or so. Since it was "get married and buy house BEFORE fix boat motor", this is a good way to stay cool this summer.

JetBoatRich
08-06-2003, 07:22 AM
Are the kids happy :( that is what is important, keeping the wife and kids happy while you fix the boat eek!

HOOTER SLED-
08-06-2003, 07:51 AM
luvmyboat:
Having just bought a house (yea!) and having kids = broke. I saw this above ground pool at Walmart, 4' deep, 16' diameter. Thought the kids might like it......what a great idea!! It came complete with filter and ladder for 200.00 or so. Since it was "get married and buy house BEFORE fix boat motor", this is a good way to stay cool this summer. Start using algae control and keep it in check. The filters suck on those pools. Don't let it get too warm to help control the algae too. The vacuums that come with those suck too. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot. They have better vacuums there(not much better though) for about $20. I'm in the process of emptying mine after about 2 months of having it up. I kept the chemical levels alright the whole time. It just started getting too warm and in came the algae. These pools are inexpensive, but they aren't cheap to maintain. Good luck, have fun. Hope this helps.
HOOTER

luvmyboat
08-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Hooter: had my go-round with the algae. Found a great solution for when we went camping (2 days no chlorine) and came back to a green pool. 1. Shocked it (super chlorine) 2. Took out filter element and disconnected filter lines. 3. Took wifey's vac. hose, connected it to intake and hooked a garden hose to return line. I vaccummed the pool bottom, letting the green water drain to gutter. 30 min's pool was clean. I have already gotten more than my $$'s worth.....the kids LOVE it! Need to make more $$'s for a built in. We are in Southridge (Fontana) gets mighty hot here.

rrrr
08-06-2003, 08:56 AM
One of my renters bought one, I helped him out with the chemicals and his kids love it. Not a bad deal for those with a budget.
About $8 a week should cover the chemical costs.

HOOTER SLED-
08-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Yea, I've been working on figuring something out for a better vacuum and filter. But you know what, this weekend I'm going to the lake. I was gonna buy a section of that pool hose too and use the pool pump to vacuum it out(without the filter. I've just been busy, and lazy too. I've definetely got my $$ worth out of it too. The kids dig it. My wife digs it. I give her shit when I come home sometimes and she's out there just kickin' it. Must be nice to stay at home while I'm at work bustin' my ass. She laughs. I figure it's a nice pay back when I get to watch her skinny dip. :D :D
HOOTER

luvmyboat
08-06-2003, 09:02 AM
.....skinney dip......ah yes. Daylight - 9:00 = kids time. Moonlight is our time! Kinda nice how warm the pool gets...perfect for night play.