PDA

View Full Version : Speed on Rice Road

TCHB
08-25-2003, 08:50 PM
How fast do most of drive on rice road? I try and stay around 75.

Kilrtoy
08-25-2003, 09:10 PM
TOWING or NON-TOWING
cruising speed or FASTEST one shot

ColeTR1
08-25-2003, 09:12 PM
I talked to a CHP that patrols Rice Road he sets his radar to beep at 71mph. So I go 70 no worries, if you go 5 mph faster it's only going to save you a few minutes.

bordsmnj
08-25-2003, 10:25 PM
i go by temperature.the hotter the slower- unless i'm not towing. if it's traffic time like say friday eve or sun afternoon i just avoid that road. on the way home i especialy like to keep my nerves intact for as long as i can which basically is about the time i hit the 91/15 interchange if there's still traffic. :rolleyes:

BajaMike
08-25-2003, 10:39 PM
BajaMike:
TCHB:
How fast do most of drive on rice road? I try and stay around 75. I was wondering the same thing last night...I left my truck and boat at a friends in Havasu City and drove my BMW 540 back, hitting Rice Rd around 7:00 pm. I passed a couple big rigs just out of Vidal Junction, and set the cruise control at 90 to 100 all the way, just passed a few trucks and boats (and a white Expedition going 90) the whole way.
A couple miles out of Dessert Center I slowed down to 70 for traffic, and 2 CHPs were sitting in the dark on the side of the road. I lucked out.
It took me 6 hours to get out to Havasu from Dana Point (with my truck and boat), and 4 hours to get back.
Fun drive!
How often do you see CHP on Rice Road?
smile_sp
[ August 26, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: BajaMike ]

River Lynchmob
08-26-2003, 06:56 AM
at night around 70 to 75 during the day if traffic is light around 85

OGShocker
08-26-2003, 07:39 AM
I don't tow on Rice road but, I can tell you that in Palm Desert, the tow limit is 55! Rat bastard Chippie wrote me for doing 66 MPH on Sunday. I know I was "speeding" but the jackass :mad: smiled when I asked him "how much is this going to cost me?" Then I asked "how much food are you taking from my families table?" He shruged his shoulders. I was calm and respectfull the whole time. I wish these guys would think about how much beer duh, fuel doh, food money they cost us when they write tickets!
Thanks for the VENT space.
OGS

OGShocker
08-26-2003, 09:06 AM
eek! The DuraMax just won't pull thse kind of numbers. eek!
RiverDave:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/375over100mph.jpg
RD wink

HighRoller
08-26-2003, 12:56 PM
I don't tow on Rice road but, I can tell you that in Palm Desert, the tow limit is 55! Rat bastard Chippie wrote me for doing 66 MPH on Sunday So he's a bastard for doing his job? Then I asked "how much food are you taking from my families table?" Well,seems to me since you even admitted that I know I was "speeding you're the one that cost your family all that money.I wouldn't say the CHP officer was the jackass in this instance because you're calling him a bastard for giving you a ticket you rightly deserved.

OGShocker
08-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Before I reply to High Roller, allow me this opportunity to state in fact. I am a great supporter of law enforcement personnel and their families. They do a job few would enjoy. They do do this job not for fame or the big money, they do it for us, those who cannot stand the post.
I don't tow on Rice road but, I can tell you that in Palm Desert, the tow limit is 55! Rat bastard Chippie wrote me for doing 66 MPH on Sunday.So he's a bastard for doing his job? I use Rat Bastard as a term of endearment. This guy was a nice caring fellow who, out of the kindness of his heart pulled me over out of 20 or so others and gave me a ticket for endangering the lives of my fellow travelers as well as my two friends who rode if me. Clearer for you HR?
Then I asked "how much food are you taking from my families table?"Well,seems to me since you even admitted that I know I was "speedingI was, I am a bad, bad boy. I was towing a triple axle trailer with four disc brakes on it with a truck built to haul 5 times the load it was pulling. I was driving on a eight lane highway in light traffic.
you're the one that cost your family all that money.I wouldn't say the CHP officer was the jackass in this instance because you're calling him a bastard for giving you a ticket you rightly deserved. [/QB][/QUOTE]
In summation, you sanctimonious wind bag you. This Rat Bastard found someone to write up. He was not looking out for unsafe motorist', had he been he would have tagged the dipsh*t in the fastlane tailgating the older(80)man in front of him. He was generating revenue for a bankrupt State. It is in 95% plus of the cases, ABOUT the MONEY!
So High Roller, KMA and hava nice day :)
OGS
PS. How often do you think my Rat Bastard friend drives the speed limit? No need to answer, your words sting me too much anyway.

HM
08-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Amazing how it is safe to tow in Arizona at 70 MPH, but as soon as you cross over to CA, it is only safe to tow at 55 MPH.
I have seen the CHP's go through spurts of enforcement, and I think that is the frustrating part for most. Most of the time, they don't give you a second look, but then they "crack down" without too much warning.
Luckily, I have only gotten 1 ticket for speeding while towing, about 10 years ago - can you say Traffic School? wink

missboatnam1
08-26-2003, 04:01 PM
about a 120 id say...... eek! i try not to, but the beemer just flys thru there!! eek!

Kilrtoy
08-26-2003, 04:19 PM
What does KMA mean,
and how many feet per second are you traveling at 66 miles per hour,
and
No warning at all
Are there no speed limit signs on this road we call RICE

HighRoller
08-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Oh Boo-F$%kin Hoo...you're gonna try to explain to me how unfair it is that Smokey Bear nailed your nuts to a tree to get money for the state.Do you know what I do for a living?I drive one of those trucks that are the main target of the CHP, and they make no bones about it.They buy cars solely for the purpose of busting trucks,the weigh stations are open 24 hours a day inspecting trucks to make revenue.I know that it's not about safety,so get off it.I'm a bigger target than you will ever be and I deal with it.I've run hundreds of thousands of miles in California in a high profile vehicle and NEVER...I repeat NEVER got a speeding ticket.I can be fined 1500 dollars PER PAGE if my log book is found to be non-compliant.So stop whining about your piddly ass speeding ticket.You talk about the harm this guy did to your kids?What lesson are YOU teaching your kids by calling a law enforcement official a bastard for just doing his job.Yeah,everybody speeds,but guess what? Just because everybody does it don't make it right!!Be a man,suck it up,pay the ticket and go about your business.And I have the right to be a"sanctamonious windbag" on this subject because the road is my home a lot of the time and my truck pays for the roads you drive on.You obviously have the freedom to act as you like when driving and I have the freedom to comment on it.

Kilrtoy
08-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Im sorry high roller I wont do it again, Oh wait you werent talking to me, never mind... :D

hot_diggity_dog
08-26-2003, 04:35 PM
The DuraMax just won't pull thse kind of numbers.
80-90 in the Dodge Turbo Deisel wink
HDD :cool: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/55013_13-200679-med.jpg
HDD :cool:

BGMAN203
08-26-2003, 04:46 PM
between 75-80 depends on traffic, towing I do about 62

Ziggy
08-26-2003, 04:50 PM
missboatnam1:
about a 120 id say...... eek! i try not to, but the beemer just flys thru there!! eek! I didn't know you drive one of MY cars---I'd shoot ya another fiver but you already got it a while back wink
HDD--80-90???? whew, flash the highs when you get ready to pass me. I'll max at 80 when its clear sailin otherwise its more in the low 70's.(better mileage)-5mph over 4 hour drive equates to 20 minutes that might be saved IF you make all the traffic signals.
I don't get why everyone seems to get so tense on Rice...its just a road with cars/trucks on it. Keep your eyes open and be aware, its no different than any other road. IMO

H20 Party Starter
08-26-2003, 04:52 PM
70-75 towing.......pinned @ 99 not devil

AzDon
08-26-2003, 04:59 PM
They write big trucks on Rice Rd at 60 mph and I assume that vehicles towing get the same treatment. The best survival strategy I know is to not be the most deserving victim! Example: If you are following another tow rig, he's more deserving, and likely his headlights are out of adjustment as well! Your trailer lights aren't working? you just became more deserving! If you are one of those immature specimens that just HAS to be going 20 mph faster than everyone else, a good radar detector will almost always warn you 5 seconds before visual contact, but you will probably not be able to slow substantially before LE is able to spot you!

hot_diggity_dog
08-26-2003, 05:18 PM
HDD--80-90???? whew, flash the highs when you get ready to pass me. I'll max at 80 when its clear sailin otherwise its more in the low 70's.(better mileage)-5mph over 4 hour drive equates to 20 minutes that might be saved IF you make all the traffic signals.
I depends on the conditions and traffic. wink This would be a max speed not the whole way. :rolleyes:
If there's traffic I usaully hang back. wink
Hot (Got the Freaking high Beams on) Diggity Dog :cool:

HighRoller
08-26-2003, 05:59 PM
The reason people get so tense is because you have A-holes who have to pass everyone they come upon.And if they go to pass two cars but can't make it they cut off the rear car to get back in,causing the car to slam on its brakes.Rice Road is not dangerous,it's the people who drive like dumbasses who are.They apparently don't know what a double yellow means or they don't care.

H20 Party Starter
08-26-2003, 06:26 PM
HighRoller==> Just another person in my way on Rice Road!

OGShocker
08-26-2003, 09:16 PM
H20 Party Starter:
HighRoller==> Just another person in my way on Rice Road! Be carefull when you pass HR, the wind from this sanctimonious wind bag might blow you over.
Hey HR, Thank you for being the only class of driver to pay road taxes. Your money is well spent here in California. You better get back in the Flying J, your shower is ready.
OGS
PS. KMA means Kiss My A$$!

Kilrtoy
08-26-2003, 09:21 PM
KMA means Kiss My A$$!
So when I watch LAPD life on the beat and the cops say KMA, he is really saying kiss my ass
and all those kma license plate frames also mean kiss my ass

BajaMike
08-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Ziggy:
missboatnam1:
about a 120 id say...... eek! i try not to, but the beemer just flys thru there!! eek! I didn't know you drive one of MY cars---I'd shoot ya another fiver but you already got it a while back wink
. IMO I agree...I thought I was being safe at 90 to 100mph.....I drive one of "Your cars".
With a trailer, I never go over 70.....
burningm
Mike

OGShocker
08-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Kilrtoy:
KMA means Kiss My A$$!
So when I watch LAPD life on the beat and the cops say KMA, he is really saying kiss my ass
and all those kma license plate frames also mean kiss my ass :D LMAO!
My KMA meant KissMyA$$.
At LAPD it stands for Kilo Mike Alpha. wink

HighRoller
08-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Hey OGS,I may be a windbag but at least I know that 66 is higher than 55.Please post a picture of your stupidity award from the CHP so we can all see how bad you are at math.In the meanwhile I'll enjoy all the money I didn't have to spend on tickets.If you need any tips on driving in California without getting popped let me know!!

ColeTR1
08-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Ok guys here are the numbers. When you leave 29 palms on highway 62 ever see the sign that says next service 120 miles that is Parker.
If you go 65mph it’s going to take you 1 hour 51 minutes.
Speed…|...Time to go 120 miles…|...Time saved
70 mph … |…1 hour 42 min… |… 9 minutes
75 mph … |…1 hour 36 min… |… 15 minutes
80 mph … |…1 hour 30 min… |… 21 minutes
85 mph … |…1 hour 25 min… |… 26 minutes
90 mph … |…1 hour 20 min… |… 31 minutes

Kilrtoy
08-26-2003, 10:55 PM
So that means,
at 70MPH you will travel 102.62 feet per second
at 75MPH=109.95 FPS
at 80MPH=117.28 FPS
at 85MPH=124.61 FPS
at 90MPH=131.94 FPS

LAPD Gary
08-27-2003, 12:10 AM
No, as much as we all would like to believe KMA means that in LAPD, it actually is the name of the band frequency of our radios. KMA 367 would be that. The old one you see on plate frames sometimes was KJC625. Our officers will usually end a long message talking on the air with KMA to note they are done with the message by posting the frequency name.
All Ca. Police dept's have different freq. labels, ours just got popular and I personally think it's stupid to be "showing your colors" when off duty,IMHO.
As for fatalities and accidents on Rice road. I talked to sergeants from both stations that cover the two halves (enforcement wise) on this subject last year.
The road from Desert Center to Vidal Junction averages 3-5 fatalities a year, the majority of those are on the second half towards Vidal. An average of 23 collisions occured with 18 injuries over the last 3 years. Both sergeants overwhelmingly agreed that the majority of accidents occurred during the summer months.
And for those that don't know,
A CHP officer was killed on that road in 99", he was hit head on by the turn off to 29 palms by a "river person" in a mini truck. He was confirmed to have been staying with a group from Parker strip. He crossed over the double solid yellow to pass and hit the officer head on. This idiot had just been cited for doing the same thing less than an hour prior to the accident.
So remember this next time you see CHP officers "holding the line" on that road. Lord knows I would if I had lost a brother officer on that road, each one of them could be next.

OGShocker
08-27-2003, 05:42 AM
HighRoller:
Hey OGS,I may be a windbag but at least I know that 66 is higher than 55.Please post a picture of your stupidity award from the CHP so we can all see how bad you are at math.In the meanwhile I'll enjoy all the money I didn't have to spend on tickets.If you need any tips on driving in California without getting popped let me know!! HR:
You cheated and used your fingers and toes while counting didn't you. Good job though.
Thanks again for paying everyone elses road taxes.
You might reply but now, that would just be sad.
BTW, who helps you with the big words? Nevermind.
OGS
[ August 27, 2003, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: OGShocker ]

AzDon
08-27-2003, 08:14 AM
If you go thru Yucca Valley and 29 palms, you probably not committed to speeding!
The distance from Desert Center to downtown Parker is only 86 miles!

Ziggy
08-27-2003, 11:14 AM
ColeTR1:
Ok guys here are the numbers. When you leave 29 palms on highway 62 ever see the sign that says next service 120 miles that is Parker.
If you go 65mph it’s going to take you 1 hour 51 minutes.
Speed…|...Time to go 120 miles…|...Time saved
70 mph … |…1 hour 42 min… |… 9 minutes
75 mph … |…1 hour 36 min… |… 15 minutes
80 mph … |…1 hour 30 min… |… 21 minutes
85 mph … |…1 hour 25 min… |… 26 minutes
90 mph … |…1 hour 20 min… |… 31 minutes My point exactly**15-20 minutes saved is not worth risking my family. Passing at designated places when 100% sure its clear, none of this "well it looks ok but...." crap. I value my life and those of others on the road. This simple fact came to light for me one time when I was hurrying to Havasu and got pulled over...he let me off but simply stated "the lake ain't going anywhere, it'll be there in the morning". Grateful to that LHCPD for the warning and enlightenment...plus my wife sitting next to me saying "See I told you" :D
I have to mention also and I hope I don't hurt RD's rep here :rolleyes: ....but a week and a half ago he passed me on Rice while I was towing and I can say he was not even near the speed(speedo pic) he posted here. Said to wife, "hey that was RD and he's driving really nice".
LAPD Gary,
I see the cross for the CHP near the intersection and let that remind me of the dangers that can be on that road. If memory serves me correct the idiot kid that caused the crash was from Oceanside as well :( and was not a frequent river person.
I see lots of people drive fast on Rice but the majority appear to be(by observing their road knowledge) very aware and use the proper places for passes.(kinda like RD's point on boating after a few drinks) Its the non-regulars who seem to be most problematic and make the bad choices.

ColeTR1
08-27-2003, 11:21 AM
The difference between going 70 and 85 on rice road from Desert Center to Parker is only going to save you 13 minutes. You have to ask yourself is 13 minutes worth a 200 dollar ticket plus your insurance going up? cry Plus the safety factor. eek!

CA Stu
08-27-2003, 12:57 PM
I wonder what the correlation between age and Rice Road speed is? I know when I was 21 I broke the speedo on my Mustang GT on that road. Stupid gauge only went to 85 mph and I pinned it for so long it just went “ping” and stayed at zero.
Now I’m older and wiser (and more handsome), I’m one of those “idiots” that goes about 60-70 and gets there in a good mood, all mellow and such.
I have too much to lose by speeding like a "maniac".
So go ahead and pass me, I’m just cruisin’.
What’s that joke about the old bull and the young bull? You old guys know it :D
CA Stu

Ziggy
08-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Age or being in the "know"(oh shit we can die) has plenty to do with it...things change.
Funny thing is there are many times that someone who passed me way back yonder is now behind me after their quick roadside stop or I'll end up right behind them at the Vidal Jnktn STOP sign.

Ziggy
08-27-2003, 04:46 PM
RiverDave:
All this talk on the boards has slowed me down. wink :D
RD <--- Gettin old Did you see..I gave you props for being a good driver a few posts back :D :D